Hair loss may have been cured decades ago

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
nameless
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: None at this time.

Post by nameless » 2 weeks ago

Just to let you all know, they might have been able to cure hair loss decades ago.

Cullen Jahoda successfully transplanted hair cells (not entire follicles) from one person to another and the transplanted cells grew new hair and the immune system didn't reject the cells or the hair. Hence, the hair growth industry believes that it might be possible to grow full heads of hair on people by transplanting hair cells from one person to another. I have no idea why there has been no attempt to possibly try to take this idea to mass production. From what I've read about this it sounds like if you used these cells (sheath cells) to try this the new hairs you grow might match the hairs you already have because these sheath cells themselves do not become or create hairs. Rather they instruct your own existing skin cells in your scalp to create hairs. in my opinion that means that the new follicles and hairs would come from your own skin cells.

https://www.nature.com/news/1999/991104 ... 04-12.html

I have always thought that this info is interesting and that it might be a big mistake for the hair growth industry to ignore this information.

rclark
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW4
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg topical, topical Progesterone 2% (topical only, Minoxidil 15% hair growth only).
Using 1.5 mm needle on all bald/balding areas weekly.

Post by rclark » 2 weeks ago

nameless wrote: 2 weeks ago Just to let you all know, they might have been able to cure hair loss decades ago.

Cullen Jahoda successfully transplanted hair cells (not entire follicles) from one person to another and the transplanted cells grew new hair and the immune system didn't reject the cells or the hair. Hence, the hair growth industry believes that it might be possible to grow full heads of hair on people by transplanting hair cells from one person to another. I have no idea why there has been no attempt to possibly try to take this idea to mass production. From what I've read about this it sounds like if you used these cells (sheath cells) to try this the new hairs you grow might match the hairs you already have because these sheath cells themselves do not become or create hairs. Rather they instruct your own existing skin cells in your scalp to create hairs. in my opinion that means that the new follicles and hairs would come from your own skin cells.

https://www.nature.com/news/1999/991104 ... 04-12.html

I have always thought that this info is interesting and that it might be a big mistake for the hair growth industry to ignore this information.
Great article. This actually gives me hope.