Weightlifting thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

Weightlifting thread

#11553

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

Rudiger wrote:
1 year ago
Wait what, the Chad's with great faces have better looking girlfriends than the potato faces?! Get outta town.

Without their insane bodies those guys "meh" girlfriends might be non-existent girlfriends.
Spending 5 times a week in the GYM to get a "meh" girlfriend that is even a bit chubby? If that doesnt make you suizidal, I dont know what will.

Today I saw one of those couples in the Bus. He got a below average face but very trained body. She got also a below average face, BUT was fat as fuck.

But yeah you could be right, at least they get "something"....I guess?

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 59
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 100
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Weightlifting thread

#11564

Post by Bklyn_23 » 1 year ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
who is that instagram baddie in your profile pic?

i've been gymcelling since 2009, but nowadays i'm just trying to stay lean and couldn't care less about gaining any more muscle. basically look fit but not too much of a tryhard gymcel

a body like this:
Image
Image

is more important than most bodybuilding miscer's dream body
Very hard to achieve (hard, not impossible) after age 30, especially if one was significantly overweight for an extended period of time. But yeah, that's a great aesthetic. I have a lot of muscle and a very impressive frame (so I've been told) that I've gained from 4 years in the gym 3-4 times per week, but I really wanna lean out so I can see it all more. I was getting there in the summer, but have already put back on my winter 20 (15-17 pounds of which is water weight which I can shed in 3-4 weeks). I wanna start some cardio but I already spend so much time in the gym as it is that it's hard to make time. HIIT would be perfect, but given my lower back issues, age (nearly 41), and the fact that I've been completely inactive aerobically for 9+ years, it's something I'd need to build up to in order to avoid injury. I'd love to be able to bang out a HIIT session in 15-20 min, though. Tabata sprints was something I was about to start doing 3.5 years ago, and then I herniated two discs in my lower back very badly, so I never started it.

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 959
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 1978
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Weightlifting thread

#11572

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

Bklyn_23 wrote:
1 year ago
Very hard to achieve (hard, not impossible) after age 30, especially if one was significantly overweight for an extended period of time. But yeah, that's a great aesthetic. I have a lot of muscle and a very impressive frame (so I've been told) that I've gained from 4 years in the gym 3-4 times per week, but I really wanna lean out so I can see it all more. I was getting there in the summer, but have already put back on my winter 20 (15-17 pounds of which is water weight which I can shed in 3-4 weeks). I wanna start some cardio but I already spend so much time in the gym as it is that it's hard to make time. HIIT would be perfect, but given my lower back issues, age (nearly 41), and the fact that I've been completely inactive aerobically for 9+ years, it's something I'd need to build up to in order to avoid injury. I'd love to be able to bang out a HIIT session in 15-20 min, though. Tabata sprints was something I was about to start doing 3.5 years ago, and then I herniated two discs in my lower back very badly, so I never started it.
Cardio is overrated and without consistency isn't going to allow you to stay that way. Better off counting calories to the dot and slowly cutting for a few months. I have this same problem with a good frame, similar to this guys but always find it hard to keep the fat off. Always too much fat on my face too that negates my jawline.

User avatar
blackg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2311
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 4230

Weightlifting thread

#11577

Post by blackg » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Cardio is overrated and without consistency isn't going to allow you to stay that way. Better off counting calories to the dot and slowly cutting for a few months. I have this same problem with a good frame, similar to this guys but always find it hard to keep the fat off. Always too much fat on my face too that negates my jawline.
You still look good to me.
we need a united Mississippi

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Weightlifting thread

#11578

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Cardio is overrated and without consistency isn't going to allow you to stay that way. Better off counting calories to the dot and slowly cutting for a few months. I have this same problem with a good frame, similar to this guys but always find it hard to keep the fat off. Always too much fat on my face too that negates my jawline.
HIIT is not overrated. Literally one of the best things for weight loss as it puts your body in a constant metabolic state. Even if you’re just getting in 10-15 min sessions

Cardiovascular oriented fitness is also an important part of remaining functional and healthy after your younger years have passed

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 959
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 1978
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Weightlifting thread

#11581

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
HIIT is not overrated. Literally one of the best things for weight loss as it puts your body in a constant metabolic state. Even if you’re just getting in 10-15 min sessions

Cardiovascular oriented fitness is also an important part of remaining functional and healthy after your younger years have passed
Its a time and energy issue though, depending on your workout setups you're unlikely going to be able to do both to an ideal capacity, and at the end of the day weightloss is calories in calories out. For most people the physical energy and time it takes isn't worth the calories that it will cut. You also will need to be consistent with it in the long term to maintain results.

There's plenty of info and various opinions from the fitness world on this too. The amount of calories you burn through HIIT is low and it is physically draining to a point that it will hurt your ability to perform with weights.

