Cutting one's hair at home

Discuss how hair loss has affected you, someone you know, or a public figure.
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 2 months ago

Who else is now faced with this dilemma?

I think it's particularly hard as balding guys who (if you're like me) have an entrusted barber to ensure its always cut the same way each time, to minimize the aesthetic damage that a bad hair cut can do to our temples or thin spots.
Look, fat...

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 2 months ago

Nobody really gives a damn how anybody looks right now.

If i had a decent hair i'd just not cut it for a month. My hairs pretty bad so i just shaved it and cut my losses.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 months ago

If I had the head shape for shaving, I would do it. My head is very oval shaped, and I actually look very strange when my hair is too short.

I went down to a #4 guard one time, and that looked really bad.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Johnson wrote:
2 months ago
If you're isolating with coronachan you still care how your hair looks.

Especially if cabin fever is making you paranoid she's wondering why she dates you :|
Look, fat...

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

Johnson wrote:
2 months ago

If i had a decent hair i'd just not cut it for a month. My hairs pretty bad so i just shaved it and cut my losses.
when ur facetiming some hoes u will care how u look

Added in 50 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
Who else is now faced with this dilemma?

I think it's particularly hard as balding guys who (if you're like me) have an entrusted barber to ensure its always cut the same way each time, to minimize the aesthetic damage that a bad hair cut can do to our temples or thin spots.
just grow ur hair out bro

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
2 months ago
Or when you have a job interview on Whatsapp, I was actively trying to avoid looking at myself, but even in the corner of my eye, there was no unseeing it: I looked like a poodle.

My wife already told me she feels an urge to cut my hair.

Ah well, I guess I'm going to give it a shot myself, it's not like I have no experience doing that.

Wish me luck pepe-sweating.
:christian-cross:

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

koolaidshade wrote:
2 months ago

Added in 50 seconds:

just grow ur hair out bro

Expectation

Reality
Look, fat...

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » 2 months ago

It's not perfect, but getting a close one to help out is the answer. If you can live with them seeing your hair in all its non-glory that is.

I have solely been getting cuts from my girlfriend even before lockdown. Saves a ton a of money and avoids the stupid anxiety you get whilst getting cut at a barber shop or salon under crazy bright lights.

EDIT: I tried doing it myself once. Didn't work :straight-smile:

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

White Ferrari wrote:
2 months ago
It's not perfect, but getting a close one to help out is the answer. If you can live with them seeing your hair in all its non-glory that is.

I have solely been getting cuts from my girlfriend even before lockdown. Saves a ton a of money and avoids the stupid anxiety you get whilst getting cut at a barber shop or salon under crazy bright lights.

EDIT: I tried doing it myself once. Didn't work :straight-smile:
No I cannot live with this :? I'm guessing you must be pretty dense and maybe temples is the issue? Because as much as my density has improved, I would be so anxious with my girlfriend standing over my head for 20mins (which I guess would be how long it would take first effort) it doesn't matter if she's already seen my hair at it's worst, I would be bricking it.

My hair at it's worst is probably when I wake up as I sleep on my face/side of face and my hair pushes against the pillow a lot, because it's still diffuse and thin in parts it looks pretty shit until I fix it in the morning and sweep it back. Of course I'm highly aware of this when I first wake up.

I have been going to the same woman to get my hair cut for years and I'm used to that and she's been very polite about it, even at it's worst. It's single appointments only so at worst there's only 1 other guy waiting, and the lights aren't that bright.
Look, fat...

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » 2 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
No I cannot live with this :? I'm guessing you must be pretty dense and maybe temples is the issue? Because as much as my density has improved, I would be so anxious with my girlfriend standing over my head for 20mins (which I guess would be how long it would take first effort) it doesn't matter if she's already seen my hair at it's worst, I would be bricking it.

My hair at it's worst is probably when I wake up as I sleep on my face/side of face and my hair pushes against the pillow a lot, because it's still diffuse and thin in parts it looks pretty shit until I fix it in the morning and sweep it back. Of course I'm highly aware of this when I first wake up.

I have been going to the same woman to get my hair cut for years and I'm used to that and she's been very polite about it, even at it's worst. It's single appointments only so at worst there's only 1 other guy waiting, and the lights aren't that bright.
Not dense but recession is definitely the main issue yes.

Fair enough, I can understand why that would be nerve wrecking. I have just accepted that my girl will see my hair in any and all states. It really isn't gonna be possible in a relationship to eternally cover up how bad it is. Would at least be very stressful to do so.

Char
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nothing.

Post by Char » 2 months ago

Fuck this quarantine. I can't even fly to get a hair transplant.
Speaking of this topic, I had my father cut my hair. It turned out like shit as always because I'm a bald fuck. Well, at least my mom thinks it's okay. This quarantine forced me to live with my parents since my university closed down, lol.

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

Char wrote:
2 months ago
Fuck this quarantine. I can't even fly to get a hair transplant.
Speaking of this topic, I had my father cut my hair. It turned out like shit as always because I'm a bald fuck. Well, at least my mom thinks it's okay. This quarantine forced me to live with my parents since my university closed down, lol.
Living at home with the parents always interupted my masturbation routine.
Will my America ever be great again?

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Post by kj6723 » 2 months ago

I've stopped shaving in addition to the crazy situation that is going on on the top of my head. I'm going to take advantage of this time to play up the Methusaluh look

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

I dont think i've had hair this long since like high school lol, starting to look like justin bieber. i'll just keep growing it out but only shaving my face, sideburns and nape

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 1 mg Finasteride, Saw Palmetto, Nizoral, Regenepure, Alcepin

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 2 months ago

I cut my own hair every three months or so. Usually leave two inches on top, one inch on the sides/back and 1/2 inch on the bottom. Been doing this for over 10 years now out of fear of having to go to a barber/hair salon. And I still shave daily since I hate facial hair. Sadly I'm "essential" so despite not having to come into work as often, I do still have to come in every now and then and thus can't fully embrace the homeless look.
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind