Skin care thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Re: Skin care thread

Post by kj6723 » 1 month ago

pas wrote:
1 month ago
Hi Kj :) I started dermarolling my face (lol). I only started it last week, but liked it. I clean my skin, dermaroll, do purifying mask (like charcoal), then clen my skin, then apply skinceuticals vit C and E serum, and I finish with moisturizer (aloe vera or pomegranate).

Does any of you use dermaroller on the skin, and what do you think about it?

My main issue is water retention/oedema which is quite bad since I used spironolactone (and androcur). It's worst during summer of course, but it really bothers me on the face, because it's like it's not my face anymore or something (I already feel like it with hair loss). It's swollen, and as a result, eyes seem little, bad chin, etc. I am trying to find tutorials to do a lymphatic massage on the face, but if any of you know a cream or something that might help and cost little time, I would really be interested guys.
Holy fuck Pas is that really you? :shock: I genuinely thought I would never speak to you again. Amazing to hear from you young lady. We need to catch up

I’m going more simplistic on my looksmax game in general now, and for skincare all I’m doing is putting sunscreen on my face in the morning and washing with a gentle cleanser when I shower. All the other stuff is diminishing returns for me at the moment. Maybe if my skin was noticeably going to shit I’d be bothering with tretinoin and all that but I still have people thinking I’m a fucking 18 year old

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 month ago
Holy fuck Pas is that really you? :shock: I genuinely thought I would never speak to you again. Amazing to hear from you young lady. We need to catch up

I’m going more simplistic on my looksmax game in general now, and for skincare all I’m doing is putting sunscreen on my face in the morning and washing with a gentle cleanser when I shower. All the other stuff is diminishing returns for me at the moment. Maybe if my skin was noticeably going to shit I’d be bothering with tretinoin and all that but I still have people thinking I’m a fucking 18 year old
It's really her, I could tell right away from the way she writes <3 The return of pas and the banning of a couple others was really what this forum needed right now, it went from spiraling out of control to functioning well again.

Don't feel bad about your simplistic skin care routine, it's a much better option than those who shell out thousands of dollars on expensive skin care products and beauty treatments, only to undo all their "hard work" by abusing tanning beds and/or the sun, living an unhealthy lifestyle of partying and drinking hardcore, eating crappy food and smoking etc.
I reckon it's better avoiding the mistakes above, but washing your face with toilet water and using the cheapest moisturizer you can find on Walmart, rather than making those mistakes and using only LaMer/ Barbara Sturm/ Chanel etc.
At Peace with the Piece 8-)

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 month ago
Amazing to hear from you young lady.
:clap:
:smirk:

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:
EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
It's really her, I could tell right away from the way she writes <3 The return of pas and the banning of a couple others was really what this forum needed right now, it went from spiraling out of control to functioning well again.

Don't feel bad about your simplistic skin care routine, it's a much better option than those who shell out thousands of dollars on expensive skin care products and beauty treatments, only to undo all their "hard work" by abusing tanning beds and/or the sun, living an unhealthy lifestyle of partying and drinking hardcore, eating crappy food and smoking etc.
I reckon it's better avoiding the mistakes above, but washing your face with toilet water and using the cheapest moisturizer you can find on Walmart, rather than making those mistakes and using only LaMer/ Barbara Sturm/ Chanel etc.
Let me smoke and use LaMer in peace, ok!!! ;) :D

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 month ago

pas wrote:
1 month ago
:clap:
:smirk:

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:

Let me smoke and use LaMer in peace, ok!!! ;) :D
La Mer? Isn’t that like $300 a jar?

I just got skincellitus retinol. I haven’t used it yet like it literally just came yesterday. I’ve been using another one for a long time but 2 dermatologist mentioned this one to me so I’m going to try it for few months.

My other products are mostly by drunk elephant. Their peptide is amaz-balls. I slather that on my neck and chest too.

I’m going to start doing ‘baby’ Botox. It’s like a minimal dose. Spoke to dr about it. I think In a few weeks I’m gonna start 😬 I have an irrational paranoia about Botox.

I also purchased the Joan rivers root concealer (lol) it actually has the best reviews and the one from Tarte I’ve been using was discontinued 😭 I need to try this one as a backup.

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 1 month ago

Hairblues wrote:
1 month ago
La Mer? Isn’t that like $300 a jar?

I just got skincellitus retinol. I haven’t used it yet like it literally just came yesterday. I’ve been using another one for a long time but 2 dermatologist mentioned this one to me so I’m going to try it for few months.

My other products are mostly by drunk elephant. Their peptide is amaz-balls. I slather that on my neck and chest too.

I’m going to start doing ‘baby’ Botox. It’s like a minimal dose. Spoke to dr about it. I think In a few weeks I’m gonna start 😬 I have an irrational paranoia about Botox.

I also purchased the Joan rivers root concealer (lol) it actually has the best reviews and the one from Tarte I’ve been using was discontinued 😭 I need to try this one as a backup.
I was kidding about LaMer :D it's very expensive, indeed!!! But my point was that it's frikkin difficult and anoying to never smoke, drink, eat junk food... etc. And maybe even moreso when you are facing hairloss. I am not an example regarding healthy lifestyle, even though a don't drink and I eat mostly well, and I exercise (but not enough, I sincerily hate running). I am vigilant about it, but not obsessed (like I was at one point). I am actually more and more concerned about looksmaxing logic and its consequences, and it's not that easy to find a good balance...

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

pas wrote:
1 month ago
But my point was that it's frikkin difficult and anoying to never smoke, drink, eat junk food... etc. And maybe even moreso when you are facing hairloss. I am not an example regarding healthy lifestyle, even though a don't drink and I eat mostly well, and I exercise (but not enough, I sincerily hate running). I am vigilant about it, but not obsessed (like I was at one point). I am actually more and more concerned about looksmaxing logic and its consequences, and it's not that easy to find a good balance...
No, no, no, I didn't mean you can never do those things! As for drugs and smoking, I would say that yeah, you should definitely never do those. I understand it's hard to quit smoking, but if you really want to, you can do it. As for alcohol and junk food, of course it's better to never do it but that's not really realistic for most of us. I'd say enjoy those in moderation.
Personally I follow the 80/20 rule, which means I eat pretty healthy (not just rabbit food, but lots of veggies and fruit, some grains, seeds and nuts, olive oil eggs, chicken, beans and lenses, turkey and fatty fish, some diary products like low fat cheese or youghurt++) 80% of the time and indulge in whatever I want the remaining 20%
When I indulge I love things like McDonalds, chocolate, ice cream, burger, pizza etc. In my everyday life I try to make my favorite dishes more healthy, like using whole wheat flour on the pizza, less cheese, more veggies etc. or making the chips for my burger in my air fryer, using a low fat dressing, lots of veggie +++ Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring :)
The only thing I have a real issue with is my Diet Coke addiction haha. I'm making a real effort to drink more water and less Coke though :roll:

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 month ago

pas wrote:
1 month ago
I was kidding about LaMer :D it's very expensive, indeed!!! But my point was that it's frikkin difficult and anoying to never smoke, drink, eat junk food... etc. And maybe even moreso when you are facing hairloss. I am not an example regarding healthy lifestyle, even though a don't drink and I eat mostly well, and I exercise (but not enough, I sincerily hate running). I am vigilant about it, but not obsessed (like I was at one point). I am actually more and more concerned about looksmaxing logic and its consequences, and it's not that easy to find a good balance...
I eat junk food. Not all the time or every day but I have a snack a couple times a week.

I would never run unless the killer is after me. I’m mostly doing strength training and HIIT cardio.

I don’t know how to tell you to find balance. For me my hair stabilizing was healing. Having a plan of action if things go south gives me a little sense of control. But I’m sure I will be devastated if it is no longer stable.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

I eat a lot of junk food and also often binge drink on the weekends. Fasting, HIIT, and strength training all keep my weight under control

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 month ago
I eat a lot of junk food and also often binge drink on the weekends. Fasting, HIIT, and strength training all keep my weight under control
i've noticed that people who are really fit and lean, despite eating junk food on occasions, age better than those who are not fit/lean. Might be due to the body having lesser stores of free radicals/oxidants/inflammatory substances... i'm not sure.

Some people my age/younger who chronically consume junk/processed foods or are dad-bodied have more wrinkles, gray hairs, and norwooding than me and other fit people i know. An interesting phenomenon... or maybe i am equating correlation with causation
EvilLocks wrote:
1 month ago
No, no, no, I didn't mean you can never do those things! As for drugs and smoking, I would say that yeah, you should definitely never do those. I understand it's hard to quit smoking, but if you really want to, you can do it. As for alcohol and junk food, of course it's better to never do it but that's not really realistic for most of us. I'd say enjoy those in moderation.
Personally I follow the 80/20 rule, which means I eat pretty healthy (not just rabbit food, but lots of veggies and fruit, some grains, seeds and nuts, olive oil eggs, chicken, beans and lenses, turkey and fatty fish, some diary products like low fat cheese or youghurt++) 80% of the time and indulge in whatever I want the remaining 20%
When I indulge I love things like McDonalds, chocolate, ice cream, burger, pizza etc. In my everyday life I try to make my favorite dishes more healthy, like using whole wheat flour on the pizza, less cheese, more veggies etc. or making the chips for my burger in my air fryer, using a low fat dressing, lots of veggie +++ Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring :)
The only thing I have a real issue with is my Diet Coke addiction haha. I'm making a real effort to drink more water and less Coke though :roll:
I try to eat healthy like you too, except avoid anything with polyunsaturated fats, especially foods fried in them, since they oxidize a lot more. French fries are really bad for you because not only are they fried in the worst oils, but because restaurants reuse them for many batches and they accumulate more bad stuff.

I do my best to base my diet off of Stan Efferding's Vertical Diet, but i occasionally indulge in stuff like a cheesecake, diet soda, candy, ice cream

Using an air fryer is so nice, saves me a lot of time, cleanup, and i can cut out the bad calories and put in a little coconut oil onto my homemade fries. Wings are also a lot less fatty but crispier when made with an air fryer.

I personally think diet sodas are safe, there are many studies on its safety, but also a lot of fear mongering. I honestly think some diet sodas taste better than their full-sugared/syruped counterparts.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
i've noticed that people who are really fit and lean, despite eating junk food on occasions, age better than those who are not fit/lean. Might be due to the body having lesser stores of free radicals/oxidants/inflammatory substances... i'm not sure.

Some people my age/younger who chronically consume junk/processed foods or are dad-bodied have more wrinkles, gray hairs, and norwooding than me and other fit people i know. An interesting phenomenon... or maybe i am equating correlation with causation
Well the research does show that exercise is literally anti-aging at the cellular level, keeping the telomeres longer:

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ ... -you-young

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4 ... 3famp=true

But bro....you’ve been in the male pattern baldness game too long to be making silly corrections between unhealthy lifestyle choices and norwooding

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
1 month ago
Well the research does show that exercise is literally anti-aging at the cellular level, keeping the telomeres longer:

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ ... -you-young

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/4 ... 3famp=true

But bro....you’ve been in the male pattern baldness game too long to be making silly corrections between unhealthy lifestyle choices and norwooding
Maybe its just wishful thinking... but i think that an unhealthy lifestyle will accelerate norwooding for those who are susceptible to male pattern baldness, and most likely do nothing to the hair of someone with good hair genes

Added in 20 hours 39 minutes 46 seconds:
@EvilLocks @Hairblues

do any of you guys use an eyelash curler? I think that i look slightly better if my upper eyelashes are lifted up. They are already long and nice and i might as well take advantage of that. Plus, i got the idea from model Brett Maverick a while back

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

koolaidshade wrote:
1 month ago
Added in 20 hours 39 minutes 46 seconds:
@EvilLocks @Hairblues

do any of you guys use an eyelash curler? I think that i look slightly better if my upper eyelashes are lifted up. They are already long and nice and i might as well take advantage of that. Plus, i got the idea from model Brett Maverick a while back

I sometimes use an eyelash curler but most of the time I don't. I do use lash serum and dye my lashes darker though. To be honest I think it can look a bit weird with super long eyelashes on men especially if they are curled, won't it almost look like you're wearing mascara? But hey, if you think it makes you look better, go for it :)