Do you skip or prioritize posts based on the likes they have?

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Guest-2 » 8 months ago

If people want some likes, I suggest using baby elephants.
I’m a sucker for liking baby elephant photos.
Attachments
2DE1E182-641D-401B-98BE-670FD757F1ED.jpeg
2DE1E182-641D-401B-98BE-670FD757F1ED.jpeg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Johnson
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by Johnson » 8 months ago

It all depends on what the individual values, but there is no denying that when some posters post they get a ton more responses and/or people mentioning them compared to others who are almost ignored. Call it je ne sais quoi, call it controversy, call it charisma but some people seem to generate focus whether on a forum or Facebook or Instagram.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 8 months ago

Johnson wrote:
8 months ago
Call it je ne sais quoi
Chic!

Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Overeat

Post by Wire » 8 months ago

So as of now, apart from Admin, only @Hairblues at times prioritizes reading posts based on likes, and she is fine with doing away with the likes system.

I think this suffices to demolish @Admin's statement that users use likes as a way of figuring out which posts to read and which to ignore, akin to figuring out movie choices based on ratings.

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, Nizoral shampoo, hope.

Post by Admin » 8 months ago

not_impressed_kid.jpg
not_impressed_kid.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 896 times
:christian-cross:

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

CaptainForehead wrote:
8 months ago
So as of now, apart from Admin, only @Hairblues at times prioritizes reading posts based on likes, and she is fine with doing away with the likes system.

I think this suffices to demolish @Admin's statement that users use likes as a way of figuring out which posts to read and which to ignore, akin to figuring out movie choices based on ratings.
I'm fine doing away with it, I'm also fine keeping it. I actually don't mind keeping it as I do often skim through posts and stop at the multiple liked ones.

My beef is more the dislikes function, and how it is abused by a few people in petty ways. And I think there should be a more permanent action if their abuse of it is a cumulative pattern.

Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Hairblues wrote:
8 months ago
I'm fine doing away with it, I'm also fine keeping it. I actually don't mind keeping it as I do often skim through posts and stop at the multiple liked ones.

My beef is more the dislikes function, and how it is abused by a few people in petty ways. And I think there should be a more permanent action if their abuse of it is a cumulative pattern.
How's the so called abuse of the dislike function affecting your use of the ratings score?

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

CaptainForehead wrote:
8 months ago
How's the so called abuse of the dislike function affecting your use of the ratings score?
I don’t really understand the phrasing of this question. If I take it as it’s literally written, the abuse of dislikes would probably affect my use of rating scores because if some one has 6 likes and someone petty gives them -3 dislikes before I sigh on. Then that posters score would be lowered to 3 likes on that post...so I would possibly skip over It.
Where if someone has 6 likes, and 3 dislikes visible, I would probably still read it, same can probably be said for @Admin if he skims over lower rated posts.

I don’t even necessarily feel like dislikes are bad, it’s that you cant separate them. If it’s likes one side and dislikes next to it, I’ll have no beef because if anything, that may make the post even more curious...I’ve clicked on posts that just have a dislike to see what pissed people off. But that’s not what the outcome is.

Also, someone’s dislikes shouldnt devalue likes. It’s an unfair way of counting votes. They should at least ideally be separated without having to click on to display.

Wire
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Hairblues wrote:
8 months ago
If I take it as it’s literally written,
That's how all of my posts should be taken (I'm not a woman).

Hairblues wrote:
8 months ago
If I take it as it’s literally written, the abuse of dislikes would probably affect my use of rating scores because if some one has 6 likes and someone petty gives them -3 dislikes before I sigh on. Then that posters score would be lowered to 3 likes on that post...so I would possibly skip over It.
Where if someone has 6 likes, and 3 dislikes visible, I would probably still read it, same can probably be said for @Admin if he skims over lower rated posts.

I don’t even necessarily feel like dislikes are bad, it’s that you cant separate them. If it’s likes one side and dislikes next to it, I’ll have no beef because if anything, that may make the post even more curious...I’ve clicked on posts that just have a dislike to see what pissed people off. But that’s not what the outcome is.

Also, someone’s dislikes shouldnt devalue likes. It’s an unfair way of counting votes. They should at least ideally be separated without having to click on to display..
All excellent points (in case the like system just has to be there).

Guest-4
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Guest-4 » 8 months ago

I know that dislikes lower the score of individual posts, but I'm not sure if they lower the cumulative likes rating.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
8 months ago
I know that dislikes lower the score of individual posts, but I'm not sure if they lower the cumulative likes rating.
I definitely does, I just did an experiment and it went down, then added them back and it went back up.
I purposely chose silly/funny posts of a person that it's not going to matter to them anyway.
But his cumulative went down/up accordingly.

Pat
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » 8 months ago

Likes should be shown at the bottom of the post for two reasons. Likes might influence whoever is reading the post to form a judgement based merely on likes and not the content of the post. It's also clunky to scroll back up to the top of the post to give it a like (or to reply).

blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by blackg » 8 months ago

Pat wrote:
8 months ago
Likes should be shown at the bottom of the post for two reasons. Likes might influence whoever is reading the post to form a judgement based merely on likes and not the content of the post. It's also clunky to scroll back up to the top of the post to give it a like (or to reply).
You're a thinker, Pat.
VIVA LAS VEGAS!