Having to switch from Propecia to generic finasteride

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
1000 graft temple transplant with Dr De Reys 04/19

Post by Johnt1997 » 2 months ago

Hi guys

I get my prescriptions for Propecia from boots pharmacy. I reordered my stock last week and i was generic finasteride instead. I went in to store on my lunch break to ask about this and theyve ran out of Propecia as their supplier having difficulties(understandable)

I was just wondering, i know main chemical is the same but minor ingredients can differ between brands, is it perfectly okay to switch to generic finasteride for a few months? There won't be a danger of new side effects, etc

Sorry if this has already been asked

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

From what I remember hearing on the podcast 'The Bald Truth', it's relatively common for people who make that switch to lose ground, unfortunately. Spencer Kobren himself explained that to put it simply, the generic version just isn't as potent.

I don't recall the people calling the show noticing any difference regarding side-effects.

My mother who works in the pharmaceutical industry has often warned me about generics. She's always urged me to insist on getting "the real deal" when I was going to the pharmacy.

So I'd advise you to go to another pharmacy to find out if they still have the brand kind in stock. You could even consider ordering online, even though it's not something I would recommend.

And then as a last resort, I guess generic finasteride would still be better than nothing.
:christian-cross:

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Post by kj6723 » 2 months ago

I had good results with generic finasteride for 2.5 years. Was mostly Camber brand during that time, although a couple times they gave me some other brand I can’t remember the name of. I never took brand name propecia though. In theory it should be no different as long as it comes from a legit pharmacy. The answer you’re looking for is going to be based mostly on anecdotal reports though. I don’t know if a study exists that makes the comparison

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

Admin wrote:
2 months ago
From what I remember hearing on the podcast 'The Bald Truth', it's relatively common for people who make that switch to lose ground, unfortunately. Spencer Kobren himself explained that to put it simply, the generic version just isn't as potent.

I don't recall the people calling the show noticing any difference regarding side-effects.

My mother who works in the pharmaceutical industry has often warned me about generics. She's always urged me to insist on getting "the real deal" when I was going to the pharmacy.

So I'd advise you to go to another pharmacy to find out if they still have the brand kind in stock. You could even consider ordering online, even though it's not something I would recommend.

And then as a last resort, I guess generic finasteride would still be better than nothing.
finasteride (and dutasteride) are already potent. It won't matter if your 1mg pill only has 90% of its stated dosage. I find it hard to believe that the generics would be off by such a significant amount