Weightlifting Thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Re: Weightlifting Thread

Post by kj6723 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:55 pm
Stumbling over your words is OK, just move forward, don't be afraid to look like an idiot.

Looking like an idiot trying to escalate with a girl who already fancies you = daring and cute on top of it.
Yeah well the fool in me is of course immediately like "maybe I have a shot with her!", the same as 99.99% of guys she talks to probably think. While the more rational explanation based on previous experiences is that I would be punching way above my weight class with this one, and she is genuinely just curious about how to properly perform the exercise. She's like 8/10, taller than me(doesn't bother me but I know it bothers most chicks), with a fantastic body. Only thing I might have going for me is that I'm clearly one of the few people in the gym with a similar dedication to fitness as her. We're almost always there around the same time, she does extensive cardio and then like an hour+ of lifting, hitting decent weight for a chick with very good form.

Also didn't help that I was like half out of breath when she approached lol

For now I'll just take this as permission to acknowledge and say hi to her from here on forward without it being creepy. Reason I've always been off put by the idea of approaching women in the gym is because I know lots of people, myself included, are all business when it comes to their workouts, just want to get in and get it done without being interrupted. I did go on a date with a chick who worked the desk at my previous gym, but this was only after she made it fairly obvious she had interest in me

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm
Man today one of the fittest, hottest chicks at my gym approached me to ask how to properly do an exercise. Pretty sure I sounded like a fucking idiot stumbling over my words

What are yall thoughts on hitting on chicks at the gym? I've always steered away from it
Should've said the proper way to perform the exercise is with your penis inside her. Who cares about being creepy just be alpha and dominant bro, if she don't like it, hold frame.

You do you boo.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:23 am

kj6723 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm
Man today one of the fittest, hottest chicks at my gym approached me to ask how to properly do an exercise. Pretty sure I sounded like a fucking idiot stumbling over my words

What are yall thoughts on hitting on chicks at the gym? I've always steered away from it
I generally don't bother unless they are making it very obvious by repeatedly looking at me/smiling etc. Or especially if we've seen each other and made eye contact several times and then start to say hello, eventually I will just strike up a conversation during one of those hellos.

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:16 pm

DaveSmith420 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm
How do you guys motivated yourself to work out?

I always follow a work out plan for a month or so then give up. My weight is down at the moment but I 100% need to put some muscle on.
That's definitely something I want to know as well.

I find it harder each year to get my old crypt keeper ass to the gym.

But you know something? You guys have definitely inspired me to do it.

This is a great thread, and a much needed one to!

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 pm

rclark wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:16 pm
That's definitely something I want to know as well.

I find it harder each year to get my old crypt keeper ass to the gym.

But you know something? You guys have definitely inspired me to do it.

This is a great thread, and a much needed one to!
To me motivation doesn't really factor in at this point. Working out is just something I do. It's like brushing my teeth, or taking finasteride: I do it because the alternative horrifies me

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:29 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:33 pm
To me motivation doesn't really factor in at this point. Working out is just something I do. It's like brushing my teeth, or taking finasteride: I do it because the alternative horrifies me
That's really good to know. Diabetes will fuck your body up.

As men, we have a worse chance of getting it. Just like hairloss, women do get it,
but it's much more rare.

That is especially true as you hit your forties.

Aerobic activity is better for type II diabetes, but combined with weight lifting, it
really decreases your odds of getting it.

Also, it decreases your Alzheimer's risk later in life. Of course that's a disease that
women get more often then men. In fact, they are three times as likely to get it.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am

It is difficult to consistently exceed 100+ grams of protein a day.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am
I get 80g of protein daily from powder, it's 2 scoops (25grams of powder per scoop and 20g of protein) before workout and 2 scoops after. Of course it's very easy after this.

Of course it would be ideal to get it all in from foods but I'm in that habit of taking in a lot of powder now and I try and get around 200g of protein daily, and I usually do get the remaining 100g+ of protein from foods easily, after my powder shake. I don't really agree that it's difficult, let's say a meal like 2 chicken breasts, stalk of broccoli, cup of rice, that's not a huge meal (though not a tiny one either) and depending on chicken size it's already building on 100g alone (maybe 70-80g).

I'd even say a lot of people get 100g of protein without even really trying to. Before watching my diet I would eat a lot of eggs, cheese, drink a lot of milk, even a small pot of yogurt is 10g and I'd have that just running out the door without thinking about it. Something like a chicken and cheese sandwich would be 15-20g, and then there's protein bars of course where even small ones have 20--25g.

Do you take shakes/bars? Even on a low calorie diet (below 1600cals) it still shouldn't be too difficult to get 100g.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Bklyn_23 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 am

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:11 am
How many calories/day are you sticking to? I'm at 2100/day and find I can usually fit in 140-170 grams. Powders help.

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Bklyn_23 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:47 am

Not weightlifting-related, but I don't see a general health/wellness thread on here so this seems to be the best fit:

I was wondering if anyone else has very low cholesterol. When I was 110+ pounds overweight, my blood levels were always perfect (sugar, triglycerides, LDL/HDL ratios, and total cholesterol - the latter of which never exceeded 185 even when I was literally stuffing my face every day for 20 years with 5000+ calories/day of the worst food imaginable). Now that I've been eating well the last 3.5 years and have dropped around 75-80 pounds of fat, my levels are, according to my doctor, "better than perfect." My cholesterol ratios are off the charts good, but my concern is that my total cholesterol the last two times I've taken it (2 years ago and just a few weeks ago) was 123, which to me seems TOO low. My testosterone has been low for at least the past few years (not sure how it was when I was heavy, since I probably only had one or two blood tests in a decade during that span), in the 270-310 ng/dl range. My hypothesis, given the use of cholesterol as a substrate for testosterone production, is that my body's efficiency at processing cholesterol (or, alternatively, my body's natural homeostatic set-point re: cholesterol levels) is too low to supply enough cholesterol for adequate T formation. My physician seems unconcerned with my 123 total cholesterol number, even when directly questioned about it.

I try to eat eggs more now than ever, but from what I read your body will downregulate endogenous production of cholesterol when you ingest dietary cholesterol, so the net effect will be roughly neutral. I'd actually love if I could find a (healthy) way to increase my cholesterol level to, say, 165 and see if it had any impact on my T levels. From what I've read, only trans-fats have been shown to consistently raise cholesterol levels, and I don't wanna become fat again by gorging on those types of foods.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 am
I get 80g of protein daily from powder, it's 2 scoops (25grams of powder per scoop and 20g of protein) before workout and 2 scoops after. Of course it's very easy after this.

Of course it would be ideal to get it all in from foods but I'm in that habit of taking in a lot of powder now and I try and get around 200g of protein daily, and I usually do get the remaining 100g+ of protein from foods easily, after my powder shake. I don't really agree that it's difficult, let's say a meal like 2 chicken breasts, stalk of broccoli, cup of rice, that's not a huge meal (though not a tiny one either) and depending on chicken size it's already building on 100g alone (maybe 70-80g).

I'd even say a lot of people get 100g of protein without even really trying to. Before watching my diet I would eat a lot of eggs, cheese, drink a lot of milk, even a small pot of yogurt is 10g and I'd have that just running out the door without thinking about it. Something like a chicken and cheese sandwich would be 15-20g, and then there's protein bars of course where even small ones have 20--25g.

Do you take shakes/bars? Even on a low calorie diet (below 1600cals) it still shouldn't be too difficult to get 100g.
Agreed. I take 3-4 scoops whey protein(24g protein per scoop) a day, and even on a lower calorie diet, which I just switched back to, I don't have a lot of trouble getting 160-200g protein daily. I do think it would be a pain in the ass though to get this much without supplementing with the powder

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Bklyn_23 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:47 am
Not weightlifting-related, but I don't see a general health/wellness thread on here so this seems to be the best fit:

I was wondering if anyone else has very low cholesterol. When I was 110+ pounds overweight, my blood levels were always perfect (sugar, triglycerides, LDL/HDL ratios, and total cholesterol - the latter of which never exceeded 185 even when I was literally stuffing my face every day for 20 years with 5000+ calories/day of the worst food imaginable). Now that I've been eating well the last 3.5 years and have dropped around 75-80 pounds of fat, my levels are, according to my doctor, "better than perfect." My cholesterol ratios are off the charts good, but my concern is that my total cholesterol the last two times I've taken it (2 years ago and just a few weeks ago) was 123, which to me seems TOO low. My testosterone has been low for at least the past few years (not sure how it was when I was heavy, since I probably only had one or two blood tests in a decade during that span), in the 270-310 ng/dl range. My hypothesis, given the use of cholesterol as a substrate for testosterone production, is that my body's efficiency at processing cholesterol (or, alternatively, my body's natural homeostatic set-point re: cholesterol levels) is too low to supply enough cholesterol for adequate T formation. My physician seems unconcerned with my 123 total cholesterol number, even when directly questioned about it.

I try to eat eggs more now than ever, but from what I read your body will downregulate endogenous production of cholesterol when you ingest dietary cholesterol, so the net effect will be roughly neutral. I'd actually love if I could find a (healthy) way to increase my cholesterol level to, say, 165 and see if it had any impact on my T levels. From what I've read, only trans-fats have been shown to consistently raise cholesterol levels, and I don't wanna become fat again by gorging on those types of foods.
Dietary cholesterol has very little to do with blood cholesterol, your body will make cholesterol based on the foods that you eat. If you want more cholesterol, I recommend that you add some combination of olive oil, butter, and coconut oil to your diet. You might try taking 2 tablespoons a day of coconut oil for a couple months and then re-testing your cholesterol.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:09 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm
Work them out like you would any other body part with which you're goal is hypertrophy, so with a weight at which you're hitting failure primarily in the 8-12 rep range. This will give you the "blocky abs" look which will set you apart from people who just have low body fat

My go to is the weighted crunch machine as I am able get a very good contraction from this. When I do these I'll hold the contraction and feel the squeeze for a couple seconds on each rep. You can also do weighted leg raises, pull downs with the cable into a crunch position, whatever you're getting a good contraction from. I also like to do some weighted planks, with a plate on my back (much better than having to hold a plank for ridiculous amounts of time to get any worthwhile benefit out of it)
Damn that was to the point and quite efficient actually, the key with the weighted crunch machine was really to hold it for a couple of seconds. I notice that my abs hurt the day after so that's a victory. And it also seems that they recover quite fast. I'm quite excited about working on them while seeing my belly fat melt away thanks to the cryolipolysis sessions.

As my surgeon said, the effects will never be as dramatic as a traditional liposuction but being able to make 50-60% of your stubborn belly fat disappear with this cheap non-invasive procedure is quite a miracle to me. I already got the full effect of my first session and I'm amazed. He told me that the second session would be it and that it was already becoming hard to suck in enough fat, so he had to put a piece of metal in the applicator.

I could say I wish I did this sooner but not exactly, it's not like all doctors doing this are equally competent and safe. This one started his private practice in 2017 and I just got lucky I guess. Anyway it was just frustrating to work on my abs before since I knew they'd always be hidden, that's why I wouldn't even work on them, but of course my core has already been trained to an extent through other exercises.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by Bklyn_23 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 am

Admin wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:09 pm
I'm quite excited about working on them while seeing my belly fat melt away thanks to the cryolipolysis sessions.

As my surgeon said, the effects will never be as dramatic as a traditional liposuction but being able to make 50-60% of your stubborn belly fat disappear with this cheap non-invasive procedure is quite a miracle to me. I already got the full effect of my first session and I'm amazed. He told me that the second session would be it and that it was already becoming hard to suck in enough fat, so he had to put a piece of metal in the applicator.
Is this that laser-based treatment that's also called "cool sculpting"? My mom has told me to look into that a couple of times. I think it's around $1000-1500 per session, and apparently it "melts" away fat.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Bklyn_23 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 am
Is this that laser-based treatment that's also called "coolsculpting"? My mom has told me to look into that a couple of times. I think it's around $1000-1500 per session, and apparently it "melts" away fat.
It's not laser-based, they really suck in your fat and progressively freeze it for about 45 (for the double-chin) to 70 minutes.

I live in Belgium I paid 760€ for two sessions for my belly fat and 350€ for one session on my double-chin.

It's really worth it in my opinion as I was really annoyed by that stubborn belly fat who'd never go away no matter what I did.

I used to feel angry when people pointed out my belly or my double-chin and were like "hey man, can't you lay off the mayonnaise a bit, you should exercise more to get rid of that, do more sit-ups!"

My girlfriend knows about the procedures and she maintains I could have achieved the same results with diet and exercise. I told her "maybe I shouldn't have told you about the procedure and after 6 months, I would have been like, look honey! My sit-ups really paid off!" And she would have believed it :p.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.