Sleeping after hair transplant on the crown

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Sleeping after hair transplant on the crown

Post by Admin » 5 months ago

So I'm sitting here with 1100 grafts on my crown and I have this stupid worry about my recipient area touching the pillow even though I'm using a travel pillow. And I can't seem to find any information about that particular subject on other hair loss forums.

Something like I don't know, should you just sleep on the travel pillow or also put a normal pillow under it?

@JeanLucBB, you're the only one I can think of on this forum that had work done on his crown. Can you tell me what was your experience with sleeping right after your second hair transplant? Thanks :).

justin
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Nothing

Re: Sleeping after hair transplant on the crown

Post by justin » 5 months ago

I had work done on my crown too! But I don't remember what I did after, and I don't wanna mislead you with false information. I'm so useless, sorry. :oops:

I'm sure you can google it and find a great answer though!
Even when I’m lying on my back I’m never backing down.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
So I'm sitting here with 1100 grafts on my crown and I have this stupid worry about my recipient area touching the pillow even though I'm using a travel pillow. And I can't seem to find any information about that particular subject on other hair loss forums.

Something like I don't know, should you just sleep on the travel pillow or also put a normal pillow under it?

JeanLucBB, you're the only one I can think of on this forum that had work done on his crown. Can you tell me what was your experience with sleeping right after your second hair transplant? Thanks :).
What did your surgeon say nothing at all?

Congrats on the crown. 3 hair transplant is a lot of work on your energy. I'm still exhausted by just doing one.

*waiting for pics in 6 months* :clap:

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 5 months ago

Congrats on the 3rd transplant!

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

*passes around "congratulations on your 3rd hair transplant!" card for all to sign*
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

JasonStatham wrote:
5 months ago
What did your surgeon say nothing at all?
No specific instructions, just a travel pillow but I thought you could sink in it too easily so my fiancée allowed me to ruin her pink inflatable travel pillow :|. Uncomfortable as hell but at least I'm sure the recipient area is not rubbing on the pillow.

One advantage of having crown work done is that it's much less painful than transplanting at the front, but that is probably also due to the smaller number of grafts here. It's also nice not to see my forehead swell up like a balloon this time.

Thank you guys for the congratulations card :p.

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 5 months ago

Congrats @Admin! What hairstyle do you think you'll rock now?
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, the first part of the night was horrible, but in the end, I got it to work. So if anyone is looking this up when they get work done on their crown (so common, right?): you need to put use the normal pillow under the travel pillow for it to work, the position is going to feel weird the first couple of hours but you quickly get used to it.
Uncle Grandfather wrote:
5 months ago
Congrats Admin! What hairstyle do you think you'll rock now?
Thank you, Uncle! Well, as I've said before, I'm stuck with that one hair style below. Thank God, it's the hair style I was sporting before I lost my hair. This is how it looked right before they shaved my hair for the crown transplant:

before-third-ht.jpg
before-third-ht.jpg (182.67 KiB) Viewed 940 times

I usually try to side-part my hair more to make sure it doesn't look see-through under bright lights.

I really hope those 1100 grafts are enough to cover that crown properly. @JeanLucBB was right about donor management being crucial by the way, De Reys managed to extract a lot more grafts than expected (the 1000+ grafts were certainly not guaranteed) because he went quite high on my sides. My fiancée would sometimes laugh about my hair being much thicker in that area than on the rest of my head so I guess it's also a good thing that it's going to be evened out now. Fingers crossed.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
5 months ago

JeanLucBB, you're the only one I can think of on this forum that had work done on his crown. Can you tell me what was your experience with sleeping right after your second hair transplant? Thanks :).
Slept upright in a recliner couch for about 5 days. After that a travel pillow with a regular pillow underneath for a few more days. I wouldn't worry too much about it after 3-4 days.

Definitely agree with your point about crown work being less painful. Anaesthetic injections are by far the worst part of the procedure in terms of pain but I barely felt them in the crown.

justin
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Nothing

Post by justin » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
5 months ago
Damn, the first part of the night was horrible, but in the end, I got it to work. So if anyone is looking this up when they get work done on their crown (so common, right?): you need to put use the normal pillow under the travel pillow for it to work, the position is going to feel weird the first couple of hours but you quickly get used to it.

Thank you, Uncle! Well, as I've said before, I'm stuck with that one hair style below. Thank God, it's the hair style I was sporting before I lost my hair. This is how it looked right before they shaved my hair for the crown transplant:

before-third-hair transplant.jpg

I usually try to side-part my hair more to make sure it doesn't look see-through under bright lights.

I really hope those 1100 grafts are enough to cover that crown properly. JeanLucBB was right about donor management being crucial by the way, De Reys managed to extract a lot more grafts than expected (the 1000+ grafts were certainly not guaranteed) because he went quite high on my sides. My fiancée would sometimes laugh about my hair being much thicker in that area than on the rest of my head so I guess it's also a good thing that it's going to be evened out now. Fingers crossed.
I'm in the same boat, and I think it's the right hairstyle to be "stuck" with. :) If I had to choose one hairstyle to rock for the rest of my life, it would be this one. No doubt.
Even when I’m lying on my back I’m never backing down.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

I couldn't sleep on my back at all anyway, I thought people who can sleep on their back can easily sleep on their front?

layabout
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Regimen: dermarolling/minoxidil/microdose finasteride

Post by layabout » 5 months ago

When are you going to get the fourth transplant?

I think you should get SMP Fred and then just keep your hair medium-length.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 5 months ago

Admin wrote:
5 months ago

before-third-hair transplant.jpg

I really hope those 1100 grafts are enough to cover that crown properly. JeanLucBB was right about donor management being crucial by the way, De Reys managed to extract a lot more grafts than expected (the 1000+ grafts were certainly not guaranteed) because he went quite high on my sides. My fiancée would sometimes laugh about my hair being much thicker in that area than on the rest of my head so I guess it's also a good thing that it's going to be evened out now. Fingers crossed.
Woah congrats, Fred! I haven't seen a picture of you (your hair) in years I think, and to think this is where you're currently at compared to where you started (NW 5, I think?) is just mind boggling.
Yes, it's thin and see-through under bright lights, but in normal or flattering lights it looks like you have a decent head of hair. You actually have a hairstyle now :shock: :D
What is your take on concealers? I'm thinking that you could actually benefit from them because you have some hair now. I have talked about this product called Mane thickening spray before and I think it's awesome, much better than Toppik. I used to order mine on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... y&_sacat=0
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

EvilLocks wrote:
5 months ago
Yes, it's thin and see-through under bright lights,
Tfw I'm jealous of his density in that pic :sick:

Do you mean you can see through his hair in that pic or you're going off the info that he's telling us? Because if that pic is regarded as thin see through hair, then I'm a walking disaster.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 5 months ago

Rudiger wrote:
5 months ago
Tfw I'm jealous of his density in that pic :sick:

Do you mean you can see through his hair in that pic or you're going off the info that he's telling us? Because if that pic is regarded as thin see through hair, then I'm a walking disaster.
I'm also jealous of the density lol :lol:
Anyway, I'm mostly going off the info he gave us here. That said, as a trained Norwood spotter (if I may say so myself) I can tell the difference between this and natural full density. Not saying it doesn't look good, cause it looks hella good :) And most importantly, it is a huge improvement from baseline.
I think Admin knows that he will never reach a full density Norwood 1-2 with the extent of his hair loss and the amount of grafts he had. But he is allowed to live a more normal life after his hair transplants, and have a much fuller head of hair than he originally had.
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup: