50% of men regret their hair transplant

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by JLBB » 1 year ago

Hanginginthewire wrote:
1 year ago
Another super informative post, thanks.

With regard to FUT and Bear, do you say that you’d do FUT first mostly just so you can do a huge mega session and avoid as many multiple surgeries? Is FUE perfectly acceptable for advanced Norwoods if that’s what they want? Given may require an extra surgery and more money?

I feel like I want to do FUE (because yes I want the option of buzzing down if I have to), but I’m a diffuse NW 5/6 with some retrograde, especially on the nape. My hair line is fairly bad but midscalp and crown have coverage when dry. Really unsure of what to do, but the less invasive nature and escape hatch (buzzing down) of FUE are appealing.

What are the possibilities of FUE looking freakish or unnatural? By which I mean a scenario where buzzing down/shaving and/or having another surgery would STILL leave someone with an unnatural look...

By the sound of your situation I would probably go FUT, unless you're overestimating the NW and retrograde (and a lot of people do).For me FUT first in a case like Bear's (for my goals, which would have been a full NW1) to do a 5000+ graft session and then giving probably another 5k FUE grafts for touchups in future. It would still take multiple surgeries now matter what.

FUE is definitely viable for advanced norwoods but it depends what their goals are. If you would be satisfied with a result like Bear's from NW5 that would be very achievable with FUE. Also if he wanted he would still have the opportunity to do an FUT at this point so you still have options open by doing FUE initially.

Honestly the only thing I would be worried about if you're considering FUE is if you genuinely have retrograde that is currently progressive. Otherwise its definitely an option.

Probability of it looking unnatural is mainly down to surgeon skill and in terms of donor aesthetics there is less risk with FUE. If you get lucky with the scar it is much, much better on the donor but the issue is that you don't want to be that unlucky 5% that goes to someone like Rahal and gets a disaster scar.

Hanginginthewire
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Propecia

Post by Hanginginthewire » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
By the sound of your situation I would probably go FUT, unless you're overestimating the NW and retrograde (and a lot of people do).For me FUT first in a case like Bear's (for my goals, which would have been a full NW1) to do a 5000+ graft session and then giving probably another 5k FUE grafts for touchups in future. It would still take multiple surgeries now matter what.

FUE is definitely viable for advanced norwoods but it depends what their goals are. If you would be satisfied with a result like Bear's from NW5 that would be very achievable with FUE. Also if he wanted he would still have the opportunity to do an FUT at this point so you still have options open by doing FUE initially.

Honestly the only thing I would be worried about if you're considering FUE is if you genuinely have retrograde that is currently progressive. Otherwise its definitely an option.

Probability of it looking unnatural is mainly down to surgeon skill and in terms of donor aesthetics there is less risk with FUE. If you get lucky with the scar it is much, much better on the donor but the issue is that you don't want to be that unlucky 5% that goes to someone like Rahal and gets a disaster scar.
What I’m mostly afraid of is a result like this:

No disrespect to that guy at all but for the money, stress, and so on a result like that would not be worth it to me. I currently have way more hair than that guy, but if/when all my native diffusing hair goes I don’t want to end up there.

What do you think the “problem” is in that gentleman’s result? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
Last edited by Hanginginthewire 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 year ago

It's kinda hard to tell but is his hair actually thinner than before the hair transplant? Looking briefly at his other videos. The fringe definitely doesn't seem as thick, he went from drastically receded, to drastically receded and drastically diffuse.

And look what that guy ended up doing:

He said he did it because it makes it grow back thicker.

me me me me I'm the omniscient and compassionate Rudiger

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Hanginginthewire wrote:
1 year ago
What I’m mostly afraid of is a result like this:

No disrespect to that guy at all but for the money, stress, and so on a result like that would not be worth it to me. I currently have way more hair than that guy, but if/when all my native diffusing hair goes I don’t want to end up there.

What do you think the “problem” is in that gentleman’s result? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
A lack of density coupled with the fact that his hair quality doesn't seem to be great. This has nothing to do with whether he went FUT or FUE though, and from what I see he has had a total number of less than 3200 grafts across two procedures? That is miniscule, and most people will average maxing out for FUE at around the 6000 graft mark with a surgeon who knows what they're doing. If it's only 3200 grafts across an entirely slick bald scalp it probably is actually a decent result.

I'm still only 3.5 months into my second procedure and no serious results yet apart from a few sprouts, but I've had 4500 graft in the frontal third and wanted more density in the previously transplanted areas after the first 3000. So of course this guy isn't going to look amazing with 3200 grafts on a slick bald NW6.

But overall this is a graft number issue, it has nothing to do with FUE vs FUT and if he'd gone to a decent surgeon they likely could have got double the amount of FUE grafts out of his donor. You can imagine if he doubled the amount of hair he has now it probably would look decent, also the surgeon he went to isn't top level for FUE either so had he gone with an Erdogan, or Lorenzo it would probably be quite a bit better also.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 1 year ago

JeanLucBB wrote:
1 year ago
A lack of density coupled with the fact that his hair quality doesn't seem to be great. This has nothing to do with whether he went FUT or FUE though, and from what I see he has had a total number of less than 3200 grafts across two procedures? That is miniscule, and most people will average maxing out for FUE at around the 6000 graft mark with a surgeon who knows what they're doing. If it's only 3200 grafts across an entirely slick bald scalp it probably is actually a decent result.

I'm still only 3.5 months into my second procedure and no serious results yet apart from a few sprouts, but I've had 4500 graft in the frontal third and wanted more density in the previously transplanted areas after the first 3000. So of course this guy isn't going to look amazing with 3200 grafts on a slick bald NW6.

But overall this is a graft number issue, it has nothing to do with FUE vs FUT and if he'd gone to a decent surgeon they likely could have got double the amount of FUE grafts out of his donor. You can imagine if he doubled the amount of hair he has now it probably would look decent, also the surgeon he went to isn't top level for FUE either so had he gone with an Erdogan, or Lorenzo it would probably be quite a bit better also.
Its all down to the donor area and where you are heading. This guy only takes Minoxidil so his hair is likely to get thinner in the donor area so 3200 grafts may be all that was reasonably available considering his age. Its pretty much where I am at the moment any more then a number 4 and it looks crap. It does beg the question of course with the younger guys now getting transplants how they will look in the next 20 years, but then again better treatments will be available by then!

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Murkey Thumb wrote:
1 year ago
Its all down to the donor area and where you are heading. This guy only takes Minoxidil so his hair is likely to get thinner in the donor area so 3200 grafts may be all that was reasonably available considering his age. Its pretty much where I am at the moment any more then a number 4 and it looks crap. It does beg the question of course with the younger guys now getting transplants how they will look in the next 20 years, but then again better treatments will be available by then!
I'm not so convinced, just in the sense that I have seen a significant number of Lorenzo and Erdogan cases with older men who are able to get well above that number of grafts, upwards of 5000. Obviously the donor will thin with age particularly beyond 55, but I think the main problem with the case above is that the doctor wasn't particularly skilled.