Hair loss and metabolic issues

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
actuallynotfromparis
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: nothing at the moment.

Re: Hair loss and metabolic issues

Post by actuallynotfromparis » 7 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
8 months ago
I honestly don't believe there is a correlation between diet and hair loss whatsoever, at least if we're talking about female/male pattern baldness or alopecia. If that were the case, why are there plenty of super healthy people with "perfect" diets that went bald? And, why are there plenty of fast food-abusing fat slobs with perfect heads of hair?
No, genetic hair loss is called GENETIC hair loss for a reason. It's an inherited sensitivity to hormones already present in the body. It has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle.
That said, I believe there could be a link between temporary shedding and diet or lifestyle, or hair loss due to deficiencies and such. The difference between these temporary forms of hair loss and genetic pattern baldness is, of course, that the temporary hair loss will resolve once the trigger is identified and treated accordingly.
Trust me, eating all the protein in the world will not bring our hair back if the culprit is genetic. A healthy and wholesome diet is good for our body of course, but it won't save our hair!
I absolutely believe there is a big genetic part, but that environment plays a role too in the expression of the genes. I think that you can have baldness genes but that the state of your hormones can influence the age at which you lose your hair greatly.

Taking me and my family as an example: my dad is bald and suffers from prostate cancer, my 22 years old brother is balding, I am also balding and suffering from PCOS. My bro and I obviously inherited the baldness gene from our dad, but the conditions that my dad and myself have have everything to do with hormones (so does androgenetic alopecia), which can be modified to a large extent with diet.

When it comes to men:

- Insulin resistance decreases sex hormone binding globulin
- low SHBG causes benign prostate hyperplasia
- Higher testosterone and DHT turn into estrogen by the action of aromatase (hello, man boobs!)
- Higher testosterone and DHT are also as everyone knows linked to androgenetic alopecia.

When it comes to women with PCOS Insulin resistance causes the ovaries to make much more testosterone than necessary which causes all the nice stuff like hair loss, hormonal acne and an extra amount of body hair.

The question is: what the fuck would happen to people with such genetic predispositions if they did not have insulin resistance in the first place?

And the thing that can reverse (reverse!) insulin resistance is : diet.

Hope that explains a bit more why I started focusing on this..I don't know if everybody who loses hair is insulin resistant and to what extent, I don't know if changing my dad's diet and mine will change anything to our hair, but I really believe that it can help us deal with the diseases. I think I have changed my view of androgenetic alopecia, more as a "way to lose hair" (miniaturization) rather than a purely genetic disease. I don't know if I'm clear but anyway I think stuff is complex and multifactorial and that there's no one cure fit all (except hair cloning I guess?) but that looking into co-morbidities can open new paths to understand hair loss.
Actually, it's only existentialism if it comes from the existentialism region in France. Otherwise, it's just sparkling anxiety.