Making sense of the current political climate

Discuss everything else: politics, society, culture, science, philosophy, ideas, etc.
pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Re: Making sense of the current political climate

Post by pjhair » 2 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
2 months ago
Are you saying you don't understand the concept of bench pressing yachts??? :thinking:

Jks aside house prices around the bay are so ridiculous I can't get my head around how anyone settles or lives there. I don't understand how a mortgage could work out there.

Even rent prices, no wonder there's so many homeless.
Yes, 180 K salary in SF area is not so good due to house prices. However my friend lives in Seattle. It's supposed to be better but I am not sure as i am not familiar with the market.

The good thing is that some specializations of computer science are highly sought after and one can get a good salary in cheaper areas such as Texas. For example, according to glassdoor, average machine learning engineer salary in Austin Texas is around $140 K with the high end of range at staggering $279K!! It makes much more sense to get a salary of $140K and stay in Texas than to live in bay area at $200k.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 2 months ago

pjhair wrote:
2 months ago
Yes, 180 K salary in SF area is not so good due to house prices. However my friend lives in Seattle. It's supposed to be better but I am not sure as i am not familiar with the market.

The good thing is that some specializations of computer science are highly sought after and one can get a good salary in cheaper areas such as Texas. For example, according to glassdoor, average machine learning engineer salary in Austin Texas is around $140 K with the high end of range at staggering $279K!! It makes much more sense to get a salary of $140K and stay in Texas than to live in bay area at $200k.
Isn't Houston about 20 Percent white? Nice place to start a family.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
Keep Houston white.
Let's pay the slaves

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 months ago

blackg wrote:
2 months ago
Keep Houston white.
Whiteg

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

lol.PNG
lol.PNG (15.1 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Sounds like a nice place.

JLBB
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
lol.PNG

I like the name you gave the image file

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 2 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
I have only been to Houston once. I will never move there. Not a city for me. However, Texas has other cities that are way better.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
lol.PNG

This figure's statistics are sufficiently unrepresentative as to be considered inaccurate.

I'm curious to find out how many of you can identify the error?

Added in 4 minutes :
pjhair wrote:
2 months ago
I have only been to Houston once. I will never move there. Not a city for me. However, Texas has other cities that are way better.
I've been to Seattle a few times and it seems nice. In general though, I'm weary of any city with a lot of tech bros, particularly as a single man. There was a recent online dating study, which compared Seattle, Boston, New York, and Chicago. Of those four cities, Seattle had the worst gender ratio, it had twice as many men in their 30s as women. The other three had better ratios, New York even slightly more women.

But San Francisco is undoubtedly worse. It used to be a major cultural capital of the United States, a lot of people wanted to move there because of the arts, the sciences, the social movements, et cetera. It's been taken over by tech bros, and in general, a lot of people who have a lot of money but no culture. I've spoken to people who have lived there and left, the city's vitality is basically gone.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 2 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
I've been to Seattle a few times and it seems nice. In general though, I'm weary of any city with a lot of tech bros, particularly as a single man. There was a recent online dating study, which compared Seattle, Boston, New York, and Chicago. Of those four cities, Seattle had the worst gender ratio, it had twice as many men in their 30s as women.
Hope @Arjen doesn't see this

Oops, mentioned him

Oops, hitting submit
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

pjhair wrote:
2 months ago
Well everywhere outside of cities its better. But that's how people supposed to live now? I just thought Texas and even Houston, has a big white population. But I heard from a guy that grew up in Houston, you will feel like you are in Mexico and I had to google it. But if you love diversity, its a nice place I guess.

Added in 36 seconds:
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
This figure's statistics are sufficiently unrepresentative as to be considered inaccurate.
Enlighten us high IQ guy.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago

I'm curious to find out how many of you can identify the error?
Because that statistical figure did not include the category of White Hispanic?
The inclusion of white Hispanic will usually bump up a city's white population, anywhere between 10 and 40 percent.

That's all I can think of. Apart from a date on the actual stats, maybe?
Let's pay the slaves

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

What is a white hispanic?

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
What is a white hispanic?
Well I'm no expert but they are just basically light skinned Latinos, possibly they have a white parent and speak exceptional English and are usually very Americanised.

Google Tony Romo. He is the only example of a white Hispanic that comes to mind at the moment.
Let's pay the slaves

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 months ago
Well everywhere outside of cities its better. But that's how people supposed to live now? I just thought Texas and even Houston, has a big white population. But I heard from a guy that grew up in Houston, you will feel like you are in Mexico and I had to google it. But if you love diversity, its a nice place I guess.

Added in 36 seconds:

Enlighten us high IQ guy.
blackg wrote:
2 months ago
Because that statistical figure did not include the category of White Hispanic?
The inclusion of white Hispanic will usually bump up a city's white population, anywhere between 10 and 40 percent.

That's all I can think of. Apart from a date on the actual stats, maybe?
The figure only looks at the city limits which is a completely arbitrary and unjustified cutoff. The numbers add up to something like ~2 million people. Houston is actually the 5th largest metropolitan area in the USA by population, with some ~6.4 million people.

People live in neighborhoods, and they live in metropolitan areas. If somebody grows up in the Houston suburbs, they'll say that they're from Houston, as is the case for most other US cities. There's no magic when you change city limits. You're in the same economic and cultural zone if you cross the street. As a supporting example, the city of Boston has 685,000 people according to the Statham School of Demographics, but culturally and economically, it's really closer to the 4.7 million people of the Metropolitan area.

As for "White Hispanics", American demographic studies assume that humans are from one of five races: Non-Hispanic White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, and American Indian / Pacific Islander. Hispanic includes anybody from Latin America including those that are 100% Caucasian. Asian includes both south Asian and East Asian. White includes Arab and Persian. Black includes east and South African. And so on.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 2 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 months ago
White includes Arab and Persian.