What's up with these amazing recoveries? e.g. Somebody

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

What's up with these amazing recoveries? e.g. Somebody

Post by supremegentleman » 8 months ago

How is that some people have these great results from medication like Finasteride and Minoxidil where they regrow all their hair? I use everything there is and at most it helps me maintain my hair but I haven't regrown jack shit. People like that piss me off, how is that even possible except from having a hair transplant?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: What's up with these amazing recoveries? e.g. Somebody

Post by Admin » 8 months ago

Let me first illustrate your thread with Somebody's supposedly amazing recovery:

And now let me explain why I said 'supposedly'. I'm going to go for the jugular here: there's a good chance that he conned the hair loss world and just had a hair transplant. He then started his YouTube channel to further the attention he already garnered on hair loss forums.

I'm sorry but, as some of us ( @JasonStatham if I recall well?) had said in the dermarolling thread: where the fuck are all the other results from dermarolling? How come I have myself been dermarolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller (still doing it) for 3.5 months and yet I see zero improvement?

Why doesn't this treatment work like minoxidil or finasteride, for which you see countless and consistent successs stories all over the place. For dermarolling, it's so bad that it's always the same people that are brought up: Somebody, 2young2bald (again, if I recall well), PrettyFly, etc. Always, this handful of success stories just smells fishy. Anything else we have is people saying: "Yeah dermarolling works like a motherfucker! No I don't have any pictures, I'm not comfortable showing my hair on the internet!" How convenient.

So yeah, I'm asking again, what is going on here? If we still have believers on this forum, they can chime in. Seeing the state of things, I'm going for the oldest and simplest explanation when it comes to amazing recoveries on the internet: don't trust everything you see and read on the internet, and take it with a grain of salt. So what's up in my humble opinion? Scam, that's what's up.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 8 months ago

Admin wrote:
8 months ago
Let me first illustrate your thread with Somebody's supposedly amazing recovery:

And now explain why I said 'supposedly'. I'm going to go for the jugular here: there's a good chance that he conned the hair loss world and just had a hair transplant. He then started his YouTube channel to further the attention he already garnered on hair loss forums.

I'm sorry but, as some of us ( @JasonStatham if I recall well?) had said in the dermarolling thread: where the fuck are all the other results from dermarolling? How come I have myself been dermarolling with a 1.5mm dermaroller (still doing it) for 3.5 months and yet I see zero improvement?

Why doesn't this treatment work like minoxidil or finasteride, for which you see countless and consistent successs stories all over the place. For dermarolling, it's so bad that it's always the same people that are brought up: Somebody, 2young2bald (again, if I recall well), PrettyFly, etc. Always, this handful of success stories just smells fishy. Anything else we have is people saying: "Yeah dermarolling works like a motherfucker! No I don't have any pictures, I'm not comfortable showing my hair on the internet!" How convenient.

So yeah, I'm asking again, what is going on here? If we still have believers on this forum, they can chime in. Seeing the state of things, I'm going for the oldest and simplest explanation when it comes to amazing recoveries on the internet: don't trust everything you see and read on the internet, and take it with a grain of salt. So what's up in my humble opinion? Scam, that's what's up.
after seeing his thread on hairlosstalk and videos on youtube I got really hyped up and had high hopes but I also see little to no results from dermarolling and I'm doing it since 6 august. To be honest it is just pain in the ass (metaphorically) to do it. and it is also physically painful because of wounding your scalp. What I used to do was comfy because I just sprayed my scalp with minoxidil in the evening and now before that I dermaroll in all fucking directions ten times.Its ridiculous. Fuck Somebody and those Indian studies.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

supremegentleman wrote:
8 months ago
after seeing his thread on hairlosstalk and videos on youtube I got really hyped up and had high hopes but I also see little to no results from dermarolling and I'm doing it since 6 august. To be honest it is just pain in the ass (metaphorically) to do it. and it is also physically painful because of wounding your scalp. What I used to do was comfy because I just sprayed my scalp with minoxidil in the evening and now before that I dermaroll in all fucking directions ten times.Its ridiculous. Fuck Somebody and those Indian studies.
I think shookwun was spot on when it comes to the Indian (Dhurat) study: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1547016

Different lightnings and different hair lengths after 3 months. And people are still chasing their tail trying to replicate a faulty study. And what pisses me off even more, it's that if you start doubting dermarolling, you'll get the scammer's mantra: "it's because you're doing it wrong!"

It's jamming goddamn needles through your scalp, how can you do it wrong? Anyway, I had my hopes up too, and the worst is that I'm still doing it every week :p. I figured I had already done it for 3 months so why not stick with it?

I will stop more than a month before my final hair transplant to be safe though, and somehow I doubt that De Reys will be like "but, look at all that hair you grew back thanks to the dermarolling, I can't place any graft now!" No. He's going to be like "fuck that's a large bald area to cover with only 1000 grafts!".

shadylane
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » 8 months ago

Admin wrote:
8 months ago
I think shookwun was spot on when it comes to the Indian (Dhurat) study: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1547016

Different lightnings and different hair lengths after 3 months. And people are still chasing their tail trying to replicate a faulty study. And what pisses me off even more, it's that if you start doubting dermarolling, you'll get the scammer's mantra: "it's because you're doing it wrong!"

It's jamming goddamn needles through your scalp, how can you do it wrong? Anyway, I had my hopes up too, and the worst is that I'm still doing it every week :p. I figured I had already done it for 3 months so why not stick with it?

I will stop more than a month before my final hair transplant to be safe though, and somehow I doubt that De Reys will be like "but, look at all that hair you grew back thanks to the dermarolling, I can't place any graft now!" No. He's going to be like "fuck that's a large bald area to cover with only 1000 grafts!".
Have you seen the guy from reddit, currently posting oh hairlosstalk?
Seems to be having great results from using a wireless dermapen at 2mm, maybe at that depth you hit the sweet spot.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

shadylane wrote:
8 months ago
Have you seen the guy from reddit, currently posting oh hairlosstalk?
Seems to be having great results from using a wireless dermapen at 2mm, maybe at that depth you hit the sweet spot.
I've seen it and a few people have noticed that he was using an affiliate Amazon link to get people to buy the device he's using.

It smells fishy, he tried to justify it but I'm having a hard time buying it, he said: "Yeah I had great results so why not make a few bucks out of it?"

It doesn't sound like someone who magically cured a very bad case of hair loss. 1.5mm is already quite deep and if that doesn't do anything, I don't think adding .5 mm will help.

I could be wrong though and it seems another "fad" is about to start because (thanks to?) this guy. Other people will try his method, and we'll see. Personally, I won't be holding my breath.

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » 8 months ago

Admin wrote:
8 months ago

And now let me explain why I said 'supposedly'. I'm going to go for the jugular here: there's a good chance that he conned the hair loss world and just had a hair transplant. He then started his YouTube channel to further the attention he already garnered on hair loss forums.

Uninformed post honestly.

First of all, Somebody doesn't do wounding.

Secondly, he's been posting for years on HairLossTalk to boost his shitty youtube channel? He has 500 subscribers and many of his videos don't even crack a 1000 views.

Also, I think it's obvious that his hair line is simply not transplant work.

Of course I'm not saying to expect his results. But as is the case with every form of treatment there will be a great variance. I also have to point out that besides not following his way of using the dermaroller, you are also not blocking DHT like he is.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 8 months ago

To me, its not very likely that Somebody was frauding.

Like another poster said, he's posted on the HairLossTalk forums for years. He also posted pictures of his results on finasteride and minoxidil, where he was still receeded but had some progress on his starting point. He already seemed like a decent responder to the treatments

When he added the dermarolling for absorption, this may have increase the effectiveness of his treatments.

If it is true that he never got a transplant, then his results are simply amazing.

That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by That Guy » 8 months ago

White Ferrari wrote:
8 months ago
Uninformed post honestly.

First of all, Somebody doesn't do wounding.
Yes, he does. That is what dermarolling is.

It's not like you do it so hard you bleed. The Dhurat study just did it until the skin was lightly red. That's wounded, but not at level visible to the naked eye.

Admin is right, the more likely explanation at this point is that Somebody is a conman. It IS pretty suspicious that a guy who is such a rare success story after returning to HairLossTalk years later, with no photos of it growing back in (just all of his hair back at once) is all: "Hey guys, I got my hairback with dermaroller. Buy my book about it."

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

That Guy wrote:
8 months ago
Yes, he does. That is what dermarolling is.

It's not like you do it so hard you bleed. The Dhurat study just did it until the skin was lightly red. That's wounded, but not at level visible to the naked eye.

Admin is right, the more likely explanation at this point is that Somebody is a conman. It IS pretty suspicious that a guy who is such a rare success story after returning to HairLossTalk years later, with no photos of it growing back in (just all of his hair back at once) is all: "Hey guys, I got my hairback with dermaroller. Buy my book about it."
Yep, this really says it all:

https://amzn.to/2R1JSAu

And for $9,99! Straight from the scammer's textbook :lol: .

Seriously though, this is vile, and and it is sad to see how easily hair loss sufferers can be conned (me included).

These guys are predators, they know exactly what to say and how to say it to sound believable.

We've just seen it with another guy on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comm ... dermanpen/

Except here it's "buy this dermapen through an affiliate link".

You have scroll down for ages before you find someone (and the people who upvoted him) who noticed it:

Keep your eyes open my fellow hair loss sufferers, it's very understandable that "we want to believe", but I think a skeptical approach is best when it comes to people who supposedly went through some amazing recoveries.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 8 months ago

This guy had good progress but he went on oral minoxidil, dutasteride/finasteride, and even got a transplant:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... ow.104450/

I believe this guy 99%

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

koolaidshade wrote:
8 months ago
This guy had good progress but he went on oral minoxidil, dutasteride/finasteride, and even got a transplant:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... ow.104450/

I believe this guy 99%
When you use all those proven treatments and have a hair transplant on top of it without starting off as a NW6, of course you're going to be saved.

In the meantime, I'm soon going to deplete my donor area after getting my last remaining ~1000 grafts on my crown and I'm going to be left with nothing on this earth that can get me more hair back.

Only half-assed band-aids like temporary SMP and using beard grafts will be available, but it's unlikely that I will go there. The only thing to do will be to patiently wait for new effective treatments, which will be much easier with an already decent head of hair.

Does it sound like that I'm suffering from hair greed? Funny how it works, these days I'm like "fuck there is a tiny spot where you can see my scalp under bright lights!" completely forgetting where I come from.

The gravity of my hair loss is such that if my hair loss had just been slightly less severe (or stopped at NW5), I would have been completely saved with current treatments. But my situation is rare, and when I see that guy's recovery in the link you posted, I can't help but think that the vast majority of hair loss sufferers today have all the tools they need at their disposal to cure themselves.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 8 months ago

Admin wrote:
8 months ago
Anything else we have is people saying: "Yeah dermarolling works like a motherfucker! No I don't have any pictures, I'm not comfortable showing my hair on the internet!" How convenient.

So yeah, I'm asking again, what is going on here? If we still have believers on this forum, they can chime in.
Well that first quote, you have me pinned! Although I wouldn't say it works like a mother fucker, but no I don't want to show my hair. I hate seeing close up pictures of my hair (I do still take them of course to monitor) so I'm not posting them to randomly flick through threads and see that reminder at random times.

When I do take progress/regress pictures- I evaluate straight away, compare to past pictures, and then put it at the back of my mind until next time. I'm not posting them here for when I'm already in a shitty mood about my hair that day and see my bald pics thread bumped (although I suppose, as I'll explain, I am getting closer to the stage of not having to feel so shitty, you'll still always have bad days with diffuse though).

Anyway on to derma semi-success- after starting dutasteride and improving my hair line for roughly 3-4 months, as well as density, it worked in the same way of hair growth as finasteride for a very similar time period, the same as when I started minoxidil years ago actually, and on all 3 then maintained up until a point where I'd lose hair (in separate cycles if this is making sense, I'd move on to another one to grow, then maintain, lose, then get desperate for the next one)

A few months after the initial growth stopped, I realised dutasteride was doing the exact same thing as finasteride, no more baby hair growth on the hair line, same density (still, it was maintaining after initial growth, definitely not complaining) I then decided, why not try derma rolling?

4 months in and it's not exactly working like a motherfucker but after doing update pics for myself a few weeks ago, I'm not just imagining this (as I sometimes can if I get a hair cut and my hair doesn't seem so bad, but overhead and side scalp pics under harsh lighting/wet/both do not lie) I'm getting denser hair. What gets to me most about my hair is my island fringe (if anyone knows my posts remotely well I mention "island fringe" a lot) and although my hair line isn't continuing to grow forward like on finasteride/dutasteride, the island fringe is filling in more, but also crown and center part of the head are no longer as thin. Under certain lighting it's actually thick looking, it's momentarily nice even when I know I'm fooling myself. Like seeing a hair system result without sitting down being glued and clipped for 2 hours.

Disclaimer- like I say, of course I am still on minoxidil, finasteride, dutasteride, and other probably more useless things like Nizoral and biotin. There is of course a possibility that one of these treatments has somehow kicked in effectively again, as I was initially a great responder to the first 3 I mentioned, each time I started on them (with gaps in between, so minoxidil, a few years or more, finasteride and then another few years until dutasteride).

But the reason I explained the similarity between initial bursts of growth and then just maintaining, is that the difference on introducing dutasteride, after it slowed down in results, something kept hair growing. And that "something" time frame seems to co-incide with when I started derma rolling, about 3 months to start to notice results (for those who respond well, of course).

I went back to re-read the first page of the derma thread on this forum, where I wrote mainly to Statham but also Fred. When it comes to the "is he trolling us/financial gain?!" argument you can just refer to that as my basic stance hasn't changed much, and no him trying to capitalise on hair growth to make a buck on Amazon also doesn't mean that was always his game plan (though it's a really great book by the way please like my 5 star review of it :) ).

But really in particular Stathams argument "if it actually worked then why isn't it on every magazine cover?!" or whatever, that got to me particularly then and still does now, and my answer is the same- it might work for fuck all guys. Also it might mainly work for guys like me who can't definitely say it's down to derma rolling, do you think many guys out there turn to slicing up their scalp first before minoxidil and finasteride? We've got a small amount of guys who it actually works on, and out of that group, an even smaller amount of guys who can shout to the roof tops about it because they're already on 1/2 other treatments minimum. This does not equate to mass hysteria.

So look, I can't guarantee dutasteride isn't just working it's magic, or somehow finasteride or minoxidil got a 2nd wind years on, but dutasteride was petering out the same as other treatments and I'm convinced derma rolling is making a crucial difference right now. Are more scientifically proven treatments also making a difference? Possibly and maybe certainly, but still derma rolling is playing it's part.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 8 months ago

Oh and proof of improving hair without pictures- my post count on here goes down significantly lololol
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 8 months ago

I have seen a lot of miracle recovery jobs on hair forums over the years but I am fairly convinced that most of them didn't suffer from male pattern baldness in the first place. There are a lots of causes of hairloss thyroid issues, vitamin deficiency, stress, allergy etc these are more likely to be the culprits than male pattern baldness.