50% of men regret their hair transplant

Discuss hair transplant techniques (FUE and FUT), surgeons, results, etc.
User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1144
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1257
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

Johnson wrote:
1 year ago
That's great to hear that from both of you. It really sets my mind at ease because I was talking to a surgeon for a hair transplant in January but I was on the fence so that's helped me decide to at the very least delay the transplant or maybe even cancel all together.

I think my hair is a little worse than that Jude Law picture, but i'm not 100% sure because of my own bias. The important thing is that the hair loss has more or less stopped since treatment so with a little luck I will keep or maybe even regrow my hair.

Jason: its probably a little neurotic coming to a hairloss forum with a nw3 diffuse, but I think its reasonable. Especially when you continue to lose and this is your place to vent. You may be surprised but theres a ton of people who have nw1 and nw2s on the old forum - some even pm'd me pics - and it wasn't just one or two of them as well.
That really surprises me, because last time I saw pictures your hair wasn't in that
bad of shape. You're really going to get one?

I've been on the fence about getting one myself. I keep waiting for stem cell therapy (Histogen, or Replical)
to come out. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for a long time for that.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 195

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Johnson » 1 year ago

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
That really surprises me, because last time I saw pictures your hair wasn't in that
bad of shape. You're really going to get one?

I've been on the fence about getting one myself. I keep waiting for stem cell therapy (Histogen, or Replical)
to come out. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for a long time for that.
Its probably vanity on my part. Being a nw3 at 32 really isn't so bad but its easy to compare yourself to nw1's and desire to emulate their aesthetic.

What Norwood are you?

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1144
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1257
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

Johnson wrote:
1 year ago
Its probably vanity on my part. Being a nw3 at 32 really isn't so bad but its easy to compare yourself to nw1's and desire to emulate their aesthetic.

What Norwood are you?
Four, but my hair is growing back in my vertex. I
might actually be a three in a few months.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 195

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Johnson » 1 year ago

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
Four, but my hair is growing back in my vertex. I
might actually be a three in a few months.
NW3 is limbo land.

Are you over 30?

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1144
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1257
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

Johnson wrote:
1 year ago
NW3 is limbo land.

Are you over 30?
Yes. I am near fifty.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1733
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3778
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

Hanginginthewire wrote:
1 year ago
Well, I’m researching. I read so many conflicting things: diffusers can’t have transplant, if your pattern is above NW4, you need FUT, only a certified Bozo would get FUT, strip is the gold standard, etc. etc.

Plus when I post pics people say I have a lot of hair and should be grateful, or that my pattern is diffused so I can’t have a transplant that looks good. Anyway, I won’t bore you further. I just wanted to highlight that I can understand waffling on getting a transplant.
There are no contradictions because some claims have more value than others when put into perspective.

Again, FUT can't be recommended anymore. having a giant joker scar at the back of your head is a hurdle you don't want to bother with anymore.

Yield between FUE and FUT is basically the same, maybe something like 94% for FUE and 97% for FUT, it just doesn't justify the huge scar anymore.

And if you go for FUT because you're trying to save money, I can tell you already, do not have a hair transplant, it's not a surgery on which you want to save a few bucks.

Do not listen to catchphrases you head online like "you'll need FUT if you're above NW4", my own case proves that it's just not true, even though I still need one last FUE, 5000 grafts will in fact take care of my NW5-6.

Also, I'd say you need to take the time factor into account. "FUT is the gold standard" is like a marketing slogan from Hasson & Wong made in 2006. Most of the statements above are just not true anymore.

Of course diffusers can have a hair transplant, I was one and already had two.

My last point would be: research hair transplants as much as you can, but don't get to the point where it's counterproductive. If you're serious about this like I was, you'll need to make a choice at a point. Having my hair transplants wasn't just an option for me, I just had to do it, it was a leap of faith and I knew I would not live in the alternate reality where I'd remain a slick NW5-6 from age 22 onward.

If you don't feel the urgency to have a hair transplant yet, you're most likely not bald enough.

User avatar
rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1144
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1257
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by rclark » 1 year ago

I have a shitload of scalp pictures, since 2015. I was once a Norwood 5 (2013). Since I added Finasteride and Progesterone, I gain some every year. Of course there are parts where my scalp has been dead for decades, which will not come back. But dermarolling is helping me this year, so I think I will see more gains.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 195

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Johnson » 1 year ago

rclark wrote:
1 year ago
I have a shitload of scalp pictures, since 2015. I was once a Norwood 5 (2013). Since I added Finasteride and Progesterone, I gain some every year. Of course there are parts where my scalp has been dead for decades, which will not come back. But dermarolling is helping me this year, so I think I will see more gains.
You're so lucky to respond to meds so well when you are over 40 years old.

Are most of your childhood friends also balding now?

It sounds weird, but i always found it comforting when you see people of a similar age showing signs of hair loss.

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 912
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1462
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Arjen » 1 year ago

Johnson wrote:
1 year ago
Its probably vanity on my part. Being a nw3 at 32 really isn't so bad but its easy to compare yourself to nw1's and desire to emulate their aesthetic.

What Norwood are you?
To be honest, if I were your age and NW, I'd definitely go for a hair transplant, as the receding is advanced, but still at a stage where a good end result is realistic.

My situation is more comparable to admin's and I agree with other comments here, seemingly good results like his make me re-evaluate the option yet again - I'd already made an appointment 3 years ago and cancelled it after googling yet again results by guys with a NW 5 or 6.
In my opinion, you are the perfect candidate.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1733
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3778
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

Arjen wrote:
1 year ago
To be honest, if I were your age and NW, I'd definitely go for a hair transplant, as the receding is advanced, but still at a stage where a good end result is realistic.

My situation is more comparable to admin's and I agree with other comments here, seemingly good results like his make me re-evaluate the option yet again - I'd already made an appointment 3 years ago and cancelled it after googling yet again results by guys with a NW 5 or 6.
In my opinion, you are the perfect candidate.
You can always find reasons to delay or avoid having a hair transplant: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... -it.71751/

But now that I'm on the other side of the fence, you know what I think about it: it's infinitely worth it. For what it's worth, I don't think you, Johnson or hanginginthewire will ever go for it. Same for sunchyme who is not with us.

This is something I've observed over the years. Sunchyme would especially get crazy over this, harassing members and exploding when he got push-back about his view on hair transplants. Something like "they all look like shit, especially yours, etc."

I believe it had something to do with splitting (black or white thinking) and yes, narcissism. This is evidenced by the fact that his opinions would change on a dime, according to his mood, what he wanted to believe that day, and how nothing would ever be worth it unless he could be sure that it would be perfect and risk-free.

Sorry buddy, that won't happen for any choice that you make in your life. There is always a price to pay, there are always downsides to any solution, and you don't always get to pick the road to paradise.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 195

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Johnson » 1 year ago

Arjen wrote:
1 year ago
To be honest, if I were your age and NW, I'd definitely go for a hair transplant, as the receding is advanced, but still at a stage where a good end result is realistic.

My situation is more comparable to admin's and I agree with other comments here, seemingly good results like his make me re-evaluate the option yet again - I'd already made an appointment 3 years ago and cancelled it after googling yet again results by guys with a NW 5 or 6.
In my opinion, you are the perfect candidate.
Another factor is whether you are married or single at that age.

Being a full head, slim, and with just an average job must make you elite as a man near 50.

Even in our thirties a lot men are now overweight to fat - over 60 percent in the uk if i remember the statistic correct - so just by being slim you look top 40 percent at the very least.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1733
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 3778
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling
Location: Belgium
Age: 29
Contact:

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

Johnson wrote:
1 year ago
Another factor is whether you are married or single at that age.
I don't think it's a factor, you need to look your best whether you're single or married.

If anything, it's a about being respectful to your partner. She deserves your best self and vice-versa.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 195

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Johnson » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think it's a factor, you need to look your best whether you're single or married.

If anything, it's a about being respectful to your partner. She deserves your best self and vice-versa.
You must admit we all try harder when we are newly single because we know we're now competing.

I remember dropping 15lbs within 3 months of being single for the first time in my late 20s.

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 912
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1462
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Arjen » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
You can always find reasons to delay or avoid having a hair transplant: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... -it.71751/

But now that I'm on the other side of the fence, you know what I think about it: it's infinitely worth it. For what it's worth, I don't think you, Johnson or hanginginthewire will ever go for it. Same for sunchyme who is not with us.

This is something I've observed over the years. Sunchyme would especially get crazy over this, harassing members and exploding when he got push-back about his view on hair transplants. Something like "they all look like shit, especially yours, etc."

I believe it had something to do with splitting (black or white thinking) and yes, narcissism. This is evidenced by the fact that his opinions would change on a dime, according to his mood, what he wanted to believe that day, and how nothing would ever be worth it unless he could be sure that it would be perfect and risk-free.

Sorry buddy, that won't happen for any choice that you make in your life. There is always a price to pay, there are always downsides to any solution, and you don't always get to pick the road to paradise.
Can't deny you have a point there. I like your determination, but in this case it was probably also easier for you to develop it. I do have insecurities about my looks, but I've never regarded my lack of hair as such a dominant force as it was for you. I would love to have a nice head of hair, yes, sure, but I'd honestly mainly to it for third parties, i.e. women - still good enough a reason, but just not a factor where I'm just like "no brainer, have to do it asap".
Let's take Rooney as an example. He's done everything and invested like 50k EUR.
Does it make him better looking? Yes. But in my opinion only slightly. Maybe to others the impact is significant, fine, I'd take that, but still, the incentive is not as big if you don't see it yourself.
Another example encouraging me by the way: https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.m ... YhjB8E2K24

I think my months on HairLossTalk and here have had an influence on me, but regarding my hair my assessment has remained rather stable. The only thing I've noticed has changed is my inner reaction to sentences like: "You look fine without hair"; "Hair doesn't matter" - I might go for a hair transplant just out of spite :P
Last edited by Arjen 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 912
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1462
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: 50% of men regret their hair transplant

Post by Arjen » 1 year ago

What I've considered is having a state of the art wig (shouldn't cost me more than 1k) made and wear it for 2 weeks of holidays, just to see if I get a significant increase in indicators of interest. That would probably convince me to do it and also give me reassurance about the rest of my looks.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests