Are braces worth it?

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Are braces worth it?

Post by Johnt1997 » 2 months ago

I've been to see an orthodontist twice this year to talk about getting braces fitted. I have an overdevelopment issue in my lower jaw that has caused a slight underbite aswell as crowding in my top row giving me crooked teeth.
The surgery took pictures and am xray today, what do yous think, is it worth correcting? I take good care of my teeth otherwise so it would make sense to fix whatever else i can
Attachments
Screenshot_20181108-113100_Snapchat-270x555.jpg
Screenshot_20181108-113100_Snapchat-270x555.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Are braces worth it?

Post by Rudiger » 2 months ago

I mean it's kinda hard to tell, like inspecting a Norwood from a picture thats an inch from the temple. I guess it sort of depends on how the teeth match up to your smile/mouth or something.

I think they look fine but I don't really know.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

Johnt1997 wrote:
2 months ago
I've been to see an orthodontist twice this year to talk about getting braces fitted. I have an overdevelopment issue in my lower jaw that has caused a slight underbite aswell as crowding in my top row giving me crooked teeth.
The surgery took pictures and am xray today, what do yous think, is it worth correcting? I take good care of my teeth otherwise so it would make sense to fix whatever else i can
They look fine in that photo.

We also don't know your financial situation and your general aesthetics. If you're a billionaire, and you look perfect across the board with the exception of your teeth, then yes it's worth it. On the other hand, if you have a working class income and several things that you could be investing in, then it might not be.

Pat
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » 2 months ago

Overdeveloped jaw sounds like a good thing, and you’re teeth aren’t bad. I’d say it’s not worth the time as a braceface during extremely crucial years of your life, even taking money out of the equation.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 2 months ago

Johnt1997 wrote:
2 months ago
I think you already made your decision if you went twice.
You have nice teeth and I don't think it will make a big difference in looks if you fixe it, but if it's on your mind a lot and you have the money, why not? I had braces when I was a kid and it was a pain in the ass but at least I have one less problem now as an adult. But in my case I had 5 times worse teeth than yours.

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » 2 months ago

Another factor that's pushing me towards getting them is wisdom teeth: due to the crowding i would have complications if they were ever to appear, now this does not sound fun at all. Having teeth removed as part of brace treatment would solve this issue

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 months ago

I think Dentists just do things to get money. My teeth aren't yellow, but they're not "glow
in the dark white" either. Every visit, usually a dentist who is "part time" (doing other things
to get money, or staying home with kids) always asks me about bleeching. That or they
have a big family (six kids), so they seem to always find "cavities" that other dentists
can't find.

In the United States, having the "perfect" teeth is a huge deal. People bleach their teeth
all the time, and do things that hurt the enamel and weaken them.

The picture on the image isn't that bad.

Wisdom teeth rarely rupture the mouth either.

Taking them out isn't a bad operation, but I just can't take a D

blackg
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by blackg » 1 month ago

Are braces worth it?
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Ban the lipstick tax!

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » 4 days ago

Update: I decided to get my braces fitted today. They feel weird but not experienced the initial pain yet that people often talk about. Think I've made the right decision
Attachments
Screenshot_20190114-223832_Gallery-270x555.jpg
Screenshot_20190114-223832_Gallery-270x555.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 57 times

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 3 days ago

Johnt1997 wrote:
4 days ago
Update: I decided to get my braces fitted today. They feel weird but not experienced the initial pain yet that people often talk about. Think I've made the right decision
I hope it's worth it for you in the long run and you can maintain decent enough hair while you have them.

I basically told my old dentist to forget about it when he suggested I should wear braces again (in the end, it was not needed, thank God).

I've thought about it for aesthetic reasons since my upper and lower teeth are not perfectly aligned, but it was never worth it given all the other aesthetic problems I've been dealing with, mainly aggressive hair loss of course.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp - Last hair transplant: ~1000 grafts on crown area (February 2019)

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 3 days ago

Admin wrote:
3 days ago
I hope it's worth it for you in the long run and you can maintain decent enough hair while you have them.

I basically told my old dentist to forget about it when he suggested I should wear braces again (in the end, it was not needed, thank God).

I've thought about it for aesthetic reasons since my upper and lower teeth are not perfectly aligned, but it was never worth it given all the other aesthetic problems I've been dealing with, mainly aggressive hair loss of course.
Haha, I can feel you. When you have a bigger problem to deal with, small aesthetic stuff just feels like a drop in the bucket. That's why I couldn't go back to the GYM before I have I dealt with my hair loss first.

I hope you get the results you want @Johnt1997