Bad results from FUT with Dr Brett Bolton, any advice?

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
ScottM
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: FUT

Bad results from FUT with Dr Brett Bolton, any advice?

Post by ScottM » 3 months ago

I’m wondering if anyone has had an experience with a hair transplant provider “Dr Brett Bolton” he operates out of south Florida area. Five years ago I had the FUT procedure. I obviously knew about the surgery and scar but his claim was his scars are nearly impossible to detect. I now realize that was one of many distortions.

The scar I was left with after following directions was not only dark in color and wide as my finger in places but also has a noticeable offset in contour. So after Follow up FUE to conceal micros scalp pigmentation to camouflage it it’s still super obvious. I also now know that the harvested and transplanted hair was spread way too thin to have any chance of looking normal.

His “max harvest” procedure as he called it was simply big promises.. his low technical skill and eagerness to get your $’s resulted in hair coverage that I can not have long or short. if I could go back I’d definitely find a different Dr and opt for the FUE. Anyone out there heard of this guy ?

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Bad results from FUT with Dr Brett Bolton, any advice?

Post by JLBB » 3 months ago

ScottM wrote:
3 months ago
I’m wondering if anyone has had an experience with a hair transplant provider “Dr Brett Bolton” he operates out of south Florida area. Five years ago I had the FUT procedure. I obviously knew about the surgery and scar but his claim was his scars are nearly impossible to detect. I now realize that was one of many distortions.

The scar I was left with after following directions was not only dark in color and wide as my finger in places but also has a noticeable offset in contour. So after Follow up FUE to conceal micros scalp pigmentation to camouflage it it’s still super obvious. I also now know that the harvested and transplanted hair was spread way too thin to have any chance of looking normal.

His “max harvest” procedure as he called it was simply big promises.. his low technical skill and eagerness to get your $’s resulted in hair coverage that I can not have long or short. if I could go back I’d definitely find a different Dr and opt for the FUE. Anyone out there heard of this guy ?
The guy is primarily a good marketer. Some of his work was ok in terms of yield, but overall incredibly inconsistent, particularly in terms of his FUT scars.

Your experience doesn't necessarily suggest you should have gone with FUE either. Rather simply an ethical surgeon that is competent on a consistent basic unlike Bolton. Very few people going to Hasson and Wong, Konior, or Bloxham for example have noticeably bad FUT scars. The reality is that a bad FUE surgeon would do just as much if not more damage than your FUT surgery likely did.

Do you have any photos of your situation? If the transplanted hair is spread too thin that isn't necessarily a huge problem, touchups to increase density are common. You may benefit from another FUT to revise the scar if that is possible but you'd need to consult with an ethical doctor. I'd recommend looking at Hasson/Wong in Canada, Konior in Chicago or Dr. Bloxham in New York. Any surgeons using meaningless marketing terms like "max harvest" are worth avoiding.
Last edited by Admin 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post modified after request

ScottM
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: FUT

Re: Bad results from FUT with Dr Brett Bolton, any advice?

Post by ScottM » 3 months ago

Unfortunately the scar isn’t easily photographed with the hair that I have plus I had to has Scalp Micro Pigmentation to camouflage the scar.
Attachments
281D41D7-9A2B-415F-A450-4A339AD39C56.jpeg
281D41D7-9A2B-415F-A450-4A339AD39C56.jpeg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 340 times