Cardio might help you be "healthy" but purely for aesthetics it is overrated. Cut out the equivalent of an apple and a half a day and you've done what a HIIT session will. Its not a lot for a huge amount of energy exerted. It also has to be continued long term or the weight will be put on again, unlike if you're purely watching calories which is far simpler.

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 320
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 510
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Weightlifting thread

#11602

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Its a time and energy issue though, depending on your workout setups you're unlikely going to be able to do both to an ideal capacity, and at the end of the day weightloss is calories in calories out. For most people the physical energy and time it takes isn't worth the calories that it will cut. You also will need to be consistent with it in the long term to maintain results.

There's plenty of info and various opinions from the fitness world on this too. The amount of calories you burn through HIIT is low and it is physically draining to a point that it will hurt your ability to perform with weights.

Cardio might help you be "healthy" but purely for aesthetics it is overrated. Cut out the equivalent of an apple and a half a day and you've done what a HIIT session will. Its not a lot for a huge amount of energy exerted. It also has to be continued long term or the weight will be put on again, unlike if you're purely watching calories which is far simpler.
no no no. HIIT is good for many reasons. it boosts your metabolic rate even afterwards, and since you do it for a shorter amount of time than steady state cardio, there is less cortisol released.

Almost all hot celebrities that workout do some HIIT

Image
Image
Image
Last edited by koolaidshade 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Weightlifting thread

#11603

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
Its a time and energy issue though, depending on your workout setups you're unlikely going to be able to do both to an ideal capacity, and at the end of the day weightloss is calories in calories out. For most people the physical energy and time it takes isn't worth the calories that it will cut. You also will need to be consistent with it in the long term to maintain results.

There's plenty of info and various opinions from the fitness world on this too. The amount of calories you burn through HIIT is low and it is physically draining to a point that it will hurt your ability to perform with weights.

Cardio might help you be "healthy" but purely for aesthetics it is overrated. Cut out the equivalent of an apple and a half a day and you've done what a HIIT session will. Its not a lot for a huge amount of energy exerted. It also has to be continued long term or the weight will be put on again, unlike if you're purely watching calories which is far simpler.
An apple and half? Possibly during the session itself depending on length and intensity. What I'm referring to though is the impact HIIT will have on your metabolism, which will increase it even during rest and inactivity

I understand what you're saying though about having to pick and choose the things you're going to expend energy and time on. Still though a person could tack a 10-15 min HIIT session onto the end of their workout after lifting, and this way it wouldn't affect their performance with strength training if that was their main priority. Or they could ramp up their HIIT if losing weight is a priority, and then switch to simply counting calories once an ideal body fat is achieved. Either way it's a valid tool for weight loss

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 320
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 510
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Weightlifting thread

#11654

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
An apple and half? Possibly during the session itself depending on length and intensity. What I'm referring to though is the impact HIIT will have on your metabolism, which will increase it even during rest and inactivity

I understand what you're saying though about having to pick and choose the things you're going to expend energy and time on. Still though a person could tack a 10-15 min HIIT session onto the end of their workout after lifting, and this way it wouldn't affect their performance with strength training if that was their main priority. Or they could ramp up their HIIT if losing weight is a priority, and then switch to simply counting calories once an ideal body fat is achieved. Either way it's a valid tool for weight loss
how much can you bench press/squat/deadlift these days? I used to be able to bench 225 with shitty form, and 185 for reps with good form. I can still put up 185 but i try to go light since i'm getting older and need to do high reps for safety and to burn more calories.

I think anyone can do HIIT even if they dont have a gym membership. you can easily, jump rope, hill sprints, or bodyweight circuits

User avatar
kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 382
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 895
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Weightlifting thread

#11659

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
how much can you bench press/squat/deadlift these days? I used to be able to bench 225 with shitty form, and 185 for reps with good form. I can still put up 185 but i try to go light since i'm getting older and need to do high reps for safety and to burn more calories.
Currently I don't do any of the 3 major compound lifts as part of my routine. I've actually never been a deadlifts guy as I heavily orient my strength training towards aesthetics and I feel like they don't have much carryover in this regard. The way I structure my workouts is kind of non-conventional and very specific to me as an individual. On paper it would make most bro scientists be like :wtf: The short version of what I'm doing at the moment is:
Monday: Quads
Wednesday: Chest/shoulders, abs
Thursday: hams, calves
Sunday: Abs, back

I basically just lift to maintain muscle mass at this point, and then I'm also doing muay thai and I work in ~3 other HIIT/cardio workouts per week and some other functional stuff around my lifting
koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
I think anyone can do HIIT even if they dont have a gym membership. you can easily, jump rope, hill sprints, or bodyweight circuits
I agree. Fuck yeah. Hill sprints are amazing. Will make you explosive as fuck. I haven't done them lately, but in my parents' neighborhood there was this awesome hill I used to do....I had a love/hate relationship with that hill :twisted: :D Unfortunately where I'm living now the terrain is almost completely flat

