Sunscreen recommendations

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: Sunscreen recommendations

Post by White Ferrari » 2 months ago

Haha, I come to this site specifically thinking someone here must be writing about sunscreen. Lo and behold I get a whole thread dedicated to the topic.

I've dedicated myself to the daily SPF life for a while now, but not entirely happy with the ones I have (Altruist and the Biore Aqua watery gel one)

@EvilLocks where do you purchase the SPF from Missha that you mentioned?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 2 months ago

White Ferrari wrote:
2 months ago
Haha, I come to this site specifically thinking someone here must be writing about sunscreen. Lo and behold I get a whole thread dedicated to the topic.

I've dedicated myself to the daily SPF life for a while now, but not entirely happy with the ones I have (Altruist and the Biore Aqua watery gel one)

EvilLocks where do you purchase the SPF from Missha that you mentioned?
loco.no , I don't know if they ship abroad. But you can always try on eBay or amazon if you can't find it other places.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

any recommendations for water resistant/sport sunscreen?

After my vacation in the ocean my face is a lot more tan/red even though i used neutrogena spf 110 on my face. Maybe its also because i kept rubbing my face to get seawater off of it.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 2 months ago

koolaidshade wrote:
2 months ago
any recommendations for water resistant/sport sunscreen?

After my vacation in the ocean my face is a lot more tan/red even though i used neutrogena spf 110 on my face. Maybe its also because i kept rubbing my face to get seawater off of it.

Ah I saw this one in the store the other day and was wondering if it was a good daily user. Some of the reviews I looked up on amazon said some sketchy stuff about it including that it irritates some people’s eyes, which makes me reluctant to try it since I had a similar reaction to an aveeno sunscreen

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by koolaidshade » 2 months ago

kj6723 wrote:
2 months ago
Ah I saw this one in the store the other day and was wondering if it was a good daily user. Some of the reviews I looked up on amazon said some sketchy stuff about it including that it irritates some people’s eyes, which makes me reluctant to try it since I had a similar reaction to an aveeno sunscreen
I bought it because it claimed a high spf, water resistance, and was 3 ounces so that i could take it with me on the plane back home and not have to throw it out after my trip. I need to find an asian sunscreen that's made for swimming/surfing. Maybe @EvilLocks can provide input on this

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
2 months ago
I bought it because it claimed a high spf, water resistance, and was 3 ounces so that i could take it with me on the plane back home and not have to throw it out after my trip. I need to find an asian sunscreen that's made for swimming/surfing. Maybe EvilLocks can provide input on this
The waterproof version from Missha is pretty sturdy. I would not recommend it for daily use as it's incredibly hard to take off but I imagine it would be good for outdoor activities and swimming because of that.
I love Missha as a brand and have not tried a bad product of theirs yet.
Attachments
18_MISSHA_All_Around_Safe_Block_Waterproof_Sun_SPF50_PA_ml.JPG
18_MISSHA_All_Around_Safe_Block_Waterproof_Sun_SPF50_PA_ml.JPG (16.44 KiB) Viewed 493 times

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » 2 months ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 months ago
loco.no , I don't know if they ship abroad. But you can always try on eBay or amazon if you can't find it other places.
Are you sure that's the site? They don't seem to have a single Missha product.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

White Ferrari wrote:
2 months ago
Are you sure that's the site? They don't seem to have a single Missha product.
I'm sorry, it was lyko.no, because of the similar names I got them mixed up :roll:
Here is the direct link
https://www.lyko.no/missha/missha-aqua-sun-gelspf50pa
They appear to be sold out now, but they restock frequently so it should be back in stock soon.

I found the product from a top-rated eBay seller here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Missha-All-Aro ... SwKMRa6-Ut

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

Are you still using this as your daily sunscreen evillocks? I'm running low on the biore uv aqua gel and saw no problems with it. 3 tubes that lasted me ~7months for less than $20, cant beat that.

But since my skin is really oily, i wonder if there's something better out there that can mattify my skin.

Also, what do you think about using caffeine cream for dark circles under the eye?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by EvilLocks » 1 month ago

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
Are you still using this as your daily sunscreen evillocks? I'm running low on the biore uv aqua gel and saw no problems with it. 3 tubes that lasted me ~7months for less than $20, cant beat that.

But since my skin is really oily, i wonder if there's something better out there that can mattify my skin.

Also, what do you think about using caffeine cream for dark circles under the eye?
I am using a variety of sunscreens actually, this one + the Bioré one among others. Those two are still my favorites for the face.
I find it alarming that you're able to only go through 3 tubes of the Bioré in 7 months though, are you sure you're using enough sunscreen and reapplying every 2 hours throughout the day?
I would probably go through double that in the same amount of time, if not more...
The Missha sunscreen could be good to mattify the skin, it leaves no shiny finish and dries down really quick. Upon application it applies white and seems patchy but I've tested it with a UV camera and it actually applies very evenly it just seems patchy until it dries down. When it's dry it's pretty much invisible but I have pretty pale skin so I don't know how it would look like one someone with tan or dark skin.
I have not tried caffeine cream so I don't know if that works.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
I am using a variety of sunscreens actually, this one + the Bioré one among others. Those two are still my favorites for the face.
I find it alarming that you're able to only go through 3 tubes of the Bioré in 7 months though, are you sure you're using enough sunscreen and reapplying every 2 hours throughout the day?
I would probably go through double that in the same amount of time, if not more...
The Missha sunscreen could be good to mattify the skin, it leaves no shiny finish and dries down really quick. Upon application it applies white and seems patchy but I've tested it with a UV camera and it actually applies very evenly it just seems patchy until it dries down. When it's dry it's pretty much invisible but I have pretty pale skin so I don't know how it would look like one someone with tan or dark skin.
I have not tried caffeine cream so I don't know if that works.
oh damn, i've been using around 1/3-1/2 tsp sunscreen for only my face, and i dont usually reapply it every 2 hours throughout the day, that seems excessive. i do however reapply sunscreen if i've been sweating a lot, or if i know i'm gonna be running/skating outside. i spend most of my time indoors though

i think i should apply maybe a little more sunscreen on my face, and perhaps on my neck and ears as well. also i'll probably reapply at the end of my shift at work so when i get out of the office i'll be protected again

how many tsp do you use for your face and neck? and do you really reapply every 2 hours?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
oh damn, i've been using around 1/3-1/2 tsp sunscreen for only my face, and i dont usually reapply it every 2 hours throughout the day, that seems excessive. i do however reapply sunscreen if i've been sweating a lot, or if i know i'm gonna be running/skating outside. i spend most of my time indoors though

i think i should apply maybe a little more sunscreen on my face, and perhaps on my neck and ears as well. also i'll probably reapply at the end of my shift at work so when i get out of the office i'll be protected again

how many tsp do you use for your face and neck? and do you really reapply every 2 hours?
I've heard about 1/2 teaspoon for your face and neck is enough, you should also do your hands and your ears so maybe a teaspoon in total?
If you are spending a lot of time indoors I wouldn't really bother reapplying every 2 hours, unless there is direct sunlight shining through the window or a bright surface reflecting sunlight into your house. I would recommend reapplying every 2 hours no matter the activity if you do leave the house though. What I usually do is bring a bottle of SPF with me at all times when I leave my house and reapply every 2 hours until I'm home, then I take of my SPF immediately and let my skin breathe. I have tints on my windows too that block UV rays so there is no need for me to apply SPF in my home anyway.
Sounds like you're doing it about right but it doesn't make sense to me that you go through bottles half as fast, but it probably has something to do with neglecting your hands, ears and neck :thinking:

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Post by CaptainForehead » 1 month ago

EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
I've heard about 1/2 teaspoon for your face and neck is enough, you should also do your hands and your ears so maybe a teaspoon in total?
If you are spending a lot of time indoors I wouldn't really bother reapplying every 2 hours, unless there is direct sunlight shining through the window or a bright surface reflecting sunlight into your house. I would recommend reapplying every 2 hours no matter the activity if you do leave the house though. What I usually do is bring a bottle of SPF with me at all times when I leave my house and reapply every 2 hours until I'm home, then I take of my SPF immediately and let my skin breathe. I have tints on my windows too that block UV rays so there is no need for me to apply SPF in my home anyway.
Sounds like you're doing it about right but it doesn't make sense to me that you go through bottles half as fast, but it probably has something to do with neglecting your hands, ears and neck :thinking:
How did you get the uv blocking window tints?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

CaptainForehead wrote:
1 month ago
How did you get the uv blocking window tints?
I contacted a company that specializes in UV window tints and had them install it for me :lol: I only did in the rooms where we spend the most time though, like the kitchen and living room. If I should do the whole house it would be expensive ;)

Xexos
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Post by Xexos » 1 month ago

koolaidshade wrote:
3 months ago
Is that you ?