Epigenetics of post finasteride syndrome

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Epigenetics of post finasteride syndrome

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

This is the latest scientific confirmation of Post-Finasteride Syndrome that I'm aware of:

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/epig ... -patients/

I remember that some people used to deny the existence of Post-Finasteride Syndrome. I found them to be scientifically irrational. It was obviously a real issue, the evidence was and remains overwhelming, and the only questions are the frequency, diversity, and the intensity of the symptoms.

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1159
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2148
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: Epigenetics of post finasteride syndrome

Post by That Guy » 4 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
4 weeks ago
This is the latest scientific confirmation of Post-Finasteride Syndrome that I'm aware of:

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/epig ... -patients/

I remember that some people used to deny the existence of Post-Finasteride Syndrome. I found them to be scientifically irrational. It was obviously a real issue, the evidence was and remains overwhelming, and the only questions are the frequency, diversity, and the intensity of the symptoms.
What are your thoughts on the "official" stance that fathering children on finasteride is totally safe?

They say this a lot, but it seems to me there is no real study done on the subject, or one that followed the development of children fathered by men who were using the drug at the time of conception.

Given that it can affect sexual function, and they say it can be detected in low levels in semen, I do find it a bit difficult to believe there is no potential for serious problems there.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 534
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1518

Re: Epigenetics of post finasteride syndrome

Post by pjhair » 4 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
4 weeks ago
This is the latest scientific confirmation of Post-Finasteride Syndrome that I'm aware of:

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/epig ... -patients/

I remember that some people used to deny the existence of Post-Finasteride Syndrome. I found them to be scientifically irrational. It was obviously a real issue, the evidence was and remains overwhelming, and the only questions are the frequency, diversity, and the intensity of the symptoms.
I am often surprised by the hostile reaction and outright dismissal/denial of many hair loss sufferers when anyone suggests that finasteride may cause side effects such as Post-Finasteride Syndrome or hyperandrogenicity. People pretend that we have 100% understanding of effects of finasteride on the body irrespective of who is taking it. People also pretend that we have 100% understanding of all the factors involved in hair loss.Their confidence is confounding. You know who I usually don't see displaying this sort of bullheaded "confidence" in matters like this? Actual researchers and scientists.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1578
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3859
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Epigenetics of post finasteride syndrome

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
4 weeks ago
What are your thoughts on the "official" stance that fathering children on finasteride is totally safe?

They say this a lot, but it seems to me there is no real study done on the subject, or one that followed the development of children fathered by men who were using the drug at the time of conception.

Given that it can affect sexual function, and they say it can be detected in low levels in semen, I do find it a bit difficult to believe there is no potential for serious problems there.
It might be harder for you to get a woman pregnant, but I think that you should be fine after that. In principle, it is the very best of your sperm that should complete the long, arduous journey to the egg, not the very weakest.

I would however stay away from topical finasteride. Back when my father was on prostate cancer meds, and I don't remember which ones he was using, my sister was not allowed to even touch the pills.

Concerning this thread, epigenetics damage could pass on to your kids. I don't know how that might work. On the other hand, it seems that if your genes were affected, you would know. The other people with finasteride sides ... They usually know.

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
pjhair wrote:
4 weeks ago
I am often surprised by the hostile reaction and outright dismissal/denial of many hair loss sufferers when anyone suggests that finasteride may cause side effects such as Post-Finasteride Syndrome or hyperandrogenicity. People pretend that we have 100% understanding of effects of finasteride on the body irrespective of who is taking it. People also pretend that we have 100% understanding of all the factors involved in hair loss.Their confidence is confounding. You know who I usually don't see displaying this sort of bullheaded "confidence" in matters like this? Actual researchers and scientists.
I think that it's a cope.

I strongly suspect that all of those people would have quit finasteride if setipirant had worked out.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests