What was your motivation for trolling someone online?

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

What was your motivation for trolling someone online?

Post by Johnson » 2 weeks ago

Has anyone ever intentionally trolled online or been abusive to someone you've not met (IRL) on the internet?

What was your motive?

I see some people go onto celebrities instagrams and call them ugly or fat or retarded or something of that ilk.

Is it usually to let off steam or do they genuinely want the receiver of the abuse to feel hurt?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Re: What was your motivation for trolling someone online?

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Never trolled.
Save me from destiny.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 2 weeks ago

I don't think that what you're describing here is necessarily "trolling", as trolling isn't inherently hostile. For example, going into a vegan facebook group and then posting pictures of steaks is just provocative.

I've been intentionally "mean" to people plenty, though — when they deserve it. Just like I do IRL.

But regarding provocateurs like @blackg, generally speaking these people are just apathetic nihilists; they have no serious opinions on really anything. They just say whatever they think will get a rise out of someone.

You see this with a lot of fake Nazis and the like. I have a few friends who are like this. One of my friends from highschool literally runs Facebook shitposting groups, he trolls Jews, LGBT groups, etc. and the worst part is: Everything he trolls them with is actually true, but I've talked to him about these things, and although he's aware of the problems, he doesn't care. For him, truth or no, it just makes good fodder to piss people off.

I've pointed out to him that he shouldn't be using his real name, picture, etc. to do that kind of stuff because he has a wife and kids and in Canada, is actually risking fines and his job. But he tells me he just "doesn't give a fuck; the world's gonna end anyway, it's all hopeless, etc."

That's most internet trolls, I believe — sad, hopeless, misanthropic nihilists.

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Blackg isn't malicious in any way. He's just doing it for light hearted fun.

I'm talking about the cruel ones who really get abusive to people they don't know.

Your answer does somehow come to what I felt was the case - they're doing it to make themselves feel better.

Perhaps a run on question would be: why does being mean make people feel good?

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Johnson wrote:
2 weeks ago
He is obviously a nihilist with no serious opinion on things, though.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
He is obviously a nihilist with no serious opinion on things, though.
I have little opinion only to state that your current avatar is sure to provoke. It's also in poor taste.
Save me from destiny.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
I have little opinion only to state that your current avatar is sure to provoke. It's also in poor taste.
Says the guy with katie hill as his avatar.

Why didn't you just go all out?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
Says the guy with katie hill as his avatar.

Why didn't you just go all out?

Thanks, if only. Sexual decadence is a legitimate human curiosity. Gassing a whole race to death isn't.
Save me from destiny.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
Thanks, if only. Sexual decadence is a legitimate human curiosity. Gassing a whole race to death isn't.
The only real gas chamber is the one your congresswoman is holding

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

Johnson wrote:
2 weeks ago
What was your motive?
Putting the world back on its feet.

As with anything, there's a positive side to trolling, to playing around with words, ideas and reactions to show reality under another angle. That's what comedians do.

Calling someone ugly or retarded on Instagram isn't high-level trolling or comedy though, but what if it wasn't there? Should these people be only be praised and told they are pretty and awesome all the time? It's part of the package when you expose yourself publicly in that way, and we see all the time how easy it is to make people who are famous for being famous feel bad, since their whole self-worth is built on their public image. They keep the feedback loop alive and the trolls notice, and persist since they are rewarded.

These days, if you say anything outside the bounds of political correctness, you'll be called a troll, even if you're dead serious: "You can't possibly think that!" people will say. Well according to the updated rules of the radical left which change every day, no indeed. It happens to me a lot on social media. Like half the reactions will be laughing emojis (from conservatives) and the other half angry emojis (from communists, see, that's trolling there).

Anyway, like with anything I talked about recently, even trolling must have a purpose, which is the good, to make people laugh, to make them realize what truly matters. If you just engage in the behavior @Johnson describes in this thread, you're no better than the Joker, doing it to watch the world burn, to make people feel like shit, and there's nothing noble or admirable about that.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

It's a slippery slope - doing something negative with hope that it will have a positive outcome.

Isn't this what suicide bombers and murderers do: they justify their bad deeds by saying that person was awful and needed to be taken care of.

For me I feel it requires a certain level of arrogance to think that by laying into someone online will create good for anyone (and pompous to believe they are the ones to choose).

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

People troll online because it gives them a feeling of power.

In general, it's easier to destroy something than to build something. What the trolls realize, deep down, is that they lack the power to actually build anything.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
People troll online because it gives them a feeling of power.

In general, it's easier to destroy something than to build something. What the trolls realize, deep down, is that they lack the power to actually build anything.
First infamous online troll that comes to mind for me: what about someone like Zyzz, who kind of built something positive for himself and yet still went around trolling men and women online?

Hell, what about Nassim Nicholas Taleb? He's built something, kind of too, yet you still see him trolling anyone who doesn't think exactly like him like a four year old on Twitter.

They probably knew deep down that what they built was shaky and was a bit too remote from what matters, which caused them to develop that massive ego to compensate for their lack of substance.

So yeah, of course power over others, and particularly their emotions is part of it.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
Putting the world back on its feet.

As with anything, there's a positive side to trolling, to playing around with words, ideas and reactions to show reality under another angle. That's what comedians do.

Calling someone ugly or retarded on Instagram isn't high-level trolling or comedy though, but what if it wasn't there? Should these people be only be praised and told they are pretty and awesome all the time? It's part of the package when you expose yourself publicly in that way, and we see all the time how easy it is to make people who are famous for being famous feel bad, since their whole self-worth is built on their public image. They keep the feedback loop alive and the trolls notice, and persist since they are rewarded.

These days, if you say anything outside the bounds of political correctness, you'll be called a troll, even if you're dead serious: "You can't possibly think that!" people will say. Well according to the updated rules of the radical left which change every day, no indeed. It happens to me a lot on social media. Like half the reactions will be laughing emojis (from conservatives) and the other half angry emojis (from communists, see, that's trolling there).

Anyway, like with anything I talked about recently, even trolling must have a purpose, which is the good, to make people laugh, to make them realize what truly matters. If you just engage in the behavior @Johnson describes in this thread, you're no better than the Joker, doing it to watch the world burn, to make people feel like shit, and there's nothing noble or admirable about that.
sounds more like you're describing brutally honest appraisal, which is a lot different than flat out bullying which johnson is describing. what johnson is describing is definitely purely bad. thats bullying. people bully to secure their place in the social hierarchy. notice how its mostly middle and lower rung people who bully? their rank is insecure so they feel more of a need to confirm it. its kind of like feeling like you suck on call of duty so you go online and win against shitty people to feel better.

and i agree that you need the deep things that matter to be happy such as good relationships and self esteem. that stuff represents people appreciating you for who you are rather than what you look like or what you can do for them. short term chad/stacy type stuff like partying, drugs and casual sex doesn't bring happiness, its all fleeting pleasure. but the lack of bullying, constant validation, and easy access to high quality mates helps A LOT to facilitate getting those truly fulfilling things. for incels and other low quality beings the bullying and difficulty finding mates will make it VERY hard to get those things.

also assuming you get into fulfilling relationships as a low quality you still can't truly be happy with just that. at the end of the day even though your wife or kid loves you you're still ugly or have bad genetics in whatever other way. if you have dignity and self awareness that will always drag you down.

Added in 2 minutes 3 seconds:
Johnson wrote:
2 weeks ago

I'm talking about the cruel ones who really get abusive to people they don't know.

Your answer does somehow come to what I felt was the case - they're doing it to make themselves feel better.

Perhaps a run on question would be: why does being mean make people feel good?
yea blackg is a troll in the real sense of the word. what you say is "trolling" is abuse. trolling is essentially lighthearted.

P.S. i never bothered to look it up but i've heard a hilarious evolutionary psychology reason for bullying - to prune the gene pool. make sure bad genetics don't multiply by discouraging incels until they have zero chance of reproducing.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 2 weeks ago

Anyone who's been a regular on the internet for more than a decade or so should know that the term "trolling" has been completely warped.

How the media portray it is the middle aged housewife view of what may be happening to their children at school "oh you mean telling people their ugly and to kill themselves and be anorexic until their death, that kinda trolling!!"

No, all of that is simply online abuse or harassment, calling it "trolling" really muddies what abuse and harassment is, we don't need new buzz words for abuse.

Trolling is things like:

me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger