Weightlifting thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
BaldingChicken
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Finasteride.

Re: Weightlifting thread

Post by BaldingChicken » 4 months ago

I'm not sure if this belongs here and it may be a stupid question, but is small doses of creatine a good idea? I've been taking finasteride for 5 years and working out off & on for a couple years but recently started taking it more seriously because I'm tired of being a beta loser.

I did some research myself and it didn't seem to have too much science to back it up other than 1 study and some anecdotal evidence, but was wondering if the fact that I take finasteride would make any difference or not. I just can't afford to lose the little hair I have left so I'm quite unsure.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 4 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
4 months ago
nice, 4 days a week is plenty especially if you're doing muay thai and hiit on top of it. You should try jump roping like most boxers do for your HIIT. Keeps things fun.

what im doing right now is:
monday - kickboxing and abs/bodyweight workout
wednesday- same as monday
friday, saturday, or sunday - dumbbell benches and pullups/rows, abs, some cardio or jump roping

sometimes i'll do steady state cardio like stairmasters on tuesdays or thursdays if i feel like i've eaten too much during the week

I dont even do isolation exercises except abs now. saves me time and i dont want my arms/legs to get too big. I wouldnt mind a tiny bit more mass on my chest, shoulders, abs and neck though

also i actually workout at planet fitness, and its pretty chill there. its very clean compared to most gyms and always plenty of free room/equipment. doesnt hurt that there's some cute girls there and since you're at planet fitness instead of golds gym, you're not always automatically labeled as a stereotypical gymcel, i guess especially if you're seen doing stretches, abs, and jump roping.
I do jumprope somtimes, I used to do it a lot although I don't as much now because the calisthenics room in my gym where there's space for it is often being used for zumba and spin classes or whatever. I've gotten pretty decent with it over the years switching feet and doing across the body and stuff. The one thing I've never gotten very good at that I'd like to is double unders, but maybe one day

I actually only just used the stairmaster for the first time ever in this last month, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I've seen people using it over the years but never gave it much thought....turns out I've been missing out. I made a HIIT workout out of it by turning it all the way up for the last 20 seconds of every minute to jog up the stairs....can literally feel the calories dripping off of you

I've had a planet fitness membership on and off in the past....I can make it work but in general it's not for me if there's another decent and affordable option in the area. I like having options for heavy free weights, being able to superset, and yes even grunt and breathe heavy to bang out an extra rep or 2 :D . I understand the appeal though of the price and the 24 hour thing, those are definitely the 2 things planet fitness has going for it. My current gym actually matches PF's $10 a month, but it's not 24 hours

Added in 4 minutes 5 seconds:
White Ferrari wrote:
4 months ago
No arm day.

Do you even lift?
Nah bruh xD xD

In all seriousness though my arms get hit plenty with my chest and back workouts. I literally haven't done a bicep curl in years

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 month ago

Doing German Volume Training for 6 weeks, focusing on weight loss and strength but idgaf I'll put on some muscle anyway, I am also hoping that it increases my endurance with compound exercises. Right now I'm just feeling out what weight to use this week in preparing for starting Monday.

So GVT is 4 exercises a day, 10 sets and 10 reps, at about 60% of your 1RM (but can be considerably lower). There's 90 second rest for the larger compound movements but only 60 seconds for isolated exercises.

This may seem like a huge amount of volume, however doing 40 sets of GVT is not the same as doing 40 sets of a normal split workout (which would leave you dead for a few days), it's designed so that the first 5-6 sets are very comfortable, but by 8 you are suddenly really feeling it, and the last 2 sets you might not even make 10 reps. This does depend on getting the weight right for each exercise and it can be hard to gauge.

In terms of progressive overload, with compound movements once you complete 10 sets of 10 reps with good form, you may move up the next week. With isolation exercises, simple focus on explosive power and very slow eccentric movements. It is also designed with 3 muscle groups per day (Day A- Chest, Biceps, Shoulders, Day B- Back, Legs, Triceps) but each day one of those muscle groups will have 3 exercises, if I feel I'm over training I will drop one of these. But I've done it before, generally I recover quite fast even if my diet isn't on point, as mentioned anyway, most of the way through each exercise is like an moderately intense warm up, so you aren't constantly putting too much stress on your nervous system.

And yes, I'm going nuts on bench press, it was increasing so well until a year ago when I neglected it, and for me it's the most satisfying exercise to get right with increasing that weight but also keeping perfect form (along with maybe deadlift). A gymbro advised at least twice a week instead of once, and to my surprise, encouraged even 3 times as my suggestion, which I don't hear often from advanced lifters, but that guy's a fucking strong manlet with 140kg for reps, and he's not even huge. Anyhow-

All 10 Sets and 10 Reps:

Monday
Bench press 5 sets (normal Bench, only exercise not GVT)
Cable crossover
Decline DB bicep curls
Lateral raises

Tuesday
Deadlift
Leg press
Kickbacks
Dip cable barbell push down

Wednesday
Overhead press
Bench GVT
Cable bicep pull
Reverse curl

Thursday
Squat
DB rows
Lat pulldown
Tricep push down

Friday
Barbell curl
Bench GVT
Arnold press
Reverse delt fly

Saturday
Skullcrushers
Bb row
Front squat
Farmers walk
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 1 month ago

Don't get too big, @Rudiger. When we meet how am I supposed to defend myself against a hulking Rudi?

Stay in my weight division.

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
1 month ago
Doing German Volume Training for 6 weeks, focusing on weight loss and strength but idgaf I'll put on some muscle anyway, I am also hoping that it increases my endurance with compound exercises. Right now I'm just feeling out what weight to use this week in preparing for starting Monday.

So GVT is 4 exercises a day, 10 sets and 10 reps, at about 60% of your 1RM (but can be considerably lower). There's 90 second rest for the larger compound movements but only 60 seconds for isolated exercises.

This may seem like a huge amount of volume, however doing 40 sets of GVT is not the same as doing 40 sets of a normal split workout (which would leave you dead for a few days), it's designed so that the first 5-6 sets are very comfortable, but by 8 you are suddenly really feeling it, and the last 2 sets you might not even make 10 reps. This does depend on getting the weight right for each exercise and it can be hard to gauge.

In terms of progressive overload, with compound movements once you complete 10 sets of 10 reps with good form, you may move up the next week. With isolation exercises, simple focus on explosive power and very slow eccentric movements. It is also designed with 3 muscle groups per day (Day A- Chest, Biceps, Shoulders, Day B- Back, Legs, Triceps) but each day one of those muscle groups will have 3 exercises, if I feel I'm over training I will drop one of these. But I've done it before, generally I recover quite fast even if my diet isn't on point, as mentioned anyway, most of the way through each exercise is like an moderately intense warm up, so you aren't constantly putting too much stress on your nervous system.

And yes, I'm going nuts on bench press, it was increasing so well until a year ago when I neglected it, and for me it's the most satisfying exercise to get right with increasing that weight but also keeping perfect form (along with maybe deadlift). A gymbro advised at least twice a week instead of once, and to my surprise, encouraged even 3 times as my suggestion, which I don't hear often from advanced lifters, but that guy's a fucking strong manlet with 140kg for reps, and he's not even huge. Anyhow-

All 10 Sets and 10 Reps:

Monday
Cable crossover
Decline DB bicep curls
Lateral raises

Tuesday
Deadlift
Leg press
Kickbacks

Wednesday
Overhead press
Bench GVT
Cable bicep pull
Reverse curl

Thursday
Squat
DB rows
Lat pulldown
Tricep push down

Friday
Barbell curl
Bench GVT
Arnold press
Reverse delt fly

Saturday
Skullcrushers
Bb row
Front squat
Farmers walk
You forgot Sunday.
August in New York! (taxpayer funded)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

Question for @Afro_Vacancy:

You've alluded to the fact that contrary to what the eternal broscience tells us, muscle mass and fat levels actually vary independently, and I was quite skeptical about that claim, given how vehemently the gym bros would deny it online.

Well, I've recently decided to lose weight (partly with the help of intermittent fasting so thanks for the tip) while fully accepting that I might lose some muscle mass, and surprise, I can actually lift just as much as before.

I know the first objection here will be: "but bruh, just because you can lift just as much doesn't mean you have the same amount of muscles!" To which I'd reply: :|.

So is it the case, or have I misread what you meant? Thanks :).

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
Question for Afro_Vacancy:

You've alluded to the fact that contrary to what the eternal broscience tells us, muscle mass and fat levels actually vary independently, and I was quite skeptical about that claim, given how vehemently the gym bros would deny it online.

Well, I've recently decided to lose weight (partly with the help of intermittent fasting so thanks for the tip) while fully accepting that I might lose some muscle mass, and surprise, I can actually lift just as much as before.

I know the first objection here will be: "but bruh, just because you can lift just as much doesn't mean you have the same amount of muscles!" To which I'd reply: :|.

You can gain muscle and lose some fat at the same time. Bodybuilders often say its not possible as its not really possible for someone experienced so its usually dismissed. It does, however, work well for newbies, those recovering from injury and who have had a lay off, those who aren't near their genetic potential, and those who are on peds.

If you are not used to that high volume (i'm a fan of german volume training as well) and you keep your calories at a slight deficit whilst maintaining a high protein intake (above 150g protein per day) then you will be amazed at your results in 6 weeks.s

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
Question for Afro_Vacancy:

Johnson wrote:
1 month ago
You can gain muscle and lose some fat at the same time. Bodybuilders often say its not possible as its not really possible for someone experienced so its usually dismissed. It does, however, work well for newbies, those recovering from injury and who have had a lay off, those who aren't near their genetic potential, and those who are on peds.

If you are not used to that high volume (i'm a fan of german volume training as well) and you keep your calories at a slight deficit whilst maintaining a high protein intake (above 150g protein per day) then you will be amazed at your results in 6 weeks.s
Nice work Admin.

I agree with nearly everything that Johnson wrote. The exception being that the "6-week" comment might be a bit optimistic, and there my disagreement is small: I'd say 12 weeks.

It's worth adding that getting to 150 grams of protein a day is not completely trivial, it does not happen automatically.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 1 month ago

You don't need massive amounts of protein. And you need even less if you're an experienced lifter.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of ... ybuilders/

"• There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64g/lb.
• Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session."

I'd looked this up a couple months ago but hadn't gotten around to sharing it. Turns out the 1g protein per pound of bodyweight that the online bodybuilding community accepts as gospel is in fact complete broscience bullshit, and not supported by the actual research

@Admin " A perhaps even more telling study is by Pikosky et al. in 2008. The researchers took a group of endurance trained subjects and had them consume either 0.41 or 0.82g/lb of protein per day. They also added a thousand calories worth of training on top of their regular exercise. So these guys were literally running on a 1000 calorie deficit while drastically increasing their training volume. Talk about a catabolic state… Of course the nitrogen balance in the low protein group plummeted. However, the protein intake of 0.82g/lb in the other group completely protected the subjects from muscle loss. Nitrogen balance, whole-body protein turnover and protein synthesis remained unchanged."

So as long as you keep protein intake relatively high, without even having to orderdo it, you should maintain your muscle mass on a calorie deficit. I wouldn't worry about it

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 1 month ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 month ago

All 10 Sets and 10 Reps:

Monday
Cable crossover
Decline DB bicep curls
Lateral raises

Tuesday
Deadlift
Leg press
Kickbacks

Wednesday
Overhead press
Bench GVT
Cable bicep pull
Reverse curl

Thursday
Squat
DB rows
Lat pulldown
Tricep push down

Friday
Barbell curl
Bench GVT
Arnold press
Reverse delt fly

Saturday
Skullcrushers
Bb row
Front squat
Farmers walk
in my opinion an approach this extreme isn't useful until you're approaching olympic athlete or professional body building levels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmdlnV ... qm_QE-UlJw

This guy is an absolute monster and advocates full body work outs twice to three times a week which is what I've been doing for the past 9 months or so. I used to have a program like yours and quite frankly there's virtually no difference in output and I'm spending 10x less time at the gym, also less sore muscles all the time.

Added in 2 minutes 43 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
Nice work Admin.

I agree with nearly everything that Johnson wrote. The exception being that the "6-week" comment might be a bit optimistic, and there my disagreement is small: I'd say 12 weeks.

It's worth adding that getting to 150 grams of protein a day is not completely trivial, it does not happen automatically.
150 grams of protein a day is huge, its also very likely to be overkill. Most of the info on protein isn't based on studies but propaganda from the supplement industry appealing to those craving an easy way to gains.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

JLBB wrote:
1 month ago
150 grams of protein a day is huge, its also very likely to be overkill. Most of the info on protein isn't based on studies but propaganda from the supplement industry appealing to those craving an easy way to gains.
I'm aware that the claims of protein requirements are exaggerated by corporate sponsors and their bro-science hacks, though I don't know where the threshold is.

I hope to start a bulk in July/August, and I'll be aiming at ~100+ grams a day. I don't think that I can reach 150 without making it a life priority.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

JLBB wrote:
1 month ago

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmdlnV ... qm_QE-UlJw

This guy is an absolute male model

fixed

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » 1 month ago

I've been trying to figure out how to scale back/condense my weightlifting sessions to accommodate time for cardio. I'm terribly out of shape cardiovascularly - I get winded from going up a couple of flights of stairs briskly. This has many effects (in addition to disposing me towards many ailments due to poor circulation/oxygen metabolism), including forcing me to take much longer rests between sets during lifting.

I currently spend ~1.5 hours per session 3-4x per week on lifting. Adding more time to each session to fit in cardio seems like overkill, as does having to go to the gym 5-6 days per week (I don't wanna be that guy). One option I've been thinking about is to do cardio at home on an elliptical when I wake up, and then go to the gym after work later in the day.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Bklyn_23 wrote:
1 month ago
I've been trying to figure out how to scale back/condense my weightlifting sessions to accommodate time for cardio. I'm terribly out of shape cardiovascularly - I get winded from going up a couple of flights of stairs briskly. This has many effects (in addition to disposing me towards many ailments due to poor circulation/oxygen metabolism), including forcing me to take much longer rests between sets during lifting.

I currently spend ~1.5 hours per session 3-4x per week on lifting. Adding more time to each session to fit in cardio seems like overkill, as does having to go to the gym 5-6 days per week (I don't wanna be that guy). One option I've been thinking about is to do cardio at home on an elliptical when I wake up, and then go to the gym after work later in the day.
Yeah, I've ordered an elliptical for my apartment. My cardio is actually a lot better than my strength, but I figured that this would be a more efficient setup. I also want to do it five minutes after waking up.

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Post by Xexos » 1 day ago

So tomorrow i'm going to hit the gym for the first time in 5 years or so, and actually the last times weren't even serious, so this is considered my first serious time.

I went out today and got a cool shirt and shorts for the gym and i'm really excited for it. I'm going to increase strength and aesthetics at the same time by getting shredded and getting to low body fat, which will make my body and face much more attractive.

Any advice from the gymcels on here for a beginner like me will be really useful.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 day ago

I have the benefit of having an above-average gym in my hotel this week. I'm going to try and go on most days.
Xexos wrote:
1 day ago
So tomorrow i'm going to hit the gym for the first time in 5 years or so, and actually the last times weren't even serious, so this is considered my first serious time.

I went out today and got a cool shirt and shorts for the gym and i'm really excited for it. I'm going to increase strength and aesthetics at the same time by getting shredded and getting to low body fat, which will make my body and face much more attractive.

Any advice from the gymcels on here for a beginner like me will be really useful.
Get a notebook and keep a journal of how many reps, sets, and weights you do. It will do your ego good to see your progress two or three months down the line.