Weightlifting thread

Discuss safe bets to mitigate the impact of hair loss: weightlifting, skin care, teeth whitening etc.
koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Weightlifting thread

Post by koolaidshade » 8 months ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote: 8 months ago Hopefully I can keep this plan up for a couple months:

- Weigh myself every morning, and keep a log in an excel spreadsheet. Helps with motivation;
- Fast until 12:00pm, and don't eat until a few hours before bed, on most days;
- Eat more protein. I figure if I add 1 shake a day I should be able to break ~100 grams of protein a day;
- Pilates twice a week. I had previously dismissed pilates in conversations with @Hairblues and @EvilLocks, I've changed my mind. The one that I'm doing now, it's at a yoga studio and without machines, seems quite effective at targeting abs, lower back, butt, thigh, hips, and I think that doing it twice a week should be enough to build genuine core strength.
- Weight training once every five-to-seven days followed by time in the sauna. I've designed a single full-body program where I will do three to five sets and lift to failure.
- Acupuncture once a week. Possibly useless but we'll see ...

This is neither the easiest nor the hardest program, so it should be feasible and give me decent gains. Wish me luck.
didnt read the whole thread but crank it up a bit

weight training 3 times a week, until you get desired body and then 2x a week to maintain

a few sets (3 or 4) of moderately heavy (8-12 reps) chest presses (barbell or dumbbell bench), t bar rows, shoulder presses, pullups/lat pulldowns.

sprints/jump rope/running for legs, and then throw in some ab work.

once in a while i will do squats, but my legs are already muscular and i want my shoulders/chest/mirror muscles to look nice in proportion

other than that your routine looks pretty solid, healthy

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: Finasteride, RU58841, minoxidil, Biotin, Dermarolling, Nizoral

Weightlifting thread

Post by Rudiger » 6 months ago

Note: The important part of this post that everyone should consider applying to their exercises is below in Bold, and goes from there.

I've started doing Jeff Nippards High Frequency Full Body program which is available on his site (use promo code FlameWarRudi for a 0% discount) which is 5 days a week, for 10 weeks, I've just completed week 1.

I did 2 weeks of his Chest Focus workout before realising at week 5 he goes down to 4 days a week instead of 5, with heavier weight and more recovery, but that's really for Advanced weightlifters, I'm not moving hundreds and hundreds of pounds, my joints and muscles can recover whether it's a 5 or 4 day week and I prefer 5. It did definitely help get my bench press back to a decent level though, still a long way to go though from where I was a year or so ago.

Basically for the High Frequency Full Body Program, yes there's usually each muscle group targeted in some way, but each day has a specific focus that gives a targeting of one muscle group and a focus on others. For example you can have one day of direct Bicep work (2 exercises based on curls) and then the next day there won't be a single direct Bicep exercise, but something like a Cable Row which is mainly Lat focused but you contract your biceps as well during it.

Anyway there's 2 somewhat unique parts of this program to me, the first is his explanation of why full body workouts with high frequency are potentially superior any other type of workout, especially the 5 day muscle group bro split which I've never understood (Monday Chest, Tuesday Legs, etc. so each muscle group is neglected for an entire week).

The 2nd unique factor is more important and can be applied to any type of workout:

Stretching between sets, and at the end of each exercise.

Nippard made a video about this about a year ago, not long after denouncing the idea or saying there was little evidence, but then he found with new research that it encouraged Hypertrophy. In his latest video explaining the aforementioned program, he's doing it consistently now.

I remember a taxi driver by coincidence telling me about this not too long after Nippard's video a year ago, and he said at a gym near here that the guy who owns it insists everyone in there and every person he trains, that stretching each targeted muscle group between every set is about as important as the intensity in doing the reps and sets themselves. I went to that gym for a few weeks, got some advice on how to do it (unfortunately a lot of it I've forgotten) but this gym guy based everything on Frank Zane's philosophy.

There's some footage here of a typical Zane Lat stretch at 0:47:

Edit: To be clear, note that this guy is stretching the Lat's on the right side of his back, the left arm is just holding for stability, the right arm is coming over the top to stretch the lat. Both arms are important in doing that, but the left Lat isn't being stretched, you do each individually, switch over.

