Taking a Break from your diet may help you lose more weight

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Taking a Break from your diet may help you lose more weight

Post by kj6723 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 pm

So I decided to take a break from intermittent fasting for a week because I've been super hungry lately and on the verge of binging out as a result. I was trying to justify to myself taking off and I found this:

https://www.today.com/health/diet-break-t116476
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319474.php

So in the study referenced there was a group that dieted continuously, and a group that alternated 2 weeks diet/2 weeks maintenance calories. In the end the on/off group had lost more weight than the continuous dieting group. The rational behind it is that taking time off from calorie restriction keep the metabolism working properly. I imagine it also makes it psychologically easier to push through a diet if you know the restriction period is finite

I'm thinking of trying a 2 weeks intermittent fasting/1 week off approach for a while to see how I do. @Afro_Vacancy any thoughts?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Taking a Break from your diet may help you lose more weight

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 am

kj6723 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 pm
So I decided to take a break from intermittent fasting for a week because I've been super hungry lately and on the verge of binging out as a result. I was trying to justify to myself taking off and I found this:

So in the study referenced there was a group that dieted continuously, and a group that alternated 2 weeks diet/2 weeks maintenance calories. In the end the on/off group had lost more weight than the continuous dieting group. The rational behind it is that taking time off from calorie restriction keep the metabolism working properly. I imagine it also makes it psychologically easier to push through a diet if you know the restriction period is finite

I'm thinking of trying a 2 weeks intermittent fasting/1 week off approach for a while to see how I do. @Afro_Vacancy any thoughts?
I would normally advise to stick to something that is working, even if it's not perfect. BUT, you have some of the best willpower and self-control of anybody that I know when it comes to food. If someone can do it, it's you. So you should try it.

The rational, honestly, sounds like pseudoscience. What we know is that there are a lot of case studies showing that calorie variations help. We do not know why, in my opinion. So try and see what happens, but, given that it's three weeks for one cycle, you'd probably need to do it for 12 weeks in order to evaluate.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 am

I myself might take a more frequent approach, like a 5-2 diet:
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/ ... or-lifters

Or maybe just do a 24 hr water fast on one day, and the other 6 days keep calories normal while eating my usual foods

Its pretty hard because I've conditioned myself to look forward to lunch at work every afternoon, since I get paid to chill out/eat during that time, so i might have to do the water fast on sundays

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 am

kj6723 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 pm

What is your approach to IF? You doing 16:8 or skipping days?

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:26 am

I loosely do 18:6 and 20:4, only Monday-Friday when I’m working and busy enough to tune out the hunger....basically I eat dinner + a bunch of extra protein. Weekends I don’t fast but keep carbs very low until dinner time.

I don’t fast whole days, I'd have a really difficult time with that

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: big 3, microneedling for absorption

Post by koolaidshade » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 am

kj6723 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:26 am
I loosely do 18:6 and 20:4, only Monday-Friday when I’m working and busy enough to tune out the hunger....basically I eat dinner + a bunch of extra protein. Weekends I don’t fast but keep carbs very low until dinner time.

I don’t fast whole days, I'd have a really difficult time with that
You dont take lunch breaks at work?

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 am

koolaidshade wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 am
You dont take lunch breaks at work?
No, I don’t. The option is available but I use the time to catch up on responsibilities and leave work a little earlier instead