How to deal with dry hair caused by shampoo ?

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

How to deal with dry hair caused by shampoo ?

Post by Xexos » 3 months ago

So i use Tea Tree Shampoo that was prescribed to me by my dermatologist for excessive dandruff.

So far it has been doing great job keep my hair clean and healthy, but the problem is that it also really dries out my hair. I wanna grow my hair long to be honest, so it being dry wouldn't be good for this at all. I need to find a solution for this.

What i should do to prevent the shampoo from drying out my hair ? Conditioner or oils or what ?

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: How to deal with dry hair caused by shampoo ?

Post by Rudiger » 3 months ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 months ago
So i use Tea Tree Shampoo that was prescribed to me by my dermatologist for excessive dandruff.

So far it has been doing great job keep my hair clean and healthy, but the problem is that it also really dries out my hair. I wanna grow my hair long to be honest, so it being dry wouldn't be good for this at all. I need to find a solution for this.

What i should do to prevent the shampoo from drying out my hair ? Conditioner or oils or what ?

Do you shampoo your hair daily?

I felt for years like minoxidil/nizoral made my hair super dry (and Nizoral was only 2-3 times a week as expected, but it was even dryer after Nizoral) and I had to keep it short a lot, because otherwise it was really tough and as a diffuse guy, who has some comb over tricks, I need my hair to be able to move. It's like at times the way it "set" after drying, that's what it was going to stay set as. This was particularly annoying on the temples, I'd have this big waft of hair just clumping up but not swept back. Felt really exposing.

I have to say as well, even if I went like 30 hours without shampooing again, it would get greasy really quickly. It just wasn't adding up.

Anyway I've written about this a lot on here, I don't recommend shampooing daily, hot water yes, shampooing is not necessary daily. I ween'd myself off of it, I now just use Nizoral maybe even just twice a week, and condition on those days (but at this point that doesn't even seem necessary). Initially as I say, it would get greasy, I'd hold off for a day, still wash with water. What helped as well, if my hair looked greasy mid-way through a day I would literally just run it under warm water for 30 seconds, dry, and it's fluffy again.

You could start by skipping a day, still wash with water, see how your dryness and dandruff is the next day.

But if that's not an option you'd like, conditioner to me is pretty essential with shampooing, I have just always conditioned when shampooing.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 3 months ago

budget conditioner:

for college graduates or higher:

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
3 months ago
Do you shampoo your hair daily?

I felt for years like minoxidil/nizoral made my hair super dry (and Nizoral was only 2-3 times a week as expected, but it was even dryer after Nizoral) and I had to keep it short a lot, because otherwise it was really tough and as a diffuse guy, who has some comb over tricks, I need my hair to be able to move. It's like at times the way it "set" after drying, that's what it was going to stay set as. This was particularly annoying on the temples, I'd have this big waft of hair just clumping up but not swept back. Felt really exposing.

I have to say as well, even if I went like 30 hours without shampooing again, it would get greasy really quickly. It just wasn't adding up.

Anyway I've written about this a lot on here, I don't recommend shampooing daily, hot water yes, shampooing is not necessary daily. I ween'd myself off of it, I now just use Nizoral maybe even just twice a week, and condition on those days (but at this point that doesn't even seem necessary). Initially as I say, it would get greasy, I'd hold off for a day, still wash with water. What helped as well, if my hair looked greasy mid-way through a day I would literally just run it under warm water for 30 seconds, dry, and it's fluffy again.

You could start by skipping a day, still wash with water, see how your dryness and dandruff is the next day.

But if that's not an option you'd like, conditioner to me is pretty essential with shampooing, I have just always conditioned when shampooing.
I shampoo my hair maybe 2-3 times a week. Problem is, when i shampoo my hair it stays dry for a day or two, so my hair is dry most days of the week.

I'll try conditioners though, it seems like the only logical solution at the moment.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Stan22 wrote:
3 months ago
I shampoo my hair maybe 2-3 times a week. Problem is, when i shampoo my hair it stays dry for a day or two, so my hair is dry most days of the week.

I'll try conditioners though, it seems like the only logical solution at the moment.
Ah right (did this come up in the chat recently? sounds familiar)

Yes in that case then condition each time. I was also using argan oil for a short time, and despite what people say you can get 100% pure for cheap, and well even if it's not 100% it's still oil. Only thing is that it's good to let it soak in for a few hours, there's kinda no point putting it in 10mins before you wash it out or something, so basically you either don't care about having a dripping oily head in front of others, or have an empty house.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 3 months ago

Just get a shampoo with zinc in it to fight dandruff.

There's really not much that can be done for dry hair, other than not wash as frequently (twice a week).

I have dry hair, and I get "flakes" not from dandruff, but from using a high concentrated
topical medication on my hair.

I'm also going to grow my hair long again.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 3 months ago

Stan22 wrote:
3 months ago

You should stay as far away from oils as possible if you have thin or thinning hair. Especially if you have short hair and the oil will get all the way to your scalp, terrible. You could try a conditioner or a deep treatment hair mask every now and then. I heard Olaplex has some great products for damaged hair.
En får væra som en er når'n itte vart som en sku :thumbup:

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
You should stay as far away from oils as possible if you have thin or thinning hair. Especially if you have short hair and the oil will get all the way to your scalp, terrible.
Really? Why :thinking:

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Rudiger wrote:
3 months ago
Really? Why :thinking:
At least for me, it made my already thin hair so soft and shiny that there was no body to it at all, it would fall completely flat and have no texture at all. In addition to this it can make your hair look greasy if you don't shampoo it out extremely carefully.
I'm sure oils are great for those who have full heads of thick hair, but if you have really thin hair like me they make everything look x10 thinner.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 3 months ago

zinc shampoos should probably be avoided since they can chelate with the minoxidil.

If you guys are worried about dry hair, just "CO-wash". use only conditioner to wash your hair.

Me on the other hand, i just have a problem with dry scalp due to the minoxidil

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
At least for me, it made my already thin hair so soft and shiny that there was no body to it at all, it would fall completely flat and have no texture at all. In addition to this it can make your hair look greasy if you don't shampoo it out extremely carefully.
I'm sure oils are great for those who have full heads of thick hair, but if you have really thin hair like me they make everything look x10 thinner.
Thanks for the helpful advice as i was trying to use oils now to help me growing out my hair.

I wanna grow out my hair to be shoulder length or something as that would help greatly to hide my thinning as it's only concentrated on my front, so long hair would do great job hiding that. But now i won't use any oils until my hair is at least 7 inches long.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
I see what you're saying but I thought you meant it would actually do some follicle damage. I certainly was not a dense full head, I never worried about carefully washing it out either (just a normal 2min shampoo and conditioner).

But yeah anyway, main point is that if it's just a reaction to oil that gives such an aesthetic risk then you'll know first time Stan, and whether not to do it again. But for me it made it less tough and fluffier.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Stan22 wrote:
3 months ago
Thanks for the helpful advice as i was trying to use oils now to help me growing out my hair.

I wanna grow out my hair to be shoulder length or something as that would help greatly to hide my thinning as it's only concentrated on my front, so long hair would do great job hiding that. But now i won't use any oils until my hair is at least 7 inches long.
You could try popping some biotin pills or something, they won't make your hair thicker but it'll make it grow longer faster and may potentially also reduce shedding. Another thing that helped me was collagen supplements, I originally started taking them for my skin (there's no solid proof it works, but it's safe to take so I'm just hoping for the best), but I noticed less hair fall and also stronger nails.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
Rudiger wrote:
3 months ago
I see what you're saying but I thought you meant it would actually do some follicle damage. I certainly was not a dense full head, I never worried about carefully washing it out either (just a normal 2min shampoo and conditioner).