And seeing that again, I've actually never felt the strain that this guy appears to be feeling, I do a similar technique with my hand placement a lot higher, but maybe I should see if I can dig deeper. Also in the 3 videos I've seen of Nippard talking about this technique, he's never mentioned Frank Zane and he usually credits such a thing, so possibly he's unaware of Frank Zane in this sense at least.

I've been doing it for maybe 6 months or so (well longer than that but consistently for the last 6 months), Lat's for me are probably the most difficult muscle to target and grow, and even though I was training for 2 years before hand (and very focused on my newbie gains at the start) I finally felt those "wings" of muscle connecting my oblique's to my shoulder/tricep area. They are now visible from a front standing position or from my back, and it's important if anyone wants to get that "V Tapered" aesthetic look. Even though my body fat level is still at 20 or 22%, with shoulders and lat's I look lean (with clothes on at least).

So for each muscle group there's a specific way of stretching between sets, this works perfectly for me (though I've never heard of Athlean X mention anything about stretching between sets):

3:44 is where he does the stretching action fully, the explanation is before that.

I explained this to some gym brah's recently who actually thought the "stretching" of a bicep involved flexing, which I guess could make sense (I guess) so in between sets they'd continue flexing their bicep with their arm, of course you should really be doing the opposite. That's why flexing the tricep makes sense to me, you don't notice it immediately, but by flexing the tricep and stretching the entire arm, you notice the bicep relaxing and elongating. It does seem strange that you flex the tricep to stretch the bicep, but makes sense.

So to make it practical- in between each set, spend 30 seconds (or whatever you think is sufficient, you may find this eating in to your Rest Time too much) on each arm, and then go for the next reps. I wasn't doing it at the end of each exercise, but now I'm thinking that's probably the most important time to do it.

Chest stretch is pretty straight forward (and feels great) traps is more of a head movement, shoulders and legs are exactly what you'd expect, triceps is a bit more contentious but I'd also go with Athlean X's way of doing it, which is hard to get used to at first:

2:40 is how to do the stretch, he explains before about grabbing "the meat" below your shoulder to feel the stretch on the tricep.

Anyway, I strongly recommend this, the bicep stretch for me has also given noticeable peaks that weren't there months ago. My biceps haven't gotten considerably bigger, but it's definitely improved in it's clear shape of what you want a bicep to look like.
Look, fat...

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

Just bought a bench/squat rack which also has spotter bars and an adjustable dip station, for a really good price. I did forget how much a barbell and plates cost (well I knew they weren't cheap but forgot they were this expensive).

I should have everything this week though, so I'll be able to do fully squats, bench, overhead press and deadlift as I would in my gym. The only thing is, will I need to return to my gym? I've always known in the back of my head that's why I put off the idea of full on home gymming, it's not like I'm hugely social with people at the gym but I like going down there, big open atmosphere etc. On the other hand I can watch TV at home while I get gains.

Though I do pretty much always use the steam room and jacuzzi after every single work out now, so I guess there will always be that reason to force myself to go to the gym. I know it sounds weird "force myself" but although being at home would be more convenient, there is still something more motivating being in a gym atmosphere.
Look, fat...

Admin
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: 3 FUE hair transplants (5124 grafts), 5% minoxidil, hope.

Weightlifting thread

Post by Admin » 6 months ago

I thought I would do the same tomorrow but it's already too late, the fitness stores are all closed.

gymcel_pepe.jpg
gymcel_pepe.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
:christian-cross: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

Admin wrote: 6 months ago I thought I would do the same tomorrow but it's already too late, the fitness stores are all closed.

gymcel_pepe.jpg
I ordered everything online, saved a lot of money. But you didn't really use free weights anyway? Unless that changed. The most difficult thing is having a safe set up for doing the big compound exercises, if you're not worried about that then you don't need much.

I'll give you the basics in order of what's cheapest and easiest to store, to what can be most effective at home, but you might be fine with just some dumbbells for a while and then find yourself wanting to add to it:

-bands; it can be surprisingly difficult to find decent ones, make sure you look up the size of the band when buying online as they look like large loop bands (like the type you can put your feet in to do a pull up for example, which is what you want, pic below) but turn out to be very short and tense bands for stretches. Check if the length is towards a metre, then you can use these bands for anything, various types of bicep curls, tricep extensions and kickbacks, chest flyes or pullovers, overhead presses or lateral raises, lat pulldowns or rows, leg/glutes and adding resistance to bodyweight squats or lunges (highly important in adding muscle to your legs if you don't have heavy weights). That covers practically everything, but the downside? No progressive overload by adding weight, it's hard to gauge if your strength is improving, can be difficult in motivating yourself to push further if you don't know whether or not you're improving. Now there are different strength bands, and even ways of being able to figure out the "weight curve" when doubling over on each one, but I haven't done enough work with bands to really get in to that, info is out there though.

Don't get these which are commonly sold:

-dumbbells/weight plates; get the little dumbbell bars you screw the weights on to, not the ones that are already attached to the weight, as they are way more costly and storage can be a pain. There are adjustable dumbbells available as well with little slide weights that look awesome, great to use in changing weight and perfect for home storage, but I'm sure they're very expensive:

Also going back to bands, they can also be used in conjunction with dumbbells and barbells, some guys insist on almost always using weights with bands even in the gym where they can use more weight anyway. They like the tension throughout each movement and at the top of the concentric, so for home use when limited on weights and compound exercises, combining bands with weights can totally replicate big compound exercises.

-kettlebells, one decent weight kettlebell can do a lot (16kg or so, you'll quickly get used to it) and maybe 2 other smaller weighted ones like 6kg or 8kg. Great for building lean muscle but only if your diet is really on point, a lot of people don't take this in to consideration and do kettle bells for months, usually just getting skinny. Your macros need to be followed closely, protein obviously important but overall calorific intake needs to be on the high side and consistent.

-EZ bar (or a mini barbell, I don't see why anyone would not choose the EZ bar if getting a 4 foot barbell though) not only important for mixing it up between dumbbells for curls, overhead presses, skillcrushers etc, but in doing resistance circuits so much better than using dumbbells. But with curls for example, you're never going to go up much in weight with dumbbells, but with a bicep barbell curl, you strengthen your entire core and legs when you keep pushing the weight up.

-pull up bar, get one with the wide grip extension which is a little more expensive but doubles the use of it. Wide grip pull ups are great for lats, chin ups great for biceps (a lot consider this the ultimate bicep exercise and very underrated)

-a bench, substitutes can be used but can be unsafe in surprising ways. Used ones would be fine if we didn't have coronachan at the moment. Can be used for dips too.

Apart from that you can also use- nothing. You can use progressive overload with bodyweight exercises, look up Prisoners Workout (I think it's called simply) you do things like a push up with your feet elevated on a chair, then push them against a wall over time, eventually you're nearly upside down, and work to doing hand stand push ups.

Also for cardio, jump rope is king (look up how to buy one with little drag as well) and there's lots of variations of doing it as well. On top of that mixing between jump rope and kettlebell exercises (or dumbbell as substitute) gives a ton of combinations you'll never get bored of.

Added in 7 hours 22 seconds:
This video is a perfect example of how to use bands for resistance and hypertrophy, strength? Not so much, but certainly muscle gain:

Today I tried the squats at 0:50 double banded, and it was hard getting them above my head and felt like my body or arms could cave in, maybe the first handful of reps doesn't feel like the same exertion of a barbell squat, but certainly by rep 10 it will. Those deadlifts also look like a great substitute.

@kj6723 I can't remember from the other thread if you said during coronafest that you're doing bands or just bodyweight? As my last post and this one shows, I don't think you should lose any mass if you use bands right, preferably with dumbbells too but either/or.
Look, fat...

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: dutasteride, minoxidil, nizoral

Weightlifting thread

Post by kj6723 » 6 months ago

Rudiger wrote: 6 months ago @kj6723 I can't remember from the other thread if you said during coronafest that you're doing bands or just bodyweight? As my last post and this one shows, I don't think you should lose any mass if you use bands right, preferably with dumbbells too but either/or.
I’m just doing body weight. For upper body I have actually found in the past that just doing different variations of push-ups and pull-ups(I’ve got a pull-up bar with some different hand placement options) in high volume retains mass decently. Legs will probably be more difficult, but I’m planning to do some circuits combining sprints with jump squats, jumping lunges etc with no rest between exercises as it should provide some overload simulation. Obviously it’s not the same but it’s something

My girlfriend, who’s been staying with me during this has some kettlebells and dumbbells/plates at her place we are planning to grab when we make a run there this week to pick up some supplies

I expect this all to last way more than 2 weeks so I’m shifting my mindset to these kind of routines for the long haul. Hopefully I’m wrong

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

kj6723 wrote: 6 months ago I’m just doing body weight. For upper body I have actually found in the past that just doing different variations of push-ups and pull-ups(I’ve got a pull-up bar with some different hand placement options) in high volume retains mass decently. Legs will probably be more difficult, but I’m planning to do some circuits combining sprints with jump squats, jumping lunges etc with no rest between exercises as it should provide some overload simulation. Obviously it’s not the same but it’s something

My girlfriend, who’s been staying with me during this has some kettlebells and dumbbells/plates at her place we are planning to grab when we make a run there this week to pick up some supplies

I expect this all to last way more than 2 weeks so I’m shifting my mindset to these kind of routines for the long haul. Hopefully I’m wrong
Ok I see.

Well if you can't get enough weights or can safely use enough weight for squats or deadlift, I recommend bands as per the last video I just posted.

This guys channel is good too:

He is selling a resistance band program at a redonkulous $130 so his agenda is clear, and there's no way am I trusting he's been using exclusively bands for 2 years, however his info and tips for using bands is the most consistent I've seen.

I just can't imagine someone of that size/definition religiously sticking to just bands and keeping those results, and he even claims progression.

P.s. when you described making a run to your girlfriend's for supplies you made it sound like taking a speeding car, a shotgun and huredly getting through the zombie apocalypse crowds.
Look, fat...

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Weightlifting thread

Rudiger wrote: 6 months ago Ok I see.

Well if you can't get enough weights or can safely use enough weight for squats or deadlift, I recommend bands as per the last video I just posted.

This guys channel is good too:

He is selling a resistance band program at a redonkulous $130 so his agenda is clear, and there's no way am I trusting he's been using exclusively bands for 2 years, however his info and tips for using bands is the most consistent I've seen.

I just can't imagine someone of that size/definition religiously sticking to just bands and keeping those results, and he even claims progression.

P.s. when you described making a run to your girlfriend's for supplies you made it sound like taking a speeding car, a shotgun and huredly getting through the zombie apocalypse crowds.
Cool. Yeah I'll check out some of the resistance band stuff

My main thing that bothers me is I'm likely to lose substantial mass on my legs, as it's difficult to overload with just bodyweight exercises since the muscles in the lower body are massive and really require a lot of resistance for hypertrophy(or so I've found). In addition to things like the circuits I mentioned above there are other things I can incorporate in like single leg squats. A weighted vest would also help with all these things....I actually have one at my parent's I'm really wishing I had brought with me to my place (I'm avoiding them right now because they're older)….maybe I'll order a new one

And in regards to the zombie apocalypse run...hahaha. Yea, that's basically exactly what we're doing :D

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Weightlifting thread

So I think I've figured how to have a decent quad workout for now with minimal equipment

today I did some sissy squats:

Fantastic pump and burn in the quads. Ridiculous looking exercise that I would not do in public but definitely simulate doing exercises with a lot of weight. Do not do these though if you have bad knees lol

Also did some single leg squats.

If I can get my hands on a weighted vest + some decent weighted dumbells/kettlebell situation there will be some solid resistance for Bulgarian split squats and goblet squats

Ya work with what ya got lol

@Rudiger i May need to pick up some bands for hamstring curls

Also want to point out that a weighted vest is an easy way to add extra weight to any exercise that is already utilizing the weight of your torso against gravity, like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc

White Ferrari
Hair Loss Novice
Hair Loss Novice
Norwood: NW3.5

Weightlifting thread

Post by White Ferrari » 6 months ago

Rudiger wrote: 6 months ago Note: The important part of this post that everyone should consider applying to their exercises is below in Bold, and goes from there.

I've started doing Jeff Nippards High Frequency Full Body program which is available on his site (use promo code FlameWarRudi for a 0% discount) which is 5 days a week, for 10 weeks, I've just completed week 1.

I did 2 weeks of his Chest Focus workout before realising at week 5 he goes down to 4 days a week instead of 5, with heavier weight and more recovery, but that's really for Advanced weightlifters, I'm not moving hundreds and hundreds of pounds, my joints and muscles can recover whether it's a 5 or 4 day week and I prefer 5. It did definitely help get my bench press back to a decent level though, still a long way to go though from where I was a year or so ago.

Basically for the High Frequency Full Body Program, yes there's usually each muscle group targeted in some way, but each day has a specific focus that gives a targeting of one muscle group and a focus on others. For example you can have one day of direct Bicep work (2 exercises based on curls) and then the next day there won't be a single direct Bicep exercise, but something like a Cable Row which is mainly Lat focused but you contract your biceps as well during it.

Anyway there's 2 somewhat unique parts of this program to me, the first is his explanation of why full body workouts with high frequency are potentially superior any other type of workout, especially the 5 day muscle group bro split which I've never understood (Monday Chest, Tuesday Legs, etc. so each muscle group is neglected for an entire week).

The 2nd unique factor is more important and can be applied to any type of workout:

Stretching between sets, and at the end of each exercise.

Nippard made a video about this about a year ago, not long after denouncing the idea or saying there was little evidence, but then he found with new research that it encouraged Hypertrophy. In his latest video explaining the aforementioned program, he's doing it consistently now.

I remember a taxi driver by coincidence telling me about this not too long after Nippard's video a year ago, and he said at a gym near here that the guy who owns it insists everyone in there and every person he trains, that stretching each targeted muscle group between every set is about as important as the intensity in doing the reps and sets themselves. I went to that gym for a few weeks, got some advice on how to do it (unfortunately a lot of it I've forgotten) but this gym guy based everything on Frank Zane's philosophy.

There's some footage here of a typical Zane Lat stretch at 0:47:

Edit: To be clear, note that this guy is stretching the Lat's on the right side of his back, the left arm is just holding for stability, the right arm is coming over the top to stretch the lat. Both arms are important in doing that, but the left Lat isn't being stretched, you do each individually, switch over.

And seeing that again, I've actually never felt the strain that this guy appears to be feeling, I do a similar technique with my hand placement a lot higher, but maybe I should see if I can dig deeper. Also in the 3 videos I've seen of Nippard talking about this technique, he's never mentioned Frank Zane and he usually credits such a thing, so possibly he's unaware of Frank Zane in this sense at least.

I've been doing it for maybe 6 months or so (well longer than that but consistently for the last 6 months), Lat's for me are probably the most difficult muscle to target and grow, and even though I was training for 2 years before hand (and very focused on my newbie gains at the start) I finally felt those "wings" of muscle connecting my oblique's to my shoulder/tricep area. They are now visible from a front standing position or from my back, and it's important if anyone wants to get that "V Tapered" aesthetic look. Even though my body fat level is still at 20 or 22%, with shoulders and lat's I look lean (with clothes on at least).

So for each muscle group there's a specific way of stretching between sets, this works perfectly for me (though I've never heard of Athlean X mention anything about stretching between sets):

3:44 is where he does the stretching action fully, the explanation is before that.

I explained this to some gym brah's recently who actually thought the "stretching" of a bicep involved flexing, which I guess could make sense (I guess) so in between sets they'd continue flexing their bicep with their arm, of course you should really be doing the opposite. That's why flexing the tricep makes sense to me, you don't notice it immediately, but by flexing the tricep and stretching the entire arm, you notice the bicep relaxing and elongating. It does seem strange that you flex the tricep to stretch the bicep, but makes sense.

