Sun damage and aging

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Xexos » 2 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 months ago
I just wanted to take a moment to highlight the importance of sun protection with this horrific example of white/caucasian skin + sun exposure:

This is Britney (obvi) in 2016 (she was 35 here, thirty five. THIRTY FIVE!) She looks incredibly old, look at that blotchy wrinkly complexion. Massive amounts of aging and sun damage.

Now this is Alexandra Daddario in 2018, age 32. Only three years younger than Britney in 2016 but yet she looks so much younger, and so much better! I love her pale skin, I can tell she's been very careful with sun exposure.

Here's Jessica Alba in 2018, age 37. She and Britney are the same age, even though it seems impossible. Alba has a different skin type but I can still tell she's taken care of her skin, plus having a baby face sure helps.

Anyway, when I see pics like these I remember why I put on my sunscreen every single day, and also protect myself from the sun with clothing, hats, sunglasses in summer and never tan etc. So guys, take care of your skin, and maybe more importantly (LOL), convince your girlfriends to do the same, unless you want her to end up like Britney.

:roll:
Wow I never knew that before to be honest. Even though i was spending all my time on "looks-maxxing" forums, but i never paid much attention to skin, my specialization was in bone structure lol.

Anyways, that's good and bad to hear at the same time. Mainly bad because i'm now sure that my skin has taken some damage from the sun all the past years without me knowing or caring. Fortunately, it's nothing i can't fix "yet" and i knew it before it's too late.

But what's worrying me is the climate in my country. The sun is really brutal here and i don't know whether i would be able to avoid it that much, but is there's anything i can do ? Would sunblockers at least minimize the damage ? Unfortunately, i have no experience when it comes to this topic, so maybe you could give me some advice.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 2 months ago

Stan22 wrote:
2 months ago
Wow I never knew that before to be honest. Even though i was spending all my time on "looks-maxxing" forums, but i never paid much attention to skin, my specialization was in bone structure lol.

Anyways, that's good and bad to hear at the same time. Mainly bad because i'm now sure that my skin has taken some damage from the sun all the past years without me knowing or caring. Fortunately, it's nothing i can't fix "yet" and i knew it before it's too late.

But what's worrying me is the climate in my country. The sun is really brutal here and i don't know whether i would be able to avoid it that much, but is there's anything i can do ? Would sunblockers at least minimize the damage ? Unfortunately, i have no experience when it comes to this topic, so maybe you could give me some advice.
Aren't you like 18-19? If that's the case it is definitely not too late. I did not start taking good care of my skin until the age of 23, but the 3-4 years of basement dwelling and basically never leaving the house before that did help.
Anyway, you are young, so there's plenty of time for you. Another thing, I don't know what exactly your ethnicity is but I picture you with like Mediterranean olive skin or something? If so, that is another good thing. I feel like such a skin type is less prone to aging than my Caucasian white skin.
Anyway, there are a few things you could do.
First, and this is the main strategy, is to minimize direct sun exposure. You say the sun is brutal where you live, but you could minimize your exposure by covering up with clothing, hats, and sunglasses, as well as seek shade when possible. I take it that it's hot where you live, so tightly woven, yet light fabrics will give you good sun protection. Fabrics like polyester are especially good for blocking sunlight.
Secondly, sunblock. It is in no way as effective as strategy #1 though, as sunblocks and sunblock application is greatly flawed. Firstly, no sunblock is equal, and just because it says "broad spectrum" does not mean every broad spectrum sunscreen is equally effective in blocking UVA, the main aging rays. You can read a bit about what ingredients are good in the link(s) I provided for Captain Forehead a bit earlier in this thread. Then comes application. To be effective, sunblock needs to be applied liberally, and often. Even if you do these things correctly, seeking shade and covering up with clothing will always be more effective. Sunscreen is more like a compliment to strategy #1, to further maximize your level of protection.
Lastly, it IS important to get some sun. It is recommended that you get around 20mins of sun exposure about 2-3 times a week for vitamin D-production. Also, a healthy diet and vitamin D-supplements can help in this.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
2 months ago
No i was talking about masks that you put on and then wash, such as clay masks. The origins masks is starting to sound good, i think i'll just go to the sephora back at my high school town when i visit my parents and buy it there lol, since nobody knows me in those parts
I got this mask around a week ago and have used it before showering twice. its alright, leaves my skin moist but pulls some excess oils out of my nose pores