Lots of new Follica info: new patent discovered

Discuss the latest news about cutting edge hair loss research: Tsuji, RepliCel, Follicum, etc.
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Lots of new Follica info: new patent discovered

Post by That Guy » 4 weeks ago

Over on HairLossTalk, a user discovered a new patent regarding their protocol. It contains a lot of good information, I will copy paste dat shit here
•The primary target is to produce 1600 thin needle wounds per cm² every two weeks (their preferred parameter configuration is: using a 12 needle head (2 rows with 6 needles) with a width of 0.9 cm at a movement speed of 2 cm per second and an osicllation speed of 120 Hz)
Needling device: electric dermaneedling device. They specifically state that dermarollers and dermabrasion devices are less effective. About dermarollers they write that tearing and cut-like wounds are ineffective for neogenesis and that one has to aim for real, "pointy" needle wounds without any tearing or cutting.

•Needle target depth: 0.8 mm. For long hair, this can be increased to 1.0 mm, but definitely not more than that. The wound should extend 0.8 mm into the skin but not deeper, 1.0 mm is only to compensate for longer hair.

•Needling frequency: Once every two weeks produces the best results, followed by once a week, followed by once every 4 weeks

•Needling head: 12 needles in an array of 2 x 6 at a width of 0.9 cm for the needle rows. Their specific design is described in Figure 105 of this patent of theirs

•Topical, 1st version: minoxidil 5% is the likely first version of the topical (maybe also finasteride or saw palmetto included, but about this I'm not sure)

•Topical, 2nd version: The second version of the topical is minoxidil plus one or a combination of the following three: finasteride, valproic acid, latanoprost

•Topical application frequency: Twice daily, preferrably once every 12 hours

•Areas to needle: Not only affected areas should be needled, but also at least 2 cm into non-bald/non-balding areas. Reason for that is probably
quorum sensing.

•Needling device movement over the scalp: Each area should be covered at least once and at most twice, depending on the protocol variant. Depends on frequency and a few other things - won't go into detail here now, the details can be found in the patent. Short version: In the preferred protocol, each treatment area is covered once in horizontal and once in vertical movement direction over the scalp, making for a total of exactly two passes. Passes should be performed without any overlaps and without any gaps. They use the term "like a lawn mower" several times to describe how the scalp should be covered.

•Needling movement speed: 2 cm per second. They state that the translational movement speed is important to achieve the target needle hole density of 1600 per cm².

•Needling head oscillation frequency: 120 Hz

•Needling pressure: Only slight pressure such that the needles go all the way (0.8 mm) in, but not more. "Gliding" should be achieved.
To summarize: This is not a simple, at-home treatment you can replicate with a 7 dollar dermaroller.

Dermarolling is ineffective because not only is the depth and such of needling important, but the motion of the needles, the frequency of the needles, etc.

https://patents.google.com/patent/WO201 ... ica&page=1
Last edited by That Guy 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Lots of new Follica info: new patent discovered

Post by Rudiger » 4 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
4 weeks ago
Over on HairLossTalk, a user discovered a new patent regarding their protocol. It contains a lot of good information, I will copy paste dat shit here

To summarize: This is not a simple, at-home treatment you can replicate with a 7 dollar dermaroller.

Dermarolling is ineffective because not only is the depth and such of needling important, but the motion of the needles, the frequency of the needles, etc.
Great info, can you link the patent?

I was just considering starting my dermarolling again this weekend and thought "am I putting myself through this again for miniscule results that only I'll truly notice?"

But I'd be willing to try if changing it up with an electric dermaroller, that seems to make sense about not tearing the skin at all for a start. The frequency also sounds more appropriate.
me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by That Guy » 3 weeks ago

Rudiger wrote:
4 weeks ago
Great info, can you link the patent?

I was just considering starting my dermarolling again this weekend and thought "am I putting myself through this again for miniscule results that only I'll truly notice?"

But I'd be willing to try if changing it up with an electric dermaroller, that seems to make sense about not tearing the skin at all for a start. The frequency also sounds more appropriate.
Added the patent to the OP

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Added the patent to the OP
Cheers nazi m8

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Rudiger wrote:
3 weeks ago
Cheers nazi m8
Same to you 1488

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 3 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
3 weeks ago
Same to you 1488
Are you watching the Super Bowl, Nazi Jim?
Moore/Trump 2020

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

blackg wrote:
3 weeks ago
Are you watching the Super Bowl, Nazi Jim?
I could not care about sportsball in the least, so no.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Rudiger » 3 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
3 weeks ago
I could not care about sportsball in the least, so no.
But aren't you a fan of Colin Kaepernick? :thinking: :thinking:

Char
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: My tears.

Post by Char » 3 weeks ago

You Americans are all excited for Follica.
I'll probably have to wait 10 more years before it is in Europe. I hope that by then I won't be NW7.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 3 weeks ago

what brand of electric microneedling device do you guys think is the best? Might get one

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Char wrote:
3 weeks ago
You Americans are all excited for Follica.
I'll probably have to wait 10 more years before it is in Europe. I hope that by then I won't be NW7.
I wouldn't be so sure.

Most often, studies regarding medical devices are usually accepted in consideration for approval outside of the US and vice versa. It's drugs that basically every country — where the average IQ hovers around 100 — where they put it through their own trials.

Since this is likely going to be using drugs that are approved in most of North America and Europe already, I doubt you'll have to wait too long.