Minoxidil is good for aesthetics, and unlikely to age your face

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Minoxidil is good for aesthetics, and unlikely to age your face

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 10 months ago

Topical minoxidil is one of two FDA-approved treatments for male pattern hair loss. It works by accelerating hair growth independently of androgens. It is a low cost topical that many people have benefited from. However, there are nevertheless many irrational concerns with minoxidil to be found on the internet.

From my own significant research experience, I'll say that these are the two most likely outcomes:
- You get a modest improvement in your hair. This was my case and the case of many others.
- You're a non-responder. That happens to around half of men. It's not clear why that is. Some have suggested that one needs large quantities of the (congenital) sulfotransferase enzyme to better respond to minoxidil.

That is my view of minoxidil. People should perceive it and treat it as a decent band aid. You won't recover everything, but you'll recover some. The cost is very cheap, somewhere around $100/year or less. There is no demonstrated benefit to megadose minoxidil, and so don't. In my experience it's also convenient, as nothing bad happens if you miss a few days here and there.

Speaking personally, it has not aged my face, which many people report as a side effect. However, oral minoxidil, a blood pressure medication known as "Loniten", does have side effects:

https://www.medicinenet.com/minoxidil-oral/article.htm

These side effects include chest pain, rash, swelling, fast heartbeat. Those are some of the side effects that people report on topical minoxidil. I suspect that many of them are either megadosing mionoxidil, or applying it in the wrong places. If you do experience these side effects, try lowering your dose and making sure that you only apply it on the top of your head. You do not need to megadose minoxidil. You won't get faster hair growth if you megadose it. You'll just get the extra molecules going to other body parts and causing effects there.

In conclusion, here is a 6 month supply of Kirkland Minoxidil, available for $32:

https://amzn.to/2LrwWyZ

It can be stored at room temperature. If you're like me, you can drop 1 ml on your head after your shower, in the morning. The minoxidil is in a solution with alcohol, water, and propylene glycol, so you can also use it as a solvent for most experimental chemicals, should you be interested in trying them.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Norwood: NW2.5
Regimen: - 5% Minoxidil once a day and Adenosin shampoo
- Discontinued due to lack of results: Stemoxydine and dermarolling

Re: Minoxidil is good for aesthetics, and unlikely to age your face

Post by Admin » 10 months ago

Great way to kick off this section of the forum Afro! As you know, this "minoxidil ages your face" myth has always pissed me off. Every time you'd ask someone who thought they saw this side-effect if they read about it online beforehand, the answer would invariably be 'yes'.

Placebo (or rather nocebo) effect at its finest. I've been using it on my head for more than 9 years now and I barely have any wrinkles at the age of 28, just a very fine one under my right eye but since I've gotten back to a decent head of hair (after two 2000 graft FUE's), the train controllers have have started asking me if I was entitled to the discount for people under the age of 26. Two times already: "you're sure you're not under 26?!". Great feeling after having been stuck in Norwood cemetery for so long.

All this to say that if minoxidil really aged your face prematurely, you'd surely have seen it on me. Especially because I'm the kind of guy who's like "fuck it, let's pour 10ml to be sure every area is covered!).

It's crazy that some people have come to think this side-effect was real just because they read one study that said that minoxidil inhibited collagen production. Sure it's the case, but come on, it's not because you use Nizoral that the ketoconazole in it will give you erectyle dysfunction, it's just not that potent.

Some people use it to grow beards for God's sake, there's an entire subreddit didicated to 'minoxidil beards'!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minoxbeards/

You don't see them complaining about how minoxidil gave them wrinkles.

I actually started using it on my face a week ago for several reasons, the most obvious one is I want a fuller beard, and also to get more supply if I ever want to use beard grafts in the future. Unlikely but I always want to keep my options open.

The reason I only started doing this now is because I actually believed the BS I had read on hair loss forum about minoxidil giving you wrinkles. It had scared me enough to convince me not to use it on my face. Ah well, that's why we should always stick to the studies and never give in to the fearmongering.

It makes me sad to think about all the young and new hair loss sufferers who will be deterred from using minoxidil just because a few people are spreading fear online. I've seen this nonsense being spread on Hairlosstalk even by supposedly experienced long-term members. They should know better. At least there won't be any of that nonsense of this forum or at least they will be fought with science, reason and common sense.

