Intermittent and long-term fasting

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Intermittent and long-term fasting

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:36 pm

pjhair wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:04 pm
I weigh my self 4 to 5 times everyday. My weight goes up and down 3- 4 lbs depending on the time of day I am weighing. After lunch and dinner it goes up and after my run it goes down. I don't think 3 kg increase is a cause of concern provided you don't let it creep up. Have you tried measuring it at different times during a day to see if it's just a temporary upswing?
I only weigh myself in the morning, just before I shower. I think that the additional weights yield little information, just what you ate, what you pooped, and water weight shifts. It might be cause you stress as well.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm
I weighed myself again this morning with an empty stomach and I was still "stuck" at 80.5 kg. My goal is to do down to 78kg.

But as I've said, it seems hard. I ate less today and didn't take fries with my mussels (a sin for a Belgian) at dinner.

Now I know I need to be extra-careful and limit carbs as much as I can and eat small portions. I'll also work a little harder at the gym this week.
The cryo-destroying works? Wow, that's awesome.

Personally, I think it's viable to cut fries in the short-term, but it's implausible for you or most of us to cut them out permanently.

If you stay stuck for a few weeks you might need a change. A good short-term option might be something close to a 16-8 fast, where you would try to limit your meals to the period 12:00pm-8:00pm, approximately. You can adjust the window based on the structure of your life. Try it for a month and see how it goes.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

I'll be completing 10 days tonight, and will have some food tomorrow. I wish I could go on longer personally as this has been great, but I have the cocktail party on Thursday. I might do another one later.

A comment on men's fashion -- I own many pairs of pants with waist size 32. Several of them are now too loose for me :-) But two of them remain too tight :o The companies should be consistent, but unfortunately they don't respect us as consumers.

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

I did a 24 hours fast on Wednesday. My jawline was clearly more defined even though I only fasted for a day. It was probably due to loss of fluid. The same thing happens to me after my runs. It goes away though once I eat.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:14 am

pjhair wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm
I did a 24 hours fast on Wednesday. My jawline was clearly more defined even though I only fasted for a day. It was probably due to loss of fluid. The same thing happens to me after my runs. It goes away though once I eat.
Yes, it's easy to lose five lbs in a day from water.

When your body is burning fat rather than sugar for energy, it maintains a lower equilibrium water weight. I'm not clear as to why that is.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm

My ~10.5 day fast ended roughly a week ago, so here are the end results:

- Muscle, unaffected.
- Fat, roughly 10 lbs loss.
- Aesthetics, I don't have a six pack, but I look like I have a flat stomach when wearing a shirt. There's no tummy bulge. My hair, skin, and nails appear unaffected.
- Lower back pain, reduced.
- Sleep, improved but not perfect. I now sleep 7 contiguous hours, but it could be due to other changes. My first night of good sleep in months was the night after the fast. Sleep is now 80% perfect, before it was like 40% good. When I wake up, I lounge in bed for thirty minutes, rather than 90-120 minutes.
- Urinary function -- my post-urinary drip is now 80% gone. I used to drip, drip, drip after peeing, for which I had an off-label prescription that was helping halfway and that I was building tolerance to. As in, I'd finish peeing, and then I might need to squeeze my balls to let the rest out (like a 70 year-old man), and then still I'd get an embarrassing stain a minute later once I walked around. I now have very little drip, and I'm off the drug for now.
- Mood, improved.
- Concentration, was improved but no longer very good. During the fast it was phenomenally good.

This is the first fast where I've noticed physiological improvement separate from weight loss, and not coincidentally it was my longest one. There are anecdotal reports of long fasts improving vision, auto-immune conditions, cancer, etc. Given this, I'd like to do another long fast in a month or two.

In the meantime, what I want to do is eat healthy and exercise between the fasts. I'm trying to add in cold showers.

Edited to add: My dreams have changed and my therapist joked that she wants to write a paper about it. Previously I was dreaming about things that I was afraid of. Now I'm dreaming about things that I want.

Reference: I'm a 34 year-old male North African Jewish caucasian single male, 1.81 meters / 5'11, and weigh 180 lbs. My bone structure is average for my height. Moderate drinker, single, non-smoker.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm
My ~10.5 day fast ended roughly a week ago, so here are the end results:

- Muscle, unaffected.
- Fat, roughly 10 lbs loss.
- Aesthetics, I don't have a six pack, but I look like I have a flat stomach when wearing a shirt. There's no tummy bulge. My hair, skin, and nails appear unaffected.
- Lower back pain, reduced.
- Sleep, improved but not perfect. I now sleep 7 contiguous hours, but it could be due to other changes. My first night of good sleep in months was the night after the fast. Sleep is now 80% perfect, before it was like 40% good. When I wake up, I lounge in bed for thirty minutes, rather than 90-120 minutes.
- Urinary function -- my post-urinary drip is now 80% gone. I used to drip, drip, drip after peeing, for which I had an off-label prescription that was helping halfway and that I was building tolerance to. As in, I'd finish peeing, and then I might need to squeeze my balls to let the rest out (like a 70 year-old man), and then still I'd get an embarrassing stain a minute later once I walked around. I now have very little drip, and I'm off the drug for now.
- Mood, improved.
- Concentration, was improved but no longer very good. During the fast it was phenomenally good.

This is the first fast where I've noticed physiological improvement separate from weight loss, and not coincidentally it was my longest one. There are anecdotal reports of long fasts improving vision, auto-immune conditions, cancer, etc. Given this, I'd like to do another long fast in a month or two.

In the meantime, what I want to do is eat healthy and exercise between the fasts. I'm trying to add in cold showers.

Edited to add: My dreams have changed and my therapist joked that she wants to write a paper about it. Previously I was dreaming about things that I was afraid of. Now I'm dreaming about things that I want.

Reference: I'm a 34 year-old male North African Jewish caucasian single male, 1.81 meters / 5'11, and weigh 180 lbs. My bone structure is average for my height. Moderate drinker, single, non-smoker.
Well that's extreme, how did you find this in terms of y'know, being fucking starving for a week and a half?

Also I think I'd be so bored without getting to cook a few times a day.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 am

Rudiger wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 am
Well that's extreme, how did you find this in terms of y'know, being fucking starving for a week and a half?

Also I think I'd be so bored without getting to cook a few times a day.
The starvation went away after a few days, but the boredom was real, consistent, and a pain.

However, after 4 or 5 days I was incredibly focused on my work, so it was fine.

Johnson
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by Johnson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:32 am

I might try this, although I am a little scared of muscle loss.

I'm 5'11 and 187lbs at around 17% bodyfat.

My ideal body weight is 170lbs at around 10% body fat.

I actually feel fat as fuck right now because I gained ten pounds, but if I mention feeling fat to normal people then they think i'm nuts.

Anyway, i will let you know how i do. Theres a high chance i will fail but i will at least try. I'm going to try and go for 5 or 6 days to start this off with. I'm off work until tuesday so its the best time to experiment (i'm afraid it would effect my teaching if i havent eaten).

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm
I'll be completing 10 days tonight, and will have some food tomorrow. I wish I could go on longer personally as this has been great, but I have the cocktail party on Thursday. I might do another one later.

A comment on men's fashion -- I own many pairs of pants with waist size 32. Several of them are now too loose for me :-) But two of them remain too tight :o The companies should be consistent, but unfortunately they don't respect us as consumers.
I give you a lot of credit only person I know who can fast like this is a Native American medicine man who does it for religious purposes.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:56 am

Johnson wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:32 am
I might try this, although I am a little scared of muscle loss.

I'm 5'11 and 187lbs at around 17% bodyfat.

My ideal body weight is 170lbs at around 10% body fat.

I actually feel fat as fuck right now because I gained ten pounds, but if I mention feeling fat to normal people then they think i'm nuts.

Anyway, i will let you know how i do. Theres a high chance i will fail but i will at least try. I'm going to try and go for 5 or 6 days to start this off with. I'm off work until tuesday so its the best time to experiment (i'm afraid it would effect my teaching if i havent eaten).
I’m going to do the 16:8 fast. I’ve done it before with good/decent results you basically eat in an 8 hour window. Some do 6 hours. Some do 1 meal a day.

I can’t do the 24 hour thing

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 am
The starvation went away after a few days, but the boredom was real, consistent, and a pain.

However, after 4 or 5 days I was incredibly focused on my work, so it was fine.
I'm guessing training went out the window? For either cardio or weights?

I did go on a rather nuts fat cut for maybe 8 or 9 days, and it worked, I lost 12 pounds (and I was already doing moderate training before that week so I don't think there was a dramatic water weight loss, maybe a few pounds if I worked it out correctly). But that was dangerous, very low calories daily and lots of cardio and my normal weight training.

I was doing the stair climber on what turned out to be the last day of this and i just felt a bit of exhaustion like I'd keel over if I continued. Not trying that again.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Hairblues » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I’m starting 16:8 again today

I’m going to have to come up with a good system to remember my 8 hour time frame.

Anyone else do a daily window or do you all do days at a time?

yettee
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:42 pm

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:55 pm

A weird comment that made it into the article:

Experts say there could be other risks to fasting, such as headaches, fatigue, nausea and insomnia. It may also be less safe for some groups of people to fast, including pregnant women and those who take certain medications.

Who could have guessed that fasting might not be advisable for pregnant women?