Grown men and geek stuff

Since hair loss and dating are closely intertwined: discuss how to improve your chances with women.
Post Reply
User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1842
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4597
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago


Does the fact that that a target audience gets a lot of value out of something make it a good?



Looking at this guy for example, he is responding in a way that implies it has great depth, but does the fact that people like him appreciate something or react this emotionally to it mean that it genuinely has depth or value, or is this guy just a fucking retard?
Do I actually need to watch that video?
I don't think that it's a good example. I wrote that people who have lived in a period will respond differently to a period piece. I think that that's meaningful, certainly a lot more meaningful and differently meaningful than xXxIncelWarrior8472xXx having a religious experience to a generic blockbuster trailer.

And yes some of the people that I discussed IV with knew a lot about film.

A really good piece of art is likely (certain?) to have components that won't equally appeal to everybody.

As an example, I loved Amour, it moved me, but I believe that I would have had a much more tepid response to it had I not recently watched my father (slowly) die. I was seeing my father in Emmanuelle Riva and seeing myself in Jean-Louis Trintignant. In that conparison, the more informed and more relevant viewer is the real me who had experienced parts of the film. Without having lived the process of watched ng a loved one slowly die, I think that i would likely (incorrectly) evaluate Amour as being just another good film.

Rain Man is a classic film that transformed the popular conception of autism in the United States. I think that to people who didn't know an autistic person, it was probably just another good film. But for those who did watching that movie led to a lot of gears clicking in a way that they had not before.

I mean, I'm honestly perplexed by your comment, of course the audience matters.

PS I sighed when you recommended Parasite. I was going to watch that with my movie group but I bailed due to fatigue. Lol, bad choice.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1264
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2384
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

@JLBB are Gaspar Noé films good? I was thinking to rent Climax because I like that actress I saw her in an assasin film and thought she was cool, only good thing in it really. But it looks like it may be visually annoying/trippy. His other films same thing when I watch the previews.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

@JLBB You seriously think that guy's a retard for emotionally reacting to star wars? You're focused on hating nerds when theres rap and sports and scary movie (the series not the genre) fans out there? Lol. I wonder how much of all you guys' hate is horns effect from nerds being ugly

User avatar
Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 926
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
Agreed that they should be euthanized and shouldn't exist. Although the picture is cute and saying "fuck off" is overly harsh lol.
Yeah, maybe it was. I'm annoyed that someone can put everyone around them in danger blatantly ignoring facts for virtue signaling purposes.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1842
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4597
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
Yeah, maybe it was. I'm annoyed that someone can put everyone around them in danger blatantly ignoring facts for virtue signaling purposes.
You are completely mistaken on the subject of pitbulls, which I say as someone who has spent a lot of time around a lot of dogs and people who work with dogs for a living.

The danger is entirely with irresponsible dog owners (and breeders). If I'm ready to own a dog at some point, I will, and it will likely be a pitbull. Nobody's going to be in danger.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

Didnt pits have a genetic predisposition to aggression though? Because they were bred to be aggressive? Not sure how much of that is nature vs nurture . Human breeding (nurture) has changed their nature over time

I mean they're animals though so it's irrational to hate them. it's not like they have control over their own actions
Last edited by Exodus 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 926
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
You are completely mistaken on the subject of pitbulls, which I say as someone who has spent a lot of time around a lot of dogs and people who work with dogs for a living.

