Film and television discussion thread

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Film and television discussion thread

Post by Hairblues » 5 days ago

Exodus wrote:
5 days ago
lol im not trying to put you down. but you definitely showed typical female privilege and misunderstanding of incel issues
Well I don’t think so, but you think what you want it’s not worth debating with you.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:
yettee wrote:
5 days ago
Thanks for this... what's DP? Um... deputy producer?

Jon Hein also liked it :D
Director of photography

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 5 days ago

Hairblues wrote:
5 days ago
Well I don’t think so, but you think what you want it’s not worth debating with you.

Added in 1 minute 1 second:

Director of photography
an AI and a gold digger are completely different. i dont see how you can equate them besides the fact that neither are a normal girlfriend.

it seemed like you were trying to dismiss AI girlfriends because you dont understand them or you're threatened by them

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

yettee wrote:
5 days ago

I forgot how funny Stern is. Grew up listening to him.

Added in 35 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
5 days ago
an AI and a gold digger are completely different. i dont see how you can equate them besides the fact that neither are a normal girlfriend.

it seemed like you were trying to dismiss AI girlfriends because you dont understand them or you're threatened by them
Keep showing everyone how you’re looking to fight and troll me. It’s very entertaining.

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 5 days ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 week ago
JLBB did you understand WTF Claire Denis' High Life was about?
I stole this from a review I read and its somewhat corny and over the top but this quote encapsulates it well:

"It may be too lofty to call High Life a microcosm of humanity; then again, it may not be. Denis seems to liken the isolation of a few people trapped on a ship hurtling through space to the entire human experience. We’re all alone in a craft headed toward who-knows-what end, only our spaceship is a planet of limited resources, where we cannot help but carry out acts of violence toward one another, feed our desires in sometimes hideous ways, endlessly procreate despite the grim outlook for our progeny, and use up everything around us because we’re selfish. And when infinity presents itself, Denis seems excited to leap into the unknown if only as a break in the pattern of traditional human experience. She asks us to have the same curiosity, holding out a hand and asking, “Shall we?” "

In saying that, I thought it was a terrible film, structurally incoherent, emotionally tone deaf and out of touch with any sort of human reality. There are a huge amount of ideas going on in a sort of throw everything at the wall and see what sticks kind of fashion. The strange and surface value political angle especially terrible. Some others like the "taboo" emphasis early on seems to be entirely forgotten in terms of how it was ever relevant. It also seems to arbitrarily reference elements of every highly regarded sci-fi film under the sun also, which became one of many distractions on top of the casting of Andre 3000 for example with no logical explanation apart from that she or the casting director liked Outkast or something.

Claire Denis is a terrific director and in my opinion it takes a director of that level to make a film this utterly disastrous. I seriously hated the structure and felt it undermined itself at every turn, virtually everything felt generic, arbitrary or thrown together.

Added in 6 minutes 20 seconds:
yettee wrote:
1 week ago
R, I was listening to Stern the other day and he was complaining a TON about how dark a recent episode of Game of Thrones was. An episode which was a long epic battle... but the lighting was so poor that he couldn't see the action. I dont watch Game of Thrones, so I'm curious, if you saw the episode, is he right? Callers mostly agreed with him. Of course the whole convo was hilarious.

Am still disturbed about what you told me regarding Scott the Engineer. And apparently he hasn't appeared on the show for like a year and is never mentioned anymore. Eh
My likely explanation was that there was a conscious choice to shoot the episode as such, however when the image is this dark and low contrast in terms of imagery you are extremely susceptible to compression artefacts popping up and destroying the image in these dark scenes, especially in terms of the compressed garbage that ends up on streaming services. Someone at the end of the line in post-production should have know exactly what they were sending out however and how it would look on peoples screens as a compressed file though. A show like this should be specifically thought out for the average consumer TV and compression of streaming services.

Not that I'll buy it, but if you watch the uncompressed 1080p blu-ray I'm quite sure that the "artistic" intent of the darkness will become much clearer rather than the mess that it appeared on release.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
yettee wrote:
5 days ago

double penetration

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 5 days ago

I just realized there was an issue with the spoiler tag (see below), it's now fixed.

spoiler-fixed.jpg
spoiler-fixed.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 224 times

So please try to use it to avoid spoiling someone else's beloved TV show :pepe-rage: . I'm going to use it right away to give you my thoughts on the final season of Game of Thrones, which I had already shared with another community:
Spoiler
Show
If I had to summarize how I'm feeling about how the end of the show is unfolding: for me it is quite the "be careful what you wish for" situation.

Game of Thrones embraces postmodernism in the sense that even though it's original author George R.R. Martin had a great understanding of human nature and history, there's a reason the books never got their ending, how can one bring 'full circle' these stories where the main narrative is "characters end up doing the worst things to each other because all they ultimately seek is power"?

I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense here. I still enjoyed the show so far for what it was but I was so sure we would get some kind of 'postmodern' ending and I've certainly seen many fan theories wishing for it, the one I remember the most being: "The Night King is not evil, just misunderstood."

Well, to my surprise, they're actually trying to give the show a proper ending filled with powerful symbolism (at least in my opinion), but I'm afraid there was not enough time to steer the show's characters in that direction so it feels quite contrived. On one hand, I'm happy with it and I was actually enjoying myself seeing it unfold, but on the other hand, you can't help but feel that everything was rushed and forced.
What are you guys' thoughts on how the show is currently unfolding?

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 5 days ago

Exodus wrote:
1 week ago
i assumed i wouldnt have to explain something so simple

as afro just said the AI has simulated love, which at the end of the day is the similar emotion as normal "love" . different mechanism (programmimg vs brain chemicals) but similar result

even if you DONT think its close to real love at least they "feel" SOMETHING

a gold digger doesnt feel anything for you

you're going typical female "ugly men and anything associated with them are losers" mode. also likely jealousy at the idea of being replaced.
"a gold digger doesnt feel anything for you"

I actually think this is a fundamental understanding. Love of the "provider" whether it be currency, shelter, food, dick or whatever is real. Obviously in certain circumstances a gold digger is purely there for money, but there are plenty of women who are digging for gold but also someone they get along with.

AI will never reach the level of providing love. Even if it could, its not going to solve any problems. I've never read an incel complaining about lack of sex, they complain that women don't give a shit about them or want to know them/be interested etc. For sex any guy can hire a good prostitute for a few hundred and although it might be fun its literally nothing like sex with someone where there is mutual appreciation of each other and the feeling of knowing you're pleasing another being.

I barely believe in the validity of incelism beyond guys that are extremely overweight or bald anymore. 95% of the "incels" I see are just stupid fucks, autistic or cancerous assholes.

Added in 3 minutes 42 seconds:
rclark wrote:
6 days ago
Episode 3 was one of the better ones.
Spoiler
Show
The thing is they killed their strongest villain in a single episode.
In almost three episodes they are still fighting a much weaker enemy.

They are going to kill some popular characters.

Everybody knows who's going to kill Cersei.

Sophie is such a boring actress.
Spoiler
Show
"Everybody knows who's going to kill Cersei."

Everyone knew she'd be killed by rocks falling on her head?

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

JLBB wrote:
5 days ago

I actually think this is a fundamental understanding. Love of the "provider" whether it be currency, shelter, food, dick or whatever is real. Obviously in certain circumstances a gold digger is purely there for money, but there are plenty of women who are digging for gold but also someone they get along with.

AI will never reach the level of providing love. Even if it could, its not going to solve any problems. I've never read an incel complaining about lack of sex, they complain that women don't give a shit about them or want to know them/be interested etc. For sex any guy can hire a good prostitute for a few hundred and although it might be fun its literally nothing like sex with someone where there is mutual appreciation of each other and the feeling of knowing you're pleasing another being.

I barely believe in the validity of incelism beyond guys that are extremely overweight or bald anymore. 95% of the "incels" I see are just stupid fucks, autistic or cancerous assholes.

