Grown men and geek stuff

Since hair loss and dating are closely intertwined: discuss how to improve your chances with women.
That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Grown men and geek stuff

Post by That Guy » 2 weeks ago

So, I've seen a number of guys I know on Faceberg talking about some new Pokemon games that are coming out soon and they won't STFU about it. Now, what strikes me, is that most of these guys are in their 30s. Single.

I do not understand what appeal pokemon can have to a grown-ass man.

But further, women of Fred's forum: I'm curious to know your opinion on men who play pokemon or have other bugman interests like Marvel, Cartoons, Anime, etc.

Would you date a guy who you knew was into like, Pokemon beforehand? Like, if you saw him pop up on a dating site and you saw that he had a shelf of Funko Pop figures behind him, or he asked you out in person wearing a shirt like this

and yes, I see grown men, not just young ones either, wearing stuff like that quite often — how much does this stuff factor into whether he gets a yes or no from you?

Because I just can't imagine how this would help in the dating game.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day, Nizoral every other day

Re: Grown men and geek stuff

Post by Admin » 2 weeks ago

Pokemon is pretty great, even though I stopped playing it when I was 11, I hope to play its latest versions again someday.

The only way for you to understand the appeal is to play it, dive into the Pokemon world, but you most likely won't ever do that. My wife like many women used to play it when she was a kid and a teenager.

You harbor a lot of stereotypes, don't you? There's nothing inherently wrong with Pokemon or video games in general. To me as long as they have a purpose, which means a story that point to the deeper patterns of reality and a result make us better people. Online multiplayer games are another category altogether, even though they can offer some great experiences too, as long as you play them in moderation. For example, a Mario Kart session with my friends or my wife is loads of fun.

You probably have no idea of the depth the stories of some video games out there offer: Bioshock (especially Infinite), The Walking Dead (completely separated from the show but in the same universe), Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, Mass Effect 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Deus Ex, the latest God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Life is Strange, Xenogears, etc.

Of course, time need to be put into some of those (more than 30 hours for the RPG's) but man is it rewarding. If you don't have much time, you can pick up games like Flower and Journey which are like a couple of hours long and offer a unique experience that you'll never find in movies or other cultural artefacts (yeah I'm going to stop calling entertainment because it's much, much more than that).

As for its relation to dating, video games are a vehicle, a medium for stories with mechanisms that are better at making you participate in their universe. To me it's as weird as asking if women would be repelled by men who like movies, music or books.
"Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, “Go away, baldy! Get out of here!” Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the Lord. At once two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces 42 of the boys." - 2 Kings 23-24

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 2 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
As for its relation to dating, video games are a vehicle, a medium for stories with mechanisms that are better at making you participate in their universe. To me it's as weird as asking if women would be repelled by men who like movies, music or books.
There's also the issue that we shouldn't evaluate every single thing that we do in our lives with the question of "what would women want (WWWW) ?" It's a good question to ask in some contexts, but it's unrealistic to be able to live by that all of the times, it's not healthy as we need to live for ourselves, and fundamentally, women wouldn't prefer us to.

I've been thinking of taking boxing lessons for a few months now. I know that my cousin has had great success with it, he praises the sports on multiple grounds such as the fact that it's a complete sport, as in it works each of speed, balance, flexibility, strength, etc. I know that it will be awful for my prospects with many women. If that was my priority I would take ballroom dancing or salsa. It's also going to be bad for my confidence, my cousin told me that as a newbie, I should expect to be totally incompetent for the first six months. But, I did try taking west coast swing and I was really bored. I think that I might take boxing -- for myself.

Circling back, many women do have a lot of weird prejudices against particular types of men. Yes, some women don't like men who play video games. I've also read women say that they're suspicious of men who reverse into parking spots. Whatever.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

"I do still post to criticise others" - Rudiger.

yettee
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Regimen: Minoxidil

Post by yettee » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I've been thinking of taking boxing lessons for a few months now. I know that my cousin has had great success with it, he praises the sports on multiple grounds such as the fact that it's a complete sport, as in it works each of speed, balance, flexibility, strength, etc. I know that it will be awful for my prospects with many women. If that was my priority I would take ballroom dancing or salsa. It's also going to be bad for my confidence, my cousin told me that as a newbie, I should expect to be totally incompetent for the first six months. But, I did try taking west coast swing and I was really bored. I think that I might take boxing -- for myself.
I think you may find that as you do more things for yourself, and thus become a happier and more fullfilled person etc., you'll actually find it easier to date. I'm absolutely sure that I wouldn't have hooked up more if I had taken dance lessons or anything else I wasn't into doing.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
So, I've seen a number of guys I know on Faceberg talking about some new Pokemon games that are coming out soon and they won't STFU about it. Now, what strikes me, is that most of these guys are in their 30s. Single.

But further, women of Fred's forum: I'm curious to know your opinion on men who play pokemon or have other bugman interests like Marvel, Cartoons, Anime, etc.

Would you date a guy who you knew was into like, Pokemon beforehand? Like, if you saw him pop up on a dating site and you saw that he had a shelf of Funko Pop figures behind him, or he asked you out in person wearing a shirt like this

and yes, I see grown men, not just young ones either, wearing stuff like that quite often — how much does this stuff factor into whether he gets a yes or no from you?

On the bright side, your sense of humor is going strong. "Faceberg" -- I laughed.

Anyway, people need to relax and unwind. We can't be "on" all of the time, or at least most people can't. Relaxing can take the form of watching Marvel movies, playing Pokemon, or watching sports. Do you judge people who watch sports? Who listen to music? Everybody has hobbies, and all hobbies look pretty fucking stupid if you try and analyze them in some objective and utilitarian way. But in truth they fulfill many purposes, and one of them is letting people relax and unwind.

Imagine you were an alien looking at humans from space and you were on your first day of studying them. You might end up thinking to yourself "What the hell is this sleep shit? Why are these lazy humans sleeping 30% of the time? They should spend that time being productive !" That would be a completely rational assessment to make off of limited information. It would also be misguided and incorrect. The time spent asleep helps our bodies process what we did while awake. Just as the time spent in leisure helps our brains process what happened during the other times, and the time spent in between meals help our bodies with digestion, and so on.

I agree however that there's an issue with some people who take it to extremes, and define themselves by their hobbies and what they consume. That's sad.

A while back I challenged you to spend ~50 minutes watching episode 1x01 of Chef's Table on Netflix and to get back to us on whether or not the activity had any educational or cultural value for you. The challenge is still on.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
You probably have no idea of the depth the stories of some video games out there offer: Bioshock (especially Infinite), The Walking Dead (completely separated from the show but in the same universe), Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, Mass Effect 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Deus Ex, the latest God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Life is Strange, Xenogears, etc.
I'm familiar with all of those from back in the day, unfortunately, and I can say that literally none of those have plots that exceed maybe an average TV movie.

The only game I've seen with a story, characters, and plot, genuinely better than even the books they were based on was the Witcher III.
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I sincerely doubt that any sort of combat prowess is "awful" in any way when it comes to prospects with women. That just doesn't make any amount of sense. I'd wager that your boxing will help you both personally and romantically.

Unless you practice what you've learned on your dates...
Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
There's also the issue that we shouldn't evaluate every single thing that we do in our lives with the question of "what would women want (WWWW) ?"
No, but before the invention of the television, basically everything we did was to either attract a mate to start a family with, or to provide and defend said family. In other words, to give a crap about what women like and want from us is nature.

That scale has been massively upset to extremes, of course, but the point stands.

For example, If women did not generally favor men with fullheads of hair, and men likewise to women, none of us would be here. There'd be no real reason for us to care about it; we have no reason to care about cosmetic issues of the body if we have no reason to fear social rejection because of it; we find aesthetic about ourselves what we want others to find aesthetic as well. There is no man alive who wants to be taller so he can tell you whats on top of the fridge. There would be no women ripping out their underarm and leg hair with wax if not for the reason that it is widely considered aesthetic to do so.

So, especially with the white birthrate being at about extinction rate, with a lot of women and men alike opting to be lardasses and consumerist bugmen and feminists who ultimately wind up wanting nothing to do with each other, giving a crap about what the opposite sex likes in terms of appearance, interests, etc. is probably not simply more important than what you give it credit for — it should actually be a social priority.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm familiar with all of those from back in the day, unfortunately, and I can say that literally none of those have plots that exceed maybe an average TV movie.

The only game I've seen with a story, characters, and plot, genuinely better than even the books they were based on was the Witcher III.

I sincerely doubt that any sort of combat prowess is "awful" in any way when it comes to prospects with women. That just doesn't make any amount of sense. I'd wager that your boxing will help you both personally and romantically.

Unless you practice what you've learned on your dates...

No, but before the invention of the television, basically everything we did was to either attract a mate to start a family with, or to provide and defend said family. In other words, to give a crap about what women like and want from us is nature.

That scale has been massively upset to extremes, of course, but the point stands.

For example, If women did not generally favor men with fullheads of hair, and men likewise to women, none of us would be here. There'd be no real reason for us to care about it; we have no reason to care about cosmetic issues of the body if we have no reason to fear social rejection because of it; we find aesthetic about ourselves what we want others to find aesthetic as well. There is no man alive who wants to be taller so he can tell you whats on top of the fridge. There would be no women ripping out their underarm and leg hair with wax if not for the reason that it is widely considered aesthetic to do so.

So, especially with the white birthrate being at about extinction rate, with a lot of women and men alike opting to be lardasses and consumerist bugmen and feminists who ultimately wind up wanting nothing to do with each other, giving a crap about what the opposite sex likes in terms of appearance, interests, etc. is probably not simply more important than what you give it credit for — it should actually be a social priority.
Actually, men still had fun and leisure prior to the invention of television, it simply took on different forms. My understanding is that a lot of working-class men spent a lot of evenings in pubs drinking with other men and being buffoons. That probably did sweet fuck all for their prospects with women, but it allowed them to unwind.

Professional sports have also been big for approximately 100 years, and are actually a revival of an ancient tradition. The Romans, as you know, used "bread and circuses" to placate the masses. Was there any value in going to the coliseum to watch a man get eaten by a lion? Did watching that directly improve anybody's prospects with women? No, but they did it for fun.

Yes, what women want should be a priority, but they shouldn't be everything.

What do you want for yourself?

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

Admin wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pokemon is pretty great, even though I stopped playing it when I was 11, I hope to play its latest versions again someday.

The only way for you to understand the appeal is to play it, dive into the Pokemon world, but you most likely won't ever do that. My wife like many women used to play it when she was a kid and a teenager.

You harbor a lot of stereotypes, don't you? There's nothing inherently wrong with Pokemon or video games in general. To me as long as they have a purpose, which means a story that point to the deeper patterns of reality and a result make us better people. Online multiplayer games are another category altogether, even though they can offer some great experiences too, as long as you play them in moderation. For example, a Mario Kart session with my friends or my wife is loads of fun.

Of course, time need to be put into some of those (more than 30 hours for the RPG's) but man is it rewarding. If you don't have much time, you can pick up games like Flower and Journey which are like a couple of hours long and offer a unique experience that you'll never find in movies or other cultural artefacts (yeah I'm going to stop calling entertainment because it's much, much more than that).

so you're judging this stuff based on whether it makes you "cool" or not rather than its own merits. yet these "nerds" are the immature ones? lol

i remember you posting video game music anyways. i thought you were based :(

Added in 7 minutes 38 seconds:
lol at inspiring stories and fulfilling drama being simple "consumption". its creative expression and passion. i hate normies and boomers :roll:

yet you guys dont criticize mindless boring drivel like fishing ?

i dont get how normies can be satisfied with dull droll everyday life . thats really depressing

also lol at all those classic games being the level of shitty tv movies. you've gotta be kidding me

afro is right on the money. why does everything have to be about whether it attracts women? not to mention nerdy girls are a lot more common now, as well as nerds in general. women would much rather have the hot nerd than the ugly generic Boomer who watches football lol

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 2 weeks ago

Go easy on the Boomers, @exodus. They are the generation that brought free love into the mainstream.
Save me from destiny.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1 mg daily, Progesterone 2% (22mg daily), Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 weeks ago

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
There's also the issue that we shouldn't evaluate every single thing that we do in our lives with the question of "what would women want (WWWW) ?" It's a good question to ask in some contexts, but it's unrealistic to be able to live by that all of the times, it's not healthy as we need to live for ourselves, and fundamentally, women wouldn't prefer us to.

Circling back, many women do have a lot of weird prejudices against particular types of men. Yes, some women don't like men who play video games. I've also read women say that they're suspicious of men who reverse into parking spots. Whatever.
What if you suffer a brain injury? That's something to take serious. You might have a high IQ now, but getting hit in the face
can have serious consequences.

Was this due to the mugging.

You're probably better off moving to some place safer.
Think happy thoughts.

Exodus
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW6
Regimen: nothing

Post by Exodus » 2 weeks ago

blackg wrote:
2 weeks ago
Go easy on the Boomers, @exodus. They are the generation that brought free love into the mainstream.
not too sure on this but i think most boomers were conservative trump types. the hippies were just a highly visible minority. kind of like SJWs now

my dad said something funny about it, he described hippies as a "sideshow" and he is liberal himself lol

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
What do you want for yourself?
Aside from trying to gtfo Canada and my hair? Nothing for myself — though to be honest, even those aren't really for myself, but they're the only things I want now. I have just about everything I want for "myself"; have since I was like 18, since my list of "wants" is very small. Especially material ones. I don't own a tv, didn't own a cellphone until the last few years, drive an old car and I wish I didn't need it...
Exodus wrote:
2 weeks ago
not too sure on this but i think most boomers were conservative trump types
Lol the boomers are beyond shitlib.

They're the people saving establishment parties when foreigners aren't.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=633

But it's off topic

Hairblues
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Hairblues » 2 weeks ago

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago

Would you date a guy who you knew was into like, Pokemon beforehand? Like, if you saw him pop up on a dating site and you saw that he had a shelf of Funko Pop figures behind him, or he asked you out in person wearing a shirt like thisI

I wouldn't. But I'm 104 years old.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

That Guy wrote:
2 weeks ago
Aside from trying to gtfo Canada and my hair? Nothing for myself — though to be honest, even those aren't really for myself, but they're the only things I want now. I have just about everything I want for "myself"; have since I was like 18, since my list of "wants" is very small. Especially material ones. I don't own a tv, didn't own a cellphone until the last few years, drive an old car and I wish I didn't need it...
I don't believe this version of reality that you present of yourself as some undiluted stoicist.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Afro_Vacancy wrote:
2 weeks ago
I don't believe this version of reality that you present of yourself as some undiluted stoicist.
Whether you believe it or not is not my problem

Added in 37 seconds:
Hairblues wrote:
2 weeks ago
I wouldn't. But I'm 104 years old.
Fair enough