User avatar
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 320
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 510
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Weightlifting thread

#11660

Post by koolaidshade » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
Currently I don't do any of the 3 major compound lifts as part of my routine. I've actually never been a deadlifts guy as I heavily orient my strength training towards aesthetics and I feel like they don't have much carryover in this regard. The way I structure my workouts is kind of non-conventional and very specific to me as an individual. On paper it would make most bro scientists be like :wtf: The short version of what I'm doing at the moment is:
Monday: Quads
Wednesday: Chest/shoulders, abs
Thursday: hams, calves
Sunday: Abs, back

I basically just lift to maintain muscle mass at this point, and then I'm also doing muay thai and I work in ~3 other HIIT/cardio workouts per week and some other functional stuff around my lifting



I agree. Fuck yeah. Hill sprints are amazing. Will make you explosive as fuck. I haven't done them lately, but in my parents' neighborhood there was this awesome hill I used to do....I had a love/hate relationship with that hill :twisted: :D Unfortunately where I'm living now the terrain is almost completely flat
nice, 4 days a week is plenty especially if you're doing muay thai and hiit on top of it. You should try jump roping like most boxers do for your HIIT. Keeps things fun.

what im doing right now is:
monday - kickboxing and abs/bodyweight workout
wednesday- same as monday
friday, saturday, or sunday - dumbbell benches and pullups/rows, abs, some cardio or jump roping

sometimes i'll do steady state cardio like stairmasters on tuesdays or thursdays if i feel like i've eaten too much during the week

I dont even do isolation exercises except abs now. saves me time and i dont want my arms/legs to get too big. I wouldnt mind a tiny bit more mass on my chest, shoulders, abs and neck though

also i actually workout at planet fitness, and its pretty chill there. its very clean compared to most gyms and always plenty of free room/equipment. doesnt hurt that there's some cute girls there and since you're at planet fitness instead of golds gym, you're not always automatically labeled as a stereotypical gymcel, i guess especially if you're seen doing stretches, abs, and jump roping.

User avatar
justin
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 257
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Nothing

Weightlifting thread

#11664

Post by justin » 1 year ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 year ago
who is that instagram baddie in your profile pic?

i've been gymcelling since 2009, but nowadays i'm just trying to stay lean and couldn't care less about gaining any more muscle. basically look fit but not too much of a tryhard gymcel

a body like this:
Image
Image

is more important than most bodybuilding miscer's dream body
This is my body. I honestly don't have to work out for it, I usually hit the gym like twice a week and lift some weights just for fun/health purposes.

I feel awkward when guys who struggle to lose weight ask me for my workout routine/diet.

But in a few years I'll be in my 30's and I'm a bit worried that my body will start changing.
Even when I’m lying on my back I’m never backing down.

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 865
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 2039
Norwood: NW3.5

Weightlifting thread

#11667

Post by JasonStatham » 1 year ago

justin wrote:
1 year ago
This is my body. I honestly don't have to work out for it, I usually hit the gym like twice a week and lift some weights just for fun/health purposes.

I feel awkward when guys who struggle to lose weight ask me for my workout routine/diet.

But in a few years I'll be in my 30's and I'm a bit worried that my body will start changing.
Chad spotted.
My brother was the same. And when he got in his 30s, he had to start doing more Sports or he would get a bit chubby. But before he lived like a pig and still had lower body fat than most people. Of course, I don't have this genetics as well as the "no hair" Genetics.

My mother cheated with a bald UPS driver :bald:

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 3789
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Weightlifting thread

#11682

Post by Rudiger » 1 year ago

It doesn't surprise me that someone who works out a few times a week can have a body like that, especially if their diet is in check but even not. Plenty of men have a fast metabolism.

It's not exactly a wrestler body or anything. His chest looks deceivingly large in the 2nd gif, but you can see how it really is from the 1st.
Look, fat...

User avatar
White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 91
Joined: 2 years ago
Reputation: 260
Norwood: NW3.5

Weightlifting thread

#11686

Post by White Ferrari » 1 year ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 year ago
Currently I don't do any of the 3 major compound lifts as part of my routine. I've actually never been a deadlifts guy as I heavily orient my strength training towards aesthetics and I feel like they don't have much carryover in this regard. The way I structure my workouts is kind of non-conventional and very specific to me as an individual. On paper it would make most bro scientists be like :wtf: The short version of what I'm doing at the moment is:
Monday: Quads
Wednesday: Chest/shoulders, abs
Thursday: hams, calves
Sunday: Abs, back
No arm day.

Do you even lift?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post