Three FUE hair transplants - 5124 grafts - NW6 - Rudi De Reys

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

Char wrote:
1 year ago
I always imagined that your result was better, Fred. Looks too weak, but that's just my opinion.
No problem man, I appreciate your honesty.

You do what you can with the cards you've been dealt :).
:christian-cross:

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Hanginginthewire » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
This guy has a significantly better donor hair quality, a curl which helps hugely for coverage and a smaller area to cover. Better initial temple points and crown. Plus 2000 more grafts.

In no world is this a "similar" donor or situation lmao.
How can you see what kind of donor he has? I’m asking out of curiosity because it all looks pretty much the same to me....? What are the signs you are looking for?

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Hanginginthewire wrote:
1 year ago
How can you see what kind of donor he has? I’m asking out of curiosity because it all looks pretty much the same to me....? What are the signs you are looking for?
It's always hard to evaluate. The only way you can now objectively is to have it measured by a hair transplant surgeon.

Bisanga told me straight: 65 follicle units cm², and the average is 70 follicle units per cm². So mine was slightly below average.

For that reason, around 5000 grafts in total will really be my upper limit.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

@JeanLucBB - did you have an opinion on my question about donor areas above?

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

Hanginginthewire wrote:
1 year ago
@JeanLucBB - did you have an opinion on my question about donor areas above?
Very curly hair which immediately aids coverage greatly, he's got roughly a NW5 donor pattern while @Admin's is bordering on a NW6, you can see in the comb through particularly how thick and weighty the hair is also. Also in the comb through the density evidently isn't particularly high and is actually quite weak in areas, but it still looks natural, and almost a full head of hair because of the great donor characteristics. Admin has larger balding area, evidently thinner hair and much weaker donor density.

in my opinion this is as far either side of the spectrum as you will get, even someone who hasn't looked at a million transplant results will be able to see. If they're closer on the spectrum obviously photos aren't a perfect way to judge unless they show great detail from a variety of perspectives, but these two cases are immediately obvious for at least an estimate comparison.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dustasteride 0.5 milligrams daily, Finasteride 1mg topical, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Very curly hair which immediately aids coverage greatly, he's got roughly a NW5 donor pattern while @Admin's is bordering on a NW6, you can see in the comb through particularly how thick and weighty the hair is also. Also in the comb through the density evidently isn't particularly high and is actually quite weak in areas, but it still looks natural, and almost a full head of hair because of the great donor characteristics. Admin has larger balding area, evidently thinner hair and much weaker donor density.

in my opinion this is as far either side of the spectrum as you will get, even someone who hasn't looked at a million transplant results will be able to see. If they're closer on the spectrum obviously photos aren't a perfect way to judge unless they show great detail from a variety of perspectives, but these two cases are immediately obvious for at least an estimate comparison.
It definitely does. At one time, believe it or not, I had a thick afro.

Now, I have a Norwood 3.5 John McEnroe hair line.

mcenroe_john.jpg
mcenroe_john.jpg (2.19 KiB) Viewed 2889 times

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Very curly hair which immediately aids coverage greatly, he's got roughly a NW5 donor pattern while @Admin is bordering on a NW6, you can see in the comb through particularly how thick and weighty the hair is also. Also in the comb through the density evidently isn't particularly high and is actually quite weak in areas, but it still looks natural, and almost a full head of hair because of the great donor characteristics. Admin has larger balding area, evidently thinner hair and much weaker donor density.

One more question for you, and I apologize if I’ve asked you this before - how do you differentiate NW5 and NW6. I have a tough time delineating one from the other. I know I can google the Norwood classification system but in your own words how would you describe it? I’m diffusing and I feel like whether it’s a 5 or 6 pattern means the difference between pursuing transplants or not.

BaldingChicken
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Finasteride.

Post by BaldingChicken » 1 year ago

I see De Reys and Bisanga mentioned here a couple times, what about Feriduni? Is he worse than those other 2?

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

BaldingChicken wrote:
1 year ago
I see De Reys and Bisanga mentioned here a couple times, what about Feriduni? Is he worse than those other 2?
First welcome to this forum :).

Second, no Feriduni is on the same footing as Bisanga and De Reys, the guy really achieves state of the art results.

The only other time he was mentioned on this forum was in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=296&p=8456#p8456

BaldingChicken
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Finasteride.

Post by BaldingChicken » 1 year ago

Already got an appointment with Bisanga who wanted to do 2000 FUT + 1500 FUE and promised great coverage and Feriduni who wanted to do 2000 FUE but aim for a higher hair line. I am going to go to De Reys and see what he says but I'm really torn. The FUT scar thing freaks me out.

Money is absolutely no issue, but the decision is hard. :|

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

1 year and 1 month update after second FUE (2024 grafts on front and mid-scalp):
2nd-FUE-1year-update.jpg
2nd-FUE-1year-update.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 2672 times

Third FUE - 1100 grafts on the crown area in February 2019

Crown before:
FUE-crown-before.JPG
FUE-crown-before.JPG (317.17 KiB) Viewed 2672 times

Crown post-op:
FUE-crown-1100-grafts.JPG
FUE-crown-1100-grafts.JPG (314.31 KiB) Viewed 2672 times

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: nothing

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

Fuck, judging from first picture you went from bald head to nearly full head. Now with this crown work you might become true full head, congrats man. All hail our beautiful Admin!

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » 1 year ago

With Toppik (spray and fiber) you can make your crown look normal and it only take ~5-10 minutes to do. My vertex balding is as bad/worse than yours and after I work my concealer magic no one suspects anything. You should try it. Your front, especially in that last pic above with the longer hair, looks amazing and natural! Congrats!

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

If the placement of the grafts has been done particularly well the crown can potentially look quite full even with the relatively low number. I know that you'd never do it, but I suspect that you could likely get 2500 grafts still via FUT, which would be enough for temple reconstruction and to lower the hair line close to a NW1ish level. Already a million times better than pre-transplant and don't understand how anyone can say they wouldn't be happy with this result, especially in the gym selfie it looks like a normal situation for someone around 30, the preop was state was awful. Even a huge improvement from the second op over the first.

justin
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Nothing

Post by justin » 1 year ago

So.. today marks 5 months since my 2nd transplant. There's already a noticable improvement, since my situation is similar to yours, I'd like to ask how much additional growth do you think I should see in the next few months? Not sure what to expect at this stage.
Even when I’m lying on my back I’m never backing down.