Grown men and geek stuff

Since hair loss and dating are closely intertwined: discuss how to improve your chances with women.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

I don't know if this was made by Marvel fans or people satirizing Marvel fans.
EHliOYqWkAAZdw8.jpg
EHliOYqWkAAZdw8.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 369 times
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
lol at insulting nerdy stuff but not rap.

and again with the strawman. im sure he doesnt think hes watching high art, he simply enjoys it. same with me. i don't claim nerd movies are better than hipster movies. i just dont think they should be dismissed

i like a lot of hip hop instrumentals but the lyrics are horrible. and the constant shameless ripping each other off is laughably unoriginal. i like horror movies as well, especially slashers. i dont get why people hate on nerd stuff over those though , theyre both objectively a lot worse

what do you mean by the bolded part?
I don't think I wrote this well or expressed fully the idea, but mainly that these types of ultra nonsexual, non-masculine, nerdy types might become interested in fantasy rather than art in the realm of realism, relationships etc because they lack experience in or want to avoid subjects like this that they can't feel involved in. Just noticed he has a wife though ngl.

With reference to the entire history of music, this is literally a 9/10 and I'm not even trolling.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
holy shit castlevania OST is made by a woman? god japanese women . . . :oops:. how does it make you feel seeing japanese women be this based compared to feminazi white women?
I don't really see how that's "based" exactly.

All of the main Castlevania soundtracks were composed by women as far as I can recall. Including the original games.

This woman did the original NES games.

Another woman has composed for all the Fire Emblem games

Japan has the highest number of women in media composing jobs anywhere.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
I don't think I wrote this well or expressed fully the idea, but mainly that these types of ultra nonsexual, non-masculine, nerdy types might become interested in fantasy rather than art in the realm of realism, relationships etc because they lack experience in or want to avoid subjects like this that they can't feel involved in. Just noticed he has a wife though ngl.

With reference to the entire history of music, this is literally a 9/10 and I'm not even trolling.
everyday life is boring. we need epicness to really get into something. i like romance as long as theres something larger than life surrounding it. i liked the romance in star wars and amazing spiderman

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:
That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I don't really see how that's "based" exactly.

All of the main Castlevania soundtracks were composed by women as far as I can recall. Including the original games.

This woman did the original NES games.

Another woman has composed for all the Fire Emblem games

Japan has the highest number of women in media composing jobs anywhere.
thats awesome. and i meant based as in cool interesting personality and talented. not politically

look at these women vs boring generic npc talentless sjw white women. its sad

Added in 10 hours 39 minutes 25 seconds:
@JLBB just listened to that BBC song. it does sound catchy and cool but same generic lyrics about fucking your girl and making drugs. how is it a 9/10? lol. assuming you aren't trolling.

thats what im like with a lot of rap, i like the instrumentals and the way the voice sounds but not the lyrics. which is why i usually just listen to the music or the genres focused on it like lo fi and alt and trip hop.

no offense but this just strengthens my opinion that you calculate your preferences based on the reputation it gives you. this is yet another thing that has "cool points". anything you like that doesnt have any cool points?

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 weeks ago

dont get a pitbull

inb4 afro gets mugged by his own pitbull

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

@JLBB i don't get how the power fantasy thing is an argument against superhero stuff but not rap. its basically the same thing, pretending you are something more than you are. its just in rap you're a rich ghetto guy who fucks hot girls instead of a superpowered nice guy who is in an LTR with one hot girl. lol superhero stuff is like the white person version of rap in a way, if you look it like that.

its just rap promotes breaking laws and killing and robbing, and has no epicness or drama. i could never put it at the same level as superhero stuff. and the laughably shameless sampling and literally lifting sections of lyrics from each other is absolutely pathetically creatively bankrupt. considering that a huge portion of rap does that most of it is trash. its also often just generic and forgettable, the beats (which arent even credited to the producer lol) half the time sound the same.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
@JLBB i don't get how the power fantasy thing is an argument against superhero stuff but not rap. its basically the same thing, pretending you are something more than you are.
I don't know, it seems to me plenty of black rappers really are the gang-banging criminals they say they are.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I don't know, it seems to me plenty of black rappers really are the gang-banging criminals they say they are.
lol true but a lot of them are also just normal guys who listen to it and fantasize about being that.

koolaidshade
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: semen retention, real social dynamics, 12 rules for life

Post by koolaidshade » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago

you couldve picked any other hip hop banger and you pick this? some overplayed dogshit thot banger music?

a lot of incels (of all ethnicities actually) are into streetwear and the hiphop stuff too, wearing supreme, nike, listening to travis scott

this is better:

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

koolaidshade wrote:
2 weeks ago
you couldve picked any other hip hop banger and you pick this? some overplayed dogshit thot banger music?

a lot of incels (of all ethnicities actually) are into streetwear and the hiphop stuff too, wearing supreme, nike, listening to travis scott

this is better:

You are trolling or brain damaged if you think that is better.

Overplayed? Yeah. Generic thot banger? No, you just have no fucking clue what you're talking about. The album its off is full of them, that track clearly isn't.

"a lot of incels (of all ethnicities actually) are into streetwear and the hiphop stuff too, wearing supreme, nike, listening to travis scott"

Do you know this because you yourself are an incel?

Added in 2 hours 12 minutes 46 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
@JLBB i don't get how the power fantasy thing is an argument against superhero stuff but not rap. its basically the same thing, pretending you are something more than you are. its just in rap you're a rich ghetto guy who fucks hot girls instead of a superpowered nice guy who is in an LTR with one hot girl. lol superhero stuff is like the white person version of rap in a way, if you look it like that.

its just rap promotes breaking laws and killing and robbing, and has no epicness or drama. i could never put it at the same level as superhero stuff. and the laughably shameless sampling and literally lifting sections of lyrics from each other is absolutely pathetically creatively bankrupt. considering that a huge portion of rap does that most of it is trash. its also often just generic and forgettable, the beats (which arent even credited to the producer lol) half the time sound the same.
I think the comparison of hip hop to fantasy is overall a good one, but the fandom is typically very different. I don't go around wearing hip hop influenced fashion, obsess over an artist and everything they do, go to every show etc and nor do most people who listen to hip hop. There's a level of obsession that is clearly different among nerdom in things like Star Wars and superhero films. I'm not crying over fucking Migos, I'm just saying that one track is a 9/10.

The point I made before about film is the same for music, content does not equate to depth. You can make a film based on Shakespeare and it can still be terrible, ultimately what matters is the execution in the specific medium, things like acting, cinematography, editing etc. In terms of subject matter that track is very generic, in terms of execution it isn't. You're not looking at or listening to the lyrics if you think the track is generic, Lil Uzi's verse lyrically and especially in terms of delivery is likely one of the strangest, most avant-garde vocal parts to ever feature in a track that hit number 1 on the charts. He's not saying anything pertinent or some kind of great revelation but that's not the point and doesn't change the fact that overall the presentation of vocals and that verse in particular is unique and stands out. Its full of undeniably funny and quotable/memeable lines. You even admitted vocally it sounds enjoyable, its full of unique delivery styles, ad libs and flows. The overall vocal aesthetic and vocal interplay at least at the time sounded unlike anything else, that and the track fucking bangs+ is catchy as fuck. If you focus less on specific content of the lyrics and look at the bigger picture of the entire aesthetic, the sound of the vocals, vocal interplay, flows, the creativity in the beatmaking you'll get it. How someone is saying something lyrically matters as much as what they're saying.

Sampling in a less literal sense is how music developed over time to begin with, there's nothing inherently lacking in creativity about it. Artists have always drawn directly from other ideas, I agree there's a lot of bad sampling in hip hop but ultimately what matters is whether a track sounds good and is cohesive. Also yes especially in trap music there are very few great albums, mostly just singular great tracks and overall the genre is saturated with forgettable generic beats, but there are still standouts. Travis Scott's Rodeo probably the best example of a genuinely creative trap album that is high quality front to back.

You have films like My Dinner with Andre which is routinely considered a masterpiece but its pretty much nothing but a two hour dinner conversation, yet absolutely full of drama. On the other hand you have three hour films like Avengers where the scope is about literally saving the entire universe, yet in terms of actual depth, unpredictability or humanity it has very, very little. Its generic tripe created in a boardroom of superficial dipshits in suits largely just interested in pleasing their demographics, virtually zero independent expression. Subject matter is irrelevant to quality or depth.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
You are trolling or brain damaged if you think that is better.

Overplayed? Yeah. Generic thot banger? No, you just have no fucking clue what you're talking about. The album its off is full of them, that track clearly isn't.

"a lot of incels (of all ethnicities actually) are into streetwear and the hiphop stuff too, wearing supreme, nike, listening to travis scott"

Do you know this because you yourself are an incel?

Added in 2 hours 12 minutes 46 seconds:

I think the comparison of hip hop to fantasy is overall a good one, but the fandom is typically very different. I don't go around wearing hip hop influenced fashion, obsess over an artist and everything they do, go to every show etc and nor do most people who listen to hip hop. There's a level of obsession that is clearly different among nerdom in things like Star Wars and superhero films. I'm not crying over fucking Migos, I'm just saying that one track is a 9/10.

The point I made before about film is the same for music, content does not equate to depth. You can make a film based on Shakespeare and it can still be terrible, ultimately what matters is the execution in the specific medium, things like acting, cinematography, editing etc. In terms of subject matter that track is very generic, in terms of execution it isn't. You're not looking at or listening to the lyrics if you think the track is generic, Lil Uzi's verse lyrically and especially in terms of delivery is likely one of the strangest, most avant-garde vocal parts to ever feature in a track that hit number 1 on the charts. He's not saying anything pertinent or some kind of great revelation but that's not the point and doesn't change the fact that overall the presentation of vocals and that verse in particular is unique and stands out. Its full of undeniably funny and quotable/memeable lines. You even admitted vocally it sounds enjoyable, its full of unique delivery styles, ad libs and flows. The overall vocal aesthetic and vocal interplay at least at the time sounded unlike anything else, that and the track fucking bangs+ is catchy as fuck. If you focus less on specific content of the lyrics and look at the bigger picture of the entire aesthetic, the sound of the vocals, vocal interplay, flows, the creativity in the beatmaking you'll get it. How someone is saying something lyrically matters as much as what they're saying.

Sampling in a less literal sense is how music developed over time to begin with, there's nothing inherently lacking in creativity about it. Artists have always drawn directly from other ideas, I agree there's a lot of bad sampling in hip hop but ultimately what matters is whether a track sounds good and is cohesive. Also yes especially in trap music there are very few great albums, mostly just singular great tracks and overall the genre is saturated with forgettable generic beats, but there are still standouts. Travis Scott's Rodeo probably t7he best example of a genuinely creative trap album that is high quality front to back.

You have films like My Dinner with Andre which is routinely considered a masterpiece but its pretty much nothing but a two hour dinner conversation, yet absolutely full of drama. On the other hand you have three hour films like Avengers where the scope is about literally saving the entire universe, yet in terms of actual depth, unpredictability or humanity it has very, very little. Its
generic tripe created in a boardroom of superficial dipshits in suits largely just interested in pleasing their demographics, virtually zero independent expression. Subject matter is irrelevant to quality or depth.
that theres not as much obsession with rap goes back to what i said. it doesnt deal with important things, i mean how much can you really connect to some dude bragging? lol. the political rap i can understand obsesssing over though. that actually says something more than just "im the shit". thats not an argument against nerd stuff anyways. the fans are a lot more obsessive. and?

I don't know i didnt find it that memorable or interesting. sounded like most cough syrup rap i hear. decent but nothing special. i admit i could only listen to like a minute before i got annoyed though so i might try it again

i cant see how sampling isnt a lack of creativity. you're literally copying so you dont have to create, its by definition less creative. the rest of music has inspirations of course but sampling is a whole other thing. its like copying someone elses homework rather than having them teach you how to do it

i agree about the avengers. weirdly forgettable despite being technically epic in scale.

i dont get how subject matter isnt important. i agree you shouldnt judge too much based on subject but you do need something you can say something significant with. thats the problem with a lot of rap. self aggrandizement is shallow

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
that theres not as much obsession with rap goes back to what i said. it doesnt deal with important things, i mean how much can you really connect to some dude bragging? lol.

... thats the problem with a lot of rap. self aggrandizement is shallow
I can't connect with rap. I mean, a track or two here and there, or even in mash-up form is okay but rap doesn't speak to who I am as a person.
It doesn't reflect my hopes, fears, and most definitely, life experience.

I look for deeper reflection in most of what I listen to.
Save me from destiny.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
I can't connect with rap. I mean, a track or two here and there, or even in mash-up form is okay but rap doesn't speak to who I am as a person.
It doesn't reflect my hopes, fears, and most definitely, life experience.

I look for deeper reflection in most of what I listen to.
Says the guy who listens to Bon Jovi and AC/DC.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
Says the guy who listens to Bon Jovi and AC/DC.
You're confusing me with @That Guy.
Save me from destiny.

JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
You're confusing me with @That Guy.