That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by That Guy » 10 months ago

Just ask them to show you pictures of someone using minoxidil who visibly aged a lot in 1-2 years or so of taking it.

Strangely, they can never do it. It's always something like "I started using it when I was 25; now, I'm 32 and have wrinkles". You don't say?

whatevr
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie

Post by whatevr » 10 months ago

1.jpg
1.jpg (206.34 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Here you go. The entire area around my eyes looks like complete shit after 2.5 years of minoxidil, at an age of merely 26. Completely unnaturally aged compared to the rest of my face, with deep wrinkles that I haven't seen even on people 10 years older than me. The lightiing here doesn't even showcase how bad it looks with strong overhead lighting that casts shadows from the top.

It's pretty pointless without a before pic, but I didn't really expect this to happen, so it's not like I took before pics of my eyes. I've actually started applying creams around the eyelid area to try and combat this because I can't quit minoxidil until there is something better to replace it with. But I started looking into it when I noticed just how fucking aged the area around my eyes looks and it just seemed really rapid and too intense considering my age, and definitely not normal in my opinion. I've actually been looking at people's eyelids and have noticed that mine seem by far the worst out of my age group, and even with people who are significantly older than me (up to 10 years) - their face is aged uniformly, whereas mine only manifested these deep wrinkles around my eyes, and the skin there is also unhealthy looking and weirdly discolored.

I don't care what anyone says, you can convince yourself it's safe, or don't, we don't really have a choice anyway. But I am taking measures to try and get around this, because what good is hair on my head when I look like a zombie. Not much.

That Guy
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by That Guy » 10 months ago

whatevr wrote:
10 months ago
It's pretty pointless without a before pic, but I didn't really expect this to happen, so it's not like I took before pics of my eyes.
It's worse than pointless.

Further, I've had those kinds of lines under my eyes since I was like 23, dude. I know a girl from America who seriously had crow's feet since 25.

The skin around the eyelids is generally the first to wrinkle because of how thin it is. Dead serious man: It is completely natural at 26.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 10 months ago

That Guy wrote:
10 months ago
It's worse than pointless.

Further, I've had those kinds of lines under my eyes since I was like 23, dude. I know a girl from America who seriously had crow's feet since 25.

The skin around the eyelids is generally the first to wrinkle because of how thin it is. Dead serious man: It is completely natural at 26.
Same. I had that shit under my eyes in my mid 20's, before ever touching minoxidil

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

kj6723 wrote:
10 months ago
Same. I had that shit under my eyes in my mid 20's, before ever touching minoxidil
Sorry if it feels like I'm piling on but that was also my first reaction: it's just normal ageing and what appears to be natural dark circles probably worsened by lack of sleep, water retention or an allergic reaction which the minoxidil could cause (not the lack of sleep of course!).

Other than that, I see a normal amount of wrinkles for that age. I saw those kinds of wrinkles under my eyes very early (late teens) because my skin is quite thin under my eyes and I heve very deep natural dark circles. I'm just unlucky on that front.

I know how it appears to you whatevr but try to remain grounded in science and reality here. I know first-hand that it's easy to lose your mind over those issues. I myself believed that I was seeing abnormal wrinkles in my early 20's and almost stopped taking it. A lot of anxiety over nothing. Internet forums can be poison to the mind sometimes. That's why we need intelligent rebuttals like the ones from experienced people in this thread.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 10 months ago

Nah! I have been using Minoxidil for 20 years and can report that it does have an effect on your eye area and more generally on your skin. This is especially more relevant on the higher dosages like 10 & 15% . I have found the 5% is well tolerated by me but as we are all different it will effect people in different ways. It's a bitch that i only get a good response with higher dose!

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 10 months ago

Murkey Thumb wrote:
10 months ago
Nah! I have been using Minoxidil for 20 years and can report that it does have an effect on your eye area and more generally on your skin. This is especially more relevant on the higher dosages like 10 & 15% . I have found the 5% is well tolerated by me but as we are all different it will effect people in different ways. Its a bitch that i only get a good response with higher dose!
It's not surprising that higher dosages of topical minoxidil would behave like oral minoxidil.