So to make it practical- in between each set, spend 30 seconds (or whatever you think is sufficient, you may find this eating in to your Rest Time too much) on each arm, and then go for the next reps. I wasn't doing it at the end of each exercise, but now I'm thinking that's probably the most important time to do it.

Chest stretch is pretty straight forward (and feels great) traps is more of a head movement, shoulders and legs are exactly what you'd expect, triceps is a bit more contentious but I'd also go with Athlean X's way of doing it, which is hard to get used to at first:

2:40 is how to do the stretch, he explains before about grabbing "the meat" below your shoulder to feel the stretch on the tricep.

Anyway, I strongly recommend this, the bicep stretch for me has also given noticeable peaks that weren't there months ago. My biceps haven't gotten considerably bigger, but it's definitely improved in it's clear shape of what you want a bicep to look like.
Good post. Stretching is also a staple of Doggcrapp training (yes) that was created by Dante Trudel in like the 90's. I've been thinking about trying to incorporate in my training.

For training at home in these corona times I've filled up a large backback with protein powder and wine bottles lol

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

kj6723 wrote: 6 months ago So I think I've figured how to have a decent quad workout for now with minimal equipment

today I did some sissy squats:

Fantastic pump and burn in the quads. Ridiculous looking exercise that I would not do in public but definitely simulate doing exercises with a lot of weight. Do not do these though if you have bad knees lol

Also did some single leg squats.

If I can get my hands on a weighted vest + some decent weighted dumbells/kettlebell situation there will be some solid resistance for Bulgarian split squats and goblet squats

Ya work with what ya got lol

@Rudiger i May need to pick up some bands for hamstring curls

Also want to point out that a weighted vest is an easy way to add extra weight to any exercise that is already utilizing the weight of your torso against gravity, like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc
I recently discovered what sissy squats are but never tried them, I'm interested though. Have you tried pistol squats?

Weighted vests are fine but in my head I always thought they were more for calorie burning when running, with single leg squats or whatever I'd just up the weight you're carrying. I like having that stretch on the traps and shoulders as a bonus.

I haven't done enough bodyweight exercises to need a weighted vest, I'm weak with dips and pull ups, even push ups I'm pretty bad with, considering my bench is fairly good. I've started using my pull up bar regularly throughout the day, Elliott Hulse did a video on this, it's not just a strength exercise it's muscle memory, and the best way to get better at this or any body weight exercise- do it all the time. As long as you aren't doing 3 sets at a time it shouldn't leave you sore or anything, and now randomly throughout the day I'll do just 3 or 4 pull ups and not strain too much doing them, and I can feel them getting easier in just a few days already.
White Ferrari wrote: 6 months ago Good post. Stretching is also a staple of Doggcrapp training (yes) that was created by Dante Trudel in like the 90's. I've been thinking about trying to incorporate in my training.

For training at home in these corona times I've filled up a large backback with protein powder and wine bottles lol
I knew the name DC training and looked up the extreme stretching, I forgot about this idea for stretching the quads which looks perfect compared to my current way of stretching.
Look, fat...

kj6723
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Weightlifting thread

Rudiger wrote: 6 months ago I recently discovered what sissy squats are but never tried them, I'm interested though. Have you tried pistol squats?

Weighted vests are fine but in my head I always thought they were more for calorie burning when running, with single leg squats or whatever I'd just up the weight you're carrying. I like having that stretch on the traps and shoulders as a bonus.

I haven't done enough bodyweight exercises to need a weighted vest, I'm weak with dips and pull ups, even push ups I'm pretty bad with, considering my bench is fairly good. I've started using my pull up bar regularly throughout the day, Elliott Hulse did a video on this, it's not just a strength exercise it's muscle memory, and the best way to get better at this or any body weight exercise- do it all the time. As long as you aren't doing 3 sets at a time it shouldn't leave you sore or anything, and now randomly throughout the day I'll do just 3 or 4 pull ups and not strain too much doing them, and I can feel them getting easier in just a few days already.
So the single leg squats I did the other day were basically an inexperienced version of the pistol squat :smirk: I guess that's something I can try to work up to during this forced home gym faze haha. Also looking forward to trying those leg press things with the bands you sent m

I think that's basically what weighted vests are typically designed and thought of for (running, etc), but I just see it as a simple way to add some extra weight to a squat or whatever when you have access to minimal equipment

Yeah I know it's a thing that doing less than your max of pullups a bunch of times is a way to increase you pullup max. I'm still in the habit of doing most all exercises to failure, but true that is not necessarily always best

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

I've stopped Nippard's High Frequency program at week 8, I'm just a bit sick of it and the last 2 weeks are some kind of wind down weeks anyway.

Since lockdown I've gained at least 10 pounds, though there is some added fat I think a decent amount of it's been muscle. I don't look considerably fatter in the mirror. But I am 5'10 and around 200 pounds (some days weighing in at 203/4) and that's kinda been my average weight over the last handful of years, but I'm gonna focus a lot more now on trimming down. The lightest I've been in the past few years was around 180.

I'm starting another high frequency program today which I've written up (and no I don't consider myself an expert it's just not very difficult to do) and that's gonna be a lot of sets and exercises, also doing 30 second cardio between certain sets on the exercise bike to constantly keep my heart rate up.

It's gonna be Day A- Chest Triceps Shoulders, Day B- Back, Legs, Biceps, repeated 3 times a week for a 6 day week. 3 Exercises and 3 Sets for each muscle group, so it's 27 per day and 162 per week, which is kinda massive but I've done similar routines before.

Also the 3rd exercise for each muscle group will be a tri-set, I've done supersets before with this amount of training volume's but I'll see for this week anyway how tri-sets go to finish each muscle group.

As there will be alternating exercises for each muscle group each day (so chest on Day 1 will be different from chest on day 3) it means there's gonna be a ton of different types of exercises and it's all very ambitious, but I'll try it for at least 4 weeks, I'll post the full thing on here either today or tomorrow (I've only just finished writing Day 1 which I'm about to begin right now).

Added in 4 hours 51 minutes 2 seconds:
I was naive as to how hard that would be

I've done similar volume before as mentioned but it didn't involve the intense stretching and cardio between sets. Took 1 hour 45mins, and that's pretty much just lifting weights as the cardio and stretching didn't eat in to my normal resting times much (combined not even 10mins total).

don't know how this will go for 6 weeks :| Maybe do 4.

Here's Day 1:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.07 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
I also had planned out when to do stretching and cardio but only followed it up until Shoulders and then lost track, I did a handful of minute long stretches for each muscle group (so about 15 total) and several bursts of HIIT on the exercise bike for 1 minute.

Added in 22 hours 25 minutes 48 seconds:
Day 2:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.33 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Took 1 hour 42mins, despite having everything set up and prepared beforehand, actually doing all of this volume with the cardio in an actual gym would probably take even longer. But I really thought I'd be on course to finish in 1 hour 30mins, but I'll try not focus on this too much and rush my work outs.

I was unsure about doing tri-sets that focus on the same part of each muscle like I did for Back and Biceps, but they can be great finishers for muscles that are easy to forget (eg the three exercises under Biceps all focus on the brachioradialis/upper inside of forearm which can be a noticeably large muscle that you can see is disproportionately small on some guys)

Added in 22 hours 9 minutes 9 seconds:
Day 3 was 1 Hour 41mins, I shaved a minute off yesterday's time :D
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 4146 times
Look, fat...

Rudiger
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Weightlifting thread

Post by Rudiger » 5 months ago

Day 4 was 1 hour 43mins :worried: :x :thumbdown:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.03 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Look, fat...

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Weightlifting thread

Post by koolaidshade » 5 months ago

in this dark times, the creativity of gymcels will be tested to the max

some gym bros, with their male domestic partners/roomates, will resort to doing partnered calf raises or rear glute spreads

i wish them the very best, and for their "brotein" shakes to fill each others' hol - i mean appetites, during what seems like a meat shortage in some markets