America's obsession with white teeth likely to become worldwide

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

America's obsession with white teeth likely to become worldwide

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 5 months ago

I noticed when I moved from the USA to Australia in 2012 that many more people had poor teeth. That meant both poor shape, and more yellow-ness. I also know that other people who plan to move to the USA get told by their dentists that might need more work, because Americans care more.

I don't know what the origins of this is, but it's real, and given American cultural hegemony, you can expect it to eventually spread to the rest of the world. I grew up in Canada, which is similar to the USA, and it was standard for teenagers to get braces. I don't think that this is the case in any other countries.

I'll post some comparisons of some politicians, look at Boris Johnson's teeth:
This is Theresa May, their shape is fine, but they're yellow:
If May were an American, she'd likely be getting regular bleaching.

Contrast to Trump nd Obama:
It may be the case that these two would not have made it if they had had teeth like Johnson.

Here's a photo of Arizona Senate Candidate Kyrsten Sinema that I saw this morning:
I'm sure that she gets regular bleaching.
Last edited by Admin 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Had to shorten the title a little as it was spreading behind forum buttons, I hope that one is OK :)

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Re: America's obsession with white teeth likely to become worldwide

Post by Arjen » 5 months ago

I don't welcome that, as my teeth are one of few physical assets positively discerning me from most men. :(

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Americans seem to care more about nice teeth, but this will likely become universal

Arjen wrote:
5 months ago
I don't welcome that, as my teeth are one of few physical assets positively discerning me from most men. :(
I think that the relative importance of teeth is also greater now that we're in the online dating era.

Arjen
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Shaving

Post by Arjen » 5 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 months ago
I think that the relative importance of teeth is also greater now that we're in the online dating era.
When I see people with several pics and they have their mouth closed in each of them I always suspect bad teeth and swipe left. For me it's a deal breaker, at least if they are really bad.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 5 months ago

I noticed that as well. Americans have perfect teeth. Is there some government scheme in place that ensures you get your teeth fixed at a young age?

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » 5 months ago

Yes, its the way its going and we must adapt and play ball.

Coincidently I just had my own teeth whitened recently and I had one tooth reshaped because it was a little bit raised (and I wasn't going to wear a brace for one tooth).

Let me tell you that laser tooth whitening tends to hurt a fair amount. They told me before hand that nearly everyone suffers but I wasn't expecting it. You get shooting pains up your gums if you go longer than 20 minutes under the laser. It also continues to hurt many hours after its done. I'd say it hurts about as much as getting a tattoo done.

The end results is worth it though because it does look great when you have nice white teeth.
Last edited by Johnson 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

supremegentleman wrote:
5 months ago
I noticed that as well. Americans have perfect teeth. Is there some government scheme in place that ensures you get your teeth fixed at a young age?
There's no such government scheme, though it may be that government employees have good dental plans.

But you know what's more effective at transforming societies than government rules? Social norms.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 5 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
5 months ago
But you know what's more effective at transforming societies than government rules? Social norms.
I wish we had those social norms in Europe because I'm almost fighting with my girlfriend over this. It's always playful though, but she has a very hard time accepting that I whiten my teeth every two years or so.

She sees it as one of my most superficial pursuit, and she also knows about the freezing of my belly fat :p. I usually tell her: "It's just good grooming!" and then she will say "but it doesn't matter, no one cares about it!".

Yeah people don't care in the same manner that they don't care if you're bald(ing), you won't feel a direct impact on social interactions, it's not like people will roll their eyes at you or actively try to avoid you because it, but the more subtle negative treatments will be there.

It costs 30€ to refill my whitening gel and it's done in about a week, so of course I'm going to do it. It helps your aesthetics in general and it's one of the cheapest and easiest ways to mitigate the impact of your hair loss on your overall looks.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 5 months ago

supremegentleman wrote:
5 months ago
Well we have fluoride in the water some do actually consider that a govt scheme lol.

I started going to dentists 2x a year every year from a very young age.I want to say 6 or younger. It’s standard here. I have naturally straight teeth but yeah if your teeth were crooked you got braces. Even a lot of lower middle class kids got braces. You had to be like welfare poor not to have braces.
I grew up in 70s and 80s teeth were always in my life VERY important
First thing my immigrant dad did when he made money as a young man was cap all his teeth. I think even in 70s it cost him 10 grand.

Uncle Grandfather
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: 5% Minoxidil, 1 mg Finasteride, Nizoral

Post by Uncle Grandfather » 5 months ago

supremegentleman wrote:
5 months ago
Fluoride in the tap water. I'm not even kidding either.

Anyway, my teeth are so yellow cars slow down when I smile. Don't smoke/chew tobacco, guys!
Good sense, innocence, cripplin' mankind

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

There's a great scene in Dr. Strangelov, where the nutty general says that water fluoridation is part of a government conspiracy to lower the sperm counts of men.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by JasonStatham » 5 months ago

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
5 months ago
Fluoride in the tap water. I'm not even kidding either.

Anyway, my teeth are so yellow cars slow down when I smile. Don't smoke/chew tobacco, guys!
How can you even smoke and be on a hair loss Forum? xD

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 5 months ago

We have fluoride in our tap water down here too.

Now I've gotta say.... in those photos posted by Afro_Vacancy of Presidents Obama and Trump, it seriously looks as though their teeth have been artificially whitened by photoshop.
Let's pay the slaves

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 5 months ago

Trump has veneers. Obama's teeth look natural.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

Orange teeth bad
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)