The point of topical minoxidil is to concentrate the interactions on your scalp. However, it makes intuitive sense that the effects would go systemic once your scalp is saturated.

blackg
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru

Post by blackg » 10 months ago

Murkey Thumb wrote:
10 months ago
Nah! I have been using Minoxidil for 20 years and can report that it does have an effect on your eye area and more generally on your skin. This is especially more relevant on the higher dosages like 10 & 15% . I have found the 5% is well tolerated by me but as we are all different it will effect people in different ways. Its a bitch that i only get a good response with higher dose!
Welcome to Fred's new forum, Murkey. Good to see you here.
Let's pay the slaves

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 10 months ago

How could i resist Blackg?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even our beloved former moderator is now directly spreading this nonsense about minoxidil ageing your skin:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1678622

The guy often insists on remaining objective and sticking to the studies when it comes to finasteride.

I guess that goes out the window when it's about a treatment he doesn't have to use to save his own hair. Ah well, this is not surprising.

Keep applying your minoxidil kids, you can't afford not to use any treatment that's working when it comes to this disease.

kj6723
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Hair Loss Enthusiast
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Dutasteride .5mg daily, minoxidil 5% 1-2x daily, dermastamp 1.5mm weekly, nizoral 1% whenever

Post by kj6723 » 10 months ago

Admin wrote:
10 months ago
Even our beloved former moderator is now directly spreading this nonsense about minoxidil ageing your skin:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/t ... st-1678622

The guy often insists on remaining objective and stick to the studies when it comes to finasteride.

I guess that goes out the window when it's about a treatment he doesn't have to use to save his own hair. Ah well, this is not surprising.

Keep applying your minoxidil kids, you can't afford not to use any treatment that's working when it comes to this disease.
A moderator telling a guy who wants more hair that minoxidil gives skin sides?

HairLossTalk has officially descended into the dark ages.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

kj6723 wrote:
10 months ago
A moderator telling a guy who wants more hair that minoxidil gives skin sides?

HairLossTalk has officially descended into the dark ages
No one will challenge him on this it seems. I know that if I would have done so, the usual shitstorm (or cacophonia as Afro puts it) would have ensued.

I think that's irresponsible of a forum as influential as HairLossTalk, newbies could go there, see that a supposedly experienced mod says that minoxidil ages your skin and we know the rest.

More hair loss for that kid, more misery, only because of some careless fearmongering. That can do a lot of damage.

As I've said above in this thread, men and female to male transgender people have been using it on their face since it was around to grow a proper beard. Yet you never heard about this "minoxidil gives wrinkles" nonsense until like the late 2000's. The dark side of the internet and self-reported BS.

Just because one guy had to pick up this "minoxidil inhibits collagen in-vitro: "Minoxidil is an inhibitor of lysyl hydroxylase, an enzyme involved in collagen production, and decreases collagen production in vitro. " This is the original study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7672621

And of course besides that we never had any evidence that this statement meant that it would age your face, especially since you're supposed to apply it on your scalp if you suffer from androgenetic alopecia.

Anyway, it's always the same pattern, someone sees a guy who read somewhere that minoxidil caused wrinkles complan about seeing wrinkles, so now all of a sudden, he notices lines that had always been there and often normal for his age, and he perpetuates this harmful myth: "I have wrinkles now! Minoxidil gave me wrinkles!"

Stupid. You have to wonder who's the moron who started it all after reading the original study.

MadScientist
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Finasteride eod, Dutasteride eod, Minoxidil 5%, Dermarolling 1.5mm every 2 weeks. Vitamin K2, EGCG. Cod liver oil.

Post by MadScientist » 10 months ago

There is a theory that hair loss is caused by fibrosis from chronic inflammation and scalp calcification. Fibrosis is a build up of collagen fibers in the skin which restricts blood flow to follicles. Aside from the prostaglandin angle and blood vessel dialation, one theory is that minoxidil breaks down collagen fibers in your scalp which would aid in blood supply to follicles. No idea if true, but much like you guys, I haven’t noticed any facial aging with 5 years of minoxidil use.