The danger is entirely with irresponsible dog owners (and breeders). If I'm ready to own a dog at some point, I will, and it will likely be a pitbull. Nobody's going to be in danger.
I'm guessing you're already informed on statistics on pitbulls, and you just choose to ignore them to fit your preconceived narrative so I won't bother with that. All I'll say is that you'll forever be on your toes around a pitbull and you can never let it be alone with children. Having a pitbull as family dog is as stupid as buying a chihuahua for hunting purposes. If that's what you want so that you can prove to yourself that genetics don't matter then so be it. Just know that you're being putting everyone around you in danger for your own selfish reasons.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
Didnt pits have a genetic predisposition to aggression though? I mean they're animals so it's irrational to hate them. it's not like they have control over their own actions
Yeah, they do. And I don't hate hate them. I'm just saying that they have no place in society today, and whoever owns them are being inconsiderate of everyone around them. Living in a fantasy world where nature doesn't matter works untill it doesn't.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1842
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4597
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
Didnt pits have a genetic predisposition to aggression though?
No. It also doesn't make any sense in this context, as genetic expression is drastically shifted with neutering/spaying.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1960
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4338
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

We're getting away from what matters the most when it comes to pitbulls, which is:

Don't get a pitbull, and don't go near a pitbull.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

User avatar
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1287
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2304
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by That Guy » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
you're slowly folding . so theres a lot of quality among this geek stuff yet you say we shouldn't get into it?
No, there's quality in the elements that make up the game, but can stand on their own.

The soundtrack to Castlevania is great not because Castlevania is something worth spending time on, but because Yoko Shimomura and those other middle-aged Japanese women are good composers.
Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
We're getting away from what matters the most when it comes to pitbulls, which is:

Don't get a pitbull, and don't go near a pitbull.
Pitbulls are the black people of dogs.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
No, there's quality in the elements that make up the game, but can stand on their own.

The soundtrack to Castlevania is great not because Castlevania is something worth spending time on, but because Yoko Shimomura and those other middle-aged Japanese women are good composers.



Pitbulls are the black people of dogs.
holy shit castlevania OST is made by a woman? god japanese women . . . :oops:. how does it make you feel seeing japanese women be this based compared to feminazi white women?

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 734
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1483
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
Do I actually need to watch that video?
I don't think that it's a good example. I wrote that people who have lived in a period will respond differently to a period piece. I think that that's meaningful, certainly a lot more meaningful and differently meaningful than xXxIncelWarrior8472xXx having a religious experience to a generic blockbuster trailer.

And yes some of the people that I discussed IV with knew a lot about film.

A really good piece of art is likely (certain?) to have components that won't equally appeal to everybody.

As an example, I loved Amour, it moved me, but I believe that I would have had a much more tepid response to it had I not recently watched my father (slowly) die. I was seeing my father in Emmanuelle Riva and seeing myself in Jean-Louis Trintignant. In that conparison, the more informed and more relevant viewer is the real me who had experienced parts of the film. Without having lived the process of watched ng a loved one slowly die, I think that i would likely (incorrectly) evaluate Amour as being just another good film.

Rain Man is a classic film that transformed the popular conception of autism in the United States. I think that to people who didn't know an autistic person, it was probably just another good film. But for those who did watching that movie led to a lot of gears clicking in a way that they had not before.

I mean, I'm honestly perplexed by your comment, of course the audience matters.

PS I sighed when you recommended Parasite. I was going to watch that with my movie group but I bailed due to fatigue. Lol, bad choice.
I'd look at the video and skip to the middle just to watch a few seconds, I asked that question specifically because it made me think about it myself due to how extreme the reaction is. Ultimately I don't think someone reacting emotionally to a film means it has any value, stupid or obsessive people can be easily manipulated. By extension the fact that many people do this over a film like The Avengers doesn't make a film valuable or either (aside from commercially).

My point isn't all that perplexing, its largely that in terms of quality people need to distinguish between content/subject matter, and then beyond that the medium and expression itself. You distinguish yourself that audience matters in the sense that people who have someone close that is autistic could potentially find more depth in the Rain Man than someone who doesn't, my point is that personal engagement doesn't make a difference to whether or not a film is good or not, it simply is due to personal bias leading specific people in specific instances to be manipulated more easily for better or worse and someone very knowledgeable about film would know if they are reacting in a biased way for whatever reason. Beyond that, someone who has an arts degree or has studied culture, film analysis etc is better equipped to judge the quality of a film like Rain Man than someone who knows a person with autism because at the end of the day you're not watching a subject matter, you're watching a film. People with more knowledge about the medium and analysing the medium know more effectively how to watch and are more open minded towards reacting to something. Film enthusiasts have different taste biases, but they have the information to make rational judgements when analysing a film and its place in history unlike casual film fans or superhero enthusiasts who largely call things like Amour boring, and avoid them entirely because they lack interest in filmic quality and focus largely on subject matter rather than the broader medium as an artform. I'm not saying you can't enjoy a film or be biased towards it because of subject matter or vague entertainment because I might do the same in some instances, but I am saying that pretending that even the best superhero films are as valuable as top-tier arthouse in terms of artistic worth is delusional and based on a lack of knowledge, and I mean that in an objective sense, they have less experience with cinema in a variety of ways so their judgement is worth less. If I like something that is shit, I'll acknowledge its shit unlike most Marvel addicts. Mubi in my opinion gets as close as anything in terms of getting consensus on film from an educated perspective.

To add to that, I can totally understand film enthusiasts not being into IV, its a very strange film and maybe not even a good one. I can also understand why people who experienced the era might enjoy it a lot more. But for a film enthusiast I can't (and virtually don't) see them not appreciating There Will Be Blood for example because people who know and appreciate film as an artform tend to appreciate similar things and they're less concerned with subject matter.

And you definitely missed out on Parasite. What did your movie group say about it? When I saw it in the cinema the whole audience were squirming and having physical reactions the whole time, you could feel engagement and energy in the room, I haven't had that with anything else to that extent maybe ever.

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
@JLBB You seriously think that guy's a retard for emotionally reacting to star wars? You're focused on hating nerds when theres rap and sports and scary movie (the series not the genre) fans out there? Lol. I wonder how much of all you guys' hate is horns effect from nerds being ugly
I don't know for sure, but I think that 95% of scary movie fans probably know it is trashy garbage but they get a mild laugh at it. This guy thinks he is watching high art, that's my issue. If this guy was a chad, I'd still insult him. I think partly this dude feels that immense emotionally reaction because he's such a virgin that anything related to relationships, sex etc is going to be avoided due to a lack of connection to them.

Plenty of good hip hop and rap out there too.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1960
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4338
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
holy shit castlevania OST is made by a woman? god japanese women . . . :oops:. how does it make you feel seeing japanese women be this based compared to feminazi white women?
Michiru Yamane:



:hearteyes:
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 734
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1483
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 weeks ago
@JLBB are Gaspar Noé films good? I was thinking to rent Climax because I like that actress I saw her in an assasin film and thought she was cool, only good thing in it really. But it looks like it may be visually annoying/trippy. His other films same thing when I watch the previews.
I haven't seen it nor any of his recent films, but Irreversible in my opinion was genius in terms of how it was written and a masterpiece in every other regard too, Enter the Void is unlike anything I've ever seen visually, just stunning even if overall it might be superficial apart from that.

I might check out Climax. It seems like a mild return to form from what I've read.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:


I don't know for sure, but I think that 95% of scary movie fans probably know it is trashy garbage but they get a mild laugh at it. This guy thinks he is watching high art, that's my issue. If this guy was a chad, I'd still insult him. I think partly this dude feels that immense emotionally reaction because he's such a virgin that anything related to relationships, sex etc is going to be avoided due to a lack of connection to them.

Plenty of good hip hop and rap out there too.
lol at insulting nerdy stuff but not rap.

and again with the strawman. im sure he doesnt think hes watching high art, he simply enjoys it. same with me. i don't claim nerd movies are better than hipster movies. i just dont think they should be dismissed

i like a lot of hip hop instrumentals but the lyrics are horrible. and the constant shameless ripping each other off is laughably unoriginal. i like horror movies as well, especially slashers. i dont get why people hate on nerd stuff over those though , theyre both objectively a lot worse

what do you mean by the bolded part?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EvilLocks and 1 guest