Got turned down by hair transplant clinic, was offered a freaking SMP

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
Char
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nothing.

Post by Char » 3 weeks ago

My Norwood was too high for them. I'm officially NW5. Two more to go. They turned me down because I can't take finasteride and my thyroid problems. They offered me SMP instead, showed me a picture of some old man's scalp as their top result. I wasn't impressed since they didn't show me the front which is the most important part. They even tried to offer me useless PRP. I guess it's wig time now, boys. What a disastrous day.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 3 weeks ago

Chances are you went to a shit clinic. There are thousands of incredible NW5 results, unless you have a thinning donor or serious retrograde alopecia chances are the clinic just wasn’t competent in higher Norwood work. What was the clinic?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

I'm sorry you got turned down. It also happened to me a couple of times before I saw De Reys for the first time back in 2013. Dr. Bisanga and the prohairclinic refused to operate on me for the same reasons, minus the thyroid problems. You're kind of lucky to have been at least offered SMP. Bisanga suggested it but the BHR clinic wasn't offering at the time, and the prohairclinic was just like "you're too blond for SMP", so that was off the table too. They concluded the appointment with "baldness really suits you" and "you should get a hair piece, they make really nice ones nowadays".

Suicide fuel.

The fact that I was repeatedly told that I should use finasteride to stop my hair loss from progressing any further (I was also NW5 at the age of 23 at the time). They also told me that my donor area was thinning as well. Fast-forward 7 years later, their predictions about my pattern and the severity of my hair loss were wrong: I ended up NW6, my sides haven't dropped at all and no, my donor was not thinning. I intuitively knew all this as I was looking for a surgeon back then.

Anyway, you should not necessarily give up here. Don't hesitate to post your pictures on here for evaluation. I won't lie, there will be cases where I'll be like: "OK, this seems hopeless" but it's very rare. I just saw results by Dr. Pradeep Sethi (The Bald Truth approved apparently) on a NW7 and it was mindblowing:

https://www.eugenix.in/norwood-class7-results.html

Even though he uses beard and body hair grafts. I didn't have to go that far but I was considering those techniques (as well as SMP) when I started my journey.

Producing decent results on people with such advanced hair loss (who often don't use finasteride, no point anymore) is quite an art and actually a niche among hair transplant clinics. I understand some surgeons want to play it safe, as Dr. Bisanga told me, "at least I know I won't disappoint someone and I'll be able to sleep at night", but in the hair transplant industry, there is also room for hair loss sufferers who just don't want to appear bald, who just want some hair on their heads.
JLBB wrote:
3 weeks ago
chances are the clinic just wasn’t competent in higher Norwood work.
Also this.
"But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” - Mark 1:25 :christian-cross:

Char
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Admin wrote:
3 weeks ago
Even though he uses beard and body hair grafts. I didn't have to go that far but I was considering those techniques (as well as SMP) when I started my journey.

Producing decent results on people with such advanced hair loss (who often don't use finasteride, no point anymore) is quite an art and actually a niche among hair transplant clinics. I understand some surgeons want to play it safe, as Dr. Bisanga told me, "at least I know I won't disappoint someone and I'll be able to sleep at night", but in the hair transplant industry, there is also room for hair loss sufferers who just don't want to appear bald, who just want some hair on their heads.
SMP is utter dog shit. Everyone on reddit says so. It looks like garbage on harsh lightning just like Toppik. Plus if you get shit result it'll stay on your head forever. My father saw a guy with SMP and immediately knew that something was wrong with him as it looked like a helmet.

They told me that if I don't use finasteride and get a hair transplant it'll be bad publicity for them since my result would look awful. They even told me that my thyroid disease is also a risk since transplanted hair may not even grow because of it.

Speaking of BHT, in most cases it looks like pubes on your head.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Char wrote:
3 weeks ago
SMP is utter dog shit. Everyone on reddit says so. It looks like garbage on harsh lightning just like Toppik. Plus if you get shit result it'll stay on your head forever. My father saw a guy with SMP and immediately knew that something was wrong with him as it looked like a helmet.

They told me that if I don't use finasteride and get a hair transplant it'll be bad publicity for them since my result would look awful. They even told me that my thyroid disease is also a risk since transplanted hair may not even grow because of it.

Speaking of BHT, in most cases it looks like pubes on your head.
There is a temporary kind of SMP (the only kind I would recommend by the way) which starts fading after a year or so. But yeah, that kind of cosmetic improvement will of course be nullified by direct lightning. I think the temporary kind can be well-done and realistic, and it will give you that shaved fullhead effect, which of course is nowhere near the appearance of a grown full head of hair, but also light years away from a slick bald NW5.

Ah so they admit it that way, it would be bad for their reputation, and again I understand. It's a valid concern, but it's also true that they're not putting the patient at the center. They could even present the case as "the best they could do in that situation", but even that they won't risk. As @JLBB said, it's either that or they're not capable of performing well on people with extensive hair loss.

We suspected it was the same for the American surgeons still saying that FUE could not work for people with advanced balding, they're just saying that because they can rack much more cash doing quick (and scarring) FUT's than FUE's that take 2 days of work.

I think their argument for your thyroid problem is a bit weak but I'm no doctor.

It's true that BHT tends to look like pubes when overdone, but mixed with regular hair grafts, I think it can look decent. But of course, like temporary SMP, it falls in the 'last resort' category.
"But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” - Mark 1:25 :christian-cross:

Char
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

I guess when corona's over I'll try contacting Dr. Cinik again. He was interested in my case (told me that I'll need 2800 grafts), but I never mentioned him anything about finasteride. I looked into hair systems and that crap only lasts 3 months and they want 900 € per system. Plus I guess it's 300 € for the maintenance kit. I wish there was some sort of temporary wig to help me cope until I get something done that does not require high maintenance and messing with glue or tape. What kind of wigs do cancer patients wear?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Char wrote:
3 weeks ago
What kind of wigs do cancer patients wear?
Expensive enough for women and cancer patients to get a 100% refund from their insurance.

No refund for men with male pattern baldness though, which is not surprising. They justify it by saying, by deciding that it's no big deal for men to be bald.

Source: my dad, hair piece wearer for now 40 years, who of course wanted to know if he could get a discount.