But yeah anyway, main point is that if it's just a reaction to oil that gives such an aesthetic risk then you'll know first time Stan, and whether not to do it again. But for me it made it less tough and fluffier.
I would think it could cause some damage to the hair follicles, by clogging them if you don't carefully shampoo out all that buildup. Things like oils, dry shampoos etc. will accumulate in your hair over time, especially if you don't wash your hair frequently. I'm no expert here but it sounds plausible that it could build up leading your follicles to become clogged. Maybe it could also inflame your scalp and cause dandruff if you're not careful.
I have friends who use oils in their hair to soften it and add shine and it works, but they don't have thinning hair, so... I would think oils work better on longer hair, because you can more easily dispense the oils on the lengths of the hair itself without getting it onto your scalp.
But I guess if you wanna use oils for hair growth then you have to get it on the scalp? I don't know :D

Xexos
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

EvilLocks wrote:
3 months ago
You could try popping some biotin pills or something, they won't make your hair thicker but it'll make it grow longer faster and may potentially also reduce shedding. Another thing that helped me was collagen supplements, I originally started taking them for my skin (there's no solid proof it works, but it's safe to take so I'm just hoping for the best), but I noticed less hair fall and also stronger nails.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:

I would think it could cause some damage to the hair follicles, by clogging them if you don't carefully shampoo out all that buildup. Things like oils, dry shampoos etc. will accumulate in your hair over time, especially if you don't wash your hair frequently. I'm no expert here but it sounds plausible that it could build up leading your follicles to become clogged. Maybe it could also inflame your scalp and cause dandruff if you're not careful.
I have friends who use oils in their hair to soften it and add shine and it works, but they don't have thinning hair, so... I would think oils work better on longer hair, because you can more easily dispense the oils on the lengths of the hair itself without getting it onto your scalp.
But I guess if you wanna use oils for hair growth then you have to get it on the scalp? I don't know :D
Yeah, good that you mentioned that because i was thinking about getting biotin 10000. How much growth would i get monthly if i take biotin 10000 everyday ?

My hair is about 2 inches long now and i wish i could get it to 8 inches after i finish this semester (which will finish in 3.5 months), would biotin help my hair grow that much in such a short period ?

The oils i'm considering are 4 (Rosemary, Argan, Coconut, Lavander), all of them will help greatly with the problems of my hair and they will also help with balding too according to some studies, but not very much help, and this along with tea tree shampoo and tea tree conditioner would make my hair really healthy and good looking.

Thing is, it's the first time of my life to use oils because it's also the first time for me to grow out my hair to shoulder length, so maybe you could give me some tips ?

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Stan22 wrote:
3 months ago
Yeah, good that you mentioned that because i was thinking about getting biotin 10000. How much growth would i get monthly if i take biotin 10000 everyday ?

My hair is about 2 inches long now and i wish i could get it to 8 inches after i finish this semester (which will finish in 3.5 months), would biotin help my hair grow that much in such a short period ?

The oils i'm considering are 4 (Rosemary, Argan, Coconut, Lavander), all of them will help greatly with the problems of my hair and they will also help with balding too according to some studies, but not very much help, and this along with tea tree shampoo and tea tree conditioner would make my hair really healthy and good looking.

Thing is, it's the first time of my life to use oils because it's also the first time for me to grow out my hair to shoulder length, so maybe you could give me some tips ?
to be honest I have no idea how much growth you can expect and how fast. I have never tired a pure biotin supplement but I used a supplement called Haircare for a while which had biotin in it, and while it did not make me have more hair I noticed it was growing a bit faster in length.
A tea tree shampoo sounds like a good idea. If you are going to use oils you definitely need a good shampoo that's gonna remove all the buildup from the oils.
Well, you should get trims to avoid split ends but not too often. You should ask your hairdresser how often they think you should get a trim. And get yourself a hairbrush with natural bristles, those are much more gentle on hair especially when you gain some length, and will pull out less hair when you brush it :)