It's Been A Good Week For Developing Therapies

Discuss the latest news about cutting edge hair loss research: Tsuji, RepliCel, Follicum, etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: It's Been A Good Week For Developing Therapies

Post by That Guy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm
The only treatment (currently available) that needs a lot of research and discussion is hair transplants - and That Guy actively steers people away from pursuing that avenue. For now. I think his tune will change when his hair loss progresses.
The fuck I do lol

You've resorted to just blatant lies now? Pathetic.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Hanginginthewire » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm

You’ve made it clear that transplants for advanced Norwoods look terrible. Not worth it. Pointless. I don’t mean you specially advise individual people but clearly in your alleged role as ~mentor~ and article writer you have put it out there that transplants are not a good solution.

You deny this?

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 am

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm
You’ve made it clear that transplants for advanced Norwoods look terrible. Not worth it. Pointless. I don’t mean you specially advise individual people but clearly in your alleged role as ~mentor~ and article writer you have put it out there that transplants are not a good solution.

You deny this?
In a recent thread on HairLossTalk, I stated that unless you have a good amount of donor hair and can get multiple transplants, like what Admin has done, then a transplant isn't really worth it if you're a high NW. NW4 or 5 is really not a worthwhile improvement from 7. I have also followed that statement with "in my opinion".

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 am

Hanginginthewire wrote:
The only treatment (currently available) that needs a lot of research and discussion is hair transplants
You're free to post more on the subject of hair transplants.
Hanginginthewire wrote:
New treatments probably drive website traffic and that’s good for Admin’s project here and that’s good - but ultimately it’s just false hope and wheel spinning at this point.
That is unfounded.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am

I agree with @Rudiger and @Afro_Vacancy on this issue. I really appreciate the regular updates and insights which @That Guy provides on future technologies. I find it a lot more convenient than going to different websites and look for that information. He was being criticized for being wrong about certain predictions. It happens all the time in science. Some computer scientists in 1960's were claiming that computers with human level intelligence are only 20 years away. It's been over 50 years and we are not even close to achieving that. I suggest that we lay off the criticism and appreciate the information that he provides.

shadylane
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Updates and information on future treatments in the pipeline is pretty much one of the most important topics on a forum like this and I am glad someone is willing to make the effort to provide us with this.

I don't know why people visit these forums only to dismiss every possible solution and shoot them down with negativity.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 am

It must be some kind of learned helplessness. There’s information all over the place. Hairlosscure2020 has it in very chronological, bite size blog posts. Why you are lost unless some dude with zero scientific background who has never had a hair transplant spoon feeds it to you is anyone’s guess. Admin, for instance, has unique, irreplaceable (or darn near close) insights into hair loss and hair transplants. That Guy - not so much.

But okay, apparently he was correct and users really need/value his cut and paste jobs. I guess cult of obnoxious personality is really a thing. Mea culpa. Long live Canadian WASPs.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 am

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 am
It must be some kind of learned helplessness. There’s information all over the place. Hairlosscure2020 has it in very chronological, bite size blog posts. Why you are lost unless some dude with zero scientific background who has never had a hair transplant spoon feeds it to you is anyone’s guess. Admin, for instance, has unique, irreplaceable (or darn near close) insights into hair loss and hair transplants. That Guy - not so much.

But okay, apparently he was correct and users really need/value his cut and paste jobs. I guess cult of obnoxious personality is really a thing. Mea culpa. Long live Canadian WASPs.
You come off as really bitter and irrational. Honestly, you need to reflect on your own writing on this issue, and try and figure out what's going on.

For example, you write that "there's information all over the place, bite sized blog posts," but if it's so easy to figure things out, why is it that you yourself have absolutely no knowledge of these issues?

nameless
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 am

Has anyone read anything about NGF-574H? I've gotten a handful of emails about it from "Follicle Thought" and they seem VERY excited about it but I haven't found any before and after pics. It's supposed to be available in 2019 and it is a Korean invention. Is it worthy of excitement or no?

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 am
You come off as really bitter and irrational. Honestly, you need to reflect on your own writing on this issue, and try and figure out what's going on.

For example, you write that "there's information all over the place, bite sized blog posts," but if it's so easy to figure things out, why is it that you yourself have absolutely no knowledge of these issues?
Oh, he knows about these things: It's just that he believes it's all futile and not going to work, so therefore discussion should be a waste of time for someone in his position. But ever since I called him out for this behavior, he's been on some mission to..."discredit" me, I guess? He shows up to almost every thread in New Research to shit on it.

We are clearly dealing with someone suffering from a serious mental health problem.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

That Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 am
Oh, he knows about these things: It's just that he believes it's all futile and not going to work, so therefore discussion should be a waste of time for someone in his position. But ever since I called him out for this behavior, he's been on some mission to..."discredit" me, I guess? He shows up to almost every thread in New Research to shit on it.

We are clearly dealing with someone suffering from a serious mental health problem.
It looks like a combination of envy, and indulgent cynicism.

The envy, I don't relate to at all, and there are good odds that I don't understand it. What you're doing is putting in the effort to keep up, and then sharing it in a useful manner where you distill what you consider the most important points. If he feels envy then he should try and do a better job. It's really confusing.

The indulgent cynicism is something that we see a lot of, in this community and in others dealing with completely unrelated subjects. It's a general and common feature of our culture. People want to believe that everything is hopeless. It liberates them of the responsibility to make the effort [on anything], and justifies their laziness as a rational choice, so it has a synergy with narcissism as well. However, the truth is that most of them are not impoverished stage-4 cancer patients.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Hanginginthewire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm

I don’t post in even 10 percent of the New Research threads, if that. On the front page of New Research I can see I’ve posted in maybe 2 of the first 20 threads. I am very cynical, yes. And of course I’ve at times been pretty depressed about my hair loss. I suppose depression is a “mental illness,” but when you accuse me of that I know you are insinuating more than garden variety depression. That’s how our “conflict” started - you being a total dick and attacking someone who was struggling. Because, you’re a sanctimonious asshole with delusions of grandeur. If someone expressed skepticism about one of the treatments you cheerlead for - you came in guns blazing and hurling insults. Ask yourself why you have had beef with so many on the forums? You’re the only person who I’ve had an issue with, meanwhile you have had conflict with a dozen different people. Why is that? Think real hard about that and set aside your intellectually retarded conspiracy theories about the nature of homosexuality or your armchair psychoanalysis. Take a real good look in the mirror.

I love that everyone ignored nameless’s question.

shadylane
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Minoxdil, Zinc Thymulin, Keto Cream, Derminator

Post by shadylane » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:03 pm

nameless wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:07 am
Has anyone read anything about NGF-574H? I've gotten a handful of emails about it from "Follicle Thought" and they seem VERY excited about it but I haven't found any before and after pics. It's supposed to be available in 2019 and it is a Korean invention. Is it worthy of excitement or no?
I read a little about that earlier, some sort of stem cell-derived serum.
upload_2018-11-8_16-43-16.png
upload_2018-11-8_16-43-16.png (444.18 KiB) Viewed 123 times

That Guy
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by That Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm
You’re the only person who I’ve had an issue with, meanwhile you have had conflict with a dozen different people.
I may be the only person you have an issue with, but I'm far and away from the only one on the forums who is tired of your shit. How many others on the forums do not call out your behavior?

I'd say that the majority of people in New Research that I've hurled insults at, I do so because they do exactly what you do: Loads of unfounded cynicism and a holier-than-thou attitude because they feel they're not going to be duped by all these obvious technological failures.

It's just pseudo-intellectual narcissism. Remember how, with the whole Tsuji thing, when they stated that they solved the cell cultivation problem, you and some others came in with all these conspiracies that they were lying, it's all bullshit etc.? It was also explained that most of their tests have used human cells and that unless you have some hard scientific evidence that shows why human cells will successfully grow human hair in animal models but won't work when applied to the same human the cells were taken from, then you should just shut the fuck up? You didn't. You kept being a belligerent douche.

Well, we're about 4 months away now from the start of their human trials. So it looks like the doctors and the scientists do in fact probably know what they're talking about. You coming into threads with your belligerent cynicism and demeaning attitude towards those who don't share your unsupported skepticism doesn't make you look intelligent — it makes you look like a basketcase.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Hanginginthewire wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm
I don’t post in even 10 percent of the New Research threads, if that. On the front page of New Research I can see I’ve posted in maybe 2 of the first 20 threads. I am very cynical, yes. And of course I’ve at times been pretty depressed about my hair loss. I suppose depression is a “mental illness,” but when you accuse me of that I know you are insinuating more than garden variety depression. That’s how our “conflict” started - you being a total dick and attacking someone who was struggling. Because, you’re a sanctimonious asshole with delusions of grandeur. If someone expressed skepticism about one of the treatments you cheerlead for - you came in guns blazing and hurling insults. Ask yourself why you have had beef with so many on the forums? You’re the only person who I’ve had an issue with, meanwhile you have had conflict with a dozen different people. Why is that? Think real hard about that and set aside your intellectually retarded conspiracy theories about the nature of homosexuality or your armchair psychoanalysis. Take a real good look in the mirror.

I love that everyone ignored nameless’s question.
I'm going to answer this in point form, because I'm tired.

1) I didn't answer nameless' question because I don't know the answer.

2) I actually have had many disagreements with @That Guy . I'd like to think that I'm objective to everything that he writes, but it's plausible that I'm not. Given that, the fact that I'm taking his side on this is something that you should take as an indication to reconsider. There is value to stimulating discussion and posting news on current developments. He's not forcing his views down anybody's throat, and he's not trying to collect a 10% commission off topical spironolactone cream.

3) It's true that if we regularly checked ten different hair loss sites and read them all we would be up to date on everything as well. However, most of us don't want to do that. I don't. I honestly feel that I've already spent too much time on these issues. There's also competition for my time. I have a job, hobbies, errands to run, and when I do browse the net I don't only research hair loss, but also culture, politics, etc. I thus appreciate the effort of others to distill information. I think that most people do.

4) Like That Guy, I've also had a beef with most active forum members. In general, I think that a large fraction of people active in these discussions have mental health issues. I have mental health issues too. I sometimes get too excited by random/irrelevant things, my motivation and drive are inconsistent, I sometimes have a contrarian streak, and I have a hard time making real-life connections with people. I benefit from help and I think that a lot of others would as well.

But if you get into fights with people, it's important to try and move forward. In most cases, people aren't actually terrible.

Edited to add: Circling back to hair loss treatments, many people need help and hope. Finasteride, minoxidil, and hair transplants are a cure -- for some people. They don't work as well for everybody. There are at least two classes of crippling sides to finasteride that cripple a lot of people. Minoxidil is useless to a large number of people. Transplants are expensive, and not effective for advanced cases. It's helpful for people to know that new treatments might be on the way in the near future, treatments that are targeting different angles.