Weightlifting Thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil, Stemoxydine and Adenosin shampoo
- 1.5mm dermarolling 1x a week

Re: Weightlifting Thread

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:10 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 pm
Do whatever will give you the most peace of mind
I agree. A few months ago, I went to a dermatologist for my oily skin, and she immediately wrote a prescription for Accutane.

I was like "potential side-effects: hair loss? No sorry" I won't risk that at this point, not after two (and soon three) hair transplants.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Finasteride, Dutasteride, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Post by Rudiger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 pm
Do whatever will give you the most peace of mind
I do appreciate your advice and know it's coming with the best intentions though, don't get me wrong. It's just taken too long to finally feel somewhat satisfied with my hair again (but as fellow diffusers will know, you've got good days and bad days) and I'd feel so stupid if I put a wrong foot and started shedding more. It's even why I'm so concerned with the safety of derma rolling too, if I did get an infection, I have this irrational fear that it'd scab up and that would be a clump of hair that wouldn't grow back (though this isn't THAT irrational, my hair at the fringe grows very, very slowly).

Although I say I'm satisfied with my hair, just saw it after a lengthy work out in an outdoor reflection in sunlight :oops: still a lot of work to do.

Back to the thread, and not weightlifting but cardio related as I've been meaning to burn fat for a long, long time now.

So I'm going to start playing football again soon and I tried kicking a ball around just by myself, and couldn't believe how badly co-ordinated I was, I mean it wasn't as bad after 10mins of messing around but still, total shit.

I was thinking as a form of cardio doing these types of drills:

Some of them even seem similar to core fat burners, just with legs, I dunno does this seem effective as cardio after a work out? Some of the comments talk about doing it for 20mins a day.

I guess I could just see how it goes, after a week or so it might not burn me out whatsoever, but I suppose I could do it as a warm down after some HIIT.
~get 1k likes and party~ 8-)

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:10 pm
I agree. A few months ago, I went to a dermatologist for my oily skin, and she immediately wrote a prescription for Accutane.

I was like "potential side-effects: hair loss? No sorry" I won't risk that at this point, not after two (and soon three) hair transplants.
Accutane? Did she want to start with that?

I went to a dermatologist a year ago. We started with a combination of epiduo cream (adapalene and benzoic acid), and oral antibiotics. He said that we might try accurate if that didn't work, but it actually did work.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:58 pm
Accutane? Did she want to start with that?

I went to a dermatologist a year ago. We started with a combination of epiduo cream (adapalene and benzoic acid), and oral antibiotics. He said that we might try accurate if that didn't work, but it actually did work.
I only have hyperseborrhea, no acne (except for my recent fungal acne breakout).

It's very hard to reduce sebum production without internal medication like Accutane or high doses of vitamin A which produce more or less the same effect, but always with the same potential side-effect which we don't want: hair loss.

Lasering the sebaceous glands into oblivion is also a possibility these days, but it would cost me like 1000€ for several sessions, so I decided not to go through with it.

And then there is antihistamine medication which has recently been shown to greatly reduce sebum production, but it apparently increases your risk of Alzheimer's and dementia: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddict ... roduction/

Anyway, it shows that reducing sebum is no trivial matter, and topical solutions clearly won't do the trick.
Hair transplants: 2000 graft (May 2014) and 2024 graft (January 2018) FUE's with Dr. De Reys for front and mid-scalp.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: finasteride, min

Post by kj6723 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 am

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm
I do appreciate your advice and know it's coming with the best intentions though, don't get me wrong. It's just taken too long to finally feel somewhat satisfied with my hair again (but as fellow diffusers will know, you've got good days and bad days) and I'd feel so stupid if I put a wrong foot and started shedding more. It's even why I'm so concerned with the safety of derma rolling too, if I did get an infection, I have this irrational fear that it'd scab up and that would be a clump of hair that wouldn't grow back (though this isn't THAT irrational, my hair at the fringe grows very, very slowly).

Although I say I'm satisfied with my hair, just saw it after a lengthy work out in an outdoor reflection in sunlight :oops: still a lot of work to do.

Back to the thread, and not weightlifting but cardio related as I've been meaning to burn fat for a long, long time now.

So I'm going to start playing football again soon and I tried kicking a ball around just by myself, and couldn't believe how badly co-ordinated I was, I mean it wasn't as bad after 10mins of messing around but still, total shit.

I was thinking as a form of cardio doing these types of drills:

Some of them even seem similar to core fat burners, just with legs, I dunno does this seem effective as cardio after a work out? Some of the comments talk about doing it for 20mins a day.

I guess I could just see how it goes, after a week or so it might not burn me out whatsoever, but I suppose I could do it as a warm down after some HIIT.
That definitely looks like something that would be tiring after 20 min. I'm sure it's fine for cardio

Yeah like with all things aging I'm paranoid about losing athleticism, even though I know it's inevitable. The peak of what can be built up to from nothing seems to really drop off in the mid 30's for most people, although I don't have any exact stats on hand atm in @Afro_Vacancy fashion to confirm this. It's why I'm now taking the functional mobility and cardio aspects of my gym sess' equally as seriously as the bodybuilding. I don't just want to look young I want to feel young and move like a younger man.

I started a new job and I had to restructure my gym schedule a bit, but I came up with a 4x a week plan that so far seems like something I should be able to stick to for the long term. Currently this is what I'm doing:

Day 1:
30 min jog
Primary: Chest/shoulders
Secondary: Abs and back

Day 2:
HIIT
Primary: Quads
Secondary: hams and calves

Day 3:
30 min jog
Primary: Abs/back
Secondary: chest

Day 4:
HIIT
Primary: Hams and calves
Secondary: quads

I think I cover most bases with this schedule. I hit the muscles 2x a week, with one day focusing primarily on them. HIIT 2x a week, steady cardio 2x a week. I usually also do some box jumps on some days, and I may throw in some kind of functional hip exercise as well. This whole schedule is still somewhat of a work in progress. The 4x a week thing is working well so far because I go on my 2 days off, which I enjoy and look forward to, and then I only have to deal with dreading going after a long day of work 2x a week

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 pm

KJ mentioning mobility is making me realise how absolutely useless my core has been for such a long time, and it's been the elephant in the room for myself, just can't bring myself to focus on it. In reality it's already making me plateau in terms of strength exercises, and my squat is weak as fuck some days. Generally I'm probably a lot more sore than I used to be when I focused on mixing core exercises with weights.

Even my wide grip pull ups have gone to shit, I suppose 6-8 isn't pathetic for a heavy guy, but my shoulders and back is wrecked after 1 set, the 2nd I can barely do 6, the 3rd set I'm literally down to eeking out 3, maybe 4. That's because my core strength is fucked.

I remember Elliott Hulse did a youtube video on core strength and mobility, how there's guys who can even build considerable muscle over years but if they never focus on mobility you can be damn sure they're going through hell a lot of the time, I remember one comment was: "this makes sense as to why my uncle is jacked as fuck but can't lift a small wooden table". Sounds about right, I've only been neglecting my core for maybe a year and a half, which is still a long time, but imagine putting the muscles and joints under stress for literally years or decades without any assistance from the core, and that can ruin a body. I can see it happening in myself if I never get back in the habit.

Basically I am lazy, I just enjoy lifting weights, I like the feeling, but I'm too lazy for core and it stresses my nervous system out too much (I am a pussy at breaking past barriers for the last while). Not only lazy but I want to be as efficient as possible when working out, I want everything done in 50mins or less, no waffling or stretching (as my mindset see's it, obviously this isn't a waste of time) so laziness and eagerness to be efficient is a bad combo.

I just started today with some beginner core exercises only for several minutes, and then later tried some basic yoga moves (I included both videos below) for the first time in ages. I mentioned pull ups before well now I can't even hang from the bar for literally more than 30 seconds, and even at that I'm fucked. But bar hangs are incredible for any joint pain or discomfort in the body generally, the feeling of just hanging makes your body un-twist naturally and you fix your problems without even realising.

Hopefully I can stick to focusing on core exercises, mobility, yoga, and also even just the bar hang, on a daily basis or at least 4-5 times a week. Today is just day 1, and now I'm going to the gym.

So here's the videos as mentioned if anyone is new to such things or haven't tried them in a while, but if you are in any way experienced or do core/stretching regularly like even once a week, you won't get much out of them and they won't stress your system out at all (they were tough as fuck for me though, but I know from experience that will change even over a week or 2 and then they'll be too easy).

kj6723 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 am
That definitely looks like something that would be tiring after 20 min. I'm sure it's fine for cardio

Yeah like with all things aging I'm paranoid about losing athleticism, even though I know it's inevitable. The peak of what can be built up to from nothing seems to really drop off in the mid 30's for most people, although I don't have any exact stats on hand atm in @Afro_Vacancy fashion to confirm this. It's why I'm now taking the functional mobility and cardio aspects of my gym sess' equally as seriously as the bodybuilding. I don't just want to look young I want to feel young and move like a younger man.

I started a new job and I had to restructure my gym schedule a bit, but I came up with a 4x a week plan that so far seems like something I should be able to stick to for the long term. Currently this is what I'm doing:

Day 1:
30 min jog
Primary: Chest/shoulders
Secondary: Abs and back

Day 2:
HIIT
Primary: Quads
Secondary: hams and calves

Day 3:
30 min jog
Primary: Abs/back
Secondary: chest

Day 4:
HIIT
Primary: Hams and calves
Secondary: quads

I think I cover most bases with this schedule. I hit the muscles 2x a week, with one day focusing primarily on them. HIIT 2x a week, steady cardio 2x a week. I usually also do some box jumps on some days, and I may throw in some kind of functional hip exercise as well. This whole schedule is still somewhat of a work in progress. The 4x a week thing is working well so far because I go on my 2 days off, which I enjoy and look forward to, and then I only have to deal with dreading going after a long day of work 2x a week
An arm focused brahbreh like me is confused- where's Bi's and Tri's? I guess back could cover some bicep work (underhand bent over row etc) and chest will cover some tricep, but do you not feel to continue lean muscle growth you'll need at least 1 session a week where you devote 3-4 exercises to just concentrating on those muscles?

It's good to read other people's workouts though, I just wrote out a pretty detailed one for myself (I can post it here when I'm done) and I made sure I heavily detailed it as there's always 3-4 exercises at the end of the week that I feel I missed out on.

Today I'm doing Chest/Triceps, I always do a superset on the last set of each exercise:

Bench Press 5 Sets, 6-8 Reps
One arm dumbbell press 3 sets, 8 reps
Downward cable flys + front plate raises, 3 sets 8 reps

Dumbbell kick backs (one arm) 3 sets 8 reps
Tricep pushdowns 3 sets 12-15 reps
Dumbbell skull crushers + dips, 3 sets 8 reps

I did actually used to always do 4 exercises for each body part, now that I know my body better, I don't think there's much of a point. The end of my first exercise I normally feel like the intended muscle is already responding and swelling, the 2nd exercise I'm in full flow, and the 3rd I'm getting to burn out (especially with super setting). I used to do a 4th exercise because I felt like I had the energy, which I probably still do, but that's not really a good reason when your body is overexerting itself pointlessly. I do still sometimes throw in a further exercise if I feel like I haven't got peak contraction though, like yesterday I did shoulders but after my 2nd exercise I felt instead of going straight to Farmers Walk (best exercise and finisher for shoulders by the way, in my opinion) I'd do another exercise on my rear delts.

KJ it would be interesting if you have more of a break down as well to see how you do each day in terms of exercises and sets.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 pm
KJ mentioning mobility is making me realise how absolutely useless my core has been for such a long time, and it's been the elephant in the room for myself, just can't bring myself to focus on it. In reality it's already making me plateau in terms of strength exercises, and my squat is weak as fuck some days. Generally I'm probably a lot more sore than I used to be when I focused on mixing core exercises with weights.

Even my wide grip pull ups have gone to shit, I suppose 6-8 isn't pathetic for a heavy guy, but my shoulders and back is wrecked after 1 set, the 2nd I can barely do 6, the 3rd set I'm literally down to eeking out 3, maybe 4. That's because my core strength is fucked.

I remember Elliott Hulse did a youtube video on core strength and mobility, how there's guys who can even build considerable muscle over years but if they never focus on mobility you can be damn sure they're going through hell a lot of the time, I remember one comment was: "this makes sense as to why my uncle is jacked as fuck but can't lift a small wooden table". Sounds about right, I've only been neglecting my core for maybe a year and a half, which is still a long time, but imagine putting the muscles and joints under stress for literally years or decades without any assistance from the core, and that can ruin a body. I can see it happening in myself if I never get back in the habit.

Basically I am lazy, I just enjoy lifting weights, I like the feeling, but I'm too lazy for core and it stresses my nervous system out too much (I am a pussy at breaking past barriers for the last while). Not only lazy but I want to be as efficient as possible when working out, I want everything done in 50mins or less, no waffling or stretching (as my mindset see's it, obviously this isn't a waste of time) so laziness and eagerness to be efficient is a bad combo.

I just started today with some beginner core exercises only for several minutes, and then later tried some basic yoga moves (I included both videos below) for the first time in ages. I mentioned pull ups before well now I can't even hang from the bar for literally more than 30 seconds, and even at that I'm fucked. But bar hangs are incredible for any joint pain or discomfort in the body generally, the feeling of just hanging makes your body un-twist naturally and you fix your problems without even realising.

Hopefully I can stick to focusing on core exercises, mobility, yoga, and also even just the bar hang, on a daily basis or at least 4-5 times a week. Today is just day 1, and now I'm going to the gym.

So here's the videos as mentioned if anyone is new to such things or haven't tried them in a while, but if you are in any way experienced or do core/stretching regularly like even once a week, you won't get much out of them and they won't stress your system out at all (they were tough as fuck for me though, but I know from experience that will change even over a week or 2 and then they'll be too easy).

An arm focused brahbreh like me is confused- where's Bi's and Tri's? I guess back could cover some bicep work (underhand bent over row etc) and chest will cover some tricep, but do you not feel to continue lean muscle growth you'll need at least 1 session a week where you devote 3-4 exercises to just concentrating on those muscles?

It's good to read other people's workouts though, I just wrote out a pretty detailed one for myself (I can post it here when I'm done) and I made sure I heavily detailed it as there's always 3-4 exercises at the end of the week that I feel I missed out on.

Today I'm doing Chest/Triceps, I always do a superset on the last set of each exercise:

I did actually used to always do 4 exercises for each body part, now that I know my body better, I don't think there's much of a point. The end of my first exercise I normally feel like the intended muscle is already responding and swelling, the 2nd exercise I'm in full flow, and the 3rd I'm getting to burn out (especially with super setting). I used to do a 4th exercise because I felt like I had the energy, which I probably still do, but that's not really a good reason when your body is overexerting itself pointlessly. I do still sometimes throw in a further exercise if I feel like I haven't got peak contraction though, like yesterday I did shoulders but after my 2nd exercise I felt instead of going straight to Farmers Walk (best exercise and finisher for shoulders by the way, in my opinion) I'd do another exercise on my rear delts.

KJ it would be interesting if you have more of a break down as well to see how you do each day in terms of exercises and sets.
I'll respond later in some detail

Hairblues
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Admin wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm
I only have hyperseborrhea, no acne (except for my recent fungal acne breakout).

It's very hard to reduce sebum production without internal medication like Accutane or high doses of vitamin A which produce more or less the same effect, but always with the same potential side-effect which we don't want: hair loss.

Lasering the sebaceous glands into oblivion is also a possibility these days, but it would cost me like 1000€ for several sessions, so I decided not to go through with it.

And then there is antihistamine medication which has recently been shown to greatly reduce sebum production, but it apparently increases your risk of Alzheimer's and dementia: https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddict ... roduction/

Anyway, it shows that reducing sebum is no trivial matter, and topical solutions clearly won't do the trick.
Is this linked to your hormones or androgens? I k ow with women for example who have PCOS hair loss and oily skin/acne is part of their androgens.

kj6723
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie

Post by kj6723 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 pm

My biceps are hyper-responsive to training, I actually haven't isolated them in years and they still bulge out, so I comfortably maintain them with some back exercises. Same thing with my traps, they are borderline cartoonish looking without any isolation work, so for back and biceps I pretty much only do a few Lat-centric exercises, as my lats in comparison have always been a slightly lagging part of my upper body. I isolate tris occasionally although lately I've been trying to cover so much ground in my gym sessions I haven't bothered as much, as they do get hit plenty from the presses and dips I do. Shoulders I also don't too much isolation as mine develop well from my incline chest work, which like 60-70% of my chest stuff I do incline work

Like many gym bros I spent my early years in the game over developing my upper body. It's been well developed for years now and I really haven't been trying to add much/any mass to it for a while now with the exception of some tweaks here and there. My legs only started looking truly decently in proportion with my upper body in the last year after spending a couple years really hitting them hard. I continue to put tons of concentration on them as I would rather have over-developed legs than an over-developed upper body. The over developed upper body I feel is too typical of gym-bro tool musclehead stereotype, whereas over developed legs make you look powerful, explosive and athletic

My workouts are rarely exactly the same but here are some examples of some workouts I will do:

Upper body day with chest focus:
30 min jog
20 4 foot box jumps
stretch lower body
incline dumbbell press: 3-4 warmups sets of easy, gradually increasing weight 8-10 reps. 3-4 sets 6-12 reps to failure
dips: 3 sets bodyweight to failure
burnout set of pushups with my feet up on a bench(usually only ends up being about 20 reps by this point in the workout)
weighted crunch machine: 2-3 warmup sets, 4 sets to failure 6-12 reps
Lat pulldowns: 1-2 warmup, 3 to failure 8-12 reps
5 min cooldown walk, stretch upperbody/abs

Legs day with quad focus:
5 min jog, 10 min HIIT(every other minute switching between 11mph and 5mph)
stretch lower body
front squats: 4 warmup sets gradually increasing weight 8-10 reps. 3-4 sets 5-12 reps to failure
Superset 3 sets leg extensions/goblet squats ~8-10 reps on each
Hack squats(with very specific foot placement to hit the outer quad): 3 sets 15-20 rep burnouts
Leg curls: 2-3 warmup sets, 5 sets 6-12 reps to failure
Calf press(on leg press machine): 1-2 warmup sets, 4-5 sets at 6-12 reps to failure
5 min cooldown walk, stretch lower body

I've been varying my rep ranges a lot more lately to hit some heavier weight and also to continually contract and burnout the muscle, and some sets end up being dropsets to get a decent rep count

I spend a lot of time in the gym, average is probably about 2 hours a workout. This is by no mean necessary for someone who just wants to hit the essentials and stay fit. I'm a fitness enthusiast though so I enjoy it

You mentioned pullups. Mine are actually really bad right now. Well they're not awful, but considering I look like someone who should be able to knock out 20 easily, I can only do 8-10 at the moment from a dead hang with no kicking. I used to be able to knock out 15-20 easily, although I was also about 20-30 lbs lighter. I went years without doing them and now they basically suck in comparison, so I'm going to try to improve them on my back day. It's a very functional movement that I've definitely lost, and it bothers me

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 am

Rudiger wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 pm
I actually brave it, oddly this evening I didn't give a shit about my hair, no idea why, and there was even some females in there (some I wouldn't care to actually bang but I still care). Yes usually it's a concern with the bright lights and sweaty hair.

Actually there was one gym I really liked (and actually full of women too) but the lights by the bench press and the other benches for dumbbells were so extremely harsh I know it must have put me off.

I have no idea why they'd set up the lighting like that, the beams point directly at head height from like 4 fucking angles, on every single bench.

I don't think it's a conspiracy to say I'm sure some fucking dense NW0 Chad prick mapped this all out perfectly ans thought to himself "ha, time to fuck with the baldites in my gym, let's see the hat prisoners out in force mwahahahaha".

Well you didn't get this baldites money, prick, and I got 2 free trials actually. Keep your damn impeccable density I'm off to the big open shed to join the follically challenged brothers, with lights literally 40 feet in the fucking air.

Not many women show up there though, coincidence?
So I actually finally went for it and signed up to this gym, it does help that my hair has improved this year (I think when I last went for a trial it was about a year ago actually). It's holding up better under the harsh lights but there are still moments when I see my scalp I'm the reflection, just whispyness being exterminated by fluorescence, like if you were to use the dotted spray effect from MS paint on a bald guy. I'll still definitely take this over looking bald all the time like a year ago when I couldn't even focus on working out, but reality hits me that for females they will definitely know if have hair issues pretty quickly. Also this is kind of a student gym, it is open to the public of course but the local college runs it, it's about a half mixture of random older people and also 18-22 year olds, the very last females I want to see looking at my sweaty head.

Before I was getting ready to sign up I was seriously considering running hat game in the gym, I meant to post about it actually. I know this isn't unusual for a lot of you but I never wear hats, I don't feel they suit me whatsoever, so I'd feel pretty silly in one (possibly a beanie or something, nothing with a beak).

I'd never wear a hat socially (and still never considered it even when badly diffused with my temples further back) however, in a gym it's like, I'm just keeping the sweat off my brow right brah? I mean really though, it's pretty common, if I see people there I know I doubt they'll suspect I'm hiding my hair, it's just for sweat purposes.

Anyway I've ruled against it (sorry if this was a waste of time read) because I don't feel too bad in there. Also I wrote in my quoted post how the angles are specifically aimed at your head which is true but if I'm feeling self conscious on a day or there's women around, I can move the bench out of the way or simply do standing curls instead of sitting, etc.

But still just interested to know if anyone else seeks the safe haven of actually having an excuse to wear a hat while gymming/exercise generally.

And I absolutely loved when I found out a swim cap isn't just normal, it's fucking required. God damn that's great, as the pool is the worst possible place for balding hair under bright lights and in my last gym was kind of centered around big windows like a big theatre for Norwood spotting, well they couldn't spot my Norwood ha.

Why? Because I have to wear a swim cap. That's why, it's pool rules, nothing to do with my dripping diffuse shame.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Rudiger wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:08 am
So I actually finally went for it and signed up to this gym, it does help that my hair has improved this year (I think when I last went for a trial it was about a year ago actually). It's holding up better under the harsh lights but there are still moments when I see my scalp I'm the reflection, just whispyness being exterminated by fluorescence, like if you were to use the dotted spray effect from MS paint on a bald guy. I'll still definitely take this over looking bald all the time like a year ago when I couldn't even focus on working out, but reality hits me that for females they will definitely know if have hair issues pretty quickly. Also this is kind of a student gym, it is open to the public of course but the local college runs it, it's about a half mixture of random older people and also 18-22 year olds, the very last females I want to see looking at my sweaty head.

Before I was getting ready to sign up I was seriously considering running hat game in the gym, I meant to post about it actually. I know this isn't unusual for a lot of you but I never wear hats, I don't feel they suit me whatsoever, so I'd feel pretty silly in one (possibly a beanie or something, nothing with a beak).

I'd never wear a hat socially (and still never considered it even when badly diffused with my temples further back) however, in a gym it's like, I'm just keeping the sweat off my brow right brah? I mean really though, it's pretty common, if I see people there I know I doubt they'll suspect I'm hiding my hair, it's just for sweat purposes.

Anyway I've ruled against it (sorry if this was a waste of time read) because I don't feel too bad in there. Also I wrote in my quoted post how the angles are specifically aimed at your head which is true but if I'm feeling self conscious on a day or there's women around, I can move the bench out of the way or simply do standing curls instead of sitting, etc.

But still just interested to know if anyone else seeks the safe haven of actually having an excuse to wear a hat while gymming/exercise generally.

And I absolutely loved when I found out a swim cap isn't just normal, it's fucking required. God damn that's great, as the pool is the worst possible place for balding hair under bright lights and in my last gym was kind of centered around big windows like a big theatre for Norwood spotting, well they couldn't spot my Norwood ha.

Why? Because I have to wear a swim cap. That's why, it's pool rules, nothing to do with my dripping diffuse shame.
In my experience, it's always better to face your lack of hair upfront, no hats, no hiding.

Oh sure it hurts like a motherfucker, but you get used to it eventually, and other people too. Hiding only dulls your pain in the short-term, and then you have to face reality again, and again, and it will hurt the same every time, possibly even more.

I was almost harassed by people when I decided to buzz my hair for the first time: "Why did you cut it? Why? You looked good with your hair! Why don't you let it grow back? It's ugly!" They get the message eventually though.

This is something I could never have done, hiding under a hat or a cap. Funny that now that I have a decent head of hair (except at the back of course), I wear a hat sometimes, but only to protect myself from the sun. A couple of weeks ago, I was actually eager to take it off when my friends wanted to take pictures.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 pm

Admin wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:55 pm
Funny that now that I have a decent head of hair (except at the back of course), I wear a hat sometimes, but only to protect myself from the sun. A couple of weeks ago, I was actually eager to take it off when my friends wanted to take pictures.
That's nothing, don't you get your Insta girlfriend to gel your hair and stream it on Stories?

Johnt1997
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Propecia - 0.5mg/day
Minoxidil - 5 & 12.5%
Regenepure shampoo

Post by Johnt1997 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:23 pm

I've been lifting somewhat regularly since i was 16. I've tried a variety of training methods over the years: typical bodybuilding split, 5×5, upper-lower. I have never really been sarisfied with my results. I crammed over 3000 calories a day down over two ~six month~ spells but felt likei gained too much fat in proportion ti muscle

At my peak about, 18 months ago, i was fairly strong for my size - dl 135kg, squatted 100kg for 8 with good form, benched 80 for 8, military press at 60kg, 10+ full ROM pullups. I was never satisfied with my gains though, i have a naturally skinny fat body type and i didnt look like i lifted really(i did look decent though) i weighed just under 80kg at 5'10 at this point(73kg now)

Got back into gym in the last month after my last cut ended up with me getting lazy; i go out at weekends a lot now and gym motivation took a dive. I'm back with my upper lower split and going for a less aggressive calorie surplus(2200 ish calories daily). My schedule is like this

Lower body A:
Squats: 3 sets of 5(looking for strength purely and hormone optimisation)
2 x 10 leg press
2 x 10 leg curl

Upper body A:
3 x 6-8 bench press
3 x 6-8 T bar row
3 x 8-10 incline bench db
3 x 8-10 lat pulldown
3 x 10-12 lat raise
2 x 10-12 hammer curls with db
3 x 10-12 cable push down

Lower B:
Same as A for now, will start to deadlift again at some point

Upper B:
Pullups 3 sets
Barbell seated press 3 x 6-8
3 x 8-10 cable row
3 x 8-10 db bench press
2 x 10-12 overhead extension
3 x 10-12 concentration curls

This is a routine i found online. Perfect mix of compound movements for strength and functionality aswell as hypertrophy/pump stuff. Anyone with similar skinny fat body type problems?

Bklyn_23
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW3
Regimen: Nizoral

Post by Bklyn_23 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Some progress pics below. The first pic I had posted on Hairlosstalk several months ago; I weighed around 250-255 in that pic. The second is from around 4-5 weeks ago, at roughly 245-247 pounds. The last one below is current, at 235 pounds. My goal weight is ~215-218.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by Rudiger » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:08 pm

kj6723 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:07 pm
My biceps are hyper-responsive to training, I actually haven't isolated them in years and they still bulge out, so I comfortably maintain them with some back exercises. Same thing with my traps, they are borderline cartoonish looking without any isolation work, so for back and biceps I pretty much only do a few Lat-centric exercises, as my lats in comparison have always been a slightly lagging part of my upper body. I isolate tris occasionally although lately I've been trying to cover so much ground in my gym sessions I haven't bothered as much, as they do get hit plenty from the presses and dips I do. Shoulders I also don't too much isolation as mine develop well from my incline chest work, which like 60-70% of my chest stuff I do incline work

Like many gym bros I spent my early years in the game over developing my upper body. It's been well developed for years now and I really haven't been trying to add much/any mass to it for a while now with the exception of some tweaks here and there. My legs only started looking truly decently in proportion with my upper body in the last year after spending a couple years really hitting them hard. I continue to put tons of concentration on them as I would rather have over-developed legs than an over-developed upper body. The over developed upper body I feel is too typical of gym-bro tool musclehead stereotype, whereas over developed legs make you look powerful, explosive and athletic

My workouts are rarely exactly the same but here are some examples of some workouts I will do:

Upper body day with chest focus:
30 min jog
20 4 foot box jumps
stretch lower body
incline dumbbell press: 3-4 warmups sets of easy, gradually increasing weight 8-10 reps. 3-4 sets 6-12 reps to failure
dips: 3 sets bodyweight to failure
burnout set of pushups with my feet up on a bench(usually only ends up being about 20 reps by this point in the workout)
weighted crunch machine: 2-3 warmup sets, 4 sets to failure 6-12 reps
Lat pulldowns: 1-2 warmup, 3 to failure 8-12 reps
5 min cooldown walk, stretch upperbody/abs

Legs day with quad focus:
5 min jog, 10 min HIIT(every other minute switching between 11mph and 5mph)
stretch lower body
front squats: 4 warmup sets gradually increasing weight 8-10 reps. 3-4 sets 5-12 reps to failure
Superset 3 sets leg extensions/goblet squats ~8-10 reps on each
Hack squats(with very specific foot placement to hit the outer quad): 3 sets 15-20 rep burnouts
Leg curls: 2-3 warmup sets, 5 sets 6-12 reps to failure
Calf press(on leg press machine): 1-2 warmup sets, 4-5 sets at 6-12 reps to failure
5 min cooldown walk, stretch lower body

I've been varying my rep ranges a lot more lately to hit some heavier weight and also to continually contract and burnout the muscle, and some sets end up being dropsets to get a decent rep count

I spend a lot of time in the gym, average is probably about 2 hours a workout. This is by no mean necessary for someone who just wants to hit the essentials and stay fit. I'm a fitness enthusiast though so I enjoy it

You mentioned pullups. Mine are actually really bad right now. Well they're not awful, but considering I look like someone who should be able to knock out 20 easily, I can only do 8-10 at the moment from a dead hang with no kicking. I used to be able to knock out 15-20 easily, although I was also about 20-30 lbs lighter. I went years without doing them and now they basically suck in comparison, so I'm going to try to improve them on my back day. It's a very functional movement that I've definitely lost, and it bothers me
Whenever I read other people's workouts I feel like I don't know what's going on, but thanks for posting all of it.

You're in great shape so clearly you know what you're doing but for example, I'd never start off jogging or with such a long period of cardio before heavy lifting because well, energy, and maybe you're fit enough that 30mins of jogging wouldn't dent your energy but I just don't understand the benefit of it, and then box jumps, uhm... huh? At this point of the workout? Then the 4 warm up sets man, haha I don't get it! Sorry!

Maybe I'm so unfit but I couldn't do such a gradual build up to lifting closer to my maximum, so for example with incline db press my 1RM is about 40kg (I've never actually tried, but I'm comfortable for 10-12 reps at 30kg and at 35kg could do several good form reps, so probably more than 40kg is 1RM) so if I haven't done my chest at all, I'd do 1 set with 20kg dumbbells and maybe 15 reps. Then pushups, possibly some scapula work, and I'm going at least 30kg if not my ideal target of 35kg and pushing for 8 reps (usually failure).

That's like, straight in to it, in comparison, If I took 4 warm up sets, and then a few lighter sets, and by my 7th set I'm finally at 35kg, I really doubt I could comfortably do the 7-8 reps I'd be aiming for. I guess I also don't understand the importance of doing it this way, for just one exercise, when normally I'd go through 3-4 chest exercises like this pretty quickly.

But I've been spending 2 hours in the gym recently, I have been doing my normal splits of Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps and Legs/Shoulders, but I do more of a warm up, I do HIIT between splits (so 3 sets of Chest, then 15mins of intense cardio and then Triceps) and after 2nd muscle I do 20mins or so of kettle bells, some plank and kettle bell russian twists, finished by ab crunch machine. Then I'll do 10mins of swimming but anyone who starts swimming after a long time out will know- it's just simply not possible to just start off again and treat this as proper cardio. I can only do 1 length at a time, and at first I was taking like 2min rests, now I don't need much of a rest between lengths so probably soon I could break that barrier of having to stop, and at least doing 2 lengths in a row.

Then 10mins steam room and 5mins sauna, I had no idea how many calories this can burn at the end of a workout. The whole aim of this new workout is to cut body fat by the way.

However I've lost practically any weight at all in 2 weeks. I know it's tough to lose weight but I'm disappointed because I normally lose weight easily when I put my mind to it, and I've gone from having a very poor diet (Domino's 3 times a week, other takeaways, subway, just constant takeaway food and sugary drinks too) to eating plain chicken and vegetables daily, and less calories too, but not losing much weight at all.

So I'm going to put more focus on cardio now, and not just swimming because it's not burning enough calories, but back to running too. Instead of 6 days of lifting, I'm doing 3 full body workouts and 2-3 days of just cardio and core (of which I haven't figure out exactly what yet but running, bike, ski erg machine, then kettle bells and core).

But here's the fairly simple weight lifting aspect for each day:

1 set of each, 4 reps
Monday
Chest - Bench Press
Back- BB Row
Shoulder- Rear Delt DB lift
Legs- Leg curl
Biceps- Decline hammer curl
Triceps- Dips

Wed
Legs- Squat
Biceps- BB curl
Chest- Downward cable crossover
Back- DB Rows
Triceps- Kickbacks
Shoulders- Lateral raise 1.5

Fri
Back- Deadlift
Shoulders- Overhead press
Legs- Leg press
Triceps- Pushdown
Chest- db decline fly
Biceps- 1 arm cable pull
I only just wrote this up so it's likely to change, but for me that's kind of exciting to try such a simple routine. I'm normally looking at hammering each angle of each muscle throughout the week

I'll also have a look at @Johnt1997 's workout after