Weightlifting Thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Re: Weightlifting Thread

Post by rclark » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:34 pm

I've just started lifting again. I have to say, I feel so much better. That and starting a cardio
workout again seems to do it for me.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Post by kj6723 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:34 pm
It sounded like Blklyn was doing 90mins of actual lifting (because he was talking about how to add cardio to the 90mins).

The Lesnar thing was a joke, and totally ridiculous how he, Cormier and Rogan all had big smiles on their faces, because they couldn't hold back how stupid this was. Like everyone's obviously pointing out, the UFC is becoming the WWE, except some people seem excited by this prospect, and the WWE has sucked for over 15 years (and that's within it's own confines, never mind trying to warp an actual un-scripted sport to being slightly more about entertainment).

OK it's essentially harmless right now, I mean I don't really give a fuck what happens after the fight, but if they go down this path of mixing the sport with the entertainment, it spells disaster for the sport, possibly financially as well.
Man they haven't cared about being viewed as a legitimized sport for like 2 years at least. UFC has basically just embraced the fact that cage fighting is a spectacle and it's all about the money fights. A very different time since the days when GSP and Silva defended their titles against countless top contenders one after the other. Anyway I actually find myself greatly enjoying the soap opera drama bullshit they build up, I can't help myself. The downside being that we have all these elite dudes waiting to fight the champion and they never do

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Post by White Ferrari » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:33 pm
He does do 12 reps and he does a lot of sets, so he's absolutely focusing on perfect form and I don't think he has much interest in moving up in weight. Like I said he more focuses on explosiveness for sport, he doesn't see any advantage to being able to lift heavier (though I could ask him more to clarify this). He might only do squats once a week sometimes and he's not hugely focused on much else besides cardio and training with his team.

Also I'm still only aiming for perfect form with 80kg at the moment :? but if I had to go I could do considerably more (and it would be decent enough form to officially call an actual squat, as in low enough down, but possibly off balance, rounding back a little). What sort of weight are you doing with squats right now? And how long to get there?
Fair enough. Better to go through a full range of motion than to hit them quarter range squats. But still I think that for a grown man to focus on squat for years and still be screwing around with at the most 80 kg is a waste of time. Just go smash the leg press instead of worrying about form for years on end. I personally think the squat is so overrated by the hardcore lifting bros. You don't NEED to do it as they will have you believe. Hence, I have put it on the backburn myself after years of making it a priority. I haven't lost a beat in any regard leg wise (even my squatting ability has not diminished).

I'm gonna be way long-winded with my squatting history, but you asked for it eh:
I started lifting at age 15 to improve for basketball. Since I was mainly in it for sport performance I focused a lot on squats. Even at that age I very quickly surpassed 80 kg which is why I'm a bit perplexed by grown dudes who are stuck at this kinda of weight (and I'm not a gym-monster at all). I was very meticulous about form so I was definitely hitting parallel back then though not ass-to-grass. However, I was using a low-bar technique which made it a very back depend exercise. Eventually around age 18-19 I had worked up doing sets of 5 with 140 kg. I would come to realize this was not a healthy endeavor as I one day fucked up my back pretty bad during squats. Only serious injury I've had in nine years of lifting.
I then embarked upon switching to a high bar squat technique which made it a much more healthy exercise for me. I was now going really deep and staying more upright using my legs more instead of back. My weights had to go down of course and I never made it back to that 140kg range. It's kind of wild to think how I was lifting much heavier at 19 than I am now at 23. But back then I was also on that full on bulk train with no understanding of aesthetics :lol:

As mentioned I squat much less frequently now which has turned out to work very well. What I do now is I switch up my training a lot more. I have three different training cycles that last only 4-6 weeks. Each cycle varies the exercises, volume and intensity from the others. Only in one of the cycles have I kept the squat in and even then it's very few sets. I also do smith squats in one of the other cycles though. These allow you to move your feet further forwards which really hit the quads hard.

Even with this low amount of squatting I've found my legs haven't taken a hit and even my squat strength hasn't suffered, in fact I'm finally making making some (slow) progress. My last cycle finished with me hitting 117.5 kg of very deep squats for a set of 6 reps followed by a set of 4 reps. I'm a long-legged motherfucker at currently 85 kg. I reckon I'll hit 120 kg next time around. Maybe I'll get a video of if for the forum ha.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm

White Ferrari wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:31 pm
I reckon I'll hit 120 kg next time around. Maybe I'll get a video of if for the forum ha.
Great but everyone will just be examining your Norwood.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by White Ferrari » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:15 pm
Great but everyone will just be examining your Norwood.
You don't actually think I would ever hit a gym without a cap do you?

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 pm

White Ferrari wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm
You don't actually think I would ever hit a gym without a cap do you?
I actually brave it, oddly this evening I didn't give a shit about my hair, no idea why, and there was even some females in there (some I wouldn't care to actually bang but I still care). Yes usually it's a concern with the bright lights and sweaty hair.

Actually there was one gym I really liked (and actually full of women too) but the lights by the bench press and the other benches for dumbbells were so extremely harsh I know it must have put me off.

I have no idea why they'd set up the lighting like that, the beams point directly at head height from like 4 fucking angles, on every single bench.

I don't think it's a conspiracy to say I'm sure some fucking dense NW0 Chad prick mapped this all out perfectly ans thought to himself "ha, time to fuck with the baldites in my gym, let's see the hat prisoners out in force mwahahahaha".

Well you didn't get this baldites money, prick, and I got 2 free trials actually. Keep your damn impeccable density I'm off to the big open shed to join the follically challenged brothers, with lights literally 40 feet in the fucking air.

Not many women show up there though, coincidence?
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:32 am

At my gym there's actually a lot of CHICKS who run ball-cap game for their workouts. Based on previous conversations I'm going to guess that this is exclusively a US thing....?

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice

Post by White Ferrari » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:40 am

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 pm
I actually brave it, oddly this evening I didn't give a shit about my hair, no idea why, and there was even some females in there (some I wouldn't care to actually bang but I still care). Yes usually it's a concern with the bright lights and sweaty hair.

Actually there was one gym I really liked (and actually full of women too) but the lights by the bench press and the other benches for dumbbells were so extremely harsh I know it must have put me off.

I have no idea why they'd set up the lighting like that, the beams point directly at head height from like 4 fucking angles, on every single bench.
Man my gym is like this too. By the bench press the light is literally blinding when looking up to the ceiling. Ridiculous.

Sometimes I actually don't care either and go with my big head on full display. Other times I will walk back up the stairs to my apartment when I realise I left without my hat...

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am

@kj6723 Any solid advice on how to work on your abs efficiently?

After my cryolipolysis session, it's finally worth it for me to develop my abs as they're way more visible, while before no matter what I did, it'd be hidden under an unsightly estrogenic pouch of fat.

And of course the internet and the broscience communities don't disappoint me on this one: you'll find every advice and its opposite. "Do the ab machine" "No it's pointless! Do the crunches" "You should use the captain's chair!" etc. etc.

Annoying as hell, so I'd really trust the opinion of a guy with your experience.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:43 am

Rudiger wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 pm
Every expert I've known or seen on YouTube is pretty consistent with the idea of never doing more than an hour of weight training, in fact that's often considered too much. Jeff Cavalier (athlean x on YouTube) insists on 45mins and never more than 50, which is exactly what I aim for.

90mins seems like a lot, do you do an amazing quantity of exercises/sets/reps? I get told my set count is probably way too high for a days workout (between 21-27 sets over around 9 exercises), yet I'm still often done in 45mins, once I was very limited on time so I reduced my rest time to only 20-30 seconds and I was done all those sets in less than half an hour (and I was fucking dead, was a great workout though). Are your rest times very long? I know for some compound strength exercises people can have huge wait times, but this is mainly reserved for the real experienced power lifters (unless you are one of these guys) like benching over 300lbs. I know one guy who takes over 20mins to do his bench with 5-6 sets but he has huge rest times, completely recovers, but he says he has to as he plateaued at some point down the years and to lift as big as possible he had to start taking 3-5mimd rest. He says it won't be necessary for newcomers or even intermediates, with that sort of weight you won't need to be completely recovered. In fact it may even be a bad idea for keeping your heart rate up.
I definitely concede that 90 minutes is likely too much, but it is what it is. I make gains, but of course there's no way of knowing (without trail and error re: training session length) whether I'm optimizing things. I tend to do 15-17 sets apiece for back and chest and 9-12 reps per set. A lot of my time is spent on rest, as I may have mentioned before. I rest 80-90 seconds between sets and 3-4+ minutes between exercises for the same body part. So assuming 15 sets and 5 exercises, that's ~42-44 minutes of rest alone. Then add in the actual time to perform the exercises. As for why I rest that much, it's because my muscles require that much time to recover from the fatigue, plus my wind (aerobic conditioning) is terrible, so I get very winded during these sets.

PS - I love Athlean-X. By far the best fitness channel on youtube. He's super knowledgeable.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:07 am
@kj6723 Any solid advice on how to work on your abs efficiently?

After my cryolipolysis session, it's finally worth it for me to develop my abs as they're way more visible, while before no matter what I did, it'd be hidden under an unsightly estrogenic pouch of fat.

And of course the internet and the broscience communities don't disappoint me on this one: you'll find every advice and its opposite. "Do the ab machine" "No it's pointless! Do the crunches" "You should use the captain's chair!" etc. etc.

Annoying as hell, so I'd really trust the opinion of a guy with your experience.
Work them out like you would any other body part with which you're goal is hypertrophy, so with a weight at which you're hitting failure primarily in the 8-12 rep range. This will give you the "blocky abs" look which will set you apart from people who just have low body fat

My go to is the weighted crunch machine as I am able get a very good contraction from this. When I do these I'll hold the contraction and feel the squeeze for a couple seconds on each rep. You can also do weighted leg raises, pull downs with the cable into a crunch position, whatever you're getting a good contraction from. I also like to do some weighted planks, with a plate on my back (much better than having to hold a plank for ridiculous amounts of time to get any worthwhile benefit out of it)

rclark
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil (15% AM/30%PM/ faster hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas every day.
This is the hairline and entire vertex area.

Post by rclark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 am

Bklyn_23 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:43 am
I definitely concede that 90 minutes is likely too much, but it is what it is. I make gains, but of course there's no way of knowing (without trail and error re: training session length) whether I'm optimizing things. I tend to do 15-17 sets apiece for back and chest and 9-12 reps per set. A lot of my time is spent on rest, as I may have mentioned before. I rest 80-90 seconds between sets and 3-4+ minutes between exercises for the same body part. So assuming 15 sets and 5 exercises, that's ~42-44 minutes of rest alone. Then add in the actual time to perform the exercises. As for why I rest that much, it's because my muscles require that much time to recover from the fatigue, plus my wind (aerobic conditioning) is terrible, so I get very winded during these sets.

PS - I love Athlean-X. By far the best fitness channel on youtube. He's super knowledgeable.
Good to see you here.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Man today one of the fittest, hottest chicks at my gym approached me to ask how to properly do an exercise. Pretty sure I sounded like a fucking idiot stumbling over my words

What are yall thoughts on hitting on chicks at the gym? I've always steered away from it

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Post by Admin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:55 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm
Man today one of the fittest, hottest chicks at my gym approached me to ask how to properly do an exercise. Pretty sure I sounded like a fucking idiot stumbling over my words

What are yall thoughts on hitting on chicks at the gym? I've always steered away from it
Stumbling over your words is OK, just move forward, don't be afraid to look like an idiot.

Looking like an idiot trying to escalate with a girl who already fancies you = daring and cute on top of it.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

JasonStatham
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by JasonStatham » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Hold frame and smile