Sun damage and aging

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 2 months ago
Reputation: 464
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Bklyn_23 wrote:
2 weeks ago
I have extremely good skin genetics (I have the facial skin quality of a 27-29 year old despite being nearly 41), which runs in my family - my parents and grandparents all look 10-15+ years younger than their age. I say this because I started to use facial creams/moisturizers around the eye area and on my nasolabial fold area about 3-4 times per week. Oddly, I feel that they've made my skin look WORSE - like, it makes it too puffy/thick or porous or something. It's strange. I wonder if my natural skin mechanisms are sufficient and whatever these creams generally do for most people I'm already doing naturally, so the creams are just overkill and actually become counterproductive - is that even possible? I especially notice this if I apply them more frequently than every other day. I use a retinol-based moisturizer near the eyes and a hyaluronic acid based cream on the nasolabial areas/cheeks. Wondering if it's all in my mind lol. :P
For me a more simple skin care routine has worked the best. I only use a handful of products, like foaming cleanser, antioxidant serum, hyaluronic acid and retinol serum. In addition to exfoliating my skin and wearing sunscreen.
I actually don't use a moisturizer anymore because they feel so heavy on the skin. Serums are much lighter in texture and more potent. Don't use eye cream either, they're a gimmick and actually has less concentrated ingredients than serums and creams because the skin around the eyes is more delicate. So actually you pay more for a smaller amount of active ingredients.

User avatar
Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 91
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 100

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Marki » 2 weeks ago

rclark wrote:
2 weeks ago
Young people do not understand the suffering that comes with being old.

Young I am not, old am I.

Skin youthful not, nose mucas look like, yes?



my_face_January_28_2019.jpg
true, but at 42 I'm coming to understand it as I see my parents' age on a regular basis. Or when I walked into a seniors home the disturbing images left a mark this time. Maybe it's true what that one singer said "better die young and leave a good looking corpse?"

User avatar
Pat
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 193
Joined: 7 months ago
Reputation: 566
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
3 weeks ago
Aesthetic Sugery Journal... what the...
Are you in the medicine field professionally?
No, I'm just a giant loser.
EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pat, scientists universally agree that UV exposure is the cause of as much as 80 percent of skin aging, so don't be fooled. However, genetics play a huge role too. Look at Brooke Shields, was 11/10 in her teens but as soon as she entered her 20s she started looking like a man and has generally aged very badly.

Image

If you look at her skin, it's actually not that bad for her age (I believe she's in her 50s), but the structure of her face has changed dramatically (genetics)
So even though her skin is pretty nice, she looks old. So there is something to what you say, but if you look at the facts and the aging of skin alone, UV exposure accounts for the majority, in terms of wrinkles, photo aging (sun spots, freckles, rough texture) and sagging.
Ok, so we can agree that the skin isn't the only part of looking old at least. I agree with your Brooke Shields example, it looks like she has run multiple roid cycles. She went from a clear diamond shaped head, to a square. Went from feminine forehead to low prominent lowbridge, it even looks like her hair line has gone from rounded to square. Feminine upturned nose to straight. Crazy what a few millimeters can do. (can't seem to find a good profile shot, and I had to stop looking because I think I'm accidentally on a list now.)
ImageImage
Where we differ or I didn't explain properly is that I believe that if you got weak features, for instance recessed maxillas you'll end up with wrinkles either way, because you constantly have nasalobial folds. Whereas a person with a strong maxilla won't, because the skin isn't scrunched together. For instance look at Casey Neistats recessed maxilla. He has pretty much constant nasalobial folds, which will results in wrinkles in that area. The same will happen if you've got other weak bones.
Image
Weak features to begin with equals looking older faster because weak features are associated with old age as you lose skull volume as when you grow older as evidenced in my earlier link. Finally the point that I really wanted to drive home is that deviations out of the norm in terms of lifestyle and UV exposure will only have a minor impact on your overall aging. The norm is putting on sunscreen when you know you'll be in the sun for a while by the way. Putting sunscreen on during winter when you're barely outside isn't going to do much. Negatively impacting your life in order to preserve your youth isn't fruitful, you'll end up regret it when you're older and look older either way.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 2 months ago
Reputation: 464
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
The norm is putting on sunscreen when you know you'll be in the sun for a while by the way. Putting sunscreen on during winter when you're barely outside isn't going to do much. Negatively impacting your life in order to preserve your youth isn't fruitful, you'll end up regret it when you're older and look older either way.
Nope, UVA (aging rays) are present all year round, whenever there is daylight outside, and they also travel through window glass. This is not something I have made up, but something that scientists and researchers almost uniformly agree on. Read some studies about this and hear when dermatologists have to say.
The rest I agree with though, our bone structure development is highly important in terms of how well we age. The women that has aged the best are those who have kept soft facial features, even if they have some degree of wrinkles/sun damage.
However this thread was dedicated to skin alone. I know we cannot choose our bone structure and how it will develop, but we can choose to take care of our skin. A good broad spectrum sunscreen that doesn't contain harsh chemicals and alcohol will go a long way, along with other sun protective measures like clothing, hats, glasses and seeking shade.
We both live in Norway, and here is is pretty much impossible to get a sunburn during the winter because the UVB radiation is so low, the exception may be if we're out skiing on a sunny day. However UVA radiation is constantly with us, no matter the season. That is where a broad spectrum sunscreen comes in. I know you wanna be right about this but you're just not :lol:

Added in 11 minutes 40 seconds:
Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
Negatively impacting your life in order to preserve your youth isn't fruitful, you'll end up regret it when you're older and look older either way.
It is not negatively impacting my life though. Applying and reapplying sunscreen takes me like 2-5 minutes a day depending on the season (how long the days are)
It's not like I barricade myself inside, I love going for nice walks with my dog for instance, and I run errands pretty much every day and also go outside to see friends and family, go to work etc. It doesn't cost me much to put on sunscreen and protect myself with a hat when the sun is strong :)

User avatar
Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 91
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 100

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Marki » 2 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Nope, UVA (aging rays) are present all year round, whenever there is daylight outside, and they also travel through window glass. This is not something I have made up, but something that scientists and researchers almost uniformly agree on. Read some studies about this and hear when dermatologists have to say.
The rest I agree with though, our bone structure development is highly important in terms of how well we age. The women that has aged the best are those who have kept soft facial features, even if they have some degree of wrinkles/sun damage.
However this thread was dedicated to skin alone. I know we cannot choose our bone structure and how it will develop, but we can choose to take care of our skin. A good broad spectrum sunscreen that doesn't contain harsh chemicals and alcohol will go a long way, along with other sun protective measures like clothing, hats, glasses and seeking shade.
We both live in Norway, and here is is pretty much impossible to get a sunburn during the winter because the UVB radiation is so low, the exception may be if we're out skiing on a sunny day. However UVA radiation is constantly with us, no matter the season. That is where a broad spectrum sunscreen comes in. I know you wanna be right about this but you're just not :lol:

Added in 11 minutes 40 seconds:


It is not negatively impacting my life though. Applying and reapplying sunscreen takes me like 2-5 minutes a day depending on the season (how long the days are)
It's not like I barricade myself inside, I love going for nice walks with my dog for instance, and I run errands pretty much every day and also go outside to see friends and family, go to work etc. It doesn't cost me much to put on sunscreen and protect myself with a hat when the sun is strong :)
Then you gotta wonder what effect rubbing chemicals (sunscreen, moisturizers, even organic) will have on your skin long term.
Since I have fair skin I've learned to be careful in the sun, but in moderation the rays feel nice, especially after a long winter.

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 2 months ago
Reputation: 464
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Marki wrote:
2 weeks ago
Then you gotta wonder what effect rubbing chemicals (sunscreen, moisturizers, even organic) will have on your skin long term.
Since I have fair skin I've learned to be careful in the sun, but in moderation the rays feel nice, especially after a long winter.
I usually use physical sunscreens (those who sit on top of the skin and does not sink in much) and there is not really any research I know of showing that it's harmful long term.
I agree, sun in moderation feels nice. I'm not saying live in a cave here, just minimize a lot of the unnecessary radiation with protective measures. I even go to the beach sometimes in the summer, not often but sometimes I do. I am not saying give up on everything that involves sun :roll:

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 2001
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by JasonStatham » 2 weeks ago

Arjen wrote:
2 weeks ago
I just yesterday orderer some cream for EUR 200 by Sisley, it made me feel so good for 2 seconds. Unfortunately, I am not kdding.
Not long ago men were out hunting and providing for their children while his lovely wife made a nice home cooked dinner.

Now we have men buying cremes for their beauty.
The Gillete ad wasn't even necessary. We are already soyed.

User avatar
Marki
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Posts: 91
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 100

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Marki » 2 weeks ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 weeks ago
Not long ago men were out hunting and providing for their children while his lovely wife made a nice home cooked dinner.

Now we have men buying cremes for their beauty.
The Gillete ad wasn't even necessary. We are already soyed.
Yep there was no time for hair transplants and rubbing topicals on the head in fear of what someone else might say.
And who knows maybe baldness was a true sign of manhood back then.

CaptainForehead
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 178
Joined: 4 months ago
Reputation: 363
Norwood: NW7
Regimen: Avoid mirrors and other reflective surfaces

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by CaptainForehead » 2 weeks ago

EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Image
Image
Image

Yeah, young Brooke Shields remains one of the most beautiful women(girls) I have ever seen. I don't know if she had work done, but you could see her face starting changing from the young age of 18. I know of a lot of ''older'' women who has remained really pretty even until their late 30s, so its not just that I think she was beautiful only because she was a teen.
Yeah, she looks like a different person above. I do not recognize her. Plastic surgery when she got older for sure.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Damn right. There are only a handful of ingredients that are PROVEN to do something, and even those ingredients are not a miracle if you already have damage on your skin. Tretinoin and retinol, antioxidants like vitamin C are some of the top ingredients for anti aging. However, if you are interested in keeping your skin young you have to do a lot of research on your own, a lot of products claim to have things like retinol and antioxidants in them and that is true, but it doesn't say anything about how much of that ingredient is in there, or if the ingredient is stable enough to actually do something for the skin. Vitamin C for instance needs to be in a strength of at least 10 percent to actually do stuff for your skin.
Then there is sunscreen. I could write a book about it, because just because a sunscreen says ''broad spectrum" does not indicate how much it actually protects against UVA, the aging rays. SPF 50 for instance only says something about UVB (how much longer it takes for skin to burn with SPF 50 than without it) and not anything about UVA. To really get a grip you must do your own research to pick the best ingredients so that a sunscreen gives sufficient UVA protection and remains stable on your skin.
But no matter if you choose the right sunscreen, and put it on diligently every day several times a day, it is 1000x more harmful for your skin to be a sun worshipper WITH sunscreen that to be careful with sun exposure but without sunscreen. The #1 strategy is to seek shade as much as possible and over up with clothing, hats and glasses. Sunscreen is just a good accessory to maximize your protection while you are outside.
I did not know about this.
Since you already have the knowledge, could you write a detailed post about sunscreen? What ingredients should one look for?

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
2 weeks ago
Nope, UVA (aging rays) are present all year round, whenever there is daylight outside, and they also travel through window glass. This is not something I have made up, but something that scientists and researchers almost uniformly agree on. Read some studies about this and hear when dermatologists have to say.
What can we do for protection when we are inside?

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 2 months ago
Reputation: 464
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

CaptainForehead wrote:
2 weeks ago

I did not know about this.
Since you already have the knowledge, could you write a detailed post about sunscreen? What ingredients should one look for?
You can see a chart about the different sunscreen ingredients and what type(s) of UV they protect against here:

http://www.skinacea.com/sunscreen/uv-fi ... E9dVS-Dqu5

In general we differ between physical and chemical sunscreens. Chemical sunscreens sink into your skin while physical stay on top of it. Some sunscreens are hybrid (combination of physical and chemical)

You can also find a lot of useful information on this YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6P32 ... WMg/videos

In addition to picking a good sunscreen you should remember:

- Apply enough, recommended amount 1/4th of a teaspoon for your face
- Reapply frequently (every 2-3 hours)

Some good sunscreen brands I like are Elta MD, Exuviance and La-Roche Posay, all reputable with good UVB/UVA coverage. As for asian brands Shiseido Anessa has really good sunscreens (I use the mild version w/o alcohol) and Bioré. Bioré has alchohol in it but I don't use it everyday so it's fine.
CaptainForehead wrote:
2 weeks ago
What can we do for protection when we are inside?
- Sunscreen
OR
- Get yourself window UV filters

The UV that we receive inside is not as strong as that in direct sunlight outside, but over time it will still contribute to damaging your skin. Besides, we get our vitamin D from UVB rays and UVB does not penetrate glass. So we only get UVA inside which is not doing us good anyway. That is why I got UV filters in my living room and kitchen area, where I spend the most time during the day. I did not bother getting it in bedrooms etc, as I don't really spend time there during the day.

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 2001
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by JasonStatham » 2 weeks ago



@EvilLocks
@Arjen

User avatar
Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 808
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 1308
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Arjen » 2 weeks ago

JasonStatham wrote:
2 weeks ago


@EvilLocks
@Arjen
Whom of the two men in the vid do you guys find more attractive, the one with or without hair? I have a preference that I guess won‘t be shared by too many here...

User avatar
JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 915
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 2001
Norwood: NW3.5

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by JasonStatham » 2 weeks ago

Joe Rogan looks better here. The other guy is very creepy looking.

User avatar
Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 830
Joined: 8 months ago
Reputation: 2200
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by Rudiger » 2 weeks ago

Arjen wrote:
2 weeks ago
Whom of the two men in the vid do you guys find more attractive, the one with or without hair? I have a preference that I guess won‘t be shared by too many here...
Why whatever do you mean?

Surely as a baldness support forum we will all hate on the guy with hair and prefer the baldcel leukemia skinhead eggskull NWdeath faggot
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

User avatar
EvilLocks
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Posts: 147
Joined: 2 months ago
Reputation: 464
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Re: Sun damage and aging

Post by EvilLocks » 2 weeks ago

Arjen wrote:
2 weeks ago
Whom of the two men in the vid do you guys find more attractive, the one with or without hair? I have a preference that I guess won‘t be shared by too many here...
The bald looks more alpha despite his hair loss. The guy with hair looks and talks like he could get cast in The Big Bang Theory, so I think I know which one you prefer :P

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest