Cop who killed Eric Garner fired

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
nameless
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Cop who killed Eric Garner fired

Post by nameless » 3 weeks ago

As I recently posted my initial belief was that the cop who choked Eric Garner did nothing wrong because the cop was operating under an official warrant to seize Eric Garner. But when I found out that Eric Garner stated 11 times that he couldn't breathe and the cop still choked him to death I changed my mind and decided the cop did murder Eric Garner. The stupid grand jury wouldn't indict the cop but an administrative judge for the NYPD decided the cop should be fired. The mayor fired him. It's a pittance compared to what should have happened to that cop. He should be sitting in jail for a long time. Maybe they'll find some new evidence or use the Administrative Judges ruling to retry him. He belongs in jail. But since the victim was dark-skinned I'm sure That Guy will say it's all good because choking Eric Garner to death = a forced deportation from the USA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd- ... ailsignout

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Cop who killed Eric Garner fired

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 3 weeks ago

nameless wrote:
3 weeks ago
As I recently posted my initial belief was that the cop who choked Eric Garner did nothing wrong because the cop was operating under an official warrant to seize Eric Garner. But when I found out that Eric Garner stated 11 times that he couldn't breathe and the cop still choked him to death I changed my mind and decided the cop did murder Eric Garner. The stupid grand jury wouldn't indict the cop but an administrative judge for the NYPD decided the cop should be fired. The mayor fired him. It's a pittance compared to what should have happened to that cop. He should be sitting in jail for a long time. Maybe they'll find some new evidence or use the Administrative Judges ruling to retry him. He belongs in jail. But since the victim was dark-skinned I'm sure That Guy will say it's all good because choking Eric Garner to death = a forced deportation from the USA.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd- ... ailsignout
He looks like a goon.

I read an argument a while back that a lot of police brutality us due to road rage. I don't know if that's correct, but that's what I thought of when I saw that murderer's picture.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 3 weeks ago

I'm going to go ahead and guess this is yet another case where the dead guy "dindu nuffin"

but if we watch the footage and look at the guy's record, it's obvious he didu sumthin'?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

All colored people didn't do nothin'.
Ringo, said the gringo

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 3 weeks ago

He didn’t get fired it was recommended by th NYPD judge that he gets fired. I think it’s up to the police commissioner.

I think he should get fired. I can understand getting him down to the ground for resisting arrest. But I can’t understand once he’s down with 7 (?)) people on top of him and no weapon that his neck was still in play by this man. The others didn’t seem as aggressive as he was. The others seemed more calm. It’s just hyper aggressive for the situation and the man’s demeanor. It’s true he’s a HUGE man and you of course have to be careful and I don’t envy police their jobs. But a lot of conservative pro police people I know even cringe watching this.

Legally. From what I understand, that choke hold was not legal but the NYPD did something like after the fact made it legal (I don’t know full details but I heard this on news from a former prosecutor) or renamed it. Basically due to a loop hole they wound up not charging him. I think they renamed it a seat belt hold vs a choke hold. Just seems kind of shady. BUT I haven’t really looked into it fully so I’m not debating the point if someone has more accurate information:

nameless
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 2 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
3 weeks ago
I'm going to go ahead and guess this is yet another case where the dead guy "dindu nuffin"

but if we watch the footage and look at the guy's record, it's obvious he didu sumthin'?
I don't even know what his record is.

What matters to me is that he was being arrested (court ordered warrant) over not paying taxes on roll-your-own tobacco cigarettes and he told the cop 11 times that the cop's choke-hold was preventing him from breathing. How many times does a cop have to be told a choke-hold is preventing a suspect from breathing for the cop to adjust his restraint enough so the suspect can survive? Yes, Garner resisted arrest but you shouldn't kill him over it if you don't have to when the underlying issue is roll-your-own tobacco cigarettes.

Imagine if you're being restrained by a cop in such a way that he prevents you from breathing. You tell him 11 times that he's preventing you from breathing but he maintains the same method of restraint and you die. What would your family and friends be saying?

I think the cop got angry at Garner for resisting arrest and the cop's anger ran away with him.

Added in 5 minutes 34 seconds:
Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
He didn’t get fired it was recommended by th NYPD judge that he gets fired. I think it’s up to the police commissioner.

I think he should get fired. I can understand getting him down to the ground for resisting arrest. But I can’t understand once he’s down with 7 (?)) people on top of him and no weapon that his neck was still in play by this man. The others didn’t seem as aggressive as he was. The others seemed more calm. It’s just hyper aggressive for the situation and the man’s demeanor. It’s true he’s a HUGE man and you of course have to be careful and I don’t envy police their jobs. But a lot of conservative pro police people I know even cringe watching this.

Legally. From what I understand, that choke hold was not legal but the NYPD did something like after the fact made it legal (I don’t know full details but I heard this on news from a former prosecutor) or renamed it. Basically due to a loop hole they wound up not charging him. I think they renamed it a seat belt hold vs a choke hold. Just seems kind of shady. BUT I haven’t really looked into it fully so I’m not debating the point if someone has more accurate information:
I just looked at the video again and they definitely had Eric Garner down and under control and yet the one cop stayed with the same choke-hold. Doesn't it seem like the cop should have adjusted his choke-hold method of restraint since Garner told the cop 11 times that the choke-hold was preventing him from breathing? But he didn't adjust his method of restraint. And there were other cops on top of Garner. He was under sufficient control by the sheer number of cops that it wasn't necessary to choke the life out of him.

Added in 10 minutes 50 seconds:
blackg wrote:
3 weeks ago
All colored people didn't do nothin'.
Note that until I recently found out Garner told the cop 11 times that he could not breathe (due to the choke-hold) I was on the cop's side because at first I thought that the only issue was that the cops had a judge-signed warrant for Garner. I've been posting that Garner was 100% at fault for resisting arrest and the cop was fully justified because of the warrant. But about a week ago when I found out that Garner told the cop 11 times that he couldn't breathe because of how he was being restrained I changed my mind. How many times do you have to tell that f'n cop to lighten up? And I still think that Eric Garner shouldn't have resisted arrest.

And I still maintain, and can't imagine changing my mind, that George Zimmerman was totally justified in shooting Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman was not physically capable of making Martin stop banging his head into the concrete sidewalk unless he used his gun.

And I still maintain, and can't imagine changing my mind, that cop Darrin Wilson was totally justified in shooting Keith Brown. Keith Brown was running towards Darrin Wilson and was likely going to take Darrin Wilson's gun from him and use it on him if he didn't use the gun to bring Keith Brown down. Darrin Wilson was not physically capable of preventing Keith Brown from stealing his gun and using it on him once he reached Darrin Wilson. Those facts - Keith Brown could physically overpower Darrin Wilson and Keith Brown was trying to take the cop's gun from him - we're previously established when Keith Brown attacked Darrin Wilson and went for his gun when Darrin Wilson was still in his cop car.

So no, I don't always say the black guy didn't do anything wrong.