Do you skip or prioritize posts based on the likes they have?

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Do you skip or prioritize posts based on the likes they have?

Post by CaptainForehead » 3 weeks ago

If yes, please post here.

I'm debating with @Admin on the utility of likes.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Do you skip or prioritize posts based on the likes they have?

Post by Hairblues » 3 weeks ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
3 weeks ago
If yes, please post here.

I'm debating with @Admin on the utility of likes.
Im more likely to read posts that have a lot of likes when I’m skimming.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

The top post on the tressless subreddit this week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/top/?t=week

Another reason I like ratings. I'm glad I chose those pictures for the banner.

I need reliable ways to evaluate reality because ain't nobody got time for that.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 3 weeks ago

don’t remove likes
Russians must save Europe from the racist liberal elite.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Keep likes. It adds something extra to the forum.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 3 weeks ago

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

I don't really care if a post has likes or not. I have someimes found great posts with no likes. So number of likes doesn't always dictate the quality of a post, at least to me. I mostly care about topic of the coanversation. Also, someday's, I read posts with greater interest than others irrespective of the topic. Mostly depends on my mood and how busy I am. Another important factor is the poster. Some people consistently write really good so they generate greater interest.
Trump 2020

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Post by Admin » 3 weeks ago

"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

If someone puts effort into a post (as long as it's not novel size) I will usually give it a like.
Save me from destiny.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 3 weeks ago

nope. how many likes someone has is just a measure of how popular they are, not how good their posts are

we should keep the likes/rep system but make it invisible so the amount of likes or dislikes doesnt make us prejudge posts

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
nope. how many likes someone has is just a measure of how popular they are, not how good their posts are

we should keep the likes/rep system but make it invisible so the amount of likes or dislikes doesnt make us prejudge posts
Funny, I don't have this interpretation.
Even popular posters can make crappy posts.
Save me from destiny.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 3 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
3 weeks ago
Funny, I don't have this interpretation.
Even popular posters can make crappy posts.
thats what i just said lol. number of likes shows how popular a poster is, not how good a poster is

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
thats what i just said lol. number of likes shows how popular a poster is, not how good a poster is
Okay mate. You're up late, exo.
Save me from destiny.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
But what makes a poster good? I don't think there is one poster on this forum that everyone agrees with all the time. I think the posters with more likes posts things that other posters agree with in general. I'm not the most liked poster on this forum but I have a decent amount of likes, what has annoyed me in the past has been when some posters have claimed that the only reason I get likes is because I'm female and the people who like my posts are white knights, like it's completely impossible that I have things of value to say.

Anyway, back to my starting question, what makes a good poster for me, is a poster with a sense of humor to their posts and/or intellect. I also like posters with the ability to self-reflect.

But I can agree with you that I 'like' some posters better than others, and that I'm more likely to like their posts because of it. However, I need to also agree with what is being said in the post and it's not like I'll like a post from a poster I like (try saying that fast lol) if it's BS :straight-smile:

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 3 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
3 weeks ago
I'm not the most liked poster on this forum but I have a decent amount of likes, what has annoyed me in the past has been when some posters have claimed that the only reason I get likes is because I'm female and the people who like my posts are white knights, like it's completely impossible that I have things of value to say.
Being a female probably does help you getting likes from some people. But it can also work against you on this forum and HairLossTalk as some people are suspicious of females due to their life experiences. Nevertheless, being a female on these forums does make you stand out because you are kind of a rarity. That alone gets you noticed. None of that means that females can't add any value. Georgie on HairLossTalk for example was an extremely valuable poster, more valuable than 99% of posters. Her posts and experiments with various drugs was simply incredible. When my hair loss does gets worse, I will go back to HairLossTalk and mine nuggets of information from her and idealforeheads posts. Also, I find @Hairblues posts valuable as they are well argued and along with Yetti and Afro defend left leaning position on various issues. It balances the discourse on this forum.

Added in 8 minutes 13 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
3 weeks ago
There is some truth to it. I only say some truth because popularity is not entirely independent of how good a poster is. But people do many times "like" posts irrespective of content because they like the person. They may like the person because the person was nice to them in the past or agrees with their worldview. So their liking for the person doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the persons posts.
Trump 2020