Questions about minoxidil, finasteride and shedding

Discuss proven and experimental available hair loss solutions: minoxidil, finasteride, concealers, etc.
supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW2
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

I am quite new to the hair loss community and all the knowledge that have been shared among its members so bare with me guys. I would like to ask some questions which are bothering me lately.

To give some context, I have been on Minoxidil 5% for around 6 months and nearly 3 months on Finasteride. I use Minoxidil liquid and usually apply it just once a day 2ml in the evening. Is applying twice a day, 2 * 1ml in the morning and evening better and more effective? Is it normal for hair to fall out when applying Minoxidil to scalp? Mine fall out each time I apply Minoxidil and massage/rub it into the scalp with my fingers (usually very gently, just running my fingers couple of times through the hair where I applied which is my temples, hair line a little bit behind my hair line).

On good days maybe 5 - 10 hairs fall out and on bad days (had some of these recently but it came back to normal) 10 - 20. Some posters on various forums say that Minoxidil shed happens only once. I'm not sure if this is shedding or just normal reaction. It only happens during direct application of Minoxidil to scalp, when the hair come into contact with it. Other than that, during a day my hair seem to be strong and do not fall out if I run my hands through them (which happened a lot before I started doing anything about my hair loss).

My hair line became much stronger with Minoxidil (at least it feels to me like did) and I noticed some regrow in the form of baby hairs in places where I definitely did not have any hair and also along my hair line.

When showering and massaging shampoo into scalp I lose 0 - 5 hairs and sometimes 5 - 10 but usually no more than that and definitely less than when applying Minoxidil. Apparently its normal to lose an average of 100 hair strands a day, So I guess it is normal. Just need some reassurance.
Last edited by Admin 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Lisibility and more SEO friendly title

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Re: Some questions to more experienced colleagues

Post by That Guy » 1 year ago

I shed constantly for about a year after starting the treatment. I was sure I was going to go bald.

But I didn't, and now I've been on the meds and stuff for more than 2 years and my hair is much better than when I started. So stick with it.

supremegentleman
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Regimen: Finasteride 1mg daily
Minoxidil 5% 2ml daily
1.5mm dermarolling daily
Nizoral 2% shampoo x3 a week

Post by supremegentleman » 1 year ago

That Guy, what do you use? My regimen is currently 1mg Finasteride everyday, topical Minoxidil 2ml everyday and washing my hair with Nizoral 2% every third day. And I'm planning to start derma rolling with 1.5mm needles soon.

Murkey Thumb
Hair Loss Rookie
Hair Loss Rookie
Norwood: NW4

Post by Murkey Thumb » 1 year ago

It depends upon the individual really. I have used minoxidil for over 20 years and some of the sheds can be brutal but overall you will grow back more than you lose. My belief is that it is just a sticking plaster because even if you are on minoxidil and finasteride over the years you will still lose ground. It will buy you a good 5-10 years though after that it tends to be less effective.

That Guy
Hair Loss Guru
Hair Loss Guru
Norwood: NW2.5

Post by That Guy » 1 year ago

supremegentleman wrote:
1 year ago
That Guy, what do you use? My regimen is currently 1mg Finasteride everyday, topical Minoxidil 2ml everyday and washing my hair with Nizoral 2% every third day. And I'm planning to start derma rolling with 1.5mm needles soon.
I use 1mg finasteride every day, minoxidil twice a day, and recently added dermarolling 1.5mm

MadScientist
Hair Loss Newbie
Hair Loss Newbie
Regimen: Finasteride eod, Dutasteride eod, Minoxidil 5%, Dermarolling 1.5mm every 2 weeks. Vitamin K2, EGCG. Cod liver oil.

Re: Questions about minoxidil, finasteride and shedding

Post by MadScientist » 1 year ago

I've been on finasteride and minoxidil since August 2013. I've been on dutasteride eod since early 2017. I've dabbled with 10 and 15% minoxidil. I've been dermastamping every 2 weeks for a year with 1.5mm needles. No matter what, for the past 5 years, I've been shedding minimum 200 hairs a day,every single day. Sometimes I think I'm losing ground, other times I think I'm gaining ground... I honestly don't know what to think regarding shedding, no matter what I do, it never ends. I also take lexapro every day, wonder if that may be a cause...