Skin care thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Skin care thread

Post by Admin » 1 year ago

God has a curious sense of humor: I'm walking around with the best hair I've had since I was 18, the best body I've had yet thanks to weightlifting (brah) and bam, out of the blue, I'm struck with what appears to be fungal acne (or Pityrosporum Malassezia Folliculitis) on my forehead. Quite unsightly.

Thank God I caught it early enough and apparently, it feeds on sebum (so you have to make sure to keep your face clean thorough the day), on oil so you can't apply oil-based sunscreen and creams anymore, and I have to say I've been pretty careless with that lately, and the intense heat in Europe didn't help since sweat is one of the causes or aggravates fungal acne.

The only reliable diet advice I could find was to reduce my sugar intake since the fungus also feeds on that, as well as balancing my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. It's true that I've been eating a lot of red meat lately and not enough seafood. I'm going to hop on fish oil supplements again soon.

I wish I still had my zinc oxide cream which is still the best acne spot-treatment I've ever used, I ordered some but by the time it arrives, this acne episode will hopefully already be taken care of.

Anyway, if you guys have any advice on how to take care of your skin, don't hesitate to share it in this thread. My topical regimen is basically sunscreen and washing my face with water. I don't dare to apply any moisturizer since my skin already get oily naturally after a few hours. Internally, I'm taking zinc with copper (L-OptiZinc) and beta carotene to get a slightly healthier skin tone (slightly orange beats pale ghost by far).

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Re: Skin care thread

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

Maybe try some Nizoral. I used to have skin dandruff on my chest for like a year (I couldn't be bothered to see a doctor). When I started washing my hair with Nizoral it went away.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 1 year ago

Barely related- I had a big tub of fish oil capsules which unfortunately I lost the lid for, and now they've all gone soft. Like, really soft, you could probably squish and pop them. There must be like 200 left or something.

Are they still safe to eat? I haven't take one in weeks now since I noticed the softness.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 1 year ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
God has a curious sense of humor: I'm walking around with the best hair I've had since I was 18, the best body I've had yet thanks to weightlifting (brah) and bam, out of the blue, I'm struck with what appears to be fungal acne (or Pityrosporum Malassezia Folliculitis) on my forehead. Quite unsightly.

Thank God I caught it early enough and apparently, it feeds on sebum (so you have to make sure to keep your face clean thorough the day), on oil so you can't apply oil-based sunscreen and creams anymore, and I have to say I've been pretty careless with that lately, and the intense heat in Europe didn't help since sweat is one of the causes or aggravates fungal acne.

The only reliable diet advice I could find was to reduce my sugar intake since the fungus also feeds on that, as well as balancing my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. It's true that I've been eating a lot of red meat lately and not enough seafood. I'm going to hop on fish oil supplements again soon.

I wish I still had my zinc oxide cream which is still the best acne spot-treatment I've ever used, I ordered some but by the time it arrives, this acne episode will hopefully already be taken care of.

Anyway, if you guys have any advice on how to take care of your skin, don't hesitate to share it in this thread. My topical regimen is basically sunscreen and washing my face with water. I don't dare to apply any moisturizer since my skin already get oily naturally after a few hours. Internally, I'm taking zinc with copper (L-OptiZinc) and beta carotene to get a slightly healthier skin tone (slightly orange beats pale ghost by far).
I have been having skin issues lately but for a completely different reasons. I pretty much never get acne. However, last month I scrubbed my face really, really hard using a soap. The very next day, I saw an acne on my face. I panicked and bought an anti-acne face wash and started washing my face with it once a day. My acne went away on it's own but I started noticing white dandruff like flakes on my face whenever I took shower. I was hoping it would go away on it's own but it didn't. So I finally went and saw a dermatologist. The idiot only looked at me for a minute and prescribed a hydrocortisone cream without explaining me anything. He didn't seem interested in answering any question and was in hurry. Anyway,in his notes, he wrote "dermatitis".

What was actually happening is that soap excessively dried my face which resulted in acne. Yes, excessive drying can cause it. I subsequently made it worse by using anti acne face wash which further dried my skin. So what I did was just significantly reduce the number of times I use soap or face wash to clean my face and just use water. I use soap once every three days. The white flakes have gone down significantly although not completely. I am avoiding using the hydro-cortisone cream that the dermatologist prescribed as it's regular use causes effects such as thinning of skin and hypo-pigmentation. The moron didn't even tell me about these side effects. I might use it for a couple of days though just to see if it completely eliminates the dermatitis. I have also ordered a medicated soap that has pyriothione zinc as an ingredient which is supposed to help eliminate dermatitis. However, as my symptoms are very mild, I am putting all treatments on hold hoping it would go away on it's on if I give it more time.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 1 year ago

I never even heard of fungal acne.

I used to get acne in my 20s and 30s. It was under control via facials deep cleaning 1x every 4-8 weeks depending. I had two friends who saw same woman who had cystic acne and she made their skin gorgeous with same thing the deep cleaning . I think in USA we call it European Facials they basically open your pores and squeeze everything out and sometimes carefully lance it. Hurts like a son of a bitch but worked for me. I’m sure if someone is a shitty facialoat though can fuck up and leave scars. Also now in Derm office they may have better way with laser facials. I don't know.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 1 year ago

When I got bad acne in my teens/early 20's benzoyl peroxide was by far the most effective topical. At that time it was only available by prescription in the US but it's now over the counter. Also took accutane for a time and that stuff definitely works too

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 4 months ago

Did you guys ever come across the study for overgrowth Demodex mites and hair loss? I don’t think I have that but it reminded me of the people who spoke of the burning crawling sensation before a shed. (Buckthorn comes to mind) they said it creates an inflammatory reaction in the follicle (I’m paraphrasing so can be misunderstanding).

SmootheSailing
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: minoxidil + Nizoral

Post by SmootheSailing » 4 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
4 months ago
Did you guys ever come across the study for overgrowth Demodex mites and hair loss? I don’t think I have that but it reminded me of the people who spoke of the burning crawling sensation before a shed. (Buckthorn comes to mind) they said it creates an inflammatory reaction in the follicle (I’m paraphrasing so can be misunderstanding).
I’m very familiar with demodex mites as I used to have a bad case of them.

A lot of people actually have demodex mites although very few mites and they don’t cause any harm, but some people are susceptible to getting a large amount of them which can cause skin problems, acne, dandruff especially in your eyelashes. In fact dandruff in your eyelashes is the best sign that you have a demodex problem. They hide in your hair sockets during the day, which leads to dandruff and sometimes lash loss.

I fixed mine with some mixture of tea tree oil and joba oil(?) or some other filler oil like that as tea tree oil is to harsh to put near the eyes, it stings a lot.

I did this for a month, initially I had an acne break out, which is when they are dieing, then it cleared up and my dandruff went away. Eventually my eyelashes grew thicker and there were more lashes than before.

Although I never read that it affected head hair, they like the pores on your face apparently.

But I didn’t look too much into it, this was before my hair loss days.

Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » 4 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
4 months ago
If he lost his hair because of that, then he'd lose his hair all over instead of the traditional hair loss pattern. I think he had traditional male pattern baldness pattern hair loss?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 4 months ago

I sometimes get acne on my upper back.

I use a charcoal / salicylic acid gel in the shower. The charcoal probably does nothing.
When I remember, I apply a benzoic acid / adapelene leave-on gel on the skin before sleep.
When I remember, I apply a zinc oxide + castor oil cream on the skin in the morning.

It does help, slowly.

The antibiotic doxycycline, at a 100mg dose taken once a day, also proves helpful, but I don't like taking antibiotics long-term. It really does help with the acne, but it's probably having other effects as well. It's also annoying, as if it's taken without food it causes a massive stomach ache.

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 1 month ago

kj6723 wrote:
4 months ago
Hairblues is in that bracket $$$$$ 8-)

I'm probably going to start using tretinoin and vit c serum again in the next month or so. I've slacked hard on the skincare game in the last year but I'm feeling motivated to get back on it
Hi Kj :) I started dermarolling my face (lol). I only started it last week, but liked it. I clean my skin, dermaroll, do purifying mask (like charcoal), then clen my skin, then apply skinceuticals vit C and E serum, and I finish with moisturizer (aloe vera or pomegranate).

Does any of you use dermaroller on the skin, and what do you think about it?

My main issue is water retention/oedema which is quite bad since I used spironolactone (and androcur). It's worst during summer of course, but it really bothers me on the face, because it's like it's not my face anymore or something (I already feel like it with hair loss). It's swollen, and as a result, eyes seem little, bad chin, etc. I am trying to find tutorials to do a lymphatic massage on the face, but if any of you know a cream or something that might help and cost little time, I would really be interested guys.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Head & Shoulders caffeine shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Post by Admin » 1 month ago

pas wrote:
1 month ago
Does any of you use dermaroller on the skin, and what do you think about it?
I've been using minoxidil for 14 months on my face to grow a fuller beard (yes, and no I don't now look 49 instead of 29 :p), the results are good but there are still spots on my lower cheeks that are not filling up, or just very slowly.

What a lot of people in the community that uses minoxidil to grow a beard do is use dermarolling, but I'm a bit worried about messing up my skin in those areas. So there's nothing bad to report in your case? I gather you're using a 0.5mm dermaroller?

Guest-1
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: none

Post by Guest-1 » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 month ago
I've been using minoxidil for 14 months on my face to grow a fuller beard (yes, and no I don't now look 49 instead of 29 :p), the results are good but there are still spots on my lower cheeks that are not filling up, or just very slowly.

What a lot of people in the community that uses minoxidil to grow a beard do is use dermarolling, but I'm a bit worried about messing up my skin in those areas. So there's nothing bad to report in your case? I gather you're using a 0.5mm dermaroller?
Yes, it helps the product penetrating. I don't know if it does anything, I just started, and to be honest I am not obsessing anymore on lines, etc. since I left HairLossTalk (at least I hope). The thing is I like to do it because I think when it hurts a bit, then to me it works (it's like eating green powder juice: because it tastes so bad you think "wow that must be so effecient", no?)

Apparently it also helps the skin in general, but it's not to be used on acne itself (if you have some). I wanted to try because it's a mechanical way of treating skin and I don't want to apply to much serums and creams.

I noticed, when we get better on one aspect (weight, hair, etc.), we tend to enter a spiral regarding looks, so I am being careful with this. I just take care of myself.

Yes, I use 0,5 mm.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 1 month ago

For the past couple months I don't wash my face with any product. I just use warm or cold water depends on the day. I use moisturiser on my face and used to apply vitamin c serum. My skin is pretty good. No dryness and doesn't break out to be honest. I could use wash and scrub to be honest but can't be bothered right now because no money.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 1 month ago

Admin wrote:
1 year ago
Anyway, if you guys have any advice on how to take care of your skin, don't hesitate to share it in this thread.
Why didn't I see this thread before lmao? I could go on for hours about skin care, as most of you know.
So I guess I can share my favorite tips, and some of my favorite products :)
It doesn't come as a surprise to anyone here that I think the most important part of any skin care routine is sun protection. I have talked about it many times before, I'll say it again - It doesn't matter if your creams and serums are all LaMer products in a diamond embellished jar, if you don't protect your skin it will be a waste of money. It makes me both sad and devilishly pleased to see all these teens-early 20s hot influencers put on their vitamin C, their serums and their expensive creams and masks, only to "protect" themselves with SPF 20 on the face only (makes my eye twitch, seriously!) and cover the rest of the body in tanning oil, completely oblivious to the fact that their bodies will age too! (surprise, surprise!)
Secondly, sunscreen is the least reliable form of sun protection anyway. Sure, I use it every day myself, but it is crazy to believe you are protecting your skin from cancer and aging if you use sunscreen but also keeps sun worshipping at the beach several hours a day.
Seeking shade is always the better option, it is indeed better to not wear SPF and seek shade whenever possible, than to worship in the sun on the daily with SPF100 slathered all over your body.
Anyway, lets move on before I make myself mad. Secondly having a good cleansing routine is alpha and omega. You have to find what works for you, some say to only wash with cleanser once a day, but for me I find that my skin thrives with washing multiple times a day. It keeps my acne to zero pretty much, and I've always had an acne problem, though never big zits but smaller ones if I'm not careful with washing.
Just use a gentle cleanser and cold water and it should be fine.
Like OP I don't use a moisturizer either. I moisturize with face sprays and/or serums because I find it lighter. I love hyaluronic acid serums for moisture.
Then, exfoliating is a staple to reveal brand new, glowing skin. I prefer exfoliating gels over grains, they are gentle and in my opinion more effective. One exception is a microdermabrasion powder, you can get it off eBay or amazon and it's basically crystals grained into fine sand, and you can mix a little or a bit more with your fav. cleanser to customize a really good scrub. Cheap and beats all the expensive facial scrubs I've tried ever.
Both for acne and anti aging I would recommend retinol or retinoids. I use Differing gel 1%, it's an over the counter retinoid that is used to treat acne but is also great for anti-aging. Just remember to protect your face from the sun, as these products can make you sun-sensitive.
My fave products RN:
- Clinique moisture surge serum
- The body shop liquid peel vitamin C
- Microdermabrasion crystals
- TonyMoly sheet masks
- Differin Gel
- Simple gentle cleanser
- Caudalie beauty elixir /Mario badescu face spray
- The body shop eye aloe eye cream
- Bioré spf / Missha spf
- the body shop vitamin C serum
- Pixi glow tonic toner