Grown men and geek stuff

Since hair loss and dating are closely intertwined: discuss how to improve your chances with women.
Post Reply
User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 734
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1483
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 weeks ago
I agree with you BUT I think there is room for things that you just enjoy for enjoyment sake.

It's like what's a better skill of artist? A classical realist and realism or an impressionist or even a pop artist?
A classical realist or a realism painter takes an incredibly high level of skill to do and it's a tediously long dedicated process that can take up to a year to finish a even a small piece (if you don't cheat)...but sometimes people just like to look at something pretty and be amused.
I agree with this but specifically for film I think people overstate the worth of these specific types of films because they are all they see, and ultimately they bring more harm than good. Music for example is very different in the sense that much of pop music now is genuinely quite experimental and the underground bled into the mainstream, along with that things are much, much more fragmented. More importantly, money invested in big musicians doesn't negatively effect the underground or less mainstream artists because barriers to entry are far lower. On the other hand for films, people like myself and I think what Coppola and Scorsese are upset with is the way that this seeps into the public consciousness as basically the only films they watch or get excited about anymore, film is not seen as an art medium but largely entertainment. These films suck the money away from filmmakers who want to make films as artistic expressions and for the sake of the medium as a whole.

I don't blame them for doing it when they make so much fucking money, but its sad that this is what comes to mind when most people think of movies or what is being hyped. The cinema venue is basically like a theme park for most people where they go for cheap thrills, and subsequently pretend that this somehow has depth or that art cinema is something pretentious people only pretend to like.

Added in 9 minutes 2 seconds:
Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
no offense but i wonder how much of what you say you like is pretending to appear sophisticated. i'll give it a shot. recommend me a hipster approved movie and i'll watch it honestly.

i never claimed superhero and nerd stuff was top of the line either, just not what haters say it is. theyre not shallow or stupid or whatever. its mostly the MCU that gave them that reputation, and i already said i don't even like most of the MCU. the 2000s comic movies were great. as well as the 2010s x-mens. the shows and animated films are good too.
Watch either Salo or There Will be Blood. TWBB has fairly wide consensus across both mainstream and cinephile circles as being one of the best films of the 2000s.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
I agree with this but specifically for film I think people overstate the worth of these specific types of films because they are all they see, and ultimately they bring more harm than good. Music for example is very different in the sense that much of pop music now is genuinely quite experimental and the underground bled into the mainstream, along with that things are much, much more fragmented. More importantly, money invested in big musicians doesn't negatively effect the underground or less mainstream artists because barriers to entry are far lower. On the other hand for films, people like myself and I think what Coppola and Scorsese are upset with is the way that this seeps into the public consciousness as basically the only films they watch or get excited about anymore, film is not seen as an art medium but largely entertainment. These films suck the money away from filmmakers who want to make films as artistic expressions and for the sake of the medium as a whole.

I don't blame them for doing it when they make so much fucking money, but its sad that this is what comes to mind when most people think of movies or what is being hyped. The cinema venue is basically like a theme park for most people where they go for cheap thrills, and subsequently pretend that this somehow has depth or that art cinema is something pretentious people only pretend to like.

Added in 9 minutes 2 seconds:


Watch either Salo or There Will be Blood. TWBB has fairly wide consensus across both mainstream and cinephile circles as being one of the best films of the 2000s.
do the first 2 terminators get hipster approval? what about the first 2 alien films? :think:

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 734
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1483
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
i'm halfway hipster approved. my favorite franchises are highly rated by other nerds and have some hipster approved aspects but not quite on the level of "generic french slow black and white film" that JLBB cums over.

stuff like star wars original trilogy, predator, the first 2 terminators, etc. i'm not sure how much "credibility" i have. i've tried watching these JLBB hipster films but i just dont like them. breaking the waves, pulp fiction, the royal tenenbaums, i always found them boring and edgelordey.

Added in 1 minute 47 seconds:


i was thinking of that but i didnt want to associate this toxic shithole with something holy lol. its the quintessential superhero film. pure inspiration, pure goodness, absolutely phenomenal OST (of course it being john williams and all), great casting, very romantic. the OST is some of my favorite music ever, that theme is absolutely legendary. and when superman flies lois is one of my favorite scenes of all time.
Tenenbaums is very fun but overrated and I can see why someone wouldn't like it, Pulp Fiction is interesting and incredibly influential/creative if you've studied film and art more broadly to have better context but otherwise it might seem overrated, and Breaking the Waves is fucking amazing, one of the best films ever made.

Watch Parasite maybe, its one of the best films of 2019 but its also very much made to be entertainment.

And yes the first 2 terminators and Alien films are quality.

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
Tenenbaums is very fun but overrated and I can see why someone wouldn't like it, Pulp Fiction is interesting and incredibly influential/creative if you've studied film and art more broadly to have better context but otherwise it might seem overrated, and Breaking the Waves is fucking amazing, one of the best films ever made.

Watch Parasite maybe, its one of the best films of 2019 but its also very much made to be entertainment.

And yes the first 2 terminators and Alien films are quality.
i'll check it out. that and there will be blood

and see? why are we arguing. first2 terminators and aliens are some of my top movies. my favs are as far as i know still considered "good". i'm not an MCU worshipping bugman. we're on the same page with disliking those types. i just dont think the MCU is pure stupid entertainment

by the way what about 2000s comic films, you have to admit those are at least a lot less formulaic than the MCU. the raimi spidermans and x-mens are also some of my fav movies ever. classic OSTs, not afraid to be "cheesy" , much better drama, much more character focus. MCU isnt even really for comic fans, half the time it has to make some stupid forced joke to help normies deal with how crazy the situations are. theyre more comic movies for non comic fans if that makes sense.

User avatar
Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 926
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pit bulls should be adopted not because they will make one look masculine, but because they're beautiful and loving :-)

Image

Though I am also partial to huskies and hounds.

Image
Pitbulls are a crossbreed from bulldogs and terriers. Bulldogs are bred to kill bulls and bears, the reason pitbulls where crossbred with terriers were to make them better fighters. They're literally bred to fight hence the name. Pitbulls are 500% more deadly than all other dog breeds combined. And the reason you're seeing them in shelters all the time is because they're a shit pet and they all should be euthanized as they're not fit to live in our society. Fuck off with posting cute pictures of them to try to make them seem less intimidating like they won't kill your cat or baby.
Image
And remember this graph is despite only making up about 6% of the dog population.

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1264
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2384
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
lol i dont enjoy my favorite "nerdy" stuff just for enjoyments sake. that would be something more like a candy bar. quick short pleasure. my favorite nerdy stuff fills you with wonder and love and excitement and drama and inspiration. if you don't feel this way then you probably are just a casual normie, not actually into it.
I wasn't comparing art even someone like Warhol to eating a candy bar.

if you don't feel this way then you probably are just a casual normie, not actually into it.

I don't really think it's a bad thing if you think I'm a normie, I don't know what you use to make your distinctions and don't really care much
BUT
I've seen just about every Marvel film and Star Wars film. I didn't see the Captain Marvel as a friend who knows me well said I would probably hate it. Also didnt' see the last Spiderman but saw the first one with Micheal Keaton as villain.
I've also watched Supergirl, Legends, Arrow and The Flash.

My all time favorite TV shows are 1. Buffy and 2. Breaking Bad. I love each for different reasons but I think both are near perfect. My only criticism of Buffy is they should have stopped when she died for he sister. The extra seasons were still enjoyable but I think it would have been more 'true' and complete for me if they didn't raise her from the dead and what came after that point wasn't as good as previous.
Breaking Bad was just close to perfect as you can get for me.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1842
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4597
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pitbulls are a crossbreed from bulldogs and terriers. Bulldogs are bred to kill bulls and bears, the reason pitbulls where crossbred with terriers were to make them better fighters. They're literally bred to fight hence the name. Pitbulls are 500% more deadly than all other dog breeds combined. And the reason you're seeing them in shelters all the time is because they're a shit pet and they all should be euthanized as they're not fit to live in our society. Fuck off with posting cute pictures of them to try to make them seem less intimidating like they won't kill your cat or baby.
Image
And remember this graph is despite only making up about 6% of the dog population.
The reason for that is simply that the people who train dogs for killing are more likely to get pit bulls. If we got rid of pit bulls there'd just be another dog breed at the top of the list. Dogs almost always end up reflecting on their owners, not on their breeds.

That graph is completely misguided for plotting the dog breeds. It should be plotting the traits of the owners. That plot is equivalent to pointing out that Subarus are the cars most likely to get speeding offenses -- that says nothing about Subarus. It does say something about their drivers.

I've spent a lot of time with a lot of time with pit bulls. They're very loving dogs. I'd be happy getting one if I didn't spend so much time travelling. I'd also be responsible and get a dog from a good shelter, one who was neutered or spayed, not a dog from some asshole breeder.
Last edited by Afro_Vacancy 2 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1960
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4338
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day
Location: Belgium
Age: 30
Contact:

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
And remember this graph is despite only making up about 6% of the dog population.
:thinking:

pepe-sweating

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/10/17182692/ ... licy-wrong

pepe-endearing
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

User avatar
Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 434
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 564
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

Hairblues wrote:
2 weeks ago
I wasn't comparing art even someone like Warhol to eating a candy bar.

if you don't feel this way then you probably are just a casual normie, not actually into it.

I don't really think it's a bad thing if you think I'm a normie, I don't know what you use to make your distinctions and don't really care much
BUT
I've seen just about every Marvel film and Star Wars film. I didn't see the Captain Marvel as a friend who knows me well said I would probably hate it. Also didnt' see the last Spiderman but saw the first one with Micheal Keaton as villain.
I've also watched Supergirl, Legends, Arrow and The Flash.

My all time favorite TV shows are 1. Buffy and 2. Breaking Bad. I love each for different reasons but I think both are near perfect. My only criticism of Buffy is they should have stopped when she died for he sister. The extra seasons were still enjoyable but I think it would have been more 'true' and complete for me if they didn't raise her from the dead and what came after that point wasn't as good as previous.
Breaking Bad was just close to perfect as you can get for me.
what i mean by casual normie, is someone who just watches things to watch it, and doesn't really appreciate it.

and i was talking about how you seemed to be putting down nerdy stuff as short meaningless pleasure, like a candy bar. no, theyre so much more than that.

breaking bad was really good, very realistic. i could actually see it happening. great performances and i love the extended scarface thing. the slow descent into evil because of narcissism . DCTV has great drama. i love flash and legends. what i like about arrowverse is they arent scared to take comic book stuff seriously, unlike MCU. and of course much greater character focus. flash also has that crazy trippy atmosphere which is very cool. a lot of good music in the arrowverse too, especially in flash.

User avatar
Pat
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 926
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Dutasteride, minoxidil, ketokonazole, dermarolling.

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Pat » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
The reason for that is simply that the people who train dogs for killing are more likely to get pit bulls. If we got rid of put bulls there'd just be another dog breed at the top of the list. Dogs almost always end up reflecting on their owners, not on their breeds.

That graph is completely misguided for plotting the dog breeds. It should be plotting the traits of the owners. That plot is equivalent to pointing out that Subarus are the cars most likely to get speeding offenses -- that says nothing about Subarus. It does say something about their drivers.

I've spent a lot of time with a lot of pit bulls. They're very loving dogs. I'd be happy getting one of I didn't spend so much travelling. I'd also be responsible and get a dog from a good shelter, not some asshole breeder.
As I said in my first post these dogs are literally bred for things that are outlawed. In this post you're basically saying that nature doesn't matter that it's all nurture, which is retarded. Not only are they physically bred to kill, they're also mentally bred for that, it's in their DNA. Many countries such as Norway have already banned the "beautiful and loving" dogs.

I don't even need to argue this as I'm willing to bet you'd change your tone if you had kids.

This is video is anecdotal and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things like your picture of those cute beasts, but do you think these old folks purposefully bred their dogs to be aggressive? Do you think they bred it to lose it's mind once the nice old grandma gets wet? They bite out of nowhere and you and everyone around you would always be on your toes around a dog like that.

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1264
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2384
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
what i mean by casual normie, is someone who just watches things to watch it, and doesn't really appreciate it.

and i was talking about how you seemed to be putting down nerdy stuff as short meaningless pleasure, like a candy bar. no, theyre so much more than that.

breaking bad was really good, very realistic. i could actually see it happening. great performances and i love the extended scarface thing. the slow descent into evil because of narcissism . DCTV has great drama. i love flash and legends. what i like about arrowverse is they arent scared to take comic book stuff seriously, unlike MCU. and of course much greater character focus. flash also has that crazy trippy atmosphere which is very cool. a lot of good music in the arrowverse too, especially in flash.
That wasn’t what my analogy was saying. It was saying that the level those shows make me think about stuff isn’t on same level as some other stuff that can bring you down or bring you deeper into thought.

It’s like I watched The House That’s jack built recently (and it wasn’t even that good) but it really brings you down (plus it’s a kind of gross to watch) and it was one of those films that was hard to watch but was good to discuss afterwards to some extent. (Not the MAGA stuff but the narsacism I’d serial killers and the comparison to the director himself using this character as a representative of his own view on his work)

Sometimes I don’t want to go that deep and when I say deep I mean depressing deep or ugly deep.
Meloncholia is a film that’s brilliant in a lot of ways but it’s also slow and depressing and hard to watch. It’s the reflection afterwards on some of these films. The realism of emotions.

I shared a film here a while ago Naked that for me when I watched it my brain felt drained. I don’t feel drained from Arrow. I like arrow a lot as storytelling and performances but I don’t feel emotionally or mentally drained after like Naked did for me in my 20s..(it may be dated now as it’s not an originals concept)

Sometimes I re watch The Lion In Winter juat for the dialogue alone. Every time I watch that film, I catch a piece of dialogue that’s brilliant that I missed earlier. It’s not always an easy thing to watch because it’s old and it’s long. Same with All about Eve. There is some character work in that film that is just brilliant. But it’s probably dated as some of the performance styles are melo dramatic for this time period. But the script is brilliant possibly one of the best scripts ever written.

User avatar
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1842
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 4597
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

JLBB wrote:
2 weeks ago
"A while back I told Admin that he should watch Star Wars 8. Not because I think that it's a good movie -- I don't. I think that the screenplay is largely incompetent. However, by virtue of being star Wars, it's a movie that's been wholly deconstructed. There are some outstanding video essays online explaining why the movie doesn't work, and this in turn makes watching it viable as a learning experience. To quote an old friend of mine who studied screenwriting at Columbia, it's not enough to study why great films work well, you also have to study why poor films fail. "

This is an interesting point and in a way I agree with it but it doesn't necessarily make the film itself any better or even a worthwhile viewing experience, as the same level of holistic detail to viewing could be found with films of higher standards too. The point your friend made is definitely true.

"Basically, when DOR makes a film, he makes everything secondary to drawing great performances out of the actor. That's his top priority. So evaluating him on other grounds is a category error. He also spoke of a friend who worked on a Nolan production"

This is just logically inaccurate. Very obvious intentional fallacy. Not only is the argument invalid, I don't even think it is sound in the sense that at least as a viewer of his films I have never got this sense, nor have I read it elsewhere. His style of direction and writing isn't the most distinct by a long shot, but most people interested in film can acknowledge he is an auteur, and I'm sure if you simply Googled this the consensus would absolutely agree. Being a writer/director aids this too.

"However, what a lot of people do after watching those movies us that they discuss and debate them on various grounds, they gave fun doing do, and through these back and forth debates they end up learning more about film and about how stories work. There's a ton written about The Joker for example, it's a great movie to watch if only to discuss movies. You won't find that level of discussion for King of Comedy. "

The Joker is a very good film in general, but I think that the obvious references and relevance to the current American political situation in so many regards is why there is more discussion. The fact that there is more discussion or more details to discuss in general doesn't necessarily reflect quality however, as you mentioned in regards to SW8. Without having lived at the time, I suspect King of Comedy is significantly more relevant today than it would be when it was released to the broader world. There is less discussion because it was released in a time without the internet, and it didn't have the superhero movie veneer going for it. I'm sure there is more than enough serious discussion on KOC however if you go looking for it, likely plenty of academic papers too. Its jut a little less fun to read academic papers than see the hype machine of mainstream media piss themselves over something like Joker.

"Where they have some value is as a gateway to more interesting filmmaking. A random person cannot make the jump from popular movies to watching Haneke and PTA. It won't work for them as the barriers to entry are too high, and the general education system does a poor job of explaining literature. "

Overall I think this is fundamentally dependent on the viewer and whether or not they are interested in the medium, art in general or broader perspectives (and Haneke is all about the medium) or if they are simply wanting largely mindless but also perhaps coherent and watertight entertainment. PTA I think most people could enjoy, at least some of his films. Along with Kubrick his films are immediately appealing and striking without understanding of or interest in the medium, although PTA himself is much more interested in trashy entertainment too. The amount of superhero films that could act as a gateway to cinema as a whole are minuscule honestly, the ones I mentioned before but 100% not something like Avengers. PTA for me was a gateway director, come to think of it so was Kubrick.
I can see if I still have the DOR-related comment if you want to read it. It night still be in my files. It's not completely misguided at all, it was written to me by a very knowledgeable person who was worked on his films. He prioritizes getting great performances from his actors. I think that's clearly true in his most recent movies. I don't see why the comment would bother you.

With PTA I find Inherent Vice to be a good example. Virtually everyone that I know who is my age or younger did not enjoy that movie. However, the people that I know who were alive at the time of the movies' setting (1970s) loved it. That means, to me, that the movie actually has a lot of value, it just has a limited target audience.

Edited to add: Though I have been meaning to rewatch IV with subtitles. I'll get around to it eventually lol.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

User avatar
yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Posts: 465
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1233
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Minoxidil

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
With PTA I find Inherent Vice to be a good example. Virtually everyone that I know who is my age or younger did not enjoy that movie. However, the people that I know who were alive at the time of the movies' setting (1970s) loved it. That means, to me, that the movie actually has a lot of value, it just has a limited target audience.
For me every PTA film is a little worse than the last, other than Phantom Thread which I thought was very good and somewhere in the middle of his work.
Hairblues wrote:
2 weeks ago
Meloncholia is a film that’s brilliant in a lot of ways but it’s also slow and depressing and hard to watch. It’s the reflection afterwards on some of these films. The realism of emotions.
I love Melancholia. It's 2 amazing films in one...

User avatar
JLBB
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Posts: 734
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 1483
Norwood: NW1
Regimen: 0.25mg Finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by JLBB » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I can see if I still have the DOR-related comment if you want to read it. It night still be in my files. It's not completely misguided at all, it was written to me by a very knowledgeable person who was worked on his films. He prioritizes getting great performances from his actors. I think that's clearly true in his most recent movies. I don't see why the comment would bother you.

With PTA I find Inherent Vice to be a good example. Virtually everyone that I know who is my age or younger did not enjoy that movie. However, the people that I know who were alive at the time of the movies' setting (1970s) loved it. That means, to me, that the movie actually has a lot of value, it just has a limited target audience.

Edited to add: Though I have been meaning to rewatch IV with subtitles. I'll get around to it eventually lol.
"He prioritizes getting great performances from his actors. I think that's clearly true in his most recent movies. I don't see why the comment would bother you. "

It doesn't bother me specifically someone saying he prioritises this, however 95% of "serious directors" would say as much and because of this its an almost meaningless statement. The part that annoys me is the obvious logical fallacy (specifically an intentional fallacy) in saying that evaluating a filmmakers work outside of what their focusing on, in this case acting would be a category error. You can't say its not misguided when its outright a fallacious thing to say lmao. He's widely considered an auteur with a distinct style, to pretend as if people see O Russel films largely for the performances, or that the performances even stand out beyond the writing or direction is still silly though. Virtually no one would or does say this, its totally silly.

