Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
bald2020
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 1 week ago
Reputation: 2
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Minoxidil for 3 days so far

Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by bald2020 » 1 week ago

I used to take Retin-A everyday but I only took it like 2 nights ago and haven't for a week or so out of laziness...

I use 5 percent Minoxidil foam and I have been sort of adding more than the dosage. Making sure I get a lot of coverage and rub it in good.

Can fasting be making my skin good. I know when you do intermittent fast for a long time, you're body goes into autograph or something and cleans ur skin, etc. That could be the key to stop symptoms of so called aging.

I also order finasteride prescription online and a doctor will call me Tuesday and we will discuss it, then I will get a prescription and take it. One year supply finasteride.

Should I go through with it? I have GREAT skin for my age, I am turning 23 real soon. Should I just buzz my head, and DHT max? Or go through with it.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1806
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4527
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Should I take minoxidil and finasteride?

Post by Admin » 1 week ago

Hello and welcome!

This post was a bit confusing. From what I can make out of it:

Yes, it's very possible that your skin has been improving because of intermittent fasting, it has many benefits that people are rediscovering. They're also increasingly backed up by scientific evidence, as you can see in this thread by @Afro_Vacancy:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17

And yes, you should definitely attack hair loss from all viable and proven angles in my opinion, so stick to minoxidil and give finasteride a shot. Hopefully you don't experience any side effect and it's going to be another valuable tool in your arsenal.

There is no evidence, whether scientific or anecdotal that minoxidil ages your skin. This is also explained by Afro_Vacancy and a few other members in the following topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9

The pattern is always the same, someone reads about this idea that minoxidil causing wrinkles that was launched in the late 2000's because someone found a study saying it inhibits collagen in-vitro and then all of a sudden starts thinking that minoxidil has caused them to develop wrinkles. It's never the other way around.

As for the idea of buzzing your head, most of us here believe it should be a last resort, obviously, otherwise we would all be on SlyBaldGuys :p. That means after having used all means at your disposal: minoxidil, finasteride, multiple FUE hair transplants, etc. Then you can consider throwing in the towel, but even after all that, you should look much better with some hair on your head from medication and hair transplants than if you had done nothing at all.

Good luck!
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1794
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4853
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

What may be the case with the minoxidil is that the people who are megadosing it are more likely to get wrinkles. I've read of people taking 30% minoxidil or applying 5 ml a day -- there is no point in doing so, and at they stage you are perhaps more likely to get other effects.

There are lots of anecdotal reports of intermittent fasting being good for the skin. That hasn't been shown directly, bit we know that fasting increases HGH, decreases insulin, and decreases microbial load, so it's plausible if only for those reasons.

What's your skin tone? The paler you are, the more you need to worry about skin health.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 837
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by kj6723 » 1 week ago

bald2020 wrote:
1 week ago
I have GREAT skin for my age, I am turning 23 real soon.
:eh:

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1010
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2917
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 week ago
:eh:
Exactly the same thought when I saw that, so does he have skin of like a prepubescent?! Is that a good thing?
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

bald2020
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 1 week ago
Reputation: 2
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Minoxidil for 3 days so far

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by bald2020 » 1 week ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
Exactly the same thought when I saw that, so does he have skin of like a prepubescent?! Is that a good thing?
Well my sister told me I look so young, that I look 19 when I am turning 23. My skin seems so clear to me to and smooth. This is someone who always was told I looked older than my actually age. I believe Retin A, and intermittent fasting is to blame. How long until minoxidil's supposed aging effects take place. I am thinking perhaps I should get off it and try castor oil or something and take finasteride.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 571
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by EvilLocks » 1 week ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
Exactly the same thought when I saw that, so does he have skin of like a prepubescent?! Is that a good thing?
Someone told me I had skin like a 5 year-old a couple of months ago and it was like the best compliment ever :D I think it's exaggeration but I do think I have skin like maybe someone in their late teens (minus the acne), however my features are developed like someone in their early - mid 20s. I recently turned 27.

Added in 3 minutes 39 seconds:
bald2020 wrote:
1 week ago
I believe Retin A, and intermittent fasting is to blame.
I hope you couple your Retin A with sunscreen everyday and stay away from sun on face in general. If you don't you can actually accelerate the aging process since Retin A or vitamin A in general makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1010
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2917
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
Someone told me I had skin like a 5 year-old a couple of months ago and it was like the best compliment ever :D I think it's exaggeration but I do think I have skin like maybe someone in their late teens (minus the acne), however my features are developed like someone in their early - mid 20s. I recently turned 27.
I think there's usually more of a significant difference between a female teens skin and one in mid 20s, but it's different for males, as a 32 year old I'd be happy to be told I have skin of a 24 year old or something, but early 20s or teens? That's like baby faced, no thanks.

But yeah having GREAT skin "for my age" as a 22 year old male, very odd.

As for Retin A, isn't it just safer to only apply before bed anyway? Same as retinol.
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 571
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by EvilLocks » 1 week ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
I think there's usually more of a significant difference between a female teens skin and one in mid 20s, but it's different for males, as a 32 year old I'd be happy to be told I have skin of a 24 year old or something, but early 20s or teens? That's like baby faced, no thanks.

But yeah having GREAT skin "for my age" as a 22 year old male, very odd.

As for Retin A, isn't it just safer to only apply before bed anyway? Same as retinol.
Yes you're right, males actually look better with some aging or "roughness" to their skin and overall look. To females (at least most of us) there's nothing sexy about baby faced and smooth skinned men because women seek to be protected. Men are the opposite, they want to be the protector, hence they are drawn to baby faced and smooth skinned women (fertile)
That said, like I have said before, men should also worry about aging because looking like an old grandpa is far from sexy. For me men look their best between mid 20s to late 30s, after that not so much (with a few exceptions)

I take very good care of my skin and have for a long time, coupled with a healthy lifestyle and good genetics so my skin is in great shape compared to many of my peers who have spent their youth drinking or smoking, and not to forget - baking in the sun. I can't remember the last time I got a sunburn, must have been in my childhood or something. Have been wearing spf 50 every single day for the past 4 years and counting now, before that I spent a few years basement dwelling too so that helps.

I also have something I call "natural botox" or a naturally frozen face with very little mimic, people ask me if I have botox all the time because I don't move my forehead at all, but nope, I don't have anything and I frankly have no idea why I don't move my face.

Added in 3 minutes 57 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
As for Retin A, isn't it just safer to only apply before bed anyway? Same as retinol.
I apply mine before bed because you're advised to, but you have to apply spf anyway since you will be undoing all the good work your Retin A has done with more sun damage.

User avatar
blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1613
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2797

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
I also have something I call "natural botox" or a naturally frozen face with very little mimic, people ask me if I have botox all the time because I don't move my forehead at all, but nope, I don't have anything and I frankly have no idea why I don't move my face.
I think you are subconsciously trying to minimize wrinkle development. This is what western culture has done to you.
Bring on the AFC title game!

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1010
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2917
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Rudiger » 1 week ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
Yes you're right, males actually look better with some aging or "roughness" to their skin and overall look. To females (at least most of us) there's nothing sexy about baby faced and smooth skinned men because women seek to be protected. Men are the opposite, they want to be the protector, hence they are drawn to baby faced and smooth skinned women (fertile)
That said, like I have said before, men should also worry about aging because looking like an old grandpa is far from sexy. For me men look their best between mid 20s to late 30s, after that not so much (with a few exceptions)

I take very good care of my skin and have for a long time, coupled with a healthy lifestyle and good genetics so my skin is in great shape compared to many of my peers who have spent their youth drinking or smoking, and not to forget - baking in the sun. I can't remember the last time I got a sunburn, must have been in my childhood or something. Have been wearing spf 50 every single day for the past 4 years and counting now, before that I spent a few years basement dwelling too so that helps.

I also have something I call "natural botox" or a naturally frozen face with very little mimic, people ask me if I have botox all the time because I don't move my forehead at all, but nope, I don't have anything and I frankly have no idea why I don't move my face.

Added in 3 minutes 57 seconds:


I apply mine before bed because you're advised to, but you have to apply spf anyway since you will be undoing all the good work your Retin A has done with more sun damage.
Do you have advice for dark circles under eyes? I've probably made the mistake of just applying cream/moisturizer everywhere including under eyes which I understand is sensitive, they still aren't terribly bad or anything but I just notice them getting worse and it's only gonna continue.

I bought under eye cream recently which came today, obviously it won't make a difference in hours but it did spur me on to try some tips from YouTube, cold spoons against eyes, cold dried green tea bags, and instantly and even an hour later they look so much worse :) my friend thought I got punched. Obviously I'm not too worried, probably a shock to the system.

The cream I got was CeraVe. Thank you.
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 571
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by EvilLocks » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I think you are subconsciously trying to minimize wrinkle development. This is what western culture has done to you.
Probably partially, but I've never really had a very movable or expressive face, some people are like this because of genetics. It has it's pros and cons, pros obviously being less wrinkle development, and cons being that sometimes an expressive face can be beautiful because they convey emotion, think Emilia Clarke. I love her eyebrows when she speaks!

Added in 7 minutes 10 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
1 week ago
Do you have advice for dark circles under eyes? I've probably made the mistake of just applying cream/moisturizer everywhere including under eyes which I understand is sensitive, they still aren't terribly bad or anything but I just notice them getting worse and it's only gonna continue.

I bought under eye cream recently which came today, obviously it won't make a difference in hours but it did spur me on to try some tips from YouTube, cold spoons against eyes, cold dried green tea bags, and instantly and even an hour later they look so much worse :) my friend thought I got punched. Obviously I'm not too worried, probably a shock to the system.

The cream I got was CeraVe. Thank you.
Are you sleeping enough? Poor sleep can really exaggerate dark circles. However, sometimes they're just genetic. Do other people in your family have dark circles or just you?
Also, when you say dark circles do you mean volume loss or just discoloration? Both? If you are experiencing volume loss there's not much you can do other than under eye fillers, or surgery. I'm thinking of getting under eye fillers myself, because I'm experiencing some volume loss under my eyes (not terrible), but I have been putting it off. Anyway, there's no cream that can treat volume loss for under eyes or anywhere on the face, no matter how much companies claim their products do so.
If you are experiencing discoloration or dark color under your eyes, you could try the easiest way which is makeup, or more specifically an under eye concealer. I can recommend the Tarte Shape Tape Concealer. I know it feels wrong for some men to wear makeup but if you pick the right shade literally nobody but yourself can tell.
I have also heard of cosmetic tattoo where they tattoo the color of skin under the eyes to help with discoloration, or elsewhere on the body that needs it.
Ole Henriksen has an eye cream called Banana Bright which is supposed to have a brightening effect on the under eyes (I have not tried it)
Other than this all you can do is eat well, sleep well, reduce sun exposure, stay away from drugs, smoke, too much alcohol, drink water and all that usual stuff.
by the way CeraVe is a good brand, it's recommended by many dermatologists and I use some of their products myself.

bald2020
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 1 week ago
Reputation: 2
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Minoxidil for 3 days so far

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by bald2020 » 1 week ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
Someone told me I had skin like a 5 year-old a couple of months ago and it was like the best compliment ever :D I think it's exaggeration but I do think I have skin like maybe someone in their late teens (minus the acne), however my features are developed like someone in their early - mid 20s. I recently turned 27.

Added in 3 minutes 39 seconds:


I hope you couple your Retin A with sunscreen everyday and stay away from sun on face in general. If you don't you can actually accelerate the aging process since Retin A or vitamin A in general makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight.
Hahahahahahahahaha. Stop lying and coping you utter subhuman. Jealous that people literally compliment my skin all the time, say I look like a kid, and I have terrific blessed skin genes, where I never break out or have acne. Keep crying for me you jealous coper. Copying me hahahahahah.

NO ONE said you have the skin of a 5 year old you old faggot. Look at u HAHAHA. Keep balding ye moron :).

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 571
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1779
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by EvilLocks » 1 week ago

bald2020 wrote:
1 week ago
Hahahahahahahahaha. Stop lying and coping you utter subhuman. Jealous that people literally compliment my skin all the time, say I look like a kid, and I have terrific blessed skin genes, where I never break out or have acne. Keep crying for me you jealous coper. Copying me hahahahahah.

NO ONE said you have the skin of a 5 year old you old faggot. Look at u HAHAHA. Keep balding ye moron :).
:?

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1794
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4853
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Skin benefits from fasting? Advice on minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

bald2020 wrote:
1 week ago
Hahahahahahahahaha. Stop lying and coping you utter subhuman. Jealous that people literally compliment my skin all the time, say I look like a kid, and I have terrific blessed skin genes, where I never break out or have acne. Keep crying for me you jealous coper. Copying me hahahahahah.

NO ONE said you have the skin of a 5 year old you old faggot. Look at u HAHAHA. Keep balding ye moron :).
Dude, chill out.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest