How do you communicate with your barber?

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

How do you communicate with your barber?

Post by kj6723 » 1 week ago

Today my barber did exactly what I told him not to do, which was cut hair off the front/top of my head. I specifically had told him not to, and reiterated it. And then he went and started doing it anyway. I was like "dude you're cutting the top," and he was like "yea I am". He became visibly flustered and kind of stuttered out a rationalization that he needed to blend the front with what he had already cut, but it was clear he knew he had fucked up.

Fortunately it was only a small amount, and I actually felt slightly bad for the guy because he's super nice and he was clearly rattled by the situation, but man I can't help feeling pretty fucking irked by this. He's cut my hair multiple times before, always doing exactly what I ask in the past. He might have been distracted by our conversation, as we've got a pretty good rapport, or maybe I should have gone into more depth explaining not to worry if the front doesn't look blended with the cut because I prefer to style it on my own anyway.

Not really sure if I should go back to him next time or not. I'd like to give him another chance as he's always done what I want in the past, and the cut he gave me actually doesn't look terrible or anything, but I can't help feeling somewhat pissed about the situation. How do you guys make sure the barber/hairdresser does exactly what you want?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: How do you communicate with your barber?

Post by Admin » 1 week ago

You have to make sure they're kind and understanding. It was my first mistake going back to the barber after like 8 years. The guy was an old Italian smug guy who wanted to do it his way, so yeah, when I asked him to be careful and to give me a fade on the sides and leave the top long enough, he replied:

"Ah no no no, that's not a-good, it's a-gonna look like a wig!" And being the agreeable guy that I am, I let him bully me into doing what he wanted, well, as soon as he had cropped the top, it was too late, and the surge of anxiety was already there. He was like "oh you'll see, people will compliment you on it!".

I was like "fuck, I look like shit under bright lights!" Later I learned that the guy is some kind of sociopath, and that he beats up the women in his staff. Lucky me. Anyway, I live in a neighborhood full of hair dresser (the irony) so it was easy to find one literally around the corner. They gave me exactly what I wanted, and they understood why only one hair style would do it for me.

I'm going back there on Monday, quite excited to get my first hair cut since my third hair transplant. It's only been three months so all I have at the back is still fine peach fuzz even though some faint coverage is appearing, I'm supposed to have 10% of my hair transplant right now.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I'd probably have told you to man up if I was still angry NW5 Fred, but with experience I've just shared, I get it, as a hair loss sufferer or a hair transplant junkie, your hairs cuts should be handled with the utmost care, we've already had to suffer enough trauma to deal with that kind of incompetence or in my case arrogance. Now that I have a great salon, I'll certainly stick with it.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 1 week ago

Admin wrote:
1 week ago
You have to make sure they're kind and understanding. It was my first mistake going back to the barber after like 8 years. The guy was an old Italian smug guy who wanted to do it his way, so yeah, when I asked him to be careful and to give me a fade on the sides and leave the top long enough, he replied:

"Ah no no no, that's not a-good, it's a-gonna look like a wig!" And being the agreeable guy that I am, I let him bully me into doing what he wanted, well, as soon as he had cropped the top, it was too late, and the surge of anxiety was already there. He was like "oh you'll see, people will compliment you on it!".

I was like "fuck, I look like shit under bright lights!" Later I learned that the guy is some kind of sociopath, and that he beats up the women in his staff. Lucky me. Anyway, I live in a neighborhood full of hair dresser (the irony) so it was easy to find one literally around the corner. They gave me exactly what I wanted, and they understood why only one hair style would do it for me.

I'm going back there on Monday, quite excited to get my first hair cut since my third hair transplant. It's only been three months so all I have at the back is still fine peach fuzz even though some faint coverage is appearing, I'm supposed to have 10% of my hair transplant right now.

I'm sorry this happened to you, I'd probably have told you to man up if I was still angry NW5 Fred, but with experience I've just shared, I get it, as a hair loss sufferer or a hair transplant junkie, your hairs cuts should be handled with the utmost care, we've already had to suffer enough trauma to deal with that kind of incompetence or in my case arrogance. Now that I have a great salon, I'll certainly stick with it.
I have definitely had haircuts of the life-ruining variety in the past, and fortunately this is not one of them. It's not quite what I wanted but still acceptable enough to face society without having to wear a mask.

But it still irks me. You put your faith in your barber when you sit down in that chair. And he literally did what I specifically told him twice not to do. Hopefully for him it was his 1/10,000 messed up haircut quota(after all no one can be perfect) and I just happened to be the unfortunate one. As I said he has given me plenty of good haircuts previously. At least I can learn from this and make sure I am super specific going forward, explaining that I will style the front on my own later even if it doesn't initially look blended with the fade.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: dutasteride, min 2x/day, keto 2% shampoo EoD, microneedling 1.5mm once/week

Post by koolaidshade » 1 week ago

i've been going to the same barber for almost 2 years. when we first met i showed her a picture of a celebrity, and she cut my hair very good that i couldn't stop coming back. even if i ask her to add some variation to my style, such as leaving the top longer or fading the back instead of squaring it out, the results are still good.

These days I just show up and she cuts my hair without her asking me how i want it and it ends up looking good anyways.

Its hard to find a good barber though. i've been through some that give you good fades but you end up looking like a thug from the crisp edge-up, or some idiot that cuts too much at the corners (aka doesnt fade properly) that it looks like you have a flat top

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 1 week ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 week ago
How do you guys make sure the barber/hairdresser does exactly what you want?
I bring pictures of what I want if needed. It's a bit different for me though since I wear a hairpiece. I don't go for crazy colors but a look that is an enhanced version of the hair I once had.
Since I got my hairpiece I have stuck with the same color/thickness/texture etc. and I actually showed my hairdresser a pic of what my hair used to look like prior to hair loss as my ideal hair. I wanted to look like I did before and that's what I got.
The only think I have varied is length, but I always like to keep some length, never shorter than shoulder length, ever.
I am starting to fantasize about being blonde now though, but I don't know if I am brave enough haha. :lol:
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: dutasteride, min 2x/day, keto 2% shampoo EoD, microneedling 1.5mm once/week

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
I bring pictures of what I want if needed. It's a bit different for me though since I wear a hairpiece. I don't go for crazy colors but a look that is an enhanced version of the hair I once had.
Since I got my hairpiece I have stuck with the same color/thickness/texture etc. and I actually showed my hairdresser a pic of what my hair used to look like prior to hair loss as my ideal hair. I wanted to look like I did before and that's what I got.
The only think I have varied is length, but I always like to keep some length, never shorter than shoulder length, ever.
I am starting to fantasize about being blonde now though, but I don't know if I am brave enough haha. :lol:
you should go for this hairstyle:

simple, not tryhard or empowering/feminist, but also looks nice overall

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

koolaidshade wrote:
1 week ago
you should go for this hairstyle:

simple, not tryhard or empowering/feminist, but also looks nice overall
That's not too far from what I have now only I don't have highlights.
This is the hair I dream about now gahhh. I feel like I've gotten pretty far in regards to containing my anger and envy towards people with good hair but when I see pics like this I can feel the rage building up inside lol :shock:
Attachments
58430456_299873550908463_7317049306618165851_n.jpg
58430456_299873550908463_7317049306618165851_n.jpg (130.49 KiB) Viewed 134 times

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
That's not too far from what I have now only I don't have highlights.
This is the hair I dream about now gahhh. I feel like I've gotten pretty far in regards to containing my anger and envy towards people with good hair but when I see pics like this I can feel the rage building up inside lol :shock:
i think it looks worse than the one i posted because it seems thinner.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

koolaidshade wrote:
1 week ago
i think it looks worse than the one i posted because it seems thinner.
That's because she has half her hair behind her back. I follow her on instagram @jesshunt2 and she has a dream hair <3_<3

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

EvilLocks wrote:
1 week ago
That's because she has half her hair behind her back. I follow her on instagram @jesshunt2 and she has a dream hair <3_<3
i hope you dont also think that she has dream skin. you'd be spending a shit ton on self tanner :lol:

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

koolaidshade wrote:
1 week ago
i hope you dont also think that she has dream skin. you'd be spending a shit ton on self tanner :lol:
Hahah no way. She looks to be spending a lot of time in a bikini too, something I stay as far away from as possible. At this point I've just embraced my pale skin lol. Rather be pale than a wrinkled oompah loompah :roll:

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 1 week ago

I'm not going to barbers any more. Some barbers thin out my side burn width,
even when I tell them to keep my hair at one length. (A buzz cut, pretty easy to do).

I'm growing my hair longer. Most barbers in the U.S. suck.

In fact some turn the mirror to the opposite side and won't even let you critique the
haircut while it is happening.

It's just hair salons for me at this point.