Intermittent and long-term fasting

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Re: Intermittent and long-term fasting

Post by Rudiger » 10 months ago

Is the earth fussy about banging bald guys?
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 9 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
10 months ago
I plan on fasting next week -- hopefully I can pull it off lol. This week, I'm traveling in the American southwest and I like to eat out when travelling.
Cool. Are you heading to Arizona at all? Tombstone, Arizona?
She packed my bags last night

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 9 months ago

blackg wrote:
9 months ago
Cool. Are you heading to Arizona at all? Tombstone, Arizona?
No, I was in New Mexico.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 8 months ago

Since I'm on christmas break and have nothing important to do today, i'm trying to fast for 36 hours. been stocking up on tea, sparkling water, coffee, etc

Food accounts for a significant amount of my entertainment so this is challenging.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 8 months ago

I have been on diet since 1st October. I was around 80kg. Now I am 67/66kg. Christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day I set myself a break but I will be back on diet after that. 1000 calories a day. I am trying to lose body fat and then I will hit the gym to get those muscles. Maybe the next step will be to get a tan and embrace my baldness who knows.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 7 months ago

I'm trying to get back on track.

In recent months I traveled to Italy, Germany, Chile, and Seattle, so I ate. I ate very well actually. It's a stereotype and a cliché, but the food in Italy and Germany was just amazing. When I was in Germany I went to the bakery every day. I don't know why the standards are lower in North America.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 1 month ago

Getting back on track will take a while.

But I did fast yesterday, really from Sunday at around 900pm until this morning around 900am, I only had tea, water, and coffee. I hope to also watch things a bit on Thursday and Friday.

Dr. Peter Attia (endocrinologist) recently interviewed Dr. Jason Fung (nephrologist) on his podcast, they discussed fasting. I found the second half more interesting.

https://peterattiamd.com/jasonfung/

Xexos
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Post by Xexos » 1 month ago

I already fasted 30 days this year, no food, no water, nothing, for 16 hours and 5 minutes each day, which is total a 475 hours.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Xexos wrote:
1 month ago
I already fasted 30 days this year, no food, no water, nothing, for 16 hours and 5 minutes each day, which is total a 475 hours.
How did you feel at the end?

Edited to add: Do you always get up to have a snack at 500am?

Xexos
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Finasteride 1.25 MG ED .. Tea Tree Shampoo 3x a week

Post by Xexos » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
How did you feel at the end?

Edited to add: Do you always get up to have a snack at 500am?
I've been doing this for about 7-8 years actually, so it's hard to notice at this point since it's not that unusual to me to fast for such a long time.

And yeah, we eat two meals each day, one is called Iftar and the other Suhur and we eat Iftar at Adhan Maghreb and Suhur before Adhan Alfajr. We're also told not to eat too much.

I heard Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: "No man fills a container worse than his stomach. A few morsels that keep his back upright are sufficient for him. If he has to, then he should keep one-third for food, one-third for drink and one-third for his breathing."

Also obesity is hated in Islam and considered a sin if it actually does harm to the body.

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
Getting back on track will take a while.

But I did fast yesterday, really from Sunday at around 900pm until this morning around 900am, I only had tea, water, and coffee. I hope to also watch things a bit on Thursday and Friday.

Dr. Peter Attia (endocrinologist) recently interviewed Dr. Jason Fung (nephrologist) on his podcast, they discussed fasting. I found the second half more interesting.

https://peterattiamd.com/jasonfung/
Hi,

Have you ever looked at near-keto diet?

For your height; like 160g protein, and then 40% fats and the rest carbs of the daily maintenance cals?

I just can't shake the feeling that you may benefit from such diet.

Also I suggest Eris Helms ''The muscle & strenght pyramid - Nutrition''.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Cheers
''I have hope for life man'' - buckthorn, 2018

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

DerPapillus wrote:
1 month ago
Hi,

Have you ever looked at near-keto diet?

For your height; like 160g protein, and then 40% fats and the rest carbs of the daily maintenance cals?

I just can't shake the feeling that you may benefit from such diet.

Also I suggest Eris Helms ''The muscle & strenght pyramid - Nutrition''.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Cheers
I'm not a fan of keto. I don't think that it's right for me, largely because it's an extremely difficult diet.

It might work for people who never or rarely travel.

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » 1 month ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
1 month ago
I'm not a fan of keto. I don't think that it's right for me, largely because it's an extremely difficult diet.

It might work for people who never or rarely travel.
Hm, it's interesting that you find keto difficult. Personally, I'm convinced
that it's far easier to stick to than f.ex. filling the cals with healthy carbs.
to be honest, I've never personally tried keto, nor near-keto, but after reading
substantial studies in nutrition, I may test a somewhat more southern-european
diet as think there's a chance it fits my genetics better.

Also, I've always had to restrict fat in any of my meals, from meat to olives
in salad, but always against my instinct as I kind of love olives, almonds, avocado,
eggs etc etc...

As an exm.. in my current diet I consume 45g prots, 20g fats and 70g carbs for breakfast.
To be able to hit that goal, I have to dith the yolks, which I prefer way before the wholegrains...

To be exact, I don't even think keto is realistic nor healthy in the long run for most people,
but for some it's natural and preferable. That's why near-keto may be appropriate if
we fall in the category of some 20% individuals that are more insulin insensitive/ metabolic
syndrome.

Cheers
''I have hope for life man'' - buckthorn, 2018

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

DerPapillus wrote:
1 month ago
Hm, it's interesting that you find keto difficult. Personally, I'm convinced
that it's far easier to stick to than f.ex. filling the cals with healthy carbs.
to be honest, I've never personally tried keto, nor near-keto, but after reading
substantial studies in nutrition, I may test a somewhat more southern-european
diet as think there's a chance it fits my genetics better.

Also, I've always had to restrict fat in any of my meals, from meat to olives
in salad, but always against my instinct as I kind of love olives, almonds, avocado,
eggs etc etc...

As an exm.. in my current diet I consume 45g prots, 20g fats and 70g carbs for breakfast.
To be able to hit that goal, I have to dith the yolks, which I prefer way before the wholegrains...

To be exact, I don't even think keto is realistic nor healthy in the long run for most people,
but for some it's natural and preferable. That's why near-keto may be appropriate if
we fall in the category of some 20% individuals that are more insulin insensitive/ metabolic
syndrome.

Cheers
I have no opinion on long-term keto, as in, I genuinely don't know if it's a good idea. My best guess is that some cycling between diets might be optimal.

Olives, avocado, almonds, eggs are delicious. Also expensive. Part of the reason that people eat a lot if grain is that it is the cheapest source of food over calorie.

Anyway, the reason that I don't do keto is that it requires 80% effort but with maximal consistency. Fasting requires 100% effort, but you obviously don't need to fast forever.