The effects of depressing music and horror films on your health

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5

The effects of depressing music and horror films on your health

Post by That Guy » 1 week ago

Recently, a 12 year old girl killed herself. There is evidence suggesting that the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why was an influence in her decision.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -life.html

I had a conversation last night with some friends about the subject of depressing music and horror films, and I why don't listen to or watch them — I don't think that such things are fundamentally good for the psyche. It has actually been studied that country music, being depressing as hell, can help you kill yourself or be an alcoholic.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/ ... icide.html

Most people I know who are really into grunge or black metal music are clearly unhappy people. It's angry, depressed music where the most famous frontmen from the most famous bands both famously killed themselves. I've heard the argument that Grunge and its nihilism arose as a result of the boomers' hedonism and destruction of the family, economy, etc. Consider that Grunge exploded just a couple years after Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue came out; the hair metal generation of just a few years prior was all about partying, having, fun, etc.

Listen to these back to back. They're both about youth, both came out in the same year:

(Link starts on relevant song)

I always feel free af listening to music like the first example. I actually consider 80s rock to be the sound of summer. I'm always driving around with the windows down, blasting Ratt and the like.

Does anyone feel happy listening to Nirvana?

On the subject of horror films, I don't feel good watching them. I don't think that instilling yourself with negative emotions by scaring (or trying to) yourself or voluntarily subjecting yourself to the most brutal and shocking imagery is a fundamentally good thing for one's mind. I have at least one friend who is extremely into horror films, the gorier the better. I wonder if it's really a coincidence that she also has an eating disorder, is extremely materialistic, perpetually depressed and so on.

It's my opinion that music and movies that are fueled by negative emotions should generally be avoided. There's a lot of reasons to be angry and depressed by the real world, and escapism that presents only more anger and depression just can't be good for us. What do you think?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: The effects of depressing music and horror films on your health

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 week ago

I don't know music well enough to say, but for movies, I'd suggest emphasizing balance and at least focusing on well-made movies.

Negative emotions are a very real part of the world, I think that it's been estimated that we have twice as many negative emotions as positive ones. As we grow older we need to explore them sometimes in order to understand. Grief, anger, bitterness, fear, exist for a reason and have a role to play, at certain times. If they are ignored, and not well understood, then there is the risk of a person not being able to handle situations when such emotions are inevitable.

Therefore, only watching one kind of movie (e.g. Marvel, Friday the 13th, etc) can lead to stunted emotional developments.

I suggest the focus on well-made movies as I think that a lot of Hollywood movies have completely nonsensical narratives and emotional layering and this mkay risk imparting a stunted psychology onto viewers. There was a study that showed that watching (Mad Men ??) actually helped with emotional maturity, but I don't know where to find it right now. On the other hand, if you watch a lot of movies like Silver Linings Playbook, well ...

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 week ago

I just think negative people are attracted to negative art.

I also don't find Nirvana that depressing, I find them more cathartic than anything.

And I definitely can't picture you cruising summer time blasting the band Ratt from you Z28 Camaro.
I could picture one of your degenerate uncles doing this but not you.
marry me, Kaitlin

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 1 week ago

blackg wrote:
1 week ago
I just think negative people are attracted to negative art.

I also don't find Nirvana that depressing, I find them more cathartic than anything.

And I definitely can't picture you cruising summer time blasting the band Ratt from you Z28 Camaro.
I could picture one of your degenerate uncles doing this but not you.
Repped for first 2 paragraphs, not for last lol

Art isnt going to fundamentally change anyone. And media containing negative emotions is just like you said -cathartic. It resonates with how you feel and lets you come to terms with the negativity, encompass and express your emotions, and lets you know you arent alone

Radiohead was my emotional salve at some of my lowest incel depression points. Really made me feel better hearing a fellow uglycel being depressed, gave me a brotha to relate to

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 week ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
I don't know music well enough to say, but for movies, I'd suggest emphasizing balance and at least focusing on well-made movies.

Negative emotions are a very real part of the world, I think that it's been estimated that we have twice as many negative emotions as positive ones. As we grow older we need to explore them sometimes in order to understand. Grief, anger, bitterness, fear, exist for a reason and have a role to play, at certain times. If they are ignored, and not well understood, then there is the risk of a person not being able to handle situations when such emotions are inevitable.

Therefore, only watching one kind of movie (e.g. Marvel, Friday the 13th, etc) can lead to stunted emotional developments.

I suggest the focus on well-made movies as I think that a lot of Hollywood movies have completely nonsensical narratives and emotional layering and this mkay risk imparting a stunted psychology onto viewers. There was a study that showed that watching (Mad Men ??) actually helped with emotional maturity, but I don't know where to find it right now. On the other hand, if you watch a lot of movies like Silver Linings Playbook, well ...

I highly recommend Mad Men.
in my opinion it’s close to a perfect show.
I also think The Sopranos and Deadwood are up there and Breaking Bad.