Fungal acne breakout - Skin care thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Fungal acne breakout - Skin care thread

Post by Admin » 11 months ago

God has a curious sense of humor: I'm walking around with the best hair I've had since I was 18, the best body I've had yet thanks to weightlifting (brah) and bam, out of the blue, I'm struck with what appears to be fungal acne (or Pityrosporum Malassezia Folliculitis) on my forehead. Quite unsightly.

Thank God I caught it early enough and apparently, it feeds on sebum (so you have to make sure to keep your face clean thorough the day), on oil so you can't apply oil-based sunscreen and creams anymore, and I have to say I've been pretty careless with that lately, and the intense heat in Europe didn't help since sweat is one of the causes or aggravates fungal acne.

The only reliable diet advice I could find was to reduce my sugar intake since the fungus also feeds on that, as well as balancing my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. It's true that I've been eating a lot of red meat lately and not enough seafood. I'm going to hop on fish oil supplements again soon.

I wish I still had my zinc oxide cream which is still the best acne spot-treatment I've ever used, I ordered some but by the time it arrives, this acne episode will hopefully already be taken care of.

Anyway, if you guys have any advice on how to take care of your skin, don't hesitate to share it in this thread. My topical regimen is basically sunscreen and washing my face with water. I don't dare to apply any moisturizer since my skin already get oily naturally after a few hours. Internally, I'm taking zinc with copper (L-OptiZinc) and beta carotene to get a slightly healthier skin tone (slightly orange beats pale ghost by far).

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Re: Fungal acne breakout - Skin care thread

Post by supremegentleman » 11 months ago

Maybe try some Nizoral. I used to have skin dandruff on my chest for like a year (I couldn't be bothered to see a doctor). When I started washing my hair with Nizoral it went away.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » 11 months ago

Barely related- I had a big tub of fish oil capsules which unfortunately I lost the lid for, and now they've all gone soft. Like, really soft, you could probably squish and pop them. There must be like 200 left or something.

Are they still safe to eat? I haven't take one in weeks now since I noticed the softness.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

pjhair
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

Post by pjhair » 11 months ago

Admin wrote:
11 months ago
God has a curious sense of humor: I'm walking around with the best hair I've had since I was 18, the best body I've had yet thanks to weightlifting (brah) and bam, out of the blue, I'm struck with what appears to be fungal acne (or Pityrosporum Malassezia Folliculitis) on my forehead. Quite unsightly.

Thank God I caught it early enough and apparently, it feeds on sebum (so you have to make sure to keep your face clean thorough the day), on oil so you can't apply oil-based sunscreen and creams anymore, and I have to say I've been pretty careless with that lately, and the intense heat in Europe didn't help since sweat is one of the causes or aggravates fungal acne.

The only reliable diet advice I could find was to reduce my sugar intake since the fungus also feeds on that, as well as balancing my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. It's true that I've been eating a lot of red meat lately and not enough seafood. I'm going to hop on fish oil supplements again soon.

I wish I still had my zinc oxide cream which is still the best acne spot-treatment I've ever used, I ordered some but by the time it arrives, this acne episode will hopefully already be taken care of.

Anyway, if you guys have any advice on how to take care of your skin, don't hesitate to share it in this thread. My topical regimen is basically sunscreen and washing my face with water. I don't dare to apply any moisturizer since my skin already get oily naturally after a few hours. Internally, I'm taking zinc with copper (L-OptiZinc) and beta carotene to get a slightly healthier skin tone (slightly orange beats pale ghost by far).
I have been having skin issues lately but for a completely different reasons. I pretty much never get acne. However, last month I scrubbed my face really, really hard using a soap. The very next day, I saw an acne on my face. I panicked and bought an anti-acne face wash and started washing my face with it once a day. My acne went away on it's own but I started noticing white dandruff like flakes on my face whenever I took shower. I was hoping it would go away on it's own but it didn't. So I finally went and saw a dermatologist. The idiot only looked at me for a minute and prescribed a hydrocortisone cream without explaining me anything. He didn't seem interested in answering any question and was in hurry. Anyway,in his notes, he wrote "dermatitis".

What was actually happening is that soap excessively dried my face which resulted in acne. Yes, excessive drying can cause it. I subsequently made it worse by using anti acne face wash which further dried my skin. So what I did was just significantly reduce the number of times I use soap or face wash to clean my face and just use water. I use soap once every three days. The white flakes have gone down significantly although not completely. I am avoiding using the hydro-cortisone cream that the dermatologist prescribed as it's regular use causes effects such as thinning of skin and hypo-pigmentation. The moron didn't even tell me about these side effects. I might use it for a couple of days though just to see if it completely eliminates the dermatitis. I have also ordered a medicated soap that has pyriothione zinc as an ingredient which is supposed to help eliminate dermatitis. However, as my symptoms are very mild, I am putting all treatments on hold hoping it would go away on it's on if I give it more time.

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 11 months ago

I never even heard of fungal acne.

I used to get acne in my 20s and 30s. It was under control via facials deep cleaning 1x every 4-8 weeks depending. I had two friends who saw same woman who had cystic acne and she made their skin gorgeous with same thing the deep cleaning . I think in USA we call it European Facials they basically open your pores and squeeze everything out and sometimes carefully lance it. Hurts like a son of a bitch but worked for me. I’m sure if someone is a shitty facialoat though can fuck up and leave scars. Also now in Derm office they may have better way with laser facials. I don't know.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 11 months ago

When I got bad acne in my teens/early 20's benzoyl peroxide was by far the most effective topical. At that time it was only available by prescription in the US but it's now over the counter. Also took accutane for a time and that stuff definitely works too

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 2 months ago

Did you guys ever come across the study for overgrowth Demodex mites and hair loss? I don’t think I have that but it reminded me of the people who spoke of the burning crawling sensation before a shed. (Buckthorn comes to mind) they said it creates an inflammatory reaction in the follicle (I’m paraphrasing so can be misunderstanding).

SmootheSailing
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: minoxidil + Nizoral

Post by SmootheSailing » 2 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 months ago
Did you guys ever come across the study for overgrowth Demodex mites and hair loss? I don’t think I have that but it reminded me of the people who spoke of the burning crawling sensation before a shed. (Buckthorn comes to mind) they said it creates an inflammatory reaction in the follicle (I’m paraphrasing so can be misunderstanding).
I’m very familiar with demodex mites as I used to have a bad case of them.

A lot of people actually have demodex mites although very few mites and they don’t cause any harm, but some people are susceptible to getting a large amount of them which can cause skin problems, acne, dandruff especially in your eyelashes. In fact dandruff in your eyelashes is the best sign that you have a demodex problem. They hide in your hair sockets during the day, which leads to dandruff and sometimes lash loss.

I fixed mine with some mixture of tea tree oil and joba oil(?) or some other filler oil like that as tea tree oil is to harsh to put near the eyes, it stings a lot.

I did this for a month, initially I had an acne break out, which is when they are dieing, then it cleared up and my dandruff went away. Eventually my eyelashes grew thicker and there were more lashes than before.

Although I never read that it affected head hair, they like the pores on your face apparently.

But I didn’t look too much into it, this was before my hair loss days.

Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Post by Pat » 2 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 months ago
If he lost his hair because of that, then he'd lose his hair all over instead of the traditional hair loss pattern. I think he had traditional male pattern baldness pattern hair loss?

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 months ago

I sometimes get acne on my upper back.

I use a charcoal / salicylic acid gel in the shower. The charcoal probably does nothing.
When I remember, I apply a benzoic acid / adapelene leave-on gel on the skin before sleep.
When I remember, I apply a zinc oxide + castor oil cream on the skin in the morning.

It does help, slowly.

The antibiotic doxycycline, at a 100mg dose taken once a day, also proves helpful, but I don't like taking antibiotics long-term. It really does help with the acne, but it's probably having other effects as well. It's also annoying, as if it's taken without food it causes a massive stomach ache.