Spoiler
Show

all us incels want is a high quality woman to love us. not sure what you're trying to say but i hope you're not equating gold diggers love of money with a normal girlfriends love of YOU. big difference

as for AI you dont know that. and how would an AI girlfriend not solve inceldom? not only would they replace woman but theyd be superior. women age, sweat, shit, have skin oils, ew. id rather have a clean robot anyday, as would any other guy with class. theyre basically objectively superior

Added in 1 minute 8 seconds:
Admin wrote:
5 days ago
I just realized there was an issue with the spoiler tag (see below), it's now fixed.

spoiler-fixed.jpg

So please try to use it to avoid spoiling someone else's beloved TV show :pepe-rage: . I'm going to use it right away to give you my thoughts on the final season of Game of Thrones, which I had already shared with another community:
Spoiler
Show
If I had to summarize how I'm feeling about how the end of the show is unfolding: for me it is quite the "be careful what you wish for" situation.

Game of Thrones embraces postmodernism in the sense that even though it's original author George R.R. Martin had a great understanding of human nature and history, there's a reason the books never got their ending, how can one bring 'full circle' these stories where the main narrative is "characters end up doing the worst things to each other because all they ultimately seek is power"?

I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense here. I still enjoyed the show so far for what it was but I was so sure we would get some kind of 'postmodern' ending and I've certainly seen many fan theories wishing for it, the one I remember the most being: "The Night King is not evil, just misunderstood."

Well, to my surprise, they're actually trying to give the show a proper ending filled with powerful symbolism (at least in my opinion), but I'm afraid there was not enough time to steer the show's characters in that direction so it feels quite contrived. On one hand, I'm happy with it and I was actually enjoying myself seeing it unfold, but on the other hand, you can't help but feel that everything was rushed and forced.
Spoiler
Show
ive finally gotten a girlfriend

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Admin wrote:
5 days ago

spoiler-fixed.jpg

Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show
i agree. It wasn’t what they did with Daenerys, it was how fast they got there. She has definitely had narsasitic moments all a long even when she did good things it had a self importance about it. But this descent into madness seems to be from knowing Jon’s lineage? Or was it revenge? She’s been through a lot her whole life. So far she hasn’t been easy to break. It didn’t feel clear her motivation and it felt like she and grey worm had a shared feeling so was it premeditated between them? Or in the split moment decision? Hard to tell. I don’t really have an expectation on how it will end. Part of me is wondering if anyone will take the throne. Or will it split up into territories. Sansa being queen of the north, Jon or someone else down south etc. they foreshadowed Jon being with the free folk again but they are tricky so hard to tell.
Added in 8 minutes :
JLBB wrote:
5 days ago

Spoiler
Show

It’s like @Admin said, they will always know they paid for it.
If this becomes a thing, I doubt it will be just men who buy it. There are plenty of wacky women who will buy it also.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 5 days ago

JLBB wrote:
5 days ago
I stole this from a review I read and its somewhat corny and over the top but this quote encapsulates it well:

"It may be too lofty to call High Life a microcosm of humanity; then again, it may not be. Denis seems to liken the isolation of a few people trapped on a ship hurtling through space to the entire human experience. We’re all alone in a craft headed toward who-knows-what end, only our spaceship is a planet of limited resources, where we cannot help but carry out acts of violence toward one another, feed our desires in sometimes hideous ways, endlessly procreate despite the grim outlook for our progeny, and use up everything around us because we’re selfish. And when infinity presents itself, Denis seems excited to leap into the unknown if only as a break in the pattern of traditional human experience. She asks us to have the same curiosity, holding out a hand and asking, “Shall we?” "

In saying that, I thought it was a terrible film, structurally incoherent, emotionally tone deaf and out of touch with any sort of human reality. There are a huge amount of ideas going on in a sort of throw everything at the wall and see what sticks kind of fashion. The strange and surface value political angle especially terrible. Some others like the "taboo" emphasis early on seems to be entirely forgotten in terms of how it was ever relevant. It also seems to arbitrarily reference elements of every highly regarded sci-fi film under the sun also, which became one of many distractions on top of the casting of Andre 3000 for example with no logical explanation apart from that she or the casting director liked Outkast or something.

Claire Denis is a terrific director and in my opinion it takes a director of that level to make a film this utterly disastrous. I seriously hated the structure and felt it undermined itself at every turn, virtually everything felt generic, arbitrary or thrown together.

Added in 6 minutes 20 seconds:

My likely explanation was that there was a conscious choice to shoot the episode as such, however when the image is this dark and low contrast in terms of imagery you are extremely susceptible to compression artefacts popping up and destroying the image in these dark scenes, especially in terms of the compressed garbage that ends up on streaming services. Someone at the end of the line in post-production should have know exactly what they were sending out however and how it would look on peoples screens as a compressed file though. A show like this should be specifically thought out for the average consumer TV and compression of streaming services.

Not that I'll buy it, but if you watch the uncompressed 1080p blu-ray I'm quite sure that the "artistic" intent of the darkness will become much clearer rather than the mess that it appeared on release.

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:

double penetration
Outstanding. Thank you.

Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
JLBB wrote:
5 days ago
I love you too :thumbup:

But I did see your photos, and I've been honest with you. Though you're not exceptionally good looking, you're comfortably above average. You thus experience the world differently.

C4L
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: dropped finasteride after almost 2 years

Post by C4L » 5 days ago

anime and comics are for degenerates and perverts

Exodus
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

C4L wrote:
5 days ago
:D

and @JLBB i reread your post and it seems you're discussing an AI sex robot. im talking about a fully sentient AI, except shes programmed to love you, like the movie "Her". except on her it was a superintelligence so it got bored with theodore. want a general AI, only as smart as a normal person

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 4 days ago

JLBB wrote:
5 days ago

The season is rushed with six episodes.

The Game of Thrones strong point, especially in season six was the revenge at
the season finale. The reversal of victim to the one performing the revenge,
people were being tortured throughout more episodes, and you wanted the tortured
people get their revenge.

Season seven expanded on it, but it wasn't as good because it was the same
people doing the revenge
through out the season.

That person that tortured a lot of people, and killed a lot of people in season seven
and this season should have had a more violent death then they had.

In my opinion, I believe in episode five someone who was threatened to be killed is already
murdered, or is going to be killed soon by someone else.

That would be sick, and a bad character twist, but you never know.

The one person who we are sure will be killed is going to die, and I actually thought
her character was kind of cool. You feel sorry for her in a sense, she lost a lot of her
army.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 4 days ago

Is anyone watching Barry?

I love this show and I don’t really know how to describe it.

It has very light mediocre moments, kind of reminds me of Vice Principals (I liked that as well) if anyone watched that, but then it has these really dark moments that the lead actors performance is fascinating. Maybe because I’ve only seen Bill Hader in silly comedies in past so I’m fascinated by his acting chops I glimpse.
I grew up with ‘Fonzie’ Henry Winkler from Happy Days so sentimentally I like the he Has something interesting as an actor in his golden days.

by the way
I find Bill Hader in this attractive. Not ‘hot’ but he’s a good looking guy in my opinion for his age and in real life.
Attachments
01FD544E-9078-46EE-ADC2-6DA1D08B8097.jpeg
01FD544E-9078-46EE-ADC2-6DA1D08B8097.jpeg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 123 times

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 days ago

C4L wrote:
5 days ago
That's why you can't get enough of them.
marry me, Kaitlin

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » 3 days ago

C4L wrote:
5 days ago
You mean the Asian porn? Some of it is so bizarre. The squid monsters. What’s up with squid monsters?

Added in 7 minutes 23 seconds:
Admin wrote:
5 days ago

spoiler-fixed.jpg

Spoiler
Show

Spoiler
Show
i was thinking of you guys with that little girl attacking the giant (don’t know her name Lady Mormont?). I LOVE Arya's character but I felt like that other little girl, in that scene, it took away from Ayra and from the other bad ass female characters we’ve watched develop over time to become who they are. Even Dani has become a bad ass since season 1 but it wasn’t over night. Not just female characters. Like if a little boy-minor character did that as well I would have rolled my eyes. Like seriously? Why? No reason for it except a cheap cheer moment that was more Disney than Game of Thrones. At least they killed her but I didn’t buy her getting that kill strike in at the last second and it kind of almost (or could have) weakened Arya's uniqueness that followed