""Basically, when DOR makes a film, he makes everything secondary to drawing great performances out of the actor. That's his top priority. So evaluating him on other grounds is a category error. "

You can't always be objective in analysis of art, but you can be objective in regards to whether an argument someone makes about said art is valid and sound. This just isn't.

When you bring up Inherent Vice, again I'm not sure you're distinguishing audience very well. Were any of the people your age or younger you know cinephiles or interested in film/PTA in general, or casual film fans? Like I mentioned before, there are people that watch films casually and for whom subject matter is very important (which is why people alive during the 70s might have found it appealing) and those who are interested in film as a whole. Beyond that, even critically and among PTA fans it wasn't that well liked either. Probably the worst of his films in a long time. Still interesting and very much worth watching but definitely a lesser work.

Does the fact that that a target audience gets a lot of value out of something make it a good?



Looking at this guy for example, he is responding in a way that implies it has great depth, but does the fact that people like him appreciate something or react this emotionally to it mean that it genuinely has depth or value, or is this guy just a fucking retard?

People are entitled to like things, but ultimately people who like cinema as a medium, have an understanding of film analysis, film history, don't distinguish what they like based on subject matter etc know more and are going to judge a film better than someone who casually watches a few films for entertainment. Same goes for politics, economics, sport or whatever. Everyone has opinions, and the fact is that people who think superhero films overall rival the quality or worth of serious cinema simply don't have the background or information to make that judgement. Maybe there are some examples where that isn't the case, (100 people on the fucking planet?) but I've had this conversation enough to know that taste and opinion is heavily influenced by knowledge.

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
Pat wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pitbulls are a crossbreed from bulldogs and terriers. Bulldogs are bred to kill bulls and bears, the reason pitbulls where crossbred with terriers were to make them better fighters. They're literally bred to fight hence the name. Pitbulls are 500% more deadly than all other dog breeds combined. And the reason you're seeing them in shelters all the time is because they're a shit pet and they all should be euthanized as they're not fit to live in our society. Fuck off with posting cute pictures of them to try to make them seem less intimidating like they won't kill your cat or baby.
Image
And remember this graph is despite only making up about 6% of the dog population.
Agreed that they should be euthanized and shouldn't exist. Although the picture is cute and saying "fuck off" is overly harsh lol.

User avatar
Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Posts: 1264
Joined: 1 year ago
Reputation: 2384
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I can see if I still have the DOR-related comment if you want to read it. It night still be in my files. It's not completely misguided at all, it was written to me by a very knowledgeable person who was worked on his films. He prioritizes getting great performances from his actors. I think that's clearly true in his most recent movies. I don't see why the comment would bother you.

With PTA I find Inherent Vice to be a good example. Virtually everyone that I know who is my age or younger did not enjoy that movie. However, the people that I know who were alive at the time of the movies' setting (1970s) loved it. That means, to me, that the movie actually has a lot of value, it just has a limited target audience.

Edited to add: Though I have been meaning to rewatch IV with subtitles. I'll get around to it eventually lol.
I think what it is, the way it sounds is like he doesn't care what his films look like or how they are shot, as if he has no vision, and as if he's not hands on with developing how his films look or how he shoots them...and that's not true..and I don't think you think that either nor are you saying that. (I don't think at least.)

There ARE some directors who don't care about the look of their film that much vs the performances.
I can't name famous ones off top of head but they exist, they aren't very visionary in a cinematic way that we think of film makers and lean on their department heads to get it done and just sign off on it and they only focus on performances.

DOR is a visionary in addition to caring about the performances. He wants the sets to be pristine for the actors to sink into their performances so on the day of shooting he's not thinking about anything but performances.

I also think he gets a lot of his ideas during his blocking rehearsals (he probably shoots his rehersals) for the camera, to change things up and keep it spontaneous. there is a way he shoots some of his scenes that it has a chaotic nervous energy that I think that is what your friend is talking about. To do that you need the setting to be perfect vs doing one set up over here, then we move over here to get this angle. And I think that's what is meant when he wants to only focus on the performances. Instead he wants the whole room lit, the whole room dressed, etc so they can just sink in and get lost..BUT he cares what it looks like.
Last edited by Hairblues 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest