Weightlifting Thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Re: Weightlifting Thread

Post by kj6723 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 am

Admin wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm
It's not laser-based, they really suck in your fat and progressively freeze it for about 45 (for the double-chin) to 70 minutes.

I live in Belgium I paid 760€ for two sessions for my belly fat and 350€ for one session on my double-chin.

It's really worth it in my opinion as I was really annoyed by that stubborn belly fat who'd never go away no matter what I did.

I used to feel angry when people pointed out my belly or my double-chin and were like "hey man, can't you lay off the mayonnaise a bit, you should exercise more to get rid of that, do more sit-ups!"

My girlfriend knows about the procedures and she maintains I could have achieved the same results with diet and exercise. I told her "maybe I shouldn't have told you about the procedure and after 6 months, I would have been like, look honey! My sit-ups really paid off!" And she would have believed it :p.
So it's actually like $1000 per session? :shock: I have to ask man, how many days a week are you doing this? For 45-70 minutes? If you're already relatively lean you could hop on the treadmill and just do some HIIT for 10-15 min 3x a week and probably would go below 10% body fat in a month or two. Way easier on the pocket book

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 am

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 am
So it's actually like $1000 per session? :shock: I have to ask man, how many days a week are you doing this? For 45-70 minutes? If you're already relatively lean you could hop on the treadmill and just do some HIIT for 10-15 min 3x a week and probably would go below 10% body fat in a month or two. Way easier on the pocket book
No no, first session was 400€, and second one was 360€, there was a discount on the day I did it, I didn't even know about it :p.

So, my situation regarding (lower) belly fat has always been quite complicated, almost unique even though it apparently exists for other guys but it's fairly rare. I've been in enough locker rooms to know that almost every guy I saw who was at 10% body fat had the fucking flat belly that's supposed to go with it.

Not me though, 10% body fat, you think that's going to do the trick? Well I've suffered from anorexia (orthorexia) and I went down to around 66kg, for 1m90. I looked severely malnourished, but guess what, my belly fat hadn't budged compared to the rest of my body.

10% body fat, 5% body fat, 2% body fat, it wouldn't make one bit of a difference. That's why I say it used to make me very resentful and angry when people used to tell me to lay of the mayonnaise and work harder at the gym to get rid of that belly fat.

I went through everything you suggest by the way, HIIT every single day, running, running, running, fasts, whatever, the belly fat was still there.

As my surgeon who's very ethical said, that belly fat was never going anywhere without a liposuction or cryolipolysis. And boy did I know he was right. The procedure worked amazingly well as I've said, and it was only the first pass, I still need to wait around 2.5 months to get the result of the second one.

If I ever get compliments about it in the future, it will be so tempting to say "yeah, that was all hard work in the gym man!" since it's what people desperately want to believe. My girlfriend also repeatedly told me "I'm sure that if you work hard on your abs, the belly fat will go away!" Yep still talking about spot-reducing fat in 2018 :p.

What do you mean how many days a week? I had one session on March 20th, twice 70 minutes and one session on July 16th, twice 70 minutes again. You waltz in the office, he puts the device on you and you can just relax listening to podcasts or whatever. And that's it, it's done, then you just have to be patient since results will appear between 3 weeks and 4 months after the procedure.

Again, I know it's hard to understand since almost every guy you see would be rewarded by having a clean diet and HIIT, but not me.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 am
No no, first session was 400€, and second one was 360€, there was a discount on the day I did it, I didn't even know about it :p.

So, my situation regarding (lower) belly fat has always been quite complicated, almost unique even though it apparently exists for other guys but it's fairly rare. I've been in enough locker rooms to know that almost every guy I saw who was at 10% body fat had the fucking flat belly that's supposed to go with it.

Not me though, 10% body fat, you think that's going to do the trick? Well I've suffered from anorexia (orthorexia) and I went down to around 66kg, for 1m90. I looked severely malnourished, but guess what, my belly fat hadn't budged compared to the rest of my body.

10% body fat, 5% body fat, 2% body fat, it wouldn't make one bit of a difference. That's why I say it used to make me very resentful and angry when people used to tell me to lay of the mayonnaise and work harder at the gym to get rid of that belly fat.

I went through everything you suggest by the way, HIIT every single day, running, running, running, fasts, whatever, the belly fat was still there.

As my surgeon who's very ethical said, that belly fat was never going anywhere without a liposuction or cryolipolysis. And boy did I know he was right. The procedure worked amazingly well as I've said, and it was only the first pass, I still need to wait around 2.5 months to get the result of the second one.

If I ever get compliments about it in the future, it will be so tempting to say "yeah, that was all hard work in the gym man!" since it's what people desperately want to believe. My girlfriend also repeatedly told me "I'm sure that if you work hard on your abs, the belly fat will go away!" Yep still talking about spot-reducing fat in 2018 :p.

What do you mean how many days a week? I had one session on March 20th, twice 70 minutes and one session on July 16th, twice 70 minutes again. You waltz in the office, he puts the device on you and you can just relax listening to podcasts or whatever. And that's it, it's done, then you just have to be patient since results will appear between 3 weeks and 4 months after the procedure.

Again, I know it's hard to understand since almost every guy you see would be rewarded by having a clean diet and HIIT, but not me.
Fair enough. If you did it and it didn't work I can't really argue with that.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm
Fair enough. If you did it and it didn't work I can't really argue with that.

Because you know what most people would tell me, right?

"Well you did it wrong / you were not working out hard enough!"

Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:13 am

Have you checked you hormonal status thoroughly?

Like for ex; Total testosterone, Free Testosterone levels etc ,
but these two matter the most for the kind of fat you're
talking about.

Cheers
''I have hope for life man'' - buckthorn, 2018

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm

DerPapillus wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Have you checked you hormonal status thoroughly?

Like for ex; Total testosterone, Free Testosterone levels etc ,
but these two matter the most for the kind of fat you're
talking about.

Cheers
All my blood works always came back normal.

No it was really the way my fat cells were distributed.

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:40 pm
All my blood works always came back normal.

No it was really the way my fat cells were distributed.
I'll ask out of curiosity, but you don't have to asnwer of course;

Where are you in the total test range? Average-average,
or lower end of range...? Exactly..?

I'm kind of looking to ''fix'' my lower stomach fat too,
but want to know what causes it, so trying to compare here...

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm

DerPapillus wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm
I'll ask out of curiosity, but you don't have to asnwer of course;

Where are you in the total test range? Average-average,
or lower end of range...? Exactly..?

I'm kind of looking to ''fix'' my lower stomach fat too,
but want to know what causes it, so trying to compare here...
It's most likely fat distribution for you too. You can save yourself a lot of mental torture and bitterness if you just go for the kind of procedure I went for.

I think my DHT was a bit below average (LOL) when I got tested a while back. But keep in mind that I've been lifting weights for more than 1.5 years now so it must have tweaked my hormonal profile a bit.

It did jack shit for my lower stomach fat of course. It was just those stupid fat cells that always got bloated so easily.

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm
It's most likely fat distribution for you too. You can save yourself a lot of mental torture and bitterness if you just go for the kind of procedure I went for.

I think my DHT was a bit below average (LOL) when I got tested a while back. But keep in mind that I've been lifting weights for more than 1.5 years now so it must have tweaked my hormonal profile a bit.

It did jack shit for my lower stomach fat of course. It was just those stupid fat cells that always got bloated so easily.
Yeah I'm asking because I myself have been lifting for 10 years,
and I lift quite heavy weight at this point.
Through all those years I have bulked, done cutting dozens
of times, but however much I cut it's never enough to free
myself of this fat. I workout 5-6 times a week (3 days on, 1 day off),
so I do workout quite a lot. My total test is 15 mmol/l, so lower end.
I can put on muscle, but boy does the fat come fast too.
And it's not my diet, I'm like religious with diet. Very rigid!

Thank you for sharing!

Edit; I'm 1,82 m tall, and have gone down to 70 kg (while working out heavily and good diet)
and the fat was still there, although in smaller amounts.

It's frustrating! I see guys with 10% of the effort get twice the results ;/

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Because you know what most people would tell me, right?

"Well you did it wrong / you were not working out hard enough!"

I'll admit I do tend to think people I see carrying extra fat aren't doing all they could be. I guess I just relate things to my own experience because I am able to manipulate my body weight quite easily. Maybe I'm an exception? I've already dropped 10 lbs in 2 weeks since I stopped my ill-advised bulk and switched back to low calories and added cardio back in. The weight visibly disappears from my face and stomach. I do wonder if it has anything to do with hormonal profiles as @DerPapillus is bringing up

DerPapillus
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by DerPapillus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:55 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:23 pm
I'll admit I do tend to think people I see carrying extra fat aren't doing all they could be. I guess I just relate things to my own experience because I am able to manipulate my body weight quite easily. Maybe I'm an exception? I've already dropped 10 lbs in 2 weeks since I stopped my ill-advised bulk and switched back to low calories and added cardio back in. The weight visibly disappears from my face and stomach. I do wonder if it has anything to do with hormonal profiles as @DerPapillus is bringing up
Regarding the ''manipulation of body weight'', it's not an issue for me either to be honest. I mean,
by now I can predict my average weekly body weight by only a fail margin of 0.2 kg (0.4 lbs)
on the basis of my diet and exercise level. I have a very rigid routine of writing down kcal's
and sleep patterns etc. Also I eat pretty much the same stuff on every given day of the week,
making exeptions only for big holidays/birthdays/traveling. Been doing this for such a long
time with only minor tweaks the past 2-3 years after the initial big tweaks of try-fail period,
aka noob period.

Anyway, I tend to only gain about max 0,5kg (1lbs) a week when bulking, any faster than that
and it will make lots of fat instead of muscle. When cutting, I do it faster, especially in the beginning.

My concern (not a big deal really, kind of perfectionst to be honest) is the stubborn fat on the lower stomach
whick just won't go away entirily. I mean, I know I do things right by now it's not the intensity/posture/
lack of base extercises etc. Not diet either. I have my blood work done at least once a year just to
keep track of general health, but also because I'm very into fitness.

Why did I ask Bear about hormonal levels? It's long ago well established in medical literature that
the, like testosterone levels are the mom and the dad of fat % in body, but also it's distribution. Look
no further than what the ''no TRT anymore''-rule did to some MMA fighters couple years ago. There
are some other less probable explanations like bad fat cell distribution (which happens by the way obviously),
and you also have the possibility of hightened cortisol levels (stress, anti immune therapy etc) but
most likely the fault is in your balls and the malfunction of the Leydig cells. :)

...or in your case, very good function of the same, luckily for you :P

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Chest workout

Post by rclark » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:55 am

Anybody know of any workouts for the chest?

I'm trying to get my man boobs down to a size 'A' or lower. I'm trying shoulder presses and
weights. It seems like my belly and chest fat are spiraling out of control.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 am

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 pm
Bro if this were true then baldites would have to also give up eating fish and red meat

I take 5-6 grams of creatine monohydrate daily, and have most every day for the last 2 years, during which time I have regrown a norwood. (started the big 3 around the same time)

"According to Medline Plus, there is no relationship between creatine use and its effects on hormones. Other performance-enhancing drugs can influence hormone levels because they affect the glands producing hormones. Some supplements feature hormones to boost your performance. Creatine, however, operates independently from your hormones and does not effect them."
https://www.livestrong.com/article/5413 ... -hormones/

People vastly overestimate what this supplement does. It's a SUPPLEMENT of something most people get in their diet anyway. Like taking a multivitamin or fish oil. I don't know how creatine gets the reputation it does...even my mom saw it on my shelf and asked me "isn't that steroids?" :lol: :roll: Even it's affects on working out are arguably negligible. I continue to use it because it's cheap and does have data backing it

As @Afro_Vacancy will tell you, the study that linked creatine and baldness is pretty meh
Ok so I'm finally jumping on the creatine bandwagon today. Though I'm not going to load it, I trust what you're saying and all, but it would be a bit stupid if I'm being cautious to decide to load it when simply a few extra weeks of patience will get the same results.

I'll still be monitoring my towel, bathroom sink and shower very closely though lol.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Actually y'know what, fuck it I'm whimping out (just decided this as I'm about to get my work out shake with creatine in it).

Risks of growing man boobs and ED don't scare me so much (as long as it's temporary), but I've toiled and tormented with changing different things to get my hair back, and now I'm going to risk it for some gains? Especially as my diffuse hair is far from perfect? Fuck that.

Like I say, slight tits or temporary ED then that's one thing, a possible necessary evil (which I'd of course then stop) but literally risking the hair that's on my head? Nah brah. Just nah.

And I appreciate what @kj6723 is saying about the test studies but I've been reading up all morning threads and anecdotal stories like this:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... genumber=1

As well as guys on HairLossTalk swearing that it hit them, including Dench (or maybe he was just saying he wouldn't mess with it after also hearing scary stories) but 2 guys I know in real life mentioned it casually that only a month of creatine and hair on their pillow. One in particular was late 20's and dense NW1.5, I bet he's barely had a sniff of worrying about hair loss in his life and 4 weeks of creatine and it's shedding like mad.

You're one the of the lucky one's KJ (potentially the majority are the lucky one's but still) and I've seen too many people claim it to not be concerned. Even the youtube video's I've re-watched by people who go very in-depth with studies like Jeff Nippard and Jeremy Ethier, the best assurance that even they can give is "there's nothing conclusive but be weary if you have male pattern baldness in your family".

What that essentially means, even with guys who are usually cut'n'dry about evidence and studies like Nippard - there may be a lack of evidence (because simply there haven't been enough studies) but there's enough gym bro's around me that swear it gave them a bald spot to make me wonder.

Nobody is giving that guarantee that follows up with the lack of evidence, because anecdotally it's very common to hear. Just searching "creatine hair loss" and I mean there's more info on this than basic videos and articles on creatine itself! And I've watched a lot of those videos, plenty will say it's obvious there's a link, many are indecisive, but nobody gives that guarantee that there's no link.

In the bodybuildingforum link I posted above, sure that was just a bald spot for that guy which promptly grew back, but if I lose hair after recovering from having diffuse island for years, I may as well book my hair transplant soon or it's end game.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm
Actually y'know what, fuck it I'm whimping out (just decided this as I'm about to get my work out shake with creatine in it).

Risks of growing man boobs and ED don't scare me so much (as long as it's temporary), but I've toiled and tormented with changing different things to get my hair back, and now I'm going to risk it for some gains? Especially as my diffuse hair is far from perfect? Fuck that.

Like I say, slight tits or temporary ED then that's one thing, a possible necessary evil (which I'd of course then stop) but literally risking the hair that's on my head? Nah brah. Just nah.

And I appreciate what @kj6723 is saying about the test studies but I've been reading up all morning threads and anecdotal stories like this:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthre ... genumber=1

As well as guys on HairLossTalk swearing that it hit them, including Dench (or maybe he was just saying he wouldn't mess with it after also hearing scary stories) but 2 guys I know in real life mentioned it casually that only a month of creatine and hair on their pillow. One in particular was late 20's and dense NW1.5, I bet he's barely had a sniff of worrying about hair loss in his life and 4 weeks of creatine and it's shedding like mad.

You're one the of the lucky one's KJ (potentially the majority are the lucky one's but still) and I've seen too many people claim it to not be concerned. Even the youtube video's I've re-watched by people who go very in-depth with studies like Jeff Nippard and Jeremy Ethier, the best assurance that even they can give is "there's nothing conclusive but be weary if you have male pattern baldness in your family".

What that essentially means, even with guys who are usually cut'n'dry about evidence and studies like Nippard - there may be a lack of evidence (because simply there haven't been enough studies) but there's enough gym bro's around me that swear it gave them a bald spot to make me wonder.

Nobody is giving that guarantee that follows up with the lack of evidence, because anecdotally it's very common to hear. Just searching "creatine hair loss" and I mean there's more info on this than basic videos and articles on creatine itself! And I've watched a lot of those videos, plenty will say it's obvious there's a link, many are indecisive, but nobody gives that guarantee that there's no link.

In the bodybuildingforum link I posted above, sure that was just a bald spot for that guy which promptly grew back, but if I lose hair after recovering from having diffuse island for years, I may as well book my hair transplant soon or it's end game.
Do whatever will give you the most peace of mind