Sunscreen recommendations

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Sunscreen recommendations

Post by kj6723 » 1 month ago

Guys I need a new daily facial sunscreen. The one I was using seems to have been discontinued. I recently also tried out the Aveeno Protect and Hydrate line for several days, and something in it irritates the fuck out of my eyes causing them to water non-stop throughout the day, making it completely unusable for me

I need something that's both sunscreen + moisturizer, SPF 30 minimum (50+ would be better though), broad spectrum SPF, and doesn't leave the skin excessively greasy looking. And preferably not unnecessarily expensive

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Re: Sunscreen recommendations

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

depending on the humidity of your location, your sunscreen may not provide enough moisturizing, so you might have to layer your skin with moisturizer and sunscreen (serums go on first before these of course)

I use the following sunscreen, because it is cheap, doesnt smell, and looks invisible once dry:

They come out with a new variant each year, but the one above is 2017, which is what I currently use

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
depending on the humidity of your location, your sunscreen may not provide enough moisturizing, so you might have to layer your skin with moisturizer and sunscreen (serums go on first before these of course)

I use the following sunscreen, because it is cheap, doesnt smell, and looks invisible once dry:

They come out with a new variant each year, but the one above is 2017, which is what I currently use
K ill probably try that one out. The one I used before from banana boat that was discontinued was also a moisturizer and worked well. I'd prefer this because I'd rather not spend my time applying layer after layer of topicals

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 month ago

Currently I’m using Drunk Elephant (most of my facial treatments are theirs except my PM retinol by Phillip Thomas Roth and I really LOVE the DE products I’ve tried so far.
It’s kind of a pricey line though. I have problems finding sunacreen that doesn’t leave a white chalky cast. This one has a tint to it and I mix a bronzer peptide into it. I don’t really wear makeup daily, it can be a bitch to find sunscreens that work well with makeup, not that you guys have to worry about this lol.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Hairblues wrote:
1 month ago
Currently I’m using Drunk Elephant (most of my facial treatments are theirs except my PM retinol by Phillip Thomas Roth and I really LOVE the DE products I’ve tried so far.
It’s kind of a pricey line though. I have problems finding sunacreen that doesn’t leave a white chalky cast. This one has a tint to it and I mix a bronzer peptide into it. I don’t really wear makeup daily, it can be a bitch to find sunscreens that work well with makeup, not that you guys have to worry about this lol.
Hairblues is in that bracket $$$$$ 8-)

I'm probably going to start using tretinoin and vit c serum again in the next month or so. I've slacked hard on the skincare game in the last year but I'm feeling motivated to get back on it

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 month ago
Guys I need a new daily facial sunscreen. The one I was using seems to have been discontinued. I recently also tried out the Aveeno Protect and Hydrate line for several days, and something in it irritates the fuck out of my eyes causing them to water non-stop throughout the day, making it completely unusable for me

I need something that's both sunscreen + moisturizer, SPF 30 minimum (50+ would be better though), broad spectrum SPF, and doesn't leave the skin excessively greasy looking. And preferably not unnecessarily expensive
missha all around safe block aqua sun gel spf50+/pa++++, is the least greasy and lightest sunscreen I've ever used. Not expensive either. No funky smell, smells fresh and not sunscreen-y.

Added in 41 seconds:
Hairblues wrote:
1 month ago
*Peter thomas roth, I use the PM as well :)
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 557 times
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
missha all around safe block aqua sun gel spf50+/pa++++, is the least greasy and lightest sunscreen I've ever used. Not expensive either. No funky smell, smells fresh and not sunscreen-y.
Interesting, an american sunscreen that you could get from target that is mattifying but also has a PA++++ rating (common among asian brands). how would you compare it to the biore aqua uv that i posted? IIRC, you have used it too right?

edit: nvm missha is actually a korean brand, explains a lot.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
Interesting, an american sunscreen that you could get from target that is mattifying but also has a PA++++ rating (common among asian brands). how would you compare it to the biore aqua uv that i posted? IIRC, you have used it too right?

edit: nvm missha is actually a korean brand, explains a lot.
I find it lighter than the Bioré one, although this one has an ever so slight white cast. It is so slight though that it's insignificant for me, but maybe it wouldn't be great if you have a deep tan.
It comes out of the tube white and smells really fresh, blends easily and dries within 1-2 minutes at most, to a soft ''powdery'' finish. I know you probably don't wear makeup lol but this one is great underneath makeup too. Also, if I'm not wrong I don't think this contains alcohol, like the Bioré one does.
Bioré is great because it is transparent, but I can kinda feel it on my skin somewhat especially if you put on a good amount of it, something you're supposed to do with sunscreen. Missha's sunscreen can literally not be felt on the skin even if you put on x3 layers of it.
They have both passed my sunscreen UV camera test though, I bought a UV camera that you attach to your phone called Sunscreenr which makes it possible to see if a sunscreen is effective, how even the coverage is etc. I tested both these sunscreens and they passed. :thumbup:

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
I find it lighter than the Bioré one, although this one has an ever so slight white cast. It is so slight though that it's insignificant for me, but maybe it wouldn't be great if you have a deep tan.
It comes out of the tube white and smells really fresh, blends easily and dries within 1-2 minutes at most, to a soft ''powdery'' finish. I know you probably don't wear makeup lol but this one is great underneath makeup too. Also, if I'm not wrong I don't think this contains alcohol, like the Bioré one does.
Bioré is great because it is transparent, but I can kinda feel it on my skin somewhat especially if you put on a good amount of it, something you're supposed to do with sunscreen. Missha's sunscreen can literally not be felt on the skin even if you put on x3 layers of it.
They have both passed my sunscreen UV camera test though, I bought a UV camera that you attach to your phone called Sunscreenr which makes it possible to see if a sunscreen is effective, how even the coverage is etc. I tested both these sunscreens and they passed. :thumbup:
sweet, i'll have to try it out once my biore sunscreen is done, i've only got one tube left lol.

I wear a bb cream or concealer on days when i break out and have some sort of first date, interview, or social gathering, so that's a plus if makeup can go well on top of it. by the way, what do you recommend for "spot concealing"? I just have a cheap stick of bb cream from Sephora i got a while ago, but i need something that works well with tan skin and also something that i dont have to use all over my face to blend in, just a pimple or two. Also, i just use q-tips to apply them, so if you have any other tips that would help me out that would be great sis

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
sweet, i'll have to try it out once my biore sunscreen is done, i've only got one tube left lol.

I wear a bb cream or concealer on days when i break out and have some sort of first date, interview, or social gathering, so that's a plus if makeup can go well on top of it. by the way, what do you recommend for "spot concealing"? I just have a cheap stick of bb cream from Sephora i got a while ago, but i need something that works well with tan skin and also something that i dont have to use all over my face to blend in, just a pimple or two. Also, i just use q-tips to apply them, so if you have any other tips that would help me out that would be great sis

Not many tips here, as I have no acne :lol: :lol: :lol: (people hate me for this)
I have heard a lot of good things about the Tarte shape tape concealer though. It's very hyped up in the beauty community, I used to own a bottle a long time ago and it had very nice coverage. Jeffree Star has also dropped a new concealer that is getting lots of praise.
As for now I am wearing my Maxfactor master touch concealer because it blends in well with my skin and looks like real skin and not makeup. I don't know how it would be to cover acne though since I don't have any ( :roll: :roll: :roll: )
A lot of people use beauty blenders to blend their makeup, I know you can get small ones for concealer too. I just like to use my fingers as I feel that is easier for me, SIS :smirk:

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 4 weeks ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago

Makeup forever makes a nice overall concealer but you may not need that if it’s just a few red spots. When I use it I Apply with fingers right from the tube and dab it.

I think the best undetectable one for small imperfections is still Laura Mercier.
I don’t have it now but I used this in late 90s and I used it very sparingly so it lasted a long time. Also you can adjust the tone to your skin if you are a bit darker in summer or pale in winter. If the blemish is very red vs pink you can adjust to your surrounding skin tone without covering your good skin. I used to use the brush and mixed it, warmed it up on back of my hand then applied to the spots from there.

The brush to me was awesome (I took very good care of it and it was a high quality brush, so I still own it and looks brand new) you could just paint it very gingerly. The whole secret to not being detected is to use a very light hand vs that whole rubbing it into surrounding area and this is dense enough it stayed once I set it. (You might not even need to do this part)

After matching the spot to my skin I would set the spot with a very small brush of translucent powder. You have to experiment with this to see if you even want to add that step.

These products are on the pricey side, so maybe find good dups. They are probably out there if you research it.
But I found at the time the LM was the least detectable when not wearing makeup or using a tinted moisturizer which is 90% of the time I always preferred tinted moisturizer (still do) to foundations except for weddings or fancier events.
With the LM product, less is more if you apply strategically.
If you try this, try and buy it from a store that you can return if it doesn’t workout for you because everyone is different and these are not a small investment. Worth it over time if it works for you. If it doesn’t, was a waste of money.
Attachments
369EA8DA-2A0F-44E8-9CE8-A0331F294A21.jpeg
369EA8DA-2A0F-44E8-9CE8-A0331F294A21.jpeg (393.83 KiB) Viewed 452 times
A3FE56AF-4626-4857-8276-D5D51FF26522.jpeg
A3FE56AF-4626-4857-8276-D5D51FF26522.jpeg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 452 times
2D5B5000-DC0B-4F3B-AE25-F53708EDDED5.jpeg
2D5B5000-DC0B-4F3B-AE25-F53708EDDED5.jpeg (7.73 KiB) Viewed 452 times
56AC3F8A-C223-418D-8933-FE53FFAA07F3.jpeg
56AC3F8A-C223-418D-8933-FE53FFAA07F3.jpeg (12.44 KiB) Viewed 452 times
F811BF6A-C08D-44BC-A799-6CD5DC2D77F8.jpeg
F811BF6A-C08D-44BC-A799-6CD5DC2D77F8.jpeg (11.98 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 3 weeks ago

Marki wrote:
3 weeks ago
Hairblues off topic on this thread but weren't you the one talking about sunscreen on another thread that I can't find?
If so you said some sun screens stay on the skin without getting absorbed - can you name a couple good ones?
I don’t recall it may have been @EvilLocks since she also mentioned a sunscreen.

I use a pricey one at moment because I got a bonus one and they are tinted so I don’t get a white cast.
It’s by Drunk Elepjant but I don’t think as a guy you need this tone/shade it may look like makeup on your skin.
I’m not super informed on all the various sunscreens I’m a trial by error person. If not wearing makeup I used to use regular baby/infant sunblocks from brands like copppertone. It’s with makeup that can be an issue for me and I like the drunk elephant one so far. I’m also going to try from Supergoop.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by EvilLocks » 3 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
3 weeks ago
I don’t recall it may have been EvilLocks since she also mentioned a sunscreen.

I use a pricey one at moment because I got a bonus one and they are tinted so I don’t get a white cast.
It’s by Drunk Elepjant but I don’t think as a guy you need this tone/shade it may look like makeup on your skin.
I’m not super informed on all the various sunscreens I’m a trial by error person. If not wearing makeup I used to use regular baby/infant sunblocks from brands like copppertone. It’s with makeup that can be an issue for me and I like the drunk elephant one so far. I’m also going to try from Supergoop.
Probably, I'm always rambling about sunscreen lol :lol:
I heard a dermatologist say once, that the best sunscreen is the one you actually want to wear every day. I think you have to go through trial and error to find the right one. Just make sure it's high SPF, broad spectrum, and in a lotion or stick form. Stay away from makeup products with SPF, powder or spray sunscreens. It's very likely with those that you'll end up under applying or having a patchy coverage.

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3.5
Regimen: none

Post by C4L » 2 weeks ago

This is a nice problem to have. I wish it was my biggest one.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

I'm tan so i dont use sunscreen. Ive never gotten sunburned but i try not to spend excessive time in direct sunlight anyways

I heard its like 30 minutes daily you should get but no more