Are androgens the sole problem?

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
ItSucks
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride, ru58841

Are androgens the sole problem?

Post by ItSucks » 7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this is the right section to post this in. I am relatively new to the hairloss prevention scene.

But what I don't understand is that if androgens are the sole reason behind genetic androgenic alopecia then how come ru58841 (which supposedly blocks both t and dht from reaching the hair follicles) isn't widely used? Surely if you are a good responder to it then (in theory) you should be able to maintain everything that you have.

Afro_Vacancy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: 1 ml of 5% liquid minoxidil, includes ~20 mg of RU58841 58841; nizoral 3x/week, dermarolling (1.5 mm) 1x/week

Re: Are androgens the sole problem?

Post by Afro_Vacancy » 7 months ago

ItSucks wrote:
7 months ago
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if this is the right section to post this in. I am relatively new to the hairloss prevention scene.

But what I don't understand is that if androgens are the sole reason behind genetic androgenic alopecia then how come ru58841 (which supposedly blocks both t and dht from reaching the hair follicles) isn't widely used? Surely if you are a good responder to it then (in theory) you should be able to maintain everything that you have.
The company that was developing RU58841 dropped it in the 1990s because they believed that it would not make a lot of money. The studies showed that it was only comparable to minoxidil, not better. People are as such reluctant to use it because it had not been backed by as much experience. There are four studies on RU58841, none lasting more than a year.

Balding and non balding men have similar androgen levels in their blood. However, balding men have more androgen receptors on their scalp. So it's sensitivity to androgens that matters.

Finally, it is definitely the case that androgens matter for hair loss. However, it is impossible to prove that nothing else matters. Think about it.
PhD in Internalized Incelism.

I had a hair transplant operation with the clinic of Dr. Emrah Cinik in Istanbul, with 2750 grafts being mostly placed in the front. It was a success both for general aesthetics and general well-being, and I encourage others to do the same.

pjhair
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert

Post by pjhair » 7 months ago

ItSucks wrote:
7 months ago
But what I don't understand is that if androgens are the sole reason behind genetic androgenic alopecia
Almost certainly not. If that were the case then people with similar level of androgens will experience similar level of baldness in 100% of the cases. But that's clearly not the case. Like Afro pointed out, sensitivity to androgen, androgen receptors, genetic predisposition and possibly some other unknown factors are at play here. No one really knows.
Trump 2020

Guest-2
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW1.5
Regimen: Topical minoxidil and finasteride

Post by Guest-2 » 7 months ago

I think for some of us they matter but i think for others it’s more to do with inflammation.
I’ve never had that itchy/burning/bug sensation that some have discussed and I (knock wood) have been a pretty good and steady response to treatment. Not perfect but good enough I’ve been maintaining.
Some keep losing no matter how much they address the androgens.

EvilLocks
Hair Loss Expert
Hair Loss Expert
Norwood: NW5
Regimen: Nada

Post by EvilLocks » 7 months ago

Hairblues wrote:
7 months ago
I’ve never had that itchy/burning/bug sensation that some have discussed and I (knock wood) have been a pretty good and steady response to treatment.
I've had it since day one, and no surprise here - I am bald AF after 6.5 years of aggressive baldness. "The itch" is never a good sign I believe. Why some people get it and others don't is a mystery to me, but from everyone I have talked to with the itchy scalp pretty much everyone has suffered from aggressive baldness. Maybe it's sensitivity to androgens coupled with inflammation. I am hypothyroid (which I am being treated for) so maybe that has played a part, but since medication has not helped grow any hair back or even slow down the balding process, I am a bit skeptical. Even now with a NW5 under my hair system I still feel that crawly itchy feeling, it's horrible, I thought it would ease up as more and more follicles died, but